Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Chipped artwork on top of disc?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-11, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chipped artwork on top of disc?

Hey all, A few of my dvds and blu rays have some missing chips of paint on the top of the discs. If I hold them up to the light, I can see a tiny pinprick of light through it. The dvds are xbox 360 games, and they install fine, so the data seems to all be there. These were all bought brand new and very recently. Anyone else notice this on any of their discs? If so, did it cause any long term problems, or is it just a small cosmetic defect with no other effects?
Old 06-28-11, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Chipped artwork on top of disc?

If you're seeing tiny dots where light shines through your disks, that's not a problem with the artwork, but with the aluminum layer inside the disk that reflects the laser. The artwork is silk-screened on top of the disk and has no effect on the read process. (Double-sided DVD's have no artwork at all.)

I don't recall seeing this on a DVD, but am sure I have a few CD's with pinprick holes in the aluminum. At the time I didn't think much of it, because the disks still played normally, probably due to the error correction inherent in the format. Likewise, as your DVD's work normally, I wouldn't worry about the defect. The internals of a CD, DVD, etc. is all airtight, and the holes won't be getting any bigger. There is a process called oxidation where over time, air does creep inside the disk from the edges, causing the aluminum layer to change color and rust...but that's a totally different problem.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. (If anybody reading this disagrees, please say so!)
Old 06-28-11, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Chipped artwork on top of disc?

Hmm, yeah I don't think the hole is actually in the aluminum layer of the disc, because if I look at the top where the silk screening is, I can see where the small chip of artwork is missing. Guess it was just a slight defect in the silk screening process, so I'm sure it isn't much to be concerned about. I have it on a few dvds (xbox 360 games, so I can't say I'm surprised because their quality control is almost non-existant) and on some ps3 blu rays, so it must be silk screening imperfections.. or else I'm extremely unlucky when it comes to buying discs

Last edited by Chris64421; 06-28-11 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Add more