Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

2011 The Criterion Collection - Challenge #3 Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-11, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 2011 The Criterion Collection - Challenge #3 Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
When I looked up "themes" in the link provided, I went to the "Yakuza" section and was surprised that some of the Yakuza films in my collection that came from Home Vision are not listed there, e.g. the five-film "Yakuza Papers" series. Yet PALE FLOWER, also from Home Vision, is there. And in the "Samurai" theme section, none of my Home Vision Zatoichi films are listed.

Why the discrepancy? Are "Yakuza Papers" and the Zatoicihi series out of print already?
They just have films listed that are (or were) available in the DVD/BD collection. Pale Flower was released on DVD/BD, but the Yakuza Papers weren't. They still list OOP titles that were released on DVD/BD, but not one's that weren't released under the Criterion/Eclipse label.
Old 08-22-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Yeah, it's a little confusing but when Home Vision distributed Criterion, they also distributed their own HV-branded titles that sort of had the same feel, like Zatoichi. So I'm sure those wouldn't count under the rules.
Old 08-22-11, 03:52 PM

I know that I sort of mentioned this in the longer post (that will become post #1), but there are so many cool things to read about and view on Criterion's website. They recently (starting in May) started a series called "One Scene" and they just released one today on The Cranes are Flying.

For those that haven't seen The Cranes are Flying, I highly recommend it. Powerful, superb acting, and, in my opinion, a great companion piece to Ballad of a Soldier.
Old 08-22-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yeah, it's a little confusing but when Home Vision distributed Criterion, they also distributed their own HV-branded titles that sort of had the same feel, like Zatoichi. So I'm sure those wouldn't count under the rules.
So Home Vision releases aren't automatically eligible? How can I tell which ones are and which aren't?
Old 08-22-11, 04:01 PM

You can check out post #72 for more details, but if it's here, here, and/or here, then the title is eligible.

Basically, if Criterion released it or holds the rights to it, it's eligible.
Old 08-22-11, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I know I'm in the minority, but I don't mind watching things on my laptop, iPhone, or even a 13" B&W. This is especially true with films where the story is central, and snazzified HD and subwoofer action doesn't mean much.
Oh, I'm perfectly content to watch on my iPod or laptop...as a Plan B. I just can't make myself pay $8+ a month to not be able to stream to our TV because I don't have a Hulu-streaming device. (Can I go to Hulu.com from the Wii? Will that work? I might test that during the free trial period.)

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
MinLShaw, can you make the above post the #1 post?

(I "linkified" a bunch of stuff)
It's cut and pastified!

Also, I saw a comment somewhere on this page about how no one finished the checklist last year. I only missed one item: Watch an Eclipse title. There were none at my local library and I could find none to stream from Netflix. I should have requested a DVD but I wasn't really sure how into the challenge I was even going to get so I didn't put a lot of thought into organizing my approach to it.

One more little thought that crossed my mind. When Disney released The Rock and Armageddon on Blu-ray, they included the Criterion extras. So if you have either of those titles in your library, even though they're not formally presented to you as Criterion titles, you've got the Criterion content. I'm not sure if there are any other such releases.
Old 08-22-11, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Can I go to Hulu.com from the Wii? Will that work?
Nope.

Have you thought about hooking up your laptop to the TV? I'm assuming it has an ancient s-video port.
Old 08-22-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Nope.

Have you thought about hooking up your laptop to the TV? I'm assuming it has an ancient s-video port.
Actually, my laptop only has an HDMI output. Connecting is only a problem for me because we've got it set up so that all the wires are actually run in the wall; they go in at the bottom, behind the TV stand and come out behind the TV, which is mounted on the wall. It's just a pain in the ass to connect anything to it now that it's in place.
Old 08-22-11, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

You can check out post #72 for more details, but if it's here, here, and/or here, then the title is eligible.

Basically, if Criterion released it or holds the rights to it, it's eligible.
Thanks. The Zatoichis are there, but no Yakuza papers and nothing else by Kinji Fukasaku.
Old 08-22-11, 06:24 PM

I just can't make myself pay $8+ a month to not be able to stream to our TV because I don't have a Hulu-streaming device. (Can I go to Hulu.com from the Wii? Will that work? I might test that during the free trial period.)
Exactly. This is the thing holding me back right now. Granted, I have a PS3 (and iPod Touch) and Hulu+ can stream to that just fine, but I'd like a bit more coverage on devices. The issue of Wii support has come up recently on their blog...if you're interested...

