Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2012 Horror Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-12, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2012 Horror Challenge

This year the Summer Sci-Fi Challenge started a day early and I quite liked that. How about a bonus day!
Starting Dawn Sep 30th?
Old 08-04-12, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
This thread has got me in the mood to watch some horror. I think this month I'll mix in some horror movies with the animation challenge.
There are tons of anime horror titles that are eligible for the Animation Challenge.

I watched some for the Horror Challenge last year. Here's a list I made for myself last October:

Anime with horror themes:

DEVILMAN
DEVILMAN LADY
VAMPIRE WARS
VAMPIRE HUNTER D
VAMPIRE PRINCESS MIYU
USHIO & TORA
AYAKASHI - SAMURAI HORROR TALES: YOTSUYA GHOST STORY
SHUTEN DOJI
DEVIL HUNTER YOHKO
NINJA RESURRECTION (Parts 1 & 2: The Revenge of Jubei & Hell’s Spawn) (1997)
BLOOD REIGN: CURSE OF THE YOMA (Parts 1 & 2) (aka YOMA: CURSE OF THE UNDEAD)
SPIRIT WARRIOR
WICKED CITY
DEMON CITY SHINJUKU
GHOST SWEEPER MIKAMI
AMON: APOCALYPSE OF DEVILMAN
BLOOD THE LAST VAMPIRE
VAMPIRE HUNTER: THE ANIMATED SERIES (aka Darkstalkers’ Revenge)
TRINITY BLOOD
DEATH NOTE
HELLSING
BOOGIEPOP PHANTOM
TOKYO REVELATION
BERSERK
3X3 EYES
VAMPIRE HUNTER D: BLOODLUST
Old 08-04-12, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To reiterate, from the four questions originally posed:

- Earning a new wild card for every 100 films watched

- Changing 'Won an Academy Award' to 'Nominated for an Academy Award', ditching it altogether or adding more awards (ie Bafta)

- Combining 'Horror Host' with 'MST3K / Rifftrax / Cinematic Titanic'

- Combining 'Attack of / Day of / Night of / Return of / Revenge of' into one category or ditching them altogether
I'm in favor of one and three, eliminating four and two. Adding 3D as a category is a good idea - either watching a film in true 3D (Creature from the Black Lagoon, Final Destination 4 [which Netflix carries for rental], MBV, etc.), in anaglyph (Friday the 13th Part III, Nightmare on Elm Street 5) or a film that was originally projected in 3D (Jaws 3, House of Wax).
Old 08-04-12, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is it that time of year again already? can't wait!
Old 08-04-12, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Earning a new wild card for every 100 films watched
I don't use wild cards so I'm neutral on this one.
Changing 'Won an Academy Award' to 'Nominated for an Academy Award', ditching it altogether or adding more awards (ie Bafta)
After giving it more thought - change to "Nominated". That widens it enough.
Combining 'Horror Host' with 'MST3K / Rifftrax / Cinematic Titanic'
Yes!
Combining 'Attack of / Day of / Night of / Return of / Revenge of' into one category or ditching them altogether.
Either way. Combining provides enough choices to not limit you to only a few films, but ditching it would be good too.
...I'm having back surgery on August 29 and can't be completely sure when I'll be up and able to do so if I wait until September. It's being done out of town and I definitely won't be lugging my laptop around (tablet only), so who knows when.
Good luck on your surgery! I had a micro-diskectomy done about 10 years ago. Recovery from that type is faster than the full invasion type but it still is no fun.
Originally Posted by Pizza
I suggested this last year. To encourage more people to vote, make it that you can't be eligable for a prize if you don't vote.
I like this too.
Do you have a 3d category for your list?
Blech! I don't see all the love for "3D". If this is included at least make it so the film doesn't have to be watched in "3D" but only had to have been produced/enhanced for "3D" during theatrical distribution.
Old 08-04-12, 09:45 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I'll probably post more 'votes' later, but here are three quick comments:

Love the idea of no prizes unless you vote, even though this may knock my lazy self out.

