Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-11, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Th Most Dangerous Game is a striking and wonderful film, had a great first time viewing.

Started my Inner Sanctum Mysteries set today with Calling Dr. Death which pales in comparison but is a nice horror mystery.

Looking forward to venturing into The Burning, Dead & Buried, and the I Slit On Your Grave commentary with Joe Bob Briggs tonight if I can get the time cleared.
Old 10-06-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by bse
Does anyone know if the upcoming (next week) Synapse release 'South of Heaven' is a horror film at all? I'm on my phone and can't get a valid answer on it via searching.

Can anyone suggest Uncle Sam or Vampyres? They're the only Blue Underground blu-rays I haven't seen in any format, worth picking up?

I finally bought Basket Case 2 after going my entire life without seeing and being a big fan of the first since middle school, I've always wanted to check it out, just never got the chance. now I just have to wait for Synapse to release the 3rd on blu-ray to finally see that.
I enjoy Uncle Sam its a cheesy film not the greatest, but enjoyable.
theyre both on netflix streaming if you have them.
Old 10-06-11, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bse
Does anyone know if the upcoming (next week) Synapse release 'South of Heaven' is a horror film at all? I'm on my phone and can't get a valid answer on it via searching.

Can anyone suggest Uncle Sam or Vampyres? They're the only Blue Underground blu-rays I haven't seen in any format, worth picking up?

I finally bought Basket Case 2 after going my entire life without seeing and being a big fan of the first since middle school, I've always wanted to check it out, just never got the chance. now I just have to wait for Synapse to release the 3rd on blu-ray to finally see that.
I liked Uncle Sam more than Vampyres but Sam is a silly movie, so if you get angry at bad movies, you shouldn't watch it.
Old 10-06-11, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Yeah, caught everything except his opening intro to Rio Bravo. In a nutshell he discussed the filmography of Howard Hawks and the influence on his work, his love for westerns, growing up in the baby boomer generation and James Bernard's unique approach to scoring his films, which is singing out the title. It was informative, but didn't really cover any new territory he hasn't already in his commentaries.

EDIT: Misread your post.
Thanks for the info. Wonder why my stupid AT&T guide showed different movies. Frustrating as I missed out.
Old 10-06-11, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bse

I didn't like Uncle Sam very much but I wanted to. I was really disappointed in it. I think Vampyres is pretty decent euro-trash horror fare with a great finish. I'm happy with my purchase of the blu.
Old 10-06-11, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I didn't like Uncle Sam very much but I wanted to. I was really disappointed in it. I think Vampyres is pretty decent euro-trash horror fare with a great finish. I'm happy with my purchase of the blu.
hey i just saw ur post over on the MM boards...you goto the show regularly or the chiller show?
Old 10-06-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Count me in as one of the people who liked Vampyres more than Uncle Sam.

Just finished watching Blood Of The Virgins. Goofy Argentinian Vampire film.
Old 10-06-11, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just watched American Horror Story think i share alot of the opinions as posted in the dedicated thread in tv. I enjoyed it and it does help i find the maid lady sexy, but it is all over the place between that and the characters in the show it felt like i was watching a horror version of american beauty.

also watched Hellraiser today..everytime i re watch it i forget how awesome the movie is. the fx, imagery, and well rat peeling just bring me to my happy horror place!
Old 10-06-11, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by terrycloth
also watched Hellraiser today..everytime i re watch it i forget how awesome the movie is. the fx, imagery, and well rat peeling just bring me to my happy horror place!
Agreed! It makes me wish that Clive Barker still churned out films like that. I'm already thinking about watching Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth, mostly because I haven't watched it for any challenge I've participated in yet.
Old 10-06-11, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Watched Once Bitten, Jim Carrey's first film, years before he was Fireman Bill on In Living Color. You can tell that he has great physical gifts as a comedian, in the scene where he dances with Lauren Hutton, the vampire who wants to devour him, and Karen Kopins, his girlfriend. Sadly, the film has some unfortunate homophobic humor, and is a terrible artifact from the 80s.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-06-11 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-06-11, 08:18 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just watched my Deep Red blu-ray for the first time, such a great fucking movie. Next up is Suspiria and Inferno - I really wish Blue Underground would get the rights back for Suspiria as its depressing not having it on blu-ray.
Old 10-06-11, 08:20 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spent my day off from 730 am til tonight just watching non-stop movies all day and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Managed to knock out 6 that I had never seen before and then ended the marathon with a couple I haven't seen in a long time in 'The Silence of the Lambs' and 'Fallen'.

Probably gonna get withdrawal symptoms since I have to work 11-11 the nex 2 days. I'll try to knock out one before and after work, but fear tiredness might get the better of me.
Old 10-06-11, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by terrycloth
hey i just saw ur post over on the MM boards...you goto the show regularly or the chiller show?
I've only been to the Cherry Hill show once, but will go more if I can. I love that they have shows in MD now right around the corner from me. Never been to Chiller but have always wanted to go.

