Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-11, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

My friends want to go see a midnight showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show on September 30th/October 1st. Should be a fun way to kick off the challenge.
Old 09-07-11, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I believe I was six or seven when I first watched FRANKENSTEIN (1931) when it played on TV and I loved it then. Then the other Universal horrors followed and I loved every one of them as a kid.
Same here. I saw many of the Uni horror titles on Saturday afternoon movie blocks and a late Friday/Saturday "creature feature" type show. I remember being more scared that Superman would be hurt by Kryptonite than by the Dracula/Frankenstein/Wolfman films. It was those 3 blocks of movies where I developed my love for the classic horror and "B" sci-fi films.

He turns 8 in about a week. He watched Dracula and Frankenstein with me during/around last year's Horror Challenge and really liked them. I'm hoping to watch quite a few more with him this year. The trick will be keeping his little sister (almost 5) occupied elsewhere while we watch.
Old 09-07-11, 08:49 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
My friends want to go see a midnight showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show on September 30th/October 1st. Should be a fun way to kick off the challenge.
Man, I haven't seen that movie at a midnight showing in over 20 years. I wonder if it's playing anywhere around me? That would be a blast to go see again in the theater!
Old 09-07-11, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

So far, I'm discovering my biggest problem to be waiting until October to actually watch stuff. Over the past week or so, I've seen way too many horror flicks. Just couldn't wait.
Old 09-07-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I went into Entertainment Outlet tonight looking for some classic horror at bargain prices and went through the "2 for $10" rack looking for multiple film sets and I wound up getting six DVDs--with a total of 18 films!--at a total cost of $30 (+tax). All non-used legit studio releases (no p.d.). And 16 of the films are eligible for this challenge (the other two were Film Noir).

The 16 are:
Hammer double feature: THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN and TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA
Larry Cohen's IT'S ALIVE trilogy
Karloff and Lugosi quartet: THE WALKING DEAD, FRANKENSTEIN 1970, YOU'LL FIND OUT, ZOMBIES ON BROADWAY
DIE, MONSTER, DIE! - single film DVD, with Karloff, based on H.P. Lovecraft.
And best of all...
Inner Sanctum Mysteries Complete Collection/six films from Universal with Lon Chaney Jr.:
CALLING DR. DEATH, WEIRD WOMAN, DEAD MAN'S EYES, THE FROZEN GHOST, STRANGE CONFESSION, PILLOW OF DEATH

The Inner Sanctum series is one I've always been interested in. I believe I saw two of them on broadcast TV when I was young, but never the other four and I've always been intrigued by them. And they're all pretty short, too--just over an hour each, so I can get a lot more titles in my count this way, while seeing stuff I really want to see.

They had other box sets there at more expensive prices, including a four-film Hammer set for $19.99 and a five-film Karloff set for a little more. But I got spoiled by the low prices on the ones I bought.

I dunno, but does this beat Netflix or what?
Old 09-07-11, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I already ordered a bunch of new, and some of them cheap, horror dvds to watch this year.

Part of this challenge is to watch as many as you can, but another part of it is to discover new horror titles as well. It gets boring if you watch the same ones year after year. I find myself owning probably about 250 horror dvds/blu rays, but still ordering more!

All will be first time views, just ordered: The Hitcher (original), Frankenstein/Creature/Wolf Man Legacy Collections, Pumpkinhead 2, It's Alive 1-3, Blood trilogy, and Torso.
Old 09-07-11, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
So far, I'm discovering my biggest problem to be waiting until October to actually watch stuff. Over the past week or so, I've seen way too many horror flicks. Just couldn't wait.
I've been struggling too. I haven't watched too many since I have a bunch of other stuff I've been wanting to watch but it has been difficult holding off.

I went into Entertainment Outlet tonight looking for some classic horror at bargain prices and went through the "2 for $10" rack looking for multiple film sets and I wound up getting six DVDs--with a total of 18 films!--at a total cost of $30 (+tax). All non-used legit studio releases (no p.d.). And 16 of the films are eligible for this challenge (the other two were Film Noir).