Love extending our Challenges a bit, but hate the entire day early stuff. Dusk on the night before and dawn on the morning after are my preferences.

I always try to take vacation in October and can't wait for this.
Old 08-04-12, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
This year the Summer Sci-Fi Challenge started a day early and I quite liked that. How about a bonus day!
Starting Dawn Sep 30th?
I like this since there's a handful of Criterion titles that qualify. Since it falls on a Sunday, that would let everyone get a full day in. Even if someone doesn't own any of the titles, hulu is streaming a bunch of them.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
After giving it more thought - change to "Nominated". That widens it enough.

Either way. Combining provides enough choices to not limit you to only a few films, but ditching it would be good too.

Blech! I don't see all the love for "3D". If this is included at least make it so the film doesn't have to be watched in "3D" but only had to have been produced/enhanced for "3D" during theatrical distribution.
I agree with nominated for academy. Doing it as a winner of any award is way too much since there's all sorts of tiny horror award lists out there.

I like combining night/day/etc since it allows more films. What I also like is the idea of adding a lot more things to the checklist but doing them in small groups where you only need to do one of them. For those of us that do the checklist, that gives us more variety to what we watch from year to year. I know there's a few films I end up pulling out each time that I'd rather not watch but I have more interest in getting something checked, so I have to watch it.

I also like not forcing someone to watch something in 3D but if it was produced/enhanced, as being ok, for a couple reasons. Not everyone can see films in 3D due to eye issues. Not everyone is easily able to, or wants, to go see whatever 3D movie is playing at the expensive movie theater.

Speaking of theaters, I also like the idea of a bonus for going to one. They're freaking expensive, so it would be nice to get some extra benefit.
Old 08-04-12, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

+1 to deleting Academy Awards all together...

I also like the idea of a "killed by...[i.e. machete, drowning, etc]" checklist item.

Good luck to Chad with his surgery.
Old 08-04-12, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
...Speaking of theaters, I also like the idea of a bonus for going to one. They're freaking expensive, so it would be nice to get some extra benefit.
That sounds good too. I avoid them like the plague for many reasons, expense being one (why "rent" when I can own for a couple $$ more), but for those who *do* enjoy the experience they should receive some lagniappe for their effort.
Old 08-04-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If there are enough prizes available, perhaps one of them could require at least one theatrical viewing for participants to qualify?
Old 08-04-12, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Wow! Not wasting any time, eh?
To be fair to this thread (and I know the quote above came from the last year), the local Dollar Tree started putting out Halloween merchandise last weekend.
Old 08-04-12, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^I'll see your Dollar Tree Halloween merchandise and raise with Thanksgiving merchandise at Big Lots.
Old 08-04-12, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I also like the idea of a "killed by...[i.e. machete, drowning, etc]" checklist item.
Or why not something like:

List 10 different ways someone was killed:
1. --- -killed by x-
2. --- -killed by x-
3. --- -killed by x-
4. --- -killed by x-
5. --- -killed by x-
6. --- -killed by x-
7. --- -killed by x-
8. --- -killed by x-
9. --- -killed by x-
10. --- -killed by x-

It leaves it nice and open for variety.

Maybe start an optional stats section as well.
# of boobies
# of on-screen kills
etc.

I know at least a couple people were keeping track of it and I might try doing it this year.
Old 08-04-12, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Thanks for all the well wishes. My goal is to a) not die and b) survive a catheter being shoved up my penis. Honestly, the latter scares me more than any surgery ever could.

I remember you saying I could have any of the prizes, for no other reason than you really, really like me.
Sounds like something I'd be inclined to say when I'm on the heavy meds.

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Bela Lugosi's birthday is 10/20, so perhaps that could be a theme night, with everyone attempting to watch at least one Lugosi film (other than Dracula), and the more adventurous among us making a day or at least a double-feature out of it? As far as sponsors go, how about checking with Shout Factory and Family Video?
I'll consider it. Currently I have 10/20 reserved for the usual vampire films theme and acknowledged his 130th birthday along with the 100th anniversary of Bram Stoker's death. I was considering getting more specific with a few of the broad categories (i.e. "1980's Vampire Films" opposed to just "Vampires"), although that might limit things a bit much.

