Reload this Page >

May 2011 Make-Your-Own Challenge Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

May 2011 Make-Your-Own Challenge Discussion Thread

Old 05-22-11, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: May 2011 Make-Your-Own Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I'm nearing the end of my available movie serials. Looks like I'll either need to change themes or order a few from my "wish list" to finish the month. I'm looking at picking up 1 or more of these:

"Buck Rogers" (Top of the list and I've *never* seen the serial before)
"The Phantom"
"The Jungle Queen"
"The Lost City"
"Zombies of the Stratosphere" (3rd appearance of the "Rocket Suit" plus Leonard Nimoy as a Martian invader)
"The Green Hornet"/"The Green Hornet Strikes Again" (Big fan of the 60's series and I've never seen these)

Gotta decide tonight so whatever gets ordered will arrive in time.
If you're dying for something to watch, you could always subject yourself to The Amazing Exploits of the Clutching Hand at Archive.org.

They actually have a bunch of the ones you listed, if you want to watch them before buying better copies (The Phantom, The Green Hornet, The Green Hornet Strikes Again, Shadow of Chinatown).
Old 05-22-11, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Thanks for the reminder about archive.org! I tend to forget that site for older PD stuff. I'll be doing some "screening" on some of those I listed.

Didn't you comment earlier about how "bad" "The Clutching Hand" is?
Old 05-22-11, 05:00 PM

I don't think I said it was bad, just that it wasn't good.
Old 05-22-11, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

^Thanks for the reminder about archive.org! I tend to forget that site for older PD stuff. I'll be doing some "screening" on some of those I listed.

And this site
http://camelotbroadcasting.com/about/

The stuff you're looking at is on the top under suspense.
Old 05-22-11, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
And this site
http://camelotbroadcasting.com/about/

The stuff you're looking at is on the top under suspense.
And now it's just sad... I posted about finding that site way back in #110 on May 1st and commented on how they have "The Clutching Hand" available... and I completely forgot about it - plus it, along with archive.org, is bookmarked in my PD films folder! Talk about your basic brain-fart...
Old 05-22-11, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Yeah, the more I look the more I lean toward "The Lost City" and "Zombies...".

Thanks for the link but I'll most likely go for the VCI version to get *much* better quality than a MC multi-pack (plus I already have most of what's on that particular set in other MC sets). Be aware that the Flash Gordon, "Radio Ranch", and "The Phantom Creeps" on that set are edited, movie length, versions of the respective serials.

I do *not* have "Shadow of Chinatown". It sounds interesting plus it's early Katzman with Lugosi. Sinester Cinema has a DVD-R version fairly cheap supposedly made from the only known 16mm print. I'm not crazy about DVD-R releases but the only other versions I've found are from MC and Alpha, both of which are on-again/off-again with quality of the prints used on the serials. Essentially, I use them if I want a farily cheap "screener" copy. If it turns out farily good (like those John Wayne and Zorro ones were) I'll generally not "upgrade". Since I liked "Drums of Fu Manchu" it looks like I'll need to add that one to my list.

I have this version of "The Phantom Creeps" ($2/Big Lots). It's not a very good copy and has a very large "bug" which appears frequently and for long periods. It was purchased mainly to see if I liked it. I do so I'll eventually get the VCI edition of that one as well.

I don't want to sound like a shill... but so far *every* serial I've purchased from VCI has had very good video and audio. Well worth the extra few $$ if you're a fan of the genre.

I vote for "Buck Rogers" myself.

I was quite lucky in my serial purchases a few years ago (spring of 2002). I found a number of Republic Pictures VHS releases (two-tape sets) in stores before they all went out of print. Most have not come out on DVD. These included "SOS Coast Guard" (highly recommended), "Fighting Devil Dogs," "G-Men vs. the Black Dragon," "Jesse James Rides Again," and "The Adventures of Frank and Jesse James." The only Republic Pictures DVD release of a serial I have is "Captain Marvel," which looks absolutely stunning.
Old 05-22-11, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I vote for "Buck Rogers" myself.

