DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

First Ever November Comedy Challenge discussion/suggestions/comments thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-11, 09:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: First Ever November Comedy Challenge discussion/suggestions/comments thread

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'd *love* to see the *a film with a "riff"* checklist item removed simply because I do not like "RiffTrax"/MST3K type productions. I typically wind up purchasing one for each challenge and watch it only because it's a checklist item. It would be very nice to not do that for a change.
Well, at least you can just re-watch one you've already bought, since any film is a comedy with a riff.
And no female comedians? There's: Jane Curtain, Imogene Coca, Goldie Hawn, Whoopie Goldberg, Madeline Kahn, Bonnie Hunt, Tina Fey, Teri Garr, Gracie Allen, Phyllis Diller, Cloris Leachman, just to name a few off the top of my head.
Women aren't funny. Everyone knows this.

Spoiler:
I jest. Checklist should have some women, and more TV as well.
Old 10-29-11, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Getting my wife to watch horror is no easy task, but she love comedies so I am hoping that my numbers will be more impressive for this challenge.

No more waiting for the fam to go to bed to watch my movies!!!! Yay!!!
My wife is the same way, sharing a TV makes it hard to score big numbers but since I told her about this she decided to challenge me. I think she's going to create an account and join in on the fun.

Originally Posted by supermike07
Okay, I've gotta ask...out of all the comedies made why'd you choose THE JERK for the banner?
I grew up with The Jerk, when I think comedy I think of Steve Martin. When I was a kid it was like a nightly ritual to put on the jerk.

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Don't be shy....I'm easy to work with!

Horror is my true love but I might even participate in this one too. I am just about horror'ed out frankly and could use some laughs!
Don't be fooled, I was just trying to clear another thing off my plate. I'm just ecstatic to have hamiltonbooks as a sponsor on my first go at this. Definitely join in! It should be a lot of fun.

Originally Posted by Trevor
If anyone wants, watch a wedding comedy on 11/11/11 and think of me. I won't be here too much this month; with the planning, wedding, honeymoon, and move to Maryland all happening; but will be laughing with you in spirit.
Congratulations! Knowing how busy that can be I just wanted to express my thanks again for all your help. Most of the checklist was taken directly from what you posted. My wedding fell during the exploitation challenge which hurt my participation but some things are better than watching movies.....not many though

I'd *love* to see the *a film with a "riff"* checklist item removed simply because I do not like "RiffTrax"/MST3K type productions. I typically wind up purchasing one for each challenge and watch it only because it's a checklist item. It would be very nice to not do that for a change.

And no female comedians? There's: Jane Curtain, Imogene Coca, Goldie Hawn, Whoopie Goldberg, Madeline Kahn, Bonnie Hunt, Tina Fey, Teri Garr, Gracie Allen, Phyllis Diller, Cloris Leachman, just to name a few off the top of my head.
I know it may be blasphemy but I'm not the biggest fan of the riffs either. A lot of people really enjoy them so I included it. I still haven't formatted the checklist but I forgot to mention I plan on allowing 3 wildcards for the checklist so if you don't want to do a Riff you won't have to.

I'm not sure how I overlooked so many great female comedians. I'll add a few names to the checklist once I get off work tonight. I did however make a ladies night in the theme night section.
Old 10-29-11, 10:32 AM

no, I'm not literally imagining you doing that

Originally Posted by takingchase
When I was a kid it was like a nightly ritual to put on the jerk.
Same for most of us I imagine.
Old 10-29-11, 11:26 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm quoted on the banner! lol. I truly think that comedy month is much needed after a month of horror.

Can't say that I'll have a bunch of entries because I'm starting a new job and trying to finish Millenium on DVD (and there is absolutely nothing funny about this show).

What is everyone's favorite comedy?

For me it's As Good As It Gets. One of the best Jack Nicholson performances in my book.
Old 10-29-11, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
What is everyone's favorite comedy?
Mine would have to be HAPPY GILMORE. The best movie Adam Sandler's ever been in!
Old 10-29-11, 12:36 PM

Mine would have to be HAPPY GILMORE. The best movie Adam Sandler's ever been in!
I only like Sandler in dramas, but this gives me an excuse to say that the videographer for my wedding did Chris Rock's wedding and has Adam Sandler in it, in their slightly-before-super-stardom days.
Old 10-29-11, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
I...What is everyone's favorite comedy?...
That can easily change with the wind... Right now I'd have to say:

A Night in Casablanca

... wait... make that A Day at the Races

... no... Monkey Business

...OK... make it A Night in Casablanca ...

Actually, just about any Marx Brothers film could be #1 depending on mood. Or most of the "Road" films with Hope & Crosby, or a Mel Brooks film, or a Python, or Gilliam, or...
Old 10-29-11, 01:38 PM

Love it! Also love THE WEDDING SINGER a good bit!
Old 10-29-11, 01:41 PM

That can easily change with the wind... Right now I'd have to say:

A Night in Casablanca

... wait... make that A Day at the Races

... no... Monkey Business

...OK... make it A Night in Casablanca ...

