Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
It may be sacrilege but as much as I want to like Mystery Science Theather 3000 I'm never able to get into it. Night of the Blood Beasts is a slow bad movie made worse by obnoxious banter (MST3K never got beyond cutesy). The limited screentime the creature got was good in a B-movie Octaman kind of way. No more Tom Servo for me. I get the potential but it seems to often fall flat.

Next year I'd suggest the MST3K/RiffTracks/CinematicTitanic checklist item be removed.
I'm a HUGE MST3K fan, but I will admit a lot depends on the movie itself. Like any show, some episodes are just flatter than others. I would rather lose the horror host category. I don't have any interest in that checklist item, though I understand why some people have nostalgia over the horror hosts. I didn't have a local horror host and didn't watch any of the horror hosts when I was a kid. So, it holds no allure to me. I would vote to combine the horror host and MST3K/Rifftrax/Cinematic Titanic categories.
Old 10-13-11, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by clckworang
I'm a HUGE MST3K fan, but I will admit a lot depends on the movie itself. Like any show, some episodes are just flatter than others. I would rather lose the horror host category. I don't have any interest in that checklist item, though I understand why some people have nostalgia over the horror hosts. I didn't have a local horror host and didn't watch any of the horror hosts when I was a kid. So, it holds no allure to me. I would vote to combine the horror host and MST3K/Rifftrax/Cinematic Titanic categories.
I like the idea of combining them. I've no specific ties to a horror host since I didn't grow up with one and the riffing stuff is fun but not something I want to force myself to watch if I'm not in the mood. If they became one category I'd be okay with that.
Old 10-13-11, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I would vote to combine the horror host and MST3K/Rifftrax/Cinematic Titanic categories.
Combining horror host and MST3K/Rifftrax/Cinematic Titanic categories is a brilliant idea. Well stated.
Old 10-13-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I disagree based on checklists are about expanding what you'd normally watch and the checklist isn't a requirement, it just adds to the challenge. There's things on there I don't care for but that's the downside to trying to check it all off.

Or just combine it with host since it's about the same thing.
Old 10-13-11, 01:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Horrible idea to combine them. They're two completely different things, and the purpose of the checklist is to broaden your horizons.

Think I might be about to change my "worst movie ever" answer from Doomsday to Monster, Asylum's Cloverfield knock-off. Painful. I knew this was likely of course, but had a hard time finding qualifying theme night films.
Old 10-13-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
Horrible idea to combine them. They're two completely different things, and the purpose of the checklist is to broaden your horizons.

Think I might be about to change my "worst movie ever" answer from Doomsday to Monster, Asylum's Cloverfield knock-off. Painful. I knew this was likely of course, but had a hard time finding qualifying theme night films.
Hey, wasn't the horror host item your idea in the first place?

I think they are very closely related, especially if we're talking MST3K. Joel/Mike and the bots definitely serve as hosts. They make comments about the movies or do little skits outside of when the movie is actually airing, framing the experience much like a traditional horror host. The only difference is that they talk during the movies as well. But didn't some horror hosts do that as well?

Edit to add: I realize Wikipedia isn't the authority on everything, but even they list MST3K under notable horror hosts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_host Does that mean we can count an MST3K episode as both?

Last edited by clckworang; 10-13-11 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-13-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I always assumed the MST3K were hosts since the only difference between a standard horror host and them is that MST3K adds in comments during the movie. They both have standard host segments.
Old 10-13-11, 02:33 PM

Hey, wasn't the horror host item your idea in the first place?

I think they are very closely related, especially if we're talking MST3K. Joel/Mike and the bots definitely serve as hosts. They make comments about the movies or do little skits outside of when the movie is actually airing, framing the experience much like a traditional horror host. The only difference is that they talk during the movies as well. But didn't some horror hosts do that as well?

Edit to add: I realize Wikipedia isn't the authority on everything, but even they list MST3K under notable horror hosts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_host Does that mean we can count an MST3K episode as both?
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I always assumed the MST3K were hosts since the only difference between a standard horror host and them is that MST3K adds in comments during the movie. They both have standard host segments.
I might have been my idea, I do go through my checklist-mania periods. This year, so far at least, I'm resisting the urge to add back all the items Chad has deleted from past checklists.

Yep, I guess the MST crew are horror hosts, but I think the spirit of the checklist item was to experience at least one film riffed, and one film with traditional horror hosting.
Old 10-13-11, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I think I'm going to take a break from watching anything for the Challenge until Friday.

Too many things stressing me out right now for me to properly enjoy any film right now.
Old 10-13-11, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
I might have been my idea, I do go through my checklist-mania periods. This year, so far at least, I'm resisting the urge to add back all the items Chad has deleted from past checklists.