I was quite lucky in my serial purchases a few years ago (spring of 2002). I found a number of Republic Pictures VHS releases (two-tape sets) in stores before they all went out of print. Most have not come out on DVD. These included "SOS Coast Guard" (highly recommended), "Fighting Devil Dogs," "G-Men vs. the Black Dragon," "Jesse James Rides Again," and "The Adventures of Frank and Jesse James." The only Republic Pictures DVD release of a serial I have is "Captain Marvel," which looks absolutely stunning.
I ordered "The Lost City" and "Zombies of the Stratosphere". While I *really* want a copy of "Buck Rogers" I'm waiting for the price to come down a bit. If push comes to shove I'll get it for the ~$18 currently at a couple of vendors, but would rather hold out for $14 or less. Of course, it's from VCI and their transfers are stunning for the material... at least for the ones from them I currently own. They are on a par with that "Captain Marvel" transfer! That one blew me away and started me going for the more expensive releases. I've not been sorry yet.
Old 05-22-11, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And now it's just sad... I posted about finding that site way back in #110 on May 1st and commented on how they have "The Clutching Hand" available... and I completely forgot about it - plus it, along with archive.org, is bookmarked in my PD films folder! Talk about your basic brain-fart...
I haven't watched anything yet but I've kept the tab open for the site.

I just finished House of the Devil and this is my only mini-review for the entire challenge. I found it overrated and glad I never did a blind buy on it. I know it's trying to be an 80s movie but they don't have to keep throwing it in your face more than actual movies from the 80s ever did.

And the end with
Spoiler:
her somehow surviving having her brains blown out in the middle of nowhere, which means there's not going to be paramedics anywhere close and with the proper life support for someone who's blood would have long since drained out by the time they got there. Maybe it was the magic moon man who was somehow shining his moon beams on the old lady as she looked out through the window before getting stabbed yet right after that, they show the moon just starting to come out of the eclipse.

Even with the issues throughout the film, it was still worth watching at least once.
Old 05-23-11, 02:32 AM

So I just got done watching Rasputin and the Empress from 1932 TiVoed off of Turner Classic Movies. Due to a lawsuit about this movie that made future movies have the disclaimer of "This motion picture is a work of fiction and any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental."
Old 05-23-11, 08:17 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
And the end with
Spoiler for House of the Devil to follow (for those reading the email notification where spoiler tags don't work):
Spoiler:
People shoot themselves in the head and don't die quite often. Her angle could have been slightly off, the bullets move around the skull instead of through it, etc etc

We fly people all the time who unsuccessfully tried to shoot themselves in the head.
Old 05-23-11, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My power converter shut down my whole system for undervoltage or overvoltage. So I couldn't watch anything yesterday and have to call the electrician today.
Old 05-23-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Spoiler for House of the Devil to follow (for those reading the email notification where spoiler tags don't work):
Spoiler:
People shoot themselves in the head and don't die quite often. Her angle could have been slightly off, the bullets move around the skull instead of through it, etc etc

We fly people all the time who unsuccessfully tried to shoot themselves in the head.
Spoiler:
You could see large chunks of her head fly out. With a hole that sized, the blood would have poured out like turning on a faucet and there'd be no way to save her that long after losing that much blood.

Ignoring that, while people are saved, the chanced of her being saved out in the middle of nowhere is highly unlikely. The ones that are saved have assistance nearby.

If we say the guy that was chasing her, the man with the bad leg that requires a cane and that was also stabbed in the stomach, decided to call the paramedics, you have to consider all the time the injured and crippled man would have to walk back to the house. This same house, out in the middle of nowhere, where the phone was disconnected, as shown when she tried to dial 911. Then the time spent getting an ambulance out to the graveyard and then locating her.

There's no possible way she could survive that long without the blood she'd lost, let alone the brain matter that flew out of the side of her head.

Minor issue is that I don't see how minor those damages were, considering she only had a head wrap and an IV at the hospital.

Simply put, she pulled a Budd Dwyer who was in a room full of people and in a town and he wasn't resurrected.
Old 05-24-11, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, without about a week left I'd say I've made pretty great progress on my challenge:

10 Seasons of The Simpsons + 5 Volumes of Futurama + 4 Futurama Movies + A Few Miscellaneous Episodes of The Simpsons and Futurama

I dunno if I can finish four more seasons, a movie, and the Tracy Ullman Shorts, but I'll give it a go.
Old 05-26-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
My power converter shut down my whole system for undervoltage or overvoltage. So I couldn't watch anything yesterday and have to call the electrician today.
Electrician said it was the component, and haven't heard back from repair. Now starting my fifth day without home theater
Old 05-26-11, 09:03 PM

I'm jumping in real late but I've got a bunch of foreign movies I've been meaning to watch. Started with the good the bad the weird and I saw the devil. Both awesome films. After a break I just finished watching La Horde and man I should have stuck to Korean pictures because that movie sucked hard.
Old 05-26-11, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by takingchase View Post
I'm jumping in real late but I've got a bunch of foreign movies I've been meaning to watch. Started with the good the bad the weird and I saw the devil. Both awesome films. After a break I just finished watching La Horde and man I should have stuck to Korean pictures because that movie sucked hard.
I was wondering if you were going to come back. Make sure to post your list in the List Thread so I'll remember to add you in for the drawing for free stuff from HamiltonBook.com.

