Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-11, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Well, after particpating in over 10 different challenges here, I've actually decided to try and fill out a checklist for once (Gasp!)

It looks like I've got access to everything except:
Watch films in at least three formats (Blu-ray, DVD, streaming, etc.):
No Blu-ray player Can watching a cable (Or PPV) movie in 1080p on my HDTV qualify?
Old 09-09-11, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane

No Blu-ray player Can watching a cable (Or PPV) movie in 1080p on my HDTV qualify?
Cable TV itself counts as a format, if I understand correctly; so three formats could include DVD, online streaming, and cable (which is how I did it last year). Also consider theatrical release as an accessible format, perhaps also VHS. Pay-per-view or on-demand might count as a separate format than cable TV too depending on interpretation.
Old 09-09-11, 02:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan on getting into Hammer horror this year, so what dvd boxsets/collections would be a good place to start for a good price?

I plan on getting for sure the Hammer Films: Icons of Horror Collection with Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll, Curse of the Mummys Tomb, The Gorgon, and Scream of Fear based on reviews of The Gorgon from last years thread.

So what is the better option between the next two?
Boxset a)TCM Hammer Horror Collection with Horror of Dracula/Dracula has Risen from the Grave/Curse of Frankenstein/Frankenstein Must be Destroyed

-or-

Boxset b)Dracula: 4 Film Favorites with Horror of Dracula/Dracula has Risen from the Grave/Taste the Blood of Dracula/Dracula A.D. 1972

Obviously I don't wanna double up on the two Dracula films, so which is the better boxset of the two?
Old 09-09-11, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Ugh, going to be so busy in October.

It would be nice if I could watch the same as I did last year but I don't think it's going to happen.
Old 09-09-11, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
I plan on getting into Hammer horror this year, so what dvd boxsets/collections would be a good place to start for a good price?

I plan on getting for sure the Hammer Films: Icons of Horror Collection with Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll, Curse of the Mummys Tomb, The Gorgon, and Scream of Fear based on reviews of The Gorgon from last years thread.

Boxset a)TCM Hammer Horror Collection with Horror of Dracula/Dracula has Risen from the Grave/Curse of Frankenstein/Frankenstein Must be Destroyed

-or-

Boxset b)Dracula: 4 Film Favorites with Horror of Dracula/Dracula has Risen from the Grave/Taste the Blood of Dracula/Dracula A.D. 1972

Obviously I don't wanna double up on the two Dracula films, so which is the better boxset of the two?
I'd go with the one with FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED. I enjoyed that one when I saw it on broadcast TV decades ago and will be seeing it again, this time on DVD, for this challenge.
Old 09-09-11, 08:18 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I love all of the links supplied on the checklist, it will really help to find movies to fill it out, but I have a question. For the category starring someone does the movie watched have to feature the actor/actress in a starring role or can it be a movie with the actor/actress having a less important role in it?
Old 09-09-11, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

-or-

The Hammer Horror Series (Brides of Dracula / Curse of the Werewolf / Phantom of the Opera (1962) / Paranoiac / Kiss of the Vampire / Nightmare / Night Creatures / Evil of Frankenstein) is still in print. It's more expensive that any of the boxes you've mentioned, but you get twice as many movies and a broader selection of Hammer horror. No, Christopher Lee Dracula movies though.
Old 09-09-11, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Last year bought the Frankenstein Legacy set. This year I want to add one more Universal Frankenstein movie to my list, but I am torn between Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man or House of Dracula. I only want to get one of the this year. Any recommendations on which is the better one to get?
Old 09-09-11, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

-or-

Horror of Dracula and The Curse of Frankenstein are a great place to start, so get the one with the two Frankenstein films. Plus, you have to be a pretty big fan of the Dracula series (or Hammer films in general) to want to own Taste the Blood of Dracula or Dracula A.D. 1972, so hold off on those.
Old 09-09-11, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Horror of Dracula and The Curse of Frankenstein are a great place to start, so get the one with the two Frankenstein films. Plus, you have to be a pretty big fan of the Dracula series (or Hammer films in general) to want to own Taste the Blood of Dracula or Dracula A.D. 1972, so hold off on those.
I love Drac '72! But your recommendation is a good one, the set with the Franky films is a great place to start. The Icons of Horror set is good, but the movies aren't top notch Hammer fare but they aren't crap either.
Old 09-09-11, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Last year bought the Frankenstein Legacy set. This year I want to add one more Universal Frankenstein movie to my list, but I am torn between Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man or House of Dracula. I only want to get one of the this year. Any recommendations on which is the better one to get?
Aren't those movies available in the other Universal Legacy sets? If so I suggest just grabbing those sets because they're all loaded with awesome stuff.
Old 09-09-11, 09:42 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Chad,

Can you change the checklist language entry so that it's not English-centric? Make it "watch a film in three different languages"?
Well, after particpating in over 10 different challenges here, I've actually decided to try and fill out a checklist for once (Gasp!)
One of us! One of us!

