DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Not meant to own this DVD...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-11, 04:23 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts
Not meant to own this DVD...

Apparently, I am not meant to own the 4-disc Adventures Of Indiana Jones (2003, with Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Temple Of Doom, and Last Crusade, + Bonus Disc), Widescreen Edition (I don't care about Crystal Skull).

The first one I bought was listed as MINT! LIKE NEW! Usually I send the seller questions about the actual condition of the DVD/Set, but didn't this time because it sounded like just what I was looking for (in hindsight I was stupid for not doing what I usually do). The DVD set arrived in good time, but lo & behold the box had Used DVD stickers all over the front and back of the box, the box had a crack in the top corner and was BADLY worn, all 4 discs were scratched, scuffed, and had fingerprints on them. I sent the seller a message demanding a refund and that they pay for return shipping because they'd misrepresented this SO BADLY. They refused (they still insisted it was in MINT! condition) so I opened a case explaining the actual condition of the DVD set and even offering to attach pics if necessary. Ultimately I got a full refund for that disaster.

The second one I bought, I was in contact with the seller and felt very confident that it was going to be in pristine condition. One week came and went, no Indiana Jones (no problem). Second week came & went, nothing (starting to wonder). Third week, the same thing (something's wrong here). Fourth week the same, no Indiana Jones (by now I know something has happened to this DVD set). Finally got in contact with not only the seller but with USPS to find out where in the hell this DVD set was! Nobody could offer any explanation, so the seller ultimately refunded the DVD set. I made sure I let him know that if the DVD set ever did magically arrive, I would be in contact with him to make good on the purchase. Week five has come and gone, no Indiana Jones. I suspect it was delivered to someone else who was only too happy to keep it.

After getting a refund for the second set, I located and bought a third set, Brand New, sounded too good to be true! It arrived in good time, opened up the box.......and goddamnit if it wasn't the Full Screen version... Auction clearly showed AND stated WIDESCREEN. Got in contact with the seller who apologized profusely for not really thinking a great deal about the difference between Full Screen and Widescreen and issued a full refund and a return shipping label (I insisted), the DVD set is boxed, sealed, and ready to go back into the mail system in the morning.

Sorry for the length of this rant, but have any of you ever had SO MUCH TROUBLE buying a DVD that you started to wonder if you were really ever meant to own it?

I don't know if I should try again, third time was already NOT the charm... -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 07-28-11 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-28-11, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Not meant to own this DVD...

Bummer...I'll sell you mine, shoot me a PM.
Old 07-28-11, 04:40 PM

You were meant to wait for the Blu-ray, obviously.
Old 07-28-11, 04:53 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
Bummer...I'll sell you mine, shoot me a PM.
PM shot... -kd5-
Old 07-28-11, 04:55 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JakeNeff
You were meant to wait for the Blu-ray, obviously.
Afraid it wouldn't do me any good, no blu-ray player, all mine are standard DVDs... -kd5-
Old 07-28-11, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some sinister power at work there...
Old 07-28-11, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by kd5
Afraid it wouldn't do me any good, no blu-ray player.
Obviously, you are meant to buy a Blu-ray player.
Old 07-28-11, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem as the OP when I ordered one of those on Amazon.com, the 3rd party seller sent me one all beaten/scuffed up - I demanded a refund and a shipping label which I got finally... Didn't bother to try and order another one from any place else, I already own them all on VHS so I figured I'd just wait until I find a good deal for this in a B&M store where I could inspect it before buying it.

I'll most likely wait for a Blu-ray trilogy now, even though we still only have one player.
Old 07-28-11, 05:49 PM

That reminds me of my epic quest to obtain The Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection on DVD this year in time for July 4th, after observing prices for it on Amazon since the past July 4th yet always managing to miss out on every deal around/below $100.

My first eBay auction was for $68. It seemed like a great deal, and sort of made sense with the Blu Rays out now for the first four seasons and the DVD market nowadays. The day after I ordered it I was reading up on the release and discovered that it had been bootlegged. The picture on the auction matched a picture on a website that was claimed to represent the bootleg and the seller had feedback complaining of bootlegs, so I asked to cancel my order before they sent it as I didn't want to receive a bootleg and they complied promptly.

My second attempt on eBay was for $69.99, from a seller with no feedbacks regarding bootlegs who also offered other items besides DVDs of season sets. The item arrived with discs falling out of the case, single layer discs, very visible macro blocking, etc (I made a thread about it). I asked him for a refund and he agreed to but only after I sent it back. I was afraid of him not offering a refund if I asked for return shipping so I didn't.

My third attempt on eBay was for $99.99, on an auction that claimed to be U.S. Retail and had images of the original packaging that differs from the packaging on the bootleg which mimics a repackaging of the set. Feeling completely safe I placed an order immediately after I received my refund from the previous order. It arrived promptly and I was heartbroken to see that it had the new packaging. Concerned that this would once again be the bootleg though expecting it to be the repackaging, I wrote the seller, who had a no-returns-if-opened-policy, if I could return it if I opened it and it was a bootleg. Confusingly, he adamantly assured that it was legitimate, ordered from amazon, but asked me not to open it. Trusting his assurance that it was legitimate I opened it only to discover that it was the bootleg once again. He asked me to resend it anyway, though did not say he would refund me until he received it a week later and did so.

