Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-11, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by clckworang
71 films into this thing for me, and I still haven't watched a film from the '90s. I usually don't pay attention too much to dates, but because of the checklist, I'm very aware that somehow I haven't managed to select a film from that decade yet. I guess i's true that the '90s were not a good time for horror.
I liked the early '90s. You had Full Moon starting, the mix of the last good Troma films before they all pretty much went to shit, and in general, you had the large influx of DTV but they were done by people with money, like Trimark.

It's not like now where someone with $200 and a bad script can have their garbage released one way or another.
Old 10-21-11, 11:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by supermike07
Just watched Phantoms (1998) for the first time - a great choice if anyone's looking for something to watch for today's "End of the World" theme.
Ben Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms yo!
Old 10-21-11, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On vacation until the 29th, luckily the friend I'm visiting loves watching the horror movies I picked out. Only downside is I've only got access to the web through my phone, so I'll be mobile updating until I get home. This makes editing my list a huge pain.
She and I watched Sleepaway Camp last night. I think we may try to watch Prom Night later.
Old 10-21-11, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

If anyone is thinking about seeing Paranormal Activity 3 for the challenge, don't bother. Movie was fucking terrible and completely different from the trailers that have been making the rounds.
Old 10-21-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

For anyone in the Santa Monica area there's a "Vincent Price Centennial Retrospective!" today through Sunday:

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=208275522571186

And there's a live stream tonight at FullMoonHorror.com to celebrate the launch of the new website with Tommy Chong and Gary Busey:

http://fullmoonhorror.com/PressRelease2011Oct17.html

I felt obligated to mention that after getting 17 emails about it and them being our sponsor and all.

71 films into this thing for me, and I still haven't watched a film from the '90s. I usually don't pay attention too much to dates, but because of the checklist, I'm very aware that somehow I haven't managed to select a film from that decade yet. I guess i's true that the '90s were not a good time for horror.
This post and a missing checklist entry just made me realize I've yet to watch a single film from the 1930's. So ashamed am I.

And I don't think the '90s were that bad. It did give birth to Hocus Pocus and Troll 2, after all.

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Unfortunately, the poster is the best thing about it, though it is fun to watch a young (and terrible) Bill Paxton act "crazy".
It can't be any worse than the 2005 Tobe Hooper film of the same name, can it?

Originally Posted by brainee
Out of curiosity, I tallied up my movies from the last 2 challenges by decade. I made no effort to watch movies from any time period - I just watched what I wanted to watch. My breakdown: 20's - 1; 30's - 4; 40's - 12; 50's - 18; 60's - 36; 70's - 45; 80's - 20; 90's - 3; 00's - 49; 10's - 9
Originally Posted by Trevor
Curse you; now I'll have to do a decade tally as well.
I'm doing one myself at the end of this. That's why I've been putting the years on my titles. I decided to do it when I noticed the absence of '90s films from my list. I might even go back and tally up my previous years. It's not something I usually pay attention to, so I think it might be interesting to see my viewing patterns.
Oh noes. I know where this going ...and it's already spreading.

Let's just get it over with: Chad will you tally up all the decades from the 150+ participants and include them as a stat in the results thread?

Sigh. I'll consider it.

Although I will include any that you tally yourself as a personal stat.
Old 10-21-11, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
If anyone is thinking about seeing Paranormal Activity 3 for the challenge, don't bother. Movie was fucking terrible and completely different from the trailers that have been making the rounds.
While I have no doubt that you're probably right, it has become an October Horror Movie Challenge tradition for me to go see the new Paranormal Activity movie. I feel obligated to go see it. Plus, I've got some movie cash for it.
Old 10-21-11, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I rented the first Paranormal Activity movie when it first came out due to the fame it got online, and I hated it. It's probably the ONLY movie that put me to sleep (twice!), and I watched it in the middle of the day! To this day I still don't see what people saw in this, and why they made 2 sequels. But everyone has different tastes, so what's trash to me could be someone's favorite!
Old 10-21-11, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen 2 or 3 but I thought the first one was decent except for the actress who was a bit annoying and that always throws you off but I thought the effects were decent considering budget and everything else.
Old 10-21-11, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking of the 90's, I've wound up watching a few films from that decade this week. All but one have been from the 90's so far. I might watch a couple more tonight, but it's tough deciding what to choose, since there are other titles I want to get to in the following week from other decades and time is running out.

I watched I Still Know What You Did Last Summer last night, and that is a fun sequel in my opinion. It moves at a decent pace, has a nice body count and is pretty bloody as a result, and even Jefferey Combs shows up in a small role bringing his sarcastic wit to the proceedings.

I also will say I'm a fan of Scream and think it's a very fun well made film that is still enjoyable today in my opinion. And the 90's wasn't nearly as bad as people online may make it seem. There was just about as many good films released as well as pure junk, just like in the 80's when you look at it.

But I do recall how bad it was on horror forums in the late 90's when I first stumbled on the web. Where there were constant fights between those who liked Scream and current stuff vs those who only liked 80's or earlier stuff and claimed to be 'real' horror fans. This drove many newbies off the forums as they were ganged up by those who hated anything current, and it was pretty ugly and not fun at all.

But in reality, most people liked various films throughout the 90's, and it was only online that you saw lots of hate at anything current or 'worst' of all, popular. And those people don't speak for everyone out there who don't even bother posting online about movies and such. So it's kind of surreal running into someone in reality admitting to liking Scream or some 90's films and not being met with a huge backlash. Since I almost expect someone to jump in with, "You're not a 'true' horror fan if you like (insert title here)" just like what would happen on the horror forums back then.