As mentioned, TV and VHS are different "formats". Other options include laser and the various ripped formats to portable devices or computers.
Old 09-09-11, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the replys and suggestions! Looks like I'll place an order for the TCM set tonight.

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
The Hammer Horror Series (Brides of Dracula / Curse of the Werewolf / Phantom of the Opera (1962) / Paranoiac / Kiss of the Vampire / Nightmare / Night Creatures / Evil of Frankenstein) is still in print. It's more expensive that any of the boxes you've mentioned, but you get twice as many movies and a broader selection of Hammer horror. No, Christopher Lee Dracula movies though.
I saw this set as well, but based on the reviews of all the freezing/pixelation problems, I think I'll skip it. After all, this set has 8 movies on 2 double-sided discs, whereas the other sets only have 4 (1 movie on each side). Don't know if I wanna risk it.
Old 09-09-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Ugh, going to be so busy in October.

It would be nice if I could watch the same as I did last year but I don't think it's going to happen.
I know that feeling. My work schedule is going to get later starting next week, which I know will affect how much I'm able to watch after work. I'm not happy about that at all, which bring me to the other reason why I will be so busy. I'm going to start working on a career change, most likely going to get an alternative teaching certification, so I'm really just hoping I'm able to hit 100 like I have in the past.
Old 09-09-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Interesting checklist, why did you shuffle the decades, ratings and format to the middle end?
For whatever reason I planned on putting both the categories and entries in alphabetical order. That only ended up sticking with the latter and I just left the other in the incomplete and shuffled state you see.

As to why, who knows?

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Also if Horror Novel, why not horror video game?
Video game addition.

Originally Posted by orlmac
I love all of the links supplied on the checklist, it will really help to find movies to fill it out, but I have a question. For the category starring someone does the movie watched have to feature the actor/actress in a starring role or can it be a movie with the actor/actress having a less important role in it?
Not at all. Just a simple cameo will suffice.

A good example being
Spoiler:
Michael Gough in "The Legend of Hell House". The IMDB lists him as being uncredited, but it's a very important role in the film.

If we made it where they had to have a starring role the filmographies would shrink quite a bit being quite a few of them are character actors.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Chad,

Can you change the checklist language entry so that it's not English-centric? Make it "watch a film in three different languages"?
Done.

And speaking of that, I'm instantly regretting not including at least one non-English speaking actor.
Old 09-09-11, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MrStayPuft, if you have a region-free player, the 21-disc Hammer box from the UK is the way to go. It's been as low as £26.97 in the past, but is £32.47 ($51.52) before VAT right now on Amazon, which is still a great deal for 21 films. The packaging is super cool and several of the films have commentaries and other extras.
Old 09-09-11, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I plan on getting into Hammer horror this year, so what dvd boxsets/collections would be a good place to start for a good price?...

-or-

Thanks for the replys and suggestions! Looks like I'll place an order for the TCM set tonight.
Of those 2 I'd go with the TCM set as you plan to do... but... if you've not yet placed your order, rather than either of those I'd suggest you pick up:

Horror Classics Collection (The Curse of Frankenstein / Dracula Has Risen from the Grave / Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed / Horror of Dracula / The Mummy / Taste the Blood of Dracula)

It's currently just under $16 from several Amazon MP vendors with prime shipping. For the extra $10 you also get Hammer's The Mummy *and* Taste the Blood of Dracula. That's less than you'd pay for the TCM set and picking up the single DVD releases of both of those individually. It's also 6 films on 6 disks rather than 4 films on 2 flippies.

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
I saw this set as well, but based on the reviews of all the freezing/pixelation problems, I think I'll skip it. After all, this set has 8 movies on 2 double-sided discs, whereas the other sets only have 4 (1 movie on each side). Don't know if I wanna risk it.
Even with the possiblilty of issues, like cyoteblue, I'd recommend this set anyway. Just be sure to order from someone with a good return policy. *None* of those films are available elsewhere and several are quite good.
Old 09-09-11, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Originally Posted by SethDLH
Aren't those movies available in the other Universal Legacy sets? If so I suggest just grabbing those sets because they're all loaded with awesome stuff.
Yes, they are.

Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man is on the Wolfman Legacy Collection which also includes The Wolf Man, Werewolf of London, and She-Wolf of London or in a 2-pack with House of Frankenstein which shadokitty already has in that Frankenstein Legacy collection.

As far as I know, House of Dracula is only in the Dracula Legacy Collection along with Dracula, Dracula (1931 Spanish Version), Dracula's Daughter, and Son of Dracula.

Since you're pretty much going to get one of the Legacy Collections I'd flip a coin. Personally, Dracula barely beats out The Wolfman but the version on the Dracula Legacy Collection has a minor audio issue that keeps me from wholeheartedly recommending it over The Wolfman Legacy Collection. If you already own the single releases of Dracula and/or The Wolfman I'd get whichever Legacy Collection has more films you would like to see first.

Just make sure that you purchase from a dealer with a good replacement policy as all the Legacy Collections are on those frequently troublesome DVD-18s Uni used.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 09-09-11 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-09-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Since you're pretty much going to get one of the Legacy Collections I'd flip a coin. Personally, Dracula barely beats out The Wolfman but the version on the Dracula Legacy Collection has a couple of minor audio issues that keep me from wholeheartedly recommending it over The Wolfman Legacy Collection. If you already own the single releases of Dracula and/or The Wolfman I'd get whichever Legacy Collection has more films I'd like to see first.
The Dracula set does have, as you note, Dracula's Daughter, which, to my mind, is the best of the Universal sequels.
Old 09-09-11, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NoirFan
The Dracula set does have, as you note, Dracula's Daughter, which, to my mind, is the best of the Universal sequels.
I'd have to give that title to Bride of Frankenstein, although Dracula's Daughter *is* quite good. I'll catch myself watching Frankenstein wondering where certain scenes are only to remember they are actually in Bride.
Old 09-09-11, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I can now officially confirm we have all four sponsors back from last year.

As far as what the actually prizes will be, it goes like this:

- I'm roughly 95% done picking out the HamiltonBook.com selections and will post soon.
- With Troma it's just a matter of waiting on what they're gonna offer.
- Ditto with Something Weird.
- Full Moon literally just emailed me a package tracking number and won't know what's inside until it arrives.

There you go.
Old 09-09-11, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
I can now officially confirm we have all four sponsors back from last year.

As far as what the actually prizes will be, it goes like this:

- I'm roughly 95% done picking out the HamiltonBook.com selections and will post soon.
- With Troma it's just a matter of waiting on what they're gonna offer.
- Ditto with Something Weird.
- Full Moon literally just emailed me a package tracking number and won't know what's inside until it arrives.

There you go.
Awesome! Very exciting news!
Old 09-09-11, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
MrStayPuft, if you have a region-free player, the 21-disc Hammer box from the UK is the way to go. It's been as low as £26.97 in the past, but is £32.47 ($51.52) before VAT right now on Amazon, which is still a great deal for 21 films. The packaging is super cool and several of the films have commentaries and other extras.
*drool* Wow, that is one incredible boxset. Sadly, my dvd player is not region free. Neither is my blu ray player for that matter.

Of those 2 I'd go with the TCM set as you plan to do... but... if you've not yet placed your order, rather than either of those I'd suggest you pick up:

Horror Classics Collection (The Curse of Frankenstein / Dracula Has Risen from the Grave / Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed / Horror of Dracula / The Mummy / Taste the Blood of Dracula)

It's currently just under $16 from several Amazon MP vendors with prime shipping. For the extra $10 you also get Hammer's The Mummy *and* Taste the Blood of Dracula. That's less than you'd pay for the TCM set and picking up the single DVD releases of both of those individually. It's also 6 films on 6 disks rather than 4 films on 2 flippies.

Even with the possiblilty of issues, like cyoteblue, I'd recommend this set anyway. Just be sure to order from someone with a good return policy. *None* of those films are available elsewhere and several are quite good.
Thanks for the suggestion! Don't know how I missed that Classic Horror Collection with 6 films on it, so I placed an order! Glad I saw your suggestion before I ordered that TCM Collection. 6 films on 6 discs sounds much better than flippers. I think this set along with that other Hammer set with the Gorgon will hold me over for this challenge. Thanks again!
Old 09-09-11, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd have to give that title to Bride of Frankenstein, although Dracula's Daughter *is* quite good. I'll catch myself watching Frankenstein wondering where certain scenes are only to remember they are actually in Bride.
Yeah, I was debating qualifying Daughter as second-best, but much of the humor in Bride just falls flat for me.
Old 09-09-11, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Thank you, sponsors!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.