My fourth order on eBay was placed the day I mailed back my third order, for all five individual season releases for $80, shown in original pictures from the seller. They arrived two days later in great condition, dual layered and all.

If I was meant to own The Twilight Zone after all that, I wouldn't nearly throw in the towel yet on you owning Indiana Jones.
Old 07-28-11, 05:55 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, that's a bite. But it goes to show that (sometimes anyway) persistance pays off. Maybe I'll go for that 4th attempt. -kd5-
Old 07-28-11, 07:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kd5
Afraid it wouldn't do me any good, no blu-ray player, all mine are standard DVDs... -kd5-
Old 07-29-11, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
I was in the same boat as you just 2 months ago. Upgrade, you will wonder why you never did it sooner.
Old 07-29-11, 07:02 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I was in the same boat as you just 2 months ago. Upgrade, you will wonder why you never did it sooner.
Afraid it wouldn't do me any good, no HDMI on my TV... -kd5-
Old 07-29-11, 08:57 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
Buy a player for $60. You'll make that money back in all the times where the BD is actually cheaper than the DVD.

Even if you don't own a HD TV, a BD player makes sense.

Plus, you'll have better looking and sounding discs that will last longer.
Old 07-29-11, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wasn't meant to rent a couple of discs from two different multi-disc sets from Blockbuster Online. One was from a TV show and the other was a movie.

The TV show just had artwork on the disc and didn't say anything like the disc or season number. It was the wrong disc for the sleeve and I returned that thing at least a half dozen times, saying it was the wrong disc. Every time I'd get the same thing back. I know this because other than it being the same disc number, I put a small dot on the artwork and when they'd send me the "right one", I'd get the same disc with the same dot.

As for the movie, the movie came and was the wrong disc in the right sleeve. This disc had artwork with a label saying what movie it was. The sleeve just said something like "whatever name of box set: Disc 2" but the title of the film was in the description, as was the description of the film. It wasn't any mystery if you actually looked at it. I went to my account online and picked the wrong movie sent, option, and sent it back. They then sent the disc back to me saying that I returned my own disc. Then the replacement came and it was the same deal. The same movie in the same sleeve.

In both cases, I eventually tried renting different discs of the set, hoping to get the right one but in both cases it never happened. So everyone that thinks cancelling Netflix and going to Blockbuster is a good idea, you're all forgetting how incompetent Blockbuster has been. We're talking about the business that managed to be the only one in town, after running out all the local stores, and still managing to bankrupt themselves.
Old 07-29-11, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The secondary market can really suck sometimes. I rarely use it but there certainly are deals to be had. I had ordered the soundtrack to Ponyo from a seller on Amazon. What I got was not the original soundtrack nor did it match the item displayed on the Amazon page. They did refund my money.
Old 07-29-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I have to say I'm not too keen on the online secondary market. When I buy DVDs online, it's almost always new, there's just too many issues with bootlegs and physical condition problems.

However! I am a big fan of buying used from brick and mortar stores. In the Chicago suburbs there's a chain of used stores called Disc Replay that sells used CDs, DVDs, Blu's, games, etc. There's also places like Half Price books and of course pawn shops. I've been able to find all manner of goodies over the years at places like this.

If you can't get what you want from the Amazon sellers, look for a local place.
Old 07-29-11, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
It was the wrong disc for the sleeve and I returned that thing at least a half dozen times, saying it was the wrong disc. Every time I'd get the same thing back.
I had this happen a few times. Eventually, I decided to hold onto the disc after I reported it until the replacement came. That way there's no way they could send me the same wrong one.
Old 07-29-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kd5
PM shot... -kd5-
And returned.
Old 07-29-11, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kd5
Afraid it wouldn't do me any good, no HDMI on my TV... -kd5-
New TV time! I just jumped into high def these past 2 months with a Samsung un55d8000 and a PS3. The 3-D at home is amazing, do it!
Old 07-29-11, 04:40 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure Blu-Ray is wonderful, but I'm not buying a new TV when mine works just fine (knock on wood), just so I can buy a Blu-Ray player, just so I can watch my standard def DVDs on it. That's a lot of $$$ for not much (if any) gain at this point in time. -kd5-
Old 07-29-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^---SD Discs actually look a lot better unconverted.
Old 07-29-11, 05:01 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
I'm sure Blu-Ray is wonderful, but I'm not buying a new TV when mine works just fine (knock on wood), just so I can buy a Blu-Ray player, just so I can watch my standard def DVDs on it. That's a lot of $$$ for not much (if any) gain at this point in time. -kd5-
No need to buy a new TV, unless your set is ancient and doesn't have component inputs.
Old 07-29-11, 05:35 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
No need to buy a new TV, unless your set is ancient and doesn't have component inputs.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-th...ay-player.html -kd5-
Old 07-29-11, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
^---SD Discs actually look a lot better unconverted.
I'm certain that he meant uPconverted

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.