It's cut and pastified!
Nice. Thanks.

Also, I saw a comment somewhere on this page about how no one finished the checklist last year. I only missed one item: Watch an Eclipse title. There were none at my local library and I could find none to stream from Netflix. I should have requested a DVD but I wasn't really sure how into the challenge I was even going to get so I didn't put a lot of thought into organizing my approach to it.
Yeah, I mentioned it; in reality, it shouldn't be that difficult to complete, but no one has done it. Hopefully, all of those people binging on the B&N 50% sale will join up and help create more discussion (my favorite part of all the challenges).

Thanks. The Zatoichis are there, but no Yakuza papers and nothing else by Kinji Fukasaku.
No problem. I know that Hulu had only the Zatoichis before Criterion became Hulu+ exclusive, but I've never seen any of the films.
Old 08-22-11, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What I read on a different thread about the Wii was that the current system doesn't support it but if some sort of Wii HD comes out, then it might happen.

There's always the option of Roku, which supports Hulu. It's less than $100 and you can stream movies from places like archive.org for free
Old 08-22-11, 07:10 PM

List Thread is up Criterion Challenge List Thread
Old 08-22-11, 08:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

(I "linkified" a bunch of stuff).

Yeah, I mentioned it; in reality, it shouldn't be that difficult to complete, but no one has done it. Hopefully, all of those people binging on the B&N 50% sale will join up and help create more discussion (my favorite part of all the challenges).
I completed the checklist in 2009, but last September 1st was when I started my DVDTalk sabbatical iirc. I plan to do the checklist again this year.
Great job!

Oh! Can we change the end time to dawn on October 1st? I think that was assumed and even discussed the past two years, but never fixed in the "rules".

Last edited by Trevor; 08-22-11 at 10:43 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-22-11, 10:11 PM

When I looked up "themes" in the link provided, I went to the "Yakuza" section and was surprised that some of the Yakuza films in my collection that came from Home Vision are not listed there, e.g. the five-film "Yakuza Papers" series. Yet PALE FLOWER, also from Home Vision, is there. And in the "Samurai" theme section, none of my Home Vision Zatoichi films are listed.

Why the discrepancy? Are "Yakuza Papers" and the Zatoicihi series out of print already?
The discrepancy is because Pale Flower, formerly on Homevision, was re-released by Criterion this year as a part of the Criterion Collection.

The others have never had such a release.
Old 08-23-11, 12:54 AM

Oh! Can we change the end time to dawn on October 1st? I think that was assumed and even discussed the past two years, but never fixed in the "rules".
I like that idea; I changed it on the first post of the List Thread. I like your current placeholder in the List Thread..."Reservified."

MinLShaw...can you change it on Post #1 of the Discussion Thread. Also, I forgot to change the number of directors to say 10 on that first post (it currently says "11"...because my directors always go to 11).
Old 08-23-11, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What I read on a different thread about the Wii was that the current system doesn't support it but if some sort of Wii HD comes out, then it might happen.

There's always the option of Roku, which supports Hulu. It's less than $100 and you can stream movies from places like archive.org for free
Not really in the budget to drop $100 on a device just so I can then add another monthly subscription. Besides, if I can justify the purchase of any electronics device, it'll be a working turntable.

Nice! I'm in.

I completed the checklist in 2009, but last September 1st was when I started my DVDTalk sabbatical iirc. I plan to do the checklist again this year.
At least this time when you put us all to shame, we can take comfort in knowing you're also field testing your fiancee.

MinLShaw...can you change it on Post #1 of the Discussion Thread. Also, I forgot to change the number of directors to say 10 on that first post (it currently says "11"...because my directors always go to 11).
Done and done!
Old 08-23-11, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Formatted my list thread post and added a few links for my own personal use, but you're all welcome to make use of them.

Criterion.com
Twitter - @Criterion
Flickchart - The Best Criterion Collection Films
Flickchart: The Blog - Criterion Commentaries
ICheckMovies.com - The Criterion Collection
Old 08-23-11, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh! I remembered what I suggested last year as a supplement that I totally forgot about until just now: listening to the soundtrack album of a movie. They're not included with the movies, but I thought there might be some appeal to exploring that part of the films for those who appreciate such things. Nothing that should be formally added to the checklist, of course, but I thought it might be fun for some participants to add to their challenge experience. The nice thing is, you can listen to the soundtracks while driving to work or class, or wherever, so it's potentially an avenue for maximizing your ability to participate when you're unable to watch content.