However thinking of the 90's is making me interested in seeing the films I haven't seen in years and don't own on dvd yet, like The Craft, and The Faculty. But I'll save them for next year probably, since I'll just continue to dig through my collection and finish what I can this year.
Old 10-21-11, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i know its not the most loved franchise but does anyone feel odd not planning on going to see the new saw this month?....

on plus side went thru my ryan nicholson marathon today with torched, live feed, gutter balls, and hanger. now if i wanna order bleeding lady.
Old 10-21-11, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycloth
i know its not the most loved franchise but does anyone feel odd not planning on going to see the new saw this month?
I definitely miss it. It had become a bit of a tradition for me around this time of year.
Old 10-21-11, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i know its not the most loved franchise but does anyone feel odd not planning on going to see the new saw this month?....

on plus side went thru my ryan nicholson marathon today with torched, live feed, gutter balls, and hanger. now if i wanna order bleeding lady.
Really? They have another one coming out this month? I've only seen the first but I have blu-rays for around 4 of them.
Old 10-21-11, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I never enjoyed the franchise very much. The gorehound in me has compelled me to watch as many of them as I have, but I've just never liked them.
Old 10-21-11, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Thirst (1979) is one if the best movies I've seen all month. In some ways similar to Martin in that it's a modern take on vampire mythos. There are a lot of over the top, darkly comical but also depraved, twists as a modern day vampire cult kidnaps the descendent of Bathory and attempts desperately to awaken her bloodlust. Much if the violence is presented with such a passive clinical outlook (almost medical horror) it's jarring; which to my taste is very creepy. This one would also fit the psychological horror theme day.
I watched that for the Exploitation Challenge this year. Sort of luke-warm about most of it.

Though I have to say, Chantal Contouri is mega-fine in that film.
Old 10-21-11, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
the last good Troma films before they all pretty much went to shit
I don't recall that there were ever any good Troma films.
Old 10-21-11, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Technical problems at work are making the end of the work week way more challenging than I would like. Now I really just want to escape into a horror movie.
Old 10-21-11, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Really? They have another one coming out this month? I've only seen the first but I have blu-rays for around 4 of them.
no they ended last year i meant it feels wierd not planning a saw marathon for next friday with some friends and seeing the new saw as iv seen everyone on opening night right before halloween. again not the greatest but not like we get much selection
Old 10-21-11, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I've seen a couple of 80's zombie movies that would make the Romero-zombie purists heads explode.

In The Video Dead, a hoard of zombies breaks into a house in the early morning when the owners are still asleep. Do they shamble up the steps to kill them? No ... instead they patiently wait in the kitchen for them to get up. One can even be seen pouring itself a bowl of Cheerios.

In Night Life, you have a familiar scene where the young heroes run away from the zombies (quickly putting a lot of distance between them and the monsters). What do the zombies do? Why, they pile into a car and drive after the kids, of course!
Old 10-21-11, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Technical problems at work are making the end of the work week way more challenging than I would like. Now I really just want to escape into a horror movie.
Well, as it turns out, the technical problems actually worked in my favor for a change. I'm leaving about 20 minutes early. Woo hoo! Let the horror begin!
Old 10-21-11, 07:21 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Decided that today's theme was as good excuse as any to finally subject myself to Birdemic: Shock and Terror. I'll report back later.
Old 10-21-11, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Got home from work and my wife wanted to go to Wal-Mart... then Big Lots... 3 hours later we *finally* get home. I could have done the same trip/purchases without her in under an hour. I kept thinking "I'm missing a movie because of this..." But on the positive side I passed 100 films last night!
Old 10-21-11, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Caught a trio of vamp pictures that probably don't get the respect they deserve:

The Return of Count Yorga - A lot goes unexplained, it's essentially a rehash of the first and the dry wit is less than before, but it somehow manages to be scarier and more entertaining ...for an American Internal Picture. And the scene where where he's watching a dubbed Spanish version of The Vampire Lovers is priceless. I'd always secretly hoped for a Blacula vs Count Yorga film.

Vampire Journals - A Full Moon knockoff of Interview with the Vampire and Bram Stoker's Dracula that holds its own. Not up to par with the Subspecies films, but definitely benefits from its Romanian setting.

The Vampire's Ghost - Vampirism and Voodoo. Unique in that it takes place in an African jungle and introduces new takes on the vampire legend such as re-energizing via moonlight. And John Abbott actually rivals Lugosi in many respects.

All three are streaming on Netflix.
Old 10-21-11, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I don't recall that there were ever any good Troma films.
I liked the first Toxic Avenger and the other horror that came out around the same time. Back when they got theatrical releases and put more horror and less comedy into their horror.
Old 10-21-11, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Got home from work and my wife wanted to go to Wal-Mart... then Big Lots... 3 hours later we *finally* get home. I could have done the same trip/purchases without her in under an hour. I kept thinking "I'm missing a movie because of this..." But on the positive side I passed 100 films last night!
You did spend the time looking for budget horror in those stores while she went around buying tampons, right?
Old 10-21-11, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a good day to view horror today. I managed to get in three which is probably the most that I will be able to get in on any day during the challenge. (1) Night of the Demons (2) Abandoned and just finished (3) The Howling. Enjoyed them very much. Now back to studying for a few hours before turning in.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.