The 16 are:
Hammer double feature: THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN and TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA
Larry Cohen's IT'S ALIVE trilogy
Karloff and Lugosi quartet: THE WALKING DEAD, FRANKENSTEIN 1970, YOU'LL FIND OUT, ZOMBIES ON BROADWAY
DIE, MONSTER, DIE! - single film DVD, with Karloff, based on H.P. Lovecraft.
And best of all...
Inner Sanctum Mysteries Complete Collection/six films from Universal with Lon Chaney Jr.:
CALLING DR. DEATH, WEIRD WOMAN, DEAD MAN'S EYES, THE FROZEN GHOST, STRANGE CONFESSION, PILLOW OF DEATH

The Inner Sanctum series is one I've always been interested in. I believe I saw two of them on broadcast TV when I was young, but never the other four and I've always been intrigued by them. And they're all pretty short, too--just over an hour each, so I can get a lot more titles in my count this way, while seeing stuff I really want to see.

They had other box sets there at more expensive prices, including a four-film Hammer set for $19.99 and a five-film Karloff set for a little more. But I got spoiled by the low prices on the ones I bought.

Nice finds! I've been meaning to do the same at somewhere besides the $5 bin wat Wal Mart.
Old 09-08-11, 07:48 AM
Banned

I'm always on the lookout for movies I've never seen, as long as the price is low enough. Unfortunately, unless I want to order online there is slim pickings in-store these days. Or perhaps, I'm looking in all the wrong places (or my price point (under $5) is too low?).

I did manage to buy about 20 new-to-me titles from Walmart/Big Lots' dump bins recently, that I'm purposely saving for next month's challenge. Last year was my first year partaking in this challenge (with a balance of only 40 films watched I think?) but didn't chime in on any of the discussions - this year I hope to change that. Not only do I hope to participate in more discussions, but I hope to watch at least 50 movies this year
Old 09-08-11, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I know what you mean. While I haven't watched any horror yet, I continually find my thoughts drifting to horror, so I think I will be watching horror in September too. In fact, tonight I plan to watch The Blob for the Criterion Challenge.
Old 09-08-11, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I know what you mean. While I haven't watched any horror yet, I continually find my thoughts drifting to horror, so I think I will be watching horror in September too. In fact, tonight I plan to watch The Blob for the Criterion Challenge.
I've still got lots of stuff I can watch, but I've already crossed Red State, Bereavement, Laid to Rest II, Apollo 18 and Don't Be Afraid of the Dark off my list of potential titles. I need to be a bit more selective the rest of the month and try to learn some patience.
Old 09-08-11, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

...Larry Cohen's IT'S ALIVE trilogy...
Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
...It's Alive 1-3...
I've got It's Alive trilogy on my list too; with this much interest we've got to get It's Alive on the movie subset list.

My wife is pregnant with our second child, due November 15th, so I've been trying to pile on some evil baby themed movies this challenge.

...The Inner Sanctum series is one I've always been interested in. I believe I saw two of them on broadcast TV when I was young, but never the other four and I've always been intrigued by them. And they're all pretty short, too--just over an hour each, so I can get a lot more titles in my count this way, while seeing stuff I really want to see.
I managed to pick up Inner Sanctum Mysteries for $8 at Half Price Books; the price on that has crashed they're almost giving the set away. If you get to Inner Sanctum before me be sure to post impressions.

What's Netflix?

...All will be first time views, just ordered... Frankenstein/Creature/Wolf Man Legacy Collections...
First time viewing?!? Creature of the Black Lagoon is an amazing film and you can't go wrong with Frankenstein.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-08-11 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-08-11, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With my first child due in mid-October, I'm going to watch as much as I can, but I feel I might slip a little bit at the end of the month. My wife and I are compiling our lists.
Old 09-08-11, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Wow, everyone's getting married, having kids and even including their grandkids in this. I'm starting to feel like the odd man out here.

Part of this challenge is to watch as many as you can, but another part of it is to discover new horror titles as well. It gets boring if you watch the same ones year after year. I find myself owning probably about 250 horror dvds/blu rays, but still ordering more!

All will be first time views, just ordered: The Hitcher (original), Frankenstein/Creature/Wolf Man Legacy Collections, Pumpkinhead 2, It's Alive 1-3, Blood trilogy, and Torso.
Yeah, I've been placing a few orders so I can put an emphasis on the new-to-me titles. I usually use September to re-visit the classics I've seen umpteen times and save the new stuff for the challenge.