And for the people who claimed a spot in the List Thread but haven't listed anything yet, it's not too late to start.
Old 05-26-11, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dimension X View Post
I was wondering if you were going to come back. Make sure to post your list in the List Thread so I'll remember to add you in for the drawing for free stuff from HamiltonBook.com.

And for the people who claimed a spot in the List Thread but haven't listed anything yet, it's not too late to start.
Ya, busier week than I expected but I'm hoping I can still get around the 15 mark with what little time I have. I'll get my list up tonight.
Old 05-27-11, 10:11 AM

I guess I will make my challenge (watch 50 from my unwatched movie pile) but I ended up purchasing 62 titles this month so my net is still not good!
Old 05-27-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ Sounds like many of my months...

I just finished "Captain Marvel" and the postman delivered:

"Zombies of the Stratosphere"
"The Lost City"

So I'll have some to watch over the weekend without resorting to streaming. I *hate* sitting in front of the computer to watch films, plus that's what the TV's for. I'd dl and burn 'em to DVD were it not for all the drives are too full for such a project and I'm feeling too lazy to clean 'em off at the moment!
Old 05-29-11, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't believe I did it, but I managed to watch every episode and movie of both The Simpsons and Futurama available on DVD, plus some broadcast episodes of The Simpsons.

One thing is bothering me though, lol. According to my tallying, I reached 107.5 entries; this equates to 323 and 87 episodes of The Simpsons and Futurama, respectively, and 5 movies OR 215 Television Hours (). However, when I checked episode lists on Wikipedia, it says I only watched 322 episodes of The Simpsons, and everything else stays the same. The problem is, that makes it 107.25 Entries, which is contrary to my final count. It's a minor discrepency, but it's annoying me because I can't figure out which episode I left out in my Queue (I think it must have been just a random episode I caught on TV).

But anyway, I watched Seasons 1-13 and 20 of The Simpsons and The Movie; I also watched a few random episodes from the 14th and 15th Seasons that were on Christmas With The Simpsons 2 and Kiss And Tell: The Story Of Their Love; and a few episodes from the 22nd Season during their on-air broadcasts. As for Futurama, I watched everything, including the Special Hypnotoad and Video Game Episodes.

All in all, I've enjoyed the challenge a lot. It was great to revisit two of my favorite shows and see how they both changed over time. While a decline in quality is definitely noticeable for The Simpsons, even the not-so-good seasons did have some good episodes, and the most recent seasons show marked signs of improvement. It's just too bad Season 14 hasn't been released on DVD yet so I could've included it at the end.

That said, I'm really looking forward to watching non-Matt Groening stuff now, lol. It's not that I got tired of watching The Simpsons or Futurama, but there have been other things I wanted to watch and put off because of the Challenge. Anyway, it was a fun Challenge and I enjoyed seeing what other people accomplished during it. Hope everyone finishes their goals before the month is over, I know I'm glad (and surprised) I did.
Old 05-29-11, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice job, kstublen
Old 05-29-11, 07:23 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Nice job, kstublen
Agreed! Very impressive kstublen. Reminds me of the old me.

I think I did 20 of my "short seasons", all 6-10 episodes iirc, so maybe 140 episodes total; or about a third of what you watched.

I did Futurama last year for one of the Challenges (Animation?) and loved it all, especially the Hypnotoad episode!

And great job on that pic!
Old 05-29-11, 04:50 PM

Finished my comedy movies A to Z, so this weekend I'm just watching movies I had to passover. Stuff like This is Spinal Tap, Raising Arizona, Liar Liar, and Office Space.
Old 05-29-11, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Indy24LA View Post
Finished my comedy movies A to Z, so this weekend I'm just watching movies I had to passover. Stuff like This is Spinal Tap, Raising Arizona, Liar Liar, and Office Space.
I really kind of wish someone would start an annual comedy challenge. I would be down with that.
Old 05-29-11, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by takingchase View Post
I really kind of wish someone would start an annual comedy challenge. I would be down with that.
I volunteer you.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.