Specifically, I was prompted to think about this after exploring the Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou supplements. There are several clips of Seu Jorge's music performances, and I got to thinking I'd like to get the soundtrack album because the music really was an important element of the film.
Old 08-23-11, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not really in the budget to drop $100 on a device just so I can then add another monthly subscription. Besides, if I can justify the purchase of any electronics device, it'll be a working turntable.
If I knew about the turntable, I would have sent you the one I just threw out. I only had a couple records I gave away as gifts, so it was just taking up space.

I completely understand about not wanting to drop $100. I was toying with the idea of getting a Logitech Revue when it dropped to $100. The only thing I could see myself using it for, that I can't do with anything else, is being able to stream the Amazon Prime instant videos. Their selection sucks, to be honest, so I went against it.

Then someone posted in the horror challenge that The Monster Channel does a stream and according to the site, it works with Google TV. On the other hand, everything else they said that works and doesn't work has been wrong. Worst case is they're consistent with wrong info, so I can just return it locally.
Old 08-23-11, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If I knew about the turntable, I would have sent you the one I just threw out. I only had a couple records I gave away as gifts, so it was just taking up space.
Ours won't power on anymore, and it hasn't been much of an issue until recently when I reactivated my membership with the Lost Highway Records street team and now I'm eligible to get free vinyl records. It'd be nice to be able to play those. My sister-in-law says she knows of a shop nearby that sells used turntables cheap so I've been meaning to catch up with her and get her to introduce me to this place.

I completely understand about not wanting to drop $100. I was toying with the idea of getting a Logitech Revue when it dropped to $100. The only thing I could see myself using it for, that I can't do with anything else, is being able to stream the Amazon Prime instant videos. Their selection sucks, to be honest, so I went against it.
The only thing I would argue is that Amazon's streaming is still pretty much in its infancy. I'm hopeful they really take off with that, because to be honest, I'd just as soon spend my Netflix membership money on an Amazon Prime account so long as the Prime streaming library was up to snuff and I could easily and reliably stream to my TV. Now that my Netflix membership doesn't also include DVD rentals, I'd feel more satisfied with free shipping on purchases, to be honest.
Old 08-23-11, 04:31 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I spruced up the checklist with more links and slight clarifications. Mainly for my OCD, but if anyone wants to borrow it or you want to officify it CardiffGiant, feel free. Some of MinLShaw's links stolen. I'm sure we can tweak it some more, or at least I will.

Spoiler:
Watch one film from every decade covered by Criterion.
--- 1920 - (insert film title here)
--- 1930 - (insert film title here)
--- 1940 - (insert film title here)
--- 1950 - (insert film title here)
--- 1960 - (insert film title here)
--- 1970 - (insert film title here)
--- 1980 - (insert film title here)
--- 1990 - (insert film title here)
--- 2000 -(insert film title here)
--- 2010 - (optional), (insert film title here)

Watch films in at least five languages.
--- First language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Second language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Third language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Fourth language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Fifth language, (insert language), (insert title).

Watch films from five different directors in Criterion’s top 10 (Kurosawa, Bergman, Ozu, Malle, Fellini, Renoir, Powell, Godard, Truffaut, Rossellini)
--- First director, (insert director), (insert title)
--- Second director, (insert director),(insert title)
--- Third director, (insert director),(insert title)
--- Fourth director, (insert director),(insert title)
--- Fifth director, (insert director),(insert title)

Watch a film from five different “themes” on Criterion’s website

--- First theme name, (insert theme), (insert title)
--- Second theme name, (insert theme), (insert title)
--- Third theme name, (insert theme), (insert title)
--- Fourth theme name, (insert theme), (insert title)
--- Fifth theme name, (insert theme), (insert title)

Watch something from spine number range:
--- 001-050 -
--- 051-100 -
--- 101-150 -
--- 151-200 -
--- 201-250 -
--- 251-300 -
--- 301-350 -
--- 351-400 -
--- 401-450 -
--- 451-500 -
--- 500-550 –
--- 551-600 -
--- an Eclipse title -
--- Watch a title not released on DVD by Criterion (laserdisc or hulu offering, any format acceptable) -

--- Watch a film which won an Academy Award -
--- Watch a film with commentary –
--- Read an essay -
--- Watch a short -
--- Watch a Criterion disc completely. Every part of it (photo stills, essays, commentary, booklets, etc). -
--- Watch an entire Criterion Collector's Set/Eclipse Box Set -

(One item can fill multiple items. Example: Fanny & Alexander could qualify for a decade, language, spine number range, theme (Blue Christmases), director, Academy Award, commentary, essay, entire set, and possibly short.)