And this year I plan going a little Eurocentric and using this list as a guide:

BFI's 100 European Horror Films

I posted it last year on either the checklist or the theme nights list but never got around to it.
Old 09-08-11, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I, too, am having trouble waiting. I've not yet caved and watched any horror in my "unopened" pile but have been actively adding to it. I picked up the Mill Creek "50 Horror Classics" set from WM a couple of weeks back for $10+tax. About half of the titles I've never seen/don't already own so that's a few "new" ones. I've also used the challenge as a good excuse to finally purchased another dozen or so I've been wanting but have never seen. There are another dozen or so "calling my name" and if a few TVonDVD pre-orders don't break the bank I'll probably be ordering a few more before it's all over.

I went into Entertainment Outlet tonight looking for some classic horror at bargain prices...

...The Inner Sanctum series is one I've always been interested in. I believe I saw two of them on broadcast TV when I was young, but never the other four and I've always been intrigued by them. And they're all pretty short, too--just over an hour each, so I can get a lot more titles in my count this way, while seeing stuff I really want to see.
Those are some nice finds, especially at that price! I picked up that Inner Sanctum set a couple of years ago for cheap (not as cheap as you, though) and haven't watched them since. I may have to break them out this year to get a fresher perspective on them. I remember being a bit underwhelmed when I watched them shortly after the purchase. Nowhere as good as the classic Universal horror titles, but I *did* have very high expectations for them based on reviews so that quite probably colored my experience for those first viewings. I plan to try them again this year for a second impression.

If the "The Boris Karloff Collection (Tower of London / The Black Castle / The Climax / The Strange Door / Night Key)" is the set you're talking about I picked that up a while back for ~$15 or so. It's a pretty good set with interesting films, but 2-3 of the titles not truly horror. Currently ~$16 from a couple of amazon MP vendors. I'd recommend it, especially if you're a Karloff fan. A nice surprise is that the disks are single-sided and it's a "franchise collection" title.

And for that Hammer set, if it's "Icons of Horror Collection: Hammer Films (The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb / Scream of Fear / The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll / The Gorgon)" amazon currently has it for $14.49. I picked that one up for The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb and especially The Gorgon. I'd seen The Gorgon on a Saturday night "creature feature" program as a youth and was excited to finally get a copy. I liked all of the films in that set, but I have a soft-spot for those Hammer horror titles much like the one for the classic Universal horror titles. Also recommended.

IMHO *any* owned title beats Netflix hands down! You never know when a title on a streaming service will get pulled. If I have a physical copy I'm fairly assured that I'll still be able to watch it in the future.
Old 09-08-11, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Michael Gough:

Horror of Dracula (1958)
Horrors of the Black Museum (1959)
Konga (1961)
What a Carve Up! (aka "No Place Like Homicide!") (1961)
The Phantom of the Opera (1962)
Black Zoo (1963)
Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965)
The Skull (1965)
They came from Beyond Space (1967)
Berserk (1967)
Curse of the Crimson Altar (1968)
Trog (1970)
The Corpse (1971)
Horror Hospital (1971)
The Legend of Hell House (1973)
Satan's Slave (1976)
Venom (1981)
The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988)
Uncovered (1995)
Sleepy Hollow (1999)
Corpse Bride (2005)

Old 09-08-11, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Simon Boswell:

Phenomena (1985)
Demons 2 (1986)
Brivido Giallo (1986) (TV series)
Delirium (1987)
StageFright: Aquarius (1987)
Black Sunday (1989)
The Church (1989)
Santa Sangre (1989)
Hardware (1990)
Eyewitness (1990) (TV movie)
School of Fear (1989) (TV movie)
The Turn of the Screw (1992)
The Prince of Terror (TV movie)
Lord of Illusions (1995)
Close Your Eyes (2002)
Octane (2003)
Next Door (2005)
Incubus (2006)
Manhunt (Rovdyr) (2008)
The Theater Bizarre (2011)
Back2Hell (2011)

Old 09-08-11, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright, after a minor delay here's the final(?) draft of the checklist:

E
X
P
A
N
D
E
D

C
H
E
C
K
L
I
S
T

COPY & PASTE INTO YOUR LIST USING A SPOILER TAG

Code:
Watch a film starring:
--- Barbara Crampton -or- Barbara Shelley -
--- Doug Bradley -or- Sid Haig -
--- Hazel Court -
--- Klaus Kinski -
--- Lance Henriksen -or- Ken Foree - 
--- Lon Chaney Jr. -or- Lon Chaney Sr. -
--- Michael Gough -
--- Ron Perlman -or- Tom Atkins - 
--- Ted Raimi -or- Reggie Bannister -
--- Vincent Price - 

Watch a film composed by:
--- James Bernard -
--- Simon Boswell -

Watch a film directed by:
--- David Cronenberg -
--- Jean Rollin - 
--- John Carpenter -
---Sergio Martino -or- Riccardo Freda -
--- Terence Fisher -

Watch a film with make-up effects by:
--- Dick Smith - 
--- Tom Savini -

Watch a film in each of the following sub-genres / types:
--- Anthology Film -
--- Appears on Video Nasties List -
--- Based on a Novel -
--- Blue Underground -
--- Called "Attack of ..." -
--- Called "Day of ..." -
--- Called "Night of ..." -
--- Called "Return of ..." -
--- Called "Revenge of ..." -
--- Cannibalism - 
--- Documentary -
--- Extraterrestrial -
--- Film and at Least Two of its Sequels -
--- Film and its Remake -
--- Frankenstein -
--- Ghost / Haunting -
--- Giallo -
--- Horror Host (Count Gore De Vol, Elvira, Joe Bob Briggs, etc.)
--- J-Horror -
--- Killer / Evil Animal -
--- Killer / Evil Child -
--- Killer / Evil Doll -
--- Made-for-TV Movie -
--- Monster / Creature Feature / Godzilla -
--- MST3K / RiffTrax / Cinematic Titanic -
--- Mummy -
--- Musical -
--- Rape / Revenge -
--- Slasher / Psycho / Homicidal Maniac -
--- Silent Film -
--- Spoof / Comedy -
--- Takes Place in Space -
--- Takes Place on a Holiday -
--- Takes Place on or Under the Sea -
--- Vampire -
--- Werewolf -
--- Witchcraft / Satanic / Religious -
--- With Commentary -
--- With the Words "Living Dead" in the Title -
--- Won an Academy Award (any category) - 
--- Zombie -

Watch films in at least three formats (Blu-ray, DVD, streaming, etc.):
--- First format, (insert format), (insert title).
--- Second format, (insert format), (insert title).
--- Third format, (insert format), (insert title).

Watch films in at least three languages other than English:
--- First language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Second language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Third language, (insert language), (insert title).

Watch one film from every decade of film history:
--- 1890 OPTIONAL -
--- 1900 OPTIONAL -
--- 1910 OPTIONAL -
--- 1920 -
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
--- 2010 -

Watch a film for each rating:
--- G - 
--- PG -
--- PG-13 -
--- R -
--- X / NC-17 -
--- Unrated - 

Venture Into the Literary World:
--- Read a Horror Novel or Novella OPTIONAL -
Spoiler:
One film could fill multiple items.
Example: Dracula would fill one for decade, rating, actor, vampire, based on novel, and maybe others as well.
Use a * to mark first time viewings.
Change "---" to "-X-" or some similar mark when you have completed that line item.

Yes, it's a little longer than usual. And I do plan on adding hyperlinks to a few more items. Personally I'm happy with it, but it's not solely up to me. Feedback welcome.

Without all the fancy formatting:
Spoiler:
Watch a film starring:
--- Hazel Court -
--- Klaus Kinski -
--- Michael Gough -
--- Vincent Price -

--- James Bernard -
--- Simon Boswell -

--- David Cronenberg -
--- Jean Rollin -
--- John Carpenter -
--- Sergio Martino -or- Riccardo Freda -
--- Terence Fisher -

--- Dick Smith -
--- Tom Savini -

--- Anthology Film -
--- Based on a Novel -
--- Blue Underground -
--- Cannibalism -
--- Documentary -
--- Extraterrestrial -
--- Frankenstein -
--- Ghost / Haunting -
--- Giallo -
--- J-Horror -
--- Killer / Evil Doll -
--- Made-for-TV Movie -
--- Mummy -
--- Musical -
--- Rape / Revenge -
--- Silent Film -
--- Spoof / Comedy -
--- Vampire -
--- Werewolf -
--- With Commentary -
--- Zombie -

Watch films in at least three languages other than English:
--- Third language, (insert language), (insert title).