I would like to make watching a Bela film another option for a bonus entry. That way, those that don't care for what's playing theatrically or just don't have the time would have another option to still complete theme nights. But only 1 bonus entry allowed.

And Scream Factory's already on the to contact list. Family Video added.

Originally Posted by shellebelle
I like combining the "Horror Host" with the others.
Yeah, not all of us grew up with a local horror host. Personally the ones in my area were off the air well before I was even born. Just Joe Bob Briggs and Rhonda Shear.

Originally Posted by shellebelle
Oh, have a category for "Teen Screams". There are a ton of movies out there for that. I also agree with Nodeerforamonth in that it should be changed to "Horror Challenge" if you are going to allow tv shows. Personally, I would just prefer the movies with no TV allowed. But that's just me.
Noted. I believe the first theme nights list had Teen Screams on it although it never appeared on the checklist.

And sorry, just can't do the name change thing. As Mister Peepers brought up in the past, AT&T originally stood for "American Telephone & Telegraph" and obviously the latter is no longer relevant, but the name remained intact. Not to mention, AMC originally stood for "American Movie Classics" 10 years ago when competing with TCM and that's obviously no longer the case. The name is simply a tradition.

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Chad is only getting a jumpstart on the October challenge since it's possible he'll be out of the loop next month when much of the discussion, etc takes place.
Hopefully just the first week.

Anyone else take vacation days in October specifically for extra movie time? (Ok and 1 to attend Oktober fest)
I get 3 months off thanks to the surgery.

How about double points for live events (plays, conventions, ect).
Not that I'm against it, but the major problem with that is it's dependent on location. Not all of us have conventions and the like to attend.

And maybe kill/death-by checks? (Knife/machete, motor vehicle, radioactive liquor, aliens). Although that might add a bit too much to the checklist (just an idea).
I think there's room for a little checklist expansion.

I suggested this last year. To encourage more people to vote, make it that you can't be eligable for a prize if you don't vote.
I'm still on the fence about it although I do like the idea. Much like getting everyone to number their lists, it's almost an impossible feat. Even though it's a pain in the ass to number everything myself, well, I still do it. Don't wanna be a dictator forcing people to do something they may not want to.

Maybe a special prize drawing for those who do vote instead? I don't know.

Do you have a 3d category for your list? There's a few 3d horror films out now, not to mention The Creature of the Black Lagoon that's coming out.
Not currently, but I can add it. Naturally it would have to allow the option to view the films in 2D as well.

Starting Dawn Sep 30th?
I'd totally be down for that. That way we'd at least start on a Sunday instead of a monotonous Monday and allow for more Criterion challenge crossover.

Good luck on your surgery! I had a micro-diskectomy done about 10 years ago. Recovery from that type is faster than the full invasion type but it still is no fun.
It's a spinal fusion. As far as recovery goes, it's 2 or 3 months of no bending, lifting or twisting, 3 months of surgical pain, 3 months out of work, 1 month of no driving and physical therapy 3 or so months down the road. Fun times ahead.

Originally Posted by NoirFan
If there are enough prizes available, perhaps one of them could require at least one theatrical viewing for participants to qualify?
Sure.

Or why not something like:

1. --- -killed by x-
2. --- -killed by x-
3. --- -killed by x-
4. --- -killed by x-
5. --- -killed by x-
6. --- -killed by x-
7. --- -killed by x-
8. --- -killed by x-
9. --- -killed by x-
10. --- -killed by x-

It leaves it nice and open for variety.

# of boobies
# of on-screen kills
etc.

I know at least a couple people were keeping track of it and I might try doing it this year.
I like it. Very Joe Bob Briggs-esque. Yeah, this is going to be one big ass checklist.
Old 08-05-12, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
There are tons of anime horror titles that are eligible for the Animation Challenge.
I found Witchblade on youtube. Would you say that has kind of a horror theme in it?
Old 08-05-12, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

# of boobies
# of on-screen kills
etc.
I think counting the boobs might take the fun out of seeing them.

Now that I say that I am contemplating buying one of those click counters, like what they use to count people. But that might be weird....click.. click click click click.... "What are you doing in there?"
Old 08-05-12, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I found Witchblade on youtube. Would you say that has kind of a horror theme in it?
I've never actually seen any of that myself. I just looked it up and I'm kind of intrigued.