(Change "---" to "-X-" or some similar mark when you have completed that line item.)

Linkifications

Criterion.com
Twitter - @Criterion
Old 08-24-11, 12:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For those that haven't seen The Cranes are Flying, I highly recommend it. Powerful, superb acting, and, in my opinion, a great companion piece to Ballad of a Soldier.
I focused on Criterion's World War II films during last year's challenge because I hadn't got to them during the Historical Challenge. The Cranes Are Flying and Closely Watched Trains were the highlights of the challenge for me. Each dealt with serious issues concerning the war (though Closely Watched Trains approached it through comedy) in an unexpected way. I couldn't agree more about of Ballad of a Soldier as a companion for The Cranes Are Flying. It's the sort of movie that you would expect from the Soviet Union about World War II, but its message is still powerful.
Old 08-24-11, 12:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm finding that I'm more excited about Criterion's announcements about Eclipse releases than their main line announcements. I was thrilled that they finally released the long rumored Naruse set (couldn't wait for this challenge to watch it), and hope to watch Kaurismaki's Proletariat Trilogy, if nothing else from Eclipse, during this challenge. I had never heard of Raymond Bernard (hope to get to Les Miserables during this challenge, but it is really long. Wooden Crosses is a nice companion piece for All Quiet on the Western Front, but seems a bit cooler to me), Larisa Shepitko or Hiroshi Shimizu before their Eclipse releases were announced, but was impressed with each of them.

Unfortunately, I suspect that many libraries aren't as interested in Eclipse releases as in main line Criterion releases because the films are not as well known.
Old 08-24-11, 01:32 AM

Formatted my list thread post and added a few links for my own personal use, but you're all welcome to make use of them.

Criterion.com
Twitter - @Criterion
Feel free to put this or anything else in that first post of the Discussion Thread. I went ahead and placed these in Post #2 of the List Thread. I think they are helpful links for people to check out.

Oh! I remembered what I suggested last year as a supplement that I totally forgot about until just now: listening to the soundtrack album of a movie. They're not included with the movies, but I thought there might be some appeal to exploring that part of the films for those who appreciate such things. Nothing that should be formally added to the checklist, of course, but I thought it might be fun for some participants to add to their challenge experience. The nice thing is, you can listen to the soundtracks while driving to work or class, or wherever, so it's potentially an avenue for maximizing your ability to participate when you're unable to watch content.

Specifically, I was prompted to think about this after exploring the Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou supplements. There are several clips of Seu Jorge's music performances, and I got to thinking I'd like to get the soundtrack album because the music really was an important element of the film.
I think this is definitely a good "extra credit" item. I have Dazed and Confused, More Dazed and Confused, and Darjeeling Limited. Might be taking those for the drives to work in September. Thanks for reminding me.

I spruced up the checklist with more links and slight clarifications. Mainly for my OCD, but if anyone wants to borrow it or you want to officify it CardiffGiant, feel free. Some of MinLShaw's links stolen. I'm sure we can tweak it some more, or at least I will.
Officified. I changed Post #2 in the List Thread. That's some real dedication to change each one of those decades. Thanks for doing that.

I also like the inclusion of MinLShaw's links.
Old 08-24-11, 01:46 AM

I've been keeping an eye on TCM, AMC, etc. and it looks like TCM is rolling with the Criterion releases. On August 24th (today), they are having Sweet Smell of Success, Brute Force, The Killers, and The Leopard (it's Burt Lancaster day). That's four Criterion releases in less than 24 hours. I know it isn't September, but it could be a good time to get the DVRs loaded with content.

Originally Posted by ororama
I focused on Criterion's World War II films during last year's challenge because I hadn't got to them during the Historical Challenge. The Cranes Are Flying and Closely Watched Trains were the highlights of the challenge for me. Each dealt with serious issues concerning the war (though Closely Watched Trains approached it through comedy) in an unexpected way. I couldn't agree more about of Ballad of a Soldier as a companion for The Cranes Are Flying. It's the sort of movie that you would expect from the Soviet Union about World War II, but its message is still powerful.
Closely Watched Trains is another great one. I'm glad you mentioned it. I'm disappointed that the extras are so sparse on each of those three discs.

To those looking for good, relatively short films within the collection, all of the films are 95 minutes or less and really pack an emotional wallop.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.