Yep, I guess the MST crew are horror hosts, but I think the spirit of the checklist item was to experience at least one film riffed, and one film with traditional horror hosting.
Hmm ... I think I found a loophole!
Old 10-13-11, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Netflix watch instantly link for Sauna in the discussion thread points to Night of the Comet. Also, Sauna isn't available for streaming.
Old 10-13-11, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

^Damn. That's what I forgot to do.
Old 10-13-11, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
The Netflix watch instantly link for Sauna in the discussion thread points to Night of the Comet. Also, Sauna isn't available for streaming.
Sauna is available for rental, presumably on a wide easily accessible basis, as a "Blockbuster Exclusive.". It is well worth hunting down a copy. Historical horror films are scarce and this one has some good cerebral depth and imagery (although it might not be for everyone).
Old 10-13-11, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

I don't usually comment on the movies I am watching since I let my list comments and/or the specific thread discussions do that...but I just have to say that Dog Soldiers is kick-ass. I've been a fan since it was first released and have watched it near a dozen times and never get sick of it. If you haven't seen this movie...quit reading this and go watch it now!

I mentioned this in the discussion thread but I see some people are discussing the turd Doomsday. I really thought that after the fantastic Dog Soldiers and The Descent, that Marshall might actually complete a trifecta. Alas, it was not to be. I pretty much hated Doomsday the first time I saw it. I do wonder if my expectations were too high due to my love the DS & TD but it seemed pretty damn awful. Do I need to give it a second chance? Were my expectations too high or is it really the turd I thought it was. I will wait until after the horror challenge to give it a second chance since it is most definitely NOT horror. I tried his other movie Centurion not too long ago and fell asleep. Another disappointment but it could have been because I was pretty stoned the time I tried to watch it. May have to give both of those a second chance.

Anyway...my point was...watch Dog Soldiers. Now!
Old 10-13-11, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Sauna is available for rental, presumably on a wide easily accessible basis, as a "Blockbuster Exclusive.". It is well worth hunting down a copy. Historical horror films are scarce and this one has some good cerebral depth and imagery (although it might not be for everyone).
Well, I am sad that there are NO VAst resources for viewing MOVies that are unavailable on Netflix or Hulu. With regard to snacks, I like to watch films with Dippin' DOTs, unless that's too COMmon.
Old 10-13-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally got around to watching Without Warning. Always get a kick out of seeing Martin Landau and Jack Palace in low budget '80s drive-in fare, although I prefer their collaboration in Alone in the Dark. They do crazy well.

A Blade in the Dark didn't really do it for me. I guessed the killer's identity in the first few minutes. The majority of the 1980's giallos just weren't up to par with their '70s counterparts, IMO. Most were too slick and polished for my tastes ...Opera being the notable exception. Anyway, the highlight was easily a cameo from the one and only Bob(!)
Spoiler:
donning a wig and dressed as a female!
...which is ironic considering his English dubbing on House by the Cemetery made him sound like a 40-year-old woman.
Old 10-13-11, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I had planned on watching The Haunting anyway.
Old 10-13-11, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Would Half Caste be considered found footage? It has the feel of a home movie. If not I'll just watch Trollhunter tonight.
Old 10-13-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Would Half Caste be considered found footage? It has the feel of a home movie. If not I'll just watch Trollhunter tonight.
I haven't seen Half Caste, but I'm going with if there's someone behind the camera or if it's surveillance footage, like Paranormal Activity, then it counts.
Old 10-13-11, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by shadokitty
If you haven't seen it, I heartily recommend Trollhunter. Best found footage film I've seen.
Old 10-13-11, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

So, would you count Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon as found footage? Some sites seem to list it as such.
Old 10-13-11, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
So, would you count Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon as found footage? Some sites seem to list it as such.
Only seen it once, but wasn't it pretty much a straight-up mockumentary? Maybe the ending was subtitled as found footage?
Old 10-13-11, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Well, it's a faux documentary style horror film, so yes.

BTW, The Tunnel (2011) is available for free via VODO, which is a 100% legal torrent. It's even listed on the official site:

http://www.thetunnelmovie.net/seeit

Fits today's theme.
Old 10-13-11, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Would Cul de sac count?
Old 10-13-11, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

today was half productive...
rewatched 100 tears with a friend..man that movie has a huge body count,
Aaah Zombies - which was a fun take on zomedy
gonna figure out what i want for dinner and see what grabs my attention

anyone wanna reccomend some shorts i can watch to round out the first few decades?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.