Actually, just about any Marx Brothers film could be #1 depending on mood. Or most of the "Road" films with Hope & Crosby, or a Mel Brooks film, or a Python, or Gilliam, or...
I love the Marx Brothers! Gonna have to try and watch both of the DVD sets that I have for this challenge. I also need to pick up the blu ray sets of the Buster Keaton stuff. I have THE GENERAL and STEAMBOAT BILL, JR. but would really love that shorts set because I've never seen any of those.
Old 10-29-11, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

If anyone wants, watch a wedding comedy on 11/11/11 and think of me. I won't be here too much this month; with the planning, wedding, honeymoon, and move to Maryland all happening; but will be laughing with you in spirit.
I own American Wedding. I'll save it for the 11th and think of you Trevor. Congrats.
Old 10-29-11, 02:12 PM

creepy like this post

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I own American Wedding. I'll save it for the 11th and think of you Trevor. Congrats.
Thanks! Try to make it early in the day. Later that night I'll be naked, and you all thinking of me would be a bit creepy.
Old 10-29-11, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Holy Grail and Young Frankenstein are among my faves. YF could be a good bridge with horror.
Old 10-29-11, 11:39 PM

Well I've updated the first post here and on the list thread with more info. I've still got some formatting to do and a bunch of links to add but at least everything that absolutely needs to be up is now in first post.

I ended up choosing made for tv movie and famous comedy duos for the two blank theme nights.

Please note I also added some more to the checklist so if you have already copied it to your list you may want to update. If someone by chance doesn't notice this it should still be fine since all I did was add some females to the list of performers you can choose from.
Old 10-29-11, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job, takingchase.

I'm a little late, but I think "Saturday Night Live character" would make a good theme night.
Old 10-30-11, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Nice job, takingchase.

I'm a little late, but I think "Saturday Night Live character" would make a good theme night.
Thanks, I'm glad it's finally coming together albeit quite a little late.

I was actually thinking about doing that but I decided that it would pretty much turn into "watch the blues brothers and waynes world" night since there aren't a whole lot of good SNL character films. However, SNL did make it into the checklist.
Old 10-30-11, 10:48 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't have one favorite, but a few. This is Spinal Tap, Airplane, Anchorman, Best in Show and Monty Python and the Holy Grail come to mind.
Old 10-30-11, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

One of my favorite comedies is Sylvester Stallone's gangster parody Oscar (1991). I'm also a huge fan of anything with William Powell and Myrna Loy. Libeled Lady (1936) is my favorite of their films (that I have seen).
Old 10-30-11, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Is November 25th a Psych question?

You want to see how many people watch Hollywood Shuffle & how many watch Little Murders?
Old 10-30-11, 03:58 PM

Just a suggestion, but if you're going to encourage people getting to 100, I'd switch it to the simple 1=1 counting of the Holiday, Academy Award, and Action/Adventure Challenges.
Old 10-31-11, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lokimok
Is November 25th a Psych question?

You want to see how many people watch Hollywood Shuffle & how many watch Little Murders?
I still have to add examples and links to the theme night.

Just a suggestion, but if you're going to encourage people getting to 100, I'd switch it to the simple 1=1 counting of the Holiday, Academy Award, and Actin/Adventure Challenges.
o

My only problem with this is that I think the list thread will get really convoluted with the abundance of sitcoms that will be watched. That structure works really well for the holiday challenge because someone can't marathon an entire series. I'm one of those people that looks through the list thread for movie suggestions and I can see it getting confusing when I'm scrolling through a list of every simpsons episode ever. That said, I'm not completely against this format. My original plan was to format the challenge that way but the more I thought about it the more I started leaning back towards the traditional challenge structure.

100 viewings just seems to be the gold standard for a prize entry on these challenges. I'm not necessarily encouraging that you watch that amount which is why I didn't mention it anywhere else.
Old 10-31-11, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

Don't forget Hong Kong comedy.

Look for Eric Tsang:

And the Hui brothers:

And Lydia Shum:

Not to mention Jackie Chan:

And Sammo Hung:
Old 10-31-11, 11:11 PM

I love Sammo Hung!

Challenge is officially on. Is anyone else going for a two for one with horror comedy?
Old 10-31-11, 11:21 PM

Challenge is officially on. Is anyone else going for a two for one with horror comedy?
You know I am! Watching a horror MST3K or two tonight. Work at 7am, but who needs sleep?
Old 10-31-11, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Currently watching Critters 3 and since I know it's going to be bad, I hope to get to Zombieland as well.
Old 11-01-11, 12:20 AM

You know I am! Watching a horror MST3K or two tonight. Work at 7am, but who needs sleep?
I have work in the morning too. A five hour energy and a cup of coffee and I'll be all good when it's time for work.

I'm in the middle of Botched with Stephen Dorf. It's a lot better than I expected so far.

I'm thinking Young Frankenstein is next.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.