Here's how Anime News Network defines it:
Genres: action, drama, science fiction, supernatural
Themes: ecchi, post-apocalyptic, superhero
And here's their plot sum-up:
Plot Summary: In 22nd-Century Japan, Masane Amaha, one of the surviving catastrophe that destroyed Tokyo becomes the latest in an ancient line of women-only warriors to wield the mysterious sentient weapon known only throughout history as "the Witchblade". Protecting her little girl, she will face her worst fear ....
So it sounds more sci-fi than horror.
Old 08-05-12, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like calling it "Horror Challenge" and not "Horror Movie Challenge". That way TV shows can be included (legitimately).
Old 08-05-12, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i like the types of kill addition and will make me be more creative in my first few selections to add some creative kills *eyeballs Gutterballs*

i dont mind whether tv is allowed or not i always end up watching alot of Halloween themed shows

Does going to a Haunted house or a ghost tour count on the lists?
Old 08-05-12, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by terrycloth
Does going to a Haunted house or a ghost tour count on the lists?
I was thinking about making that along with the conventions and plays mentioned earlier as an optional item on the checklist, but might have a better idea in mind. Let me get back to you on that.

Anyway, so far I've added the following 3 suggestions to the main thread and checklist...

The bonus day:

This year we have a bonus day and it kicks off Sunday, September 30 at Midnight.
And, yeah, it technically ends on 11/1 at Dawn.
Earning a new wild card for every 100 films watched.

And the checklist "killed by" item:

1. --- -killed by x-
2. --- -killed by x-
3. --- -killed by x-
4. --- -killed by x-
5. --- -killed by x-
6. --- -killed by x-
7. --- -killed by x-
8. --- -killed by x-
9. --- -killed by x-
10. --- -killed by x-
Might tweak it just a slight bit.

Of course if anyone has a legitimate reason why whatever shouldn't be added I'm listening.
Old 08-05-12, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And I purchased a tally clicker. They are less than $2 shipped from china on ebay.
Old 08-05-12, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't like the whole extra day. I mean to mean October is horror, starting in September doesn't feel right to me...
Old 08-05-12, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
You've been on page one 3 of the past 5 years!

My suggestion for Chad: Make October happen more often.
only if you increase the posts per page... I do 25, so I never make it
Old 08-05-12, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I like the idea of the horror hosts, as on one of my local channels, Svengoolie airs every saturday night.
Old 08-07-12, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, back after a brief hiatus.

Gots to get more feedback on starting a day early. So far:

Starting Dawn Sep 30th?
Originally Posted by Trevor
Love extending our Challenges a bit, but hate the entire day early stuff. Dusk on the night before and dawn on the morning after are my preferences.
I like this since there's a handful of Criterion titles that qualify. Since it falls on a Sunday, that would let everyone get a full day in. Even if someone doesn't own any of the titles, hulu is streaming a bunch of them.
Originally Posted by Darkgod
I don't like the whole extra day. I mean to mean October is horror, starting in September doesn't feel right to me...
Last year we had already the good fortune to start on a Saturday. This time we'd be starting and ending on a bad note - Monday and Thursday. If we kicked this off a day early at midnight, that would give us an additional late Saturday night and all day Sunday. That's a full day of Criterion crossover and an opportunity to start off big. Look at it as the kinda/sorta challenge version of Devil's Night. It's not like we'd call it "The 8th Annual September/October Horror Movie Challenge" as we all know I'm stubborn in that respect. And hey, if other challenges can do it -and- FOX can air The Simpsons Halloween episode in November, well, there you go. That's my plea.

Is a separate poll thread in order? Not especially big on them and haven't done one in years, but if that's what it takes...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.