Originally Posted by bse
Just watched my Deep Red blu-ray for the first time, such a great fucking movie. Next up is Suspiria and Inferno - I really wish Blue Underground would get the rights back for Suspiria as its depressing not having it on blu-ray.
Agreed!
Old 10-06-11, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay I've wasted enough time tonight, about to have a Val Lewton double feature with Cat People and Curse Of The Cat People
Old 10-06-11, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Th Most Dangerous Game is a striking and wonderful film, had a great first time viewing.
It has been a challenge staple for me. It's a fantastic movie *and* has a really short run time. Can't ask for much more during this challenge.

Originally Posted by Gobear
Watched Once Bitten, Jim Carrey's first film, years before he was Fireman Bill on In Living Color. You can tell that he has great physical gifts as a comedian, in the scene where he dances with Lauren Hutton, the vampire who wants to devour him, and Karen Kopins, his girlfriend. Sadly, the film has some unfortunate homophobic humor, and is a terrible artifact from the 80s.
Don't forget about Cleavon Little, too!

I noticed this one while browsing through the DVR guide and remembered it from way back. They used to show this movie all the time on HBO. All the fuckin' time! I considered recording it for old time's sake but thought better of it. Like you say, it's a total artifact of the '80s. Ugh. Now you have me experiencing flashbacks of that ridiculous dance scene. Thanks a lot!
Old 10-06-11, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dcrw6
Only got in three movies last night which was a step down from the pace I had been keeping. Hoping today will get back up to speed.
Thursdays are my roughest days because it's the one night of the week that I work late. Ordinarily, I work 12:30pm-9pm. Doing that, I could have squeezed in two just before work. Instead, I worked 11am-7:30pm, allowing me to just manage two for the entire day. I turned off the movie I was working on about 25 minutes ago because I could feel myself dozing off. I'll give it another go after work tomorrow I guess.
Old 10-06-11, 09:49 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

If anyone is debating what Jean Rollin film to watch to complete the checklist, I really enjoyed The Grapes Of Death.
It's a subset choice as well.

Not streaming on Netflix, but google video streams it free.

I thought I was done with French films after last month's Criterion Challenge, but you all keep making me watch more of them!
Old 10-06-11, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
It's a subset choice as well.

Not streaming on Netflix, but google video streams it free.

I thought I was done with French films after last month's Criterion Challenge, but you all keep making me watch more of them!
Was it ever decided if subset choice's had to be watched on their day to be checked off? I think theme nights should have to be on that date but subset choices should be able to be anytime during the month.
Old 10-06-11, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, today's not turning out too well either. Watched one this morning and just finished The Funhouse for today's theme about an hour ago, and I still haven't gotten around to starting another one. Spent most of the day worrying about things and then slept some of the stress off, so I feel better but haven't really accomplished anything. Going to run to the store to get dinner for the family and hopefully I'll be up late tonight getting caught up.
Old 10-06-11, 10:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Was it ever decided if subset choice's had to be watched on their day to be checked off? I think theme nights should have to be on that date but subset choices should be able to be anytime during the month.
Exactly. Chad confirmed that a few pages back.

I was going to watch each film on it's exact day, to satisfy both the subset list and theme night, but have decided to get ahead on subset films just in case I'm busy on certain days/streaming expires/can't find my disc/etc.
Old 10-06-11, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I think theme nights should have to be on that date but subset choices should be able to be anytime during the month.
I second counting subset items whenever they are watched regardless of day. I have been trying to cram in subset films earlier to clear out room for a franchise marathon or so later in the month. I feel like some flexibility in subset films allows for greater enjoyment of the month because it otherwise feels too rigid.

Edit: I must have also overlooked Chad's confirmation too.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-06-11 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-06-11, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Exactly. Chad confirmed that a few pages back.

I was going to watch each film on it's exact day, to satisfy both the subset list and theme night, but have decided to get ahead on subset films just in case I'm busy on certain days/streaming expires/can't find my disc/etc.
Cool. I must've missed the confirmation. Thanks!
Old 10-06-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My 2nd year watching My Soul To Take. This time on Blu-Ray!

Messy film, Wes Craven seems to want to draw a lot from NOES, but does it with the sight of a crazy man. Emily Meade was worth sitting through the film though
Old 10-06-11, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Somehow I managed to confuse today's theme of 'Video Nasties' with 'Splatter/Gore' and watched August Underground. I sincerely regret that I'll never get those 71 minutes back. Honestly, those are two of the most obnoxious serial killers to ever grace the screen. And overall it was just plain boring.

On the plus side of short running times, I caught a couple of zany horror comedies from the 40's - The Climax and Zombies on Broadway (shot on the "I Walked With a Zombie" set). It amazes me how a couple of no-budget third and fourth tier films from poverty row studios can be so much fun.

Next up is Lips of Blood.
Old 10-06-11, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chad
Somehow I managed to confuse today's theme of 'Video Nasties' with 'Splatter/Gore' and watched August Underground. I sincerely regret that I'll never get those 71 minutes back. Honestly, those are two of the most obnoxious serial killers to ever grace the screen. And overall it was just plain boring.
Unfortunately, that's how all of their (Toe Tag Pictures) films go.

They are absolutely amazing when it comes to FX (Jerami Cruise is great!) but terrible in every other single aspect of film making.

I'm a fan of the company's work, but mostly because I enjoy really great FX.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.