--- 1890 OPTIONAL -
--- 1900 OPTIONAL -
--- 1910 OPTIONAL -
--- 1920 -
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
--- 2010 -

--- G -
--- PG -
--- PG-13 -
--- R -
--- X / NC-17 -
--- Unrated -

Every revision made:
Spoiler:
- added 'Made-for-TV movie'
- combined 'X' and 'NC-17' into one entry
- dropped the pre-MPAA and post-MPAA from 'Unrated'
- removed 'watch an animated film'
- added an optional tag to 1890, 1900 and 1910
- Elvira is no longer its own entry and has been changed to 'Horror hosts' to include them all
- added 'Blue Underground' (plan is to change studio/distributor every year)
- added 'Cannibalism'
- removed 'Criterion' (nothing is ever permanent)
- added 'Extraterrestrial'
- changed 'Revenge' to 'Rape/Revenge'
- added the category 'Watch a film composed by'
- added composer Simon Boswell
- added the category 'Watch a film directed by'
- added director Terence Fisher
- added the category 'Watch a film with makeup effects by'
- added make-up artist Dick Smith
- added make-up artist Tom Savini
- added read a horror novel or novella (optional)
- added composer James Bernard
- updated 'Watch a film starring' with all new names
- added director Jean Rollin
- added director John Carpenter
- added director David Cronenberg
- added directors Sergio Martino and Riccardo Freda
- changed 'Watch films in at least two languages other than English' to three

Coming soon: The theme nights list, the choosing of the subset list, and info on current and newly acquired sponsors.

Last edited by Chad; 09-09-11 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-08-11, 07:01 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm thrilled to get the list this early so I can start planning but for those who try to complete the checklist without duplicates this will definitely be a challenge. I've never watched 87 movies before so this will be interesting.

Last edited by orlmac; 09-08-11 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-08-11, 07:03 PM
Banned

Is the checklist required to participate in this challenge? Or could one just list a bunch of movies as (s)he watches them, and rate 'em?

Sorry if this is a redundant question, I'm sorta new to this game.
Old 09-08-11, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orlmac
I'm thrilled to get the list this early so I can start planning but for those who try to complete the checklist without duplicates this will definetely be a challenge. I've never watched 87 movies before so this will be interesting.
I got it out of way first so I wouldn't repeat last year and post it last-minute again. And yes, that's definitely gonna present a challenge for those who don't repeat anything.

Originally Posted by supermike07
Is the checklist required to participate in this challenge? Or could one just list a bunch of movies as (s)he watches them, and rate 'em?

Sorry if this is a redundant question, I'm sorta new to this game.
No, it's optional. Same goes for the upcoming 31 Film Subset list, Theme Nights and using wild cards. Just a few ways to make things a little more interesting.

Last edited by Chad; 09-08-11 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-08-11, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Well, Chad beat me to it but I'll leave my answer anyway "just because".

^^Doing the checklist is *not* required. It's just there to add a bit of fun to the whole affair by making you dig for titles that fit. It also tends to make you seek out films you might not have otherwise watched. There are also the Theme Nights (watch a film based on the theme of the day) and 31 Films Subset (watch a specific film each day - one for each day of the month), neither of which are required but in place to make it more fun. You don't even have to rate your viewed films unless you wish to. The main goal is to simply watch horror films and have fun while doing so. If you have a list in the list thread the only requirement of which I'm aware is that you should *number* your list, but you don't have to have a list unless you wish. You can simply join in the discussion(s) here. Essentially, it's pretty easy going - just have fun watching horror films (I said that already, didn't I...).
Old 09-08-11, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The checklist looks great. I really wish I had the discipline to complete it. Every year I tell myself I'll take a crack at it but I always just end up watching what I feel like instead or some random instant queue title that doesn't even end up being good. Netflix has poisoned me.
Old 09-08-11, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chad
Alright, after a minor delay here's the final(?) draft of the checklist:

Without all the fancy formatting:
Spoiler:
Watch a film starring:
--- Hazel Court -
--- Klaus Kinski -
--- Michael Gough -
--- Vincent Price -

--- James Bernard -
--- Simon Boswell -

--- David Cronenberg -
--- Jean Rollin -
--- John Carpenter -
--- Sergio Martino -or- Riccardo Freda -
--- Terence Fisher -

--- Dick Smith -
--- Tom Savini -

--- Anthology Film -
--- Based on a Novel -
--- Blue Underground -
--- Cannibalism -
--- Documentary -
--- Extraterrestrial -
--- Frankenstein -
--- Ghost / Haunting -
--- Giallo -
--- J-Horror -
--- Killer / Evil Doll -
--- Made-for-TV Movie -
--- Mummy -
--- Musical -
--- Rape / Revenge -
--- Silent Film -
--- Spoof / Comedy -
--- Vampire -
--- Werewolf -
--- With Commentary -
--- Zombie -

Watch films in at least two languages other than English:

--- 1890 OPTIONAL -
--- 1900 OPTIONAL -
--- 1910 OPTIONAL -
--- 1920 -
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
--- 2010 -

--- G -
--- PG -
--- PG-13 -
--- R -
--- X / NC-17 -
--- Unrated -

Every revision made:
Spoiler:
- added 'Made-for-TV movie'
- combined 'X' and 'NC-17' into one entry
- dropped the pre-MPAA and post-MPAA from 'Unrated'
- removed 'watch an animated film'
- added an optional tag to 1890, 1900 and 1910
- Elvira is no longer its own entry and has been changed to 'Horror hosts' to include them all
- added 'Blue Underground' (plan is to change studio/distributor every year)
- added 'Cannibalism'
- removed 'Criterion' (nothing is ever permanent)
- added 'Extraterrestrial'
- changed 'Revenge' to 'Rape/Revenge'
- added the category 'Watch a film composed by'
- added composer Simon Boswell
- added the category 'Watch a film directed by'
- added director Terence Fisher
- added the category 'Watch a film with makeup effects by'
- added make-up artist Dick Smith
- added make-up artist Tom Savini
- added read a horror novel or novella (optional)
- added composer James Bernard
- updated 'Watch a film starring' with all new names
- added director Jean Rollin
- added director John Carpenter
- added director David Cronenberg
- added directors Sergio Martino and Riccardo Freda

Coming soon: The theme nights list, the choosing of the subset list, and info on current and newly acquired sponsors.
That's a heck of a checklist there and some interesting changes!

The addition of composers is a pretty good wrinkle. I'd never heard of Simon Boswell before you posted that list above and truly don't think I've ever heard of any of those films (mainly because I lean more towards pre 1975 horror films). Looks like I'll be doing some digging for that one...

I like that you've combined NC17 and X.

The new list of "watch a film starring" is good too. You didn't have that in your "changes" list so I had to check to see who was changed. That section is 100% new isn't it?
Old 09-08-11, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
That's a heck of a checklist there and some interesting changes!

The addition of composers is a pretty good wrinkle. I'd never heard of Simon Boswell before you posted that list above and truly don't think I've ever heard of any of those films (mainly because I lean more towards pre 1975 horror films). Looks like I'll be doing some digging for that one...

I like that you've combined NC17 and X.

The new list of "watch a film starring" is good too. You didn't have that in your "changes" list so I had to check to see who was changed. That section is 100% new isn't it?
Sorry, got a little lazy there. But yeah, it's an all new list compared to what we had last year. Although I did bring back a couple entries (Vincent Price, Lon Chaney Jr.) from the original checklist.

And I wasn't familiar with Simon Boswell either until reading a recent Fangoria article on him just a few days ago. I thought pairing him up with James Bernard would provide a good mixture of the old and the new.
Old 09-08-11, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Interesting checklist, why did you shuffle the decades, ratings and format to the middle end?

Also if Horror Novel, why not horror video game?

All this talk about the It's Alive trilogy seems very timely as mondo is releasing this soon:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.