Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

May 2011 Make-Your-Own Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-11, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: May 2011 Make-Your-Own Challenge Discussion Thread

Thanks, Dimension X, and all who participated in the discussion. I really enjoyed the challenge until my system went down, and did make progress on the unwatched pile.
Old 06-08-11, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
Adding the radio and video recordings really added to the Challenge for me, and I would encourage mods of other challenges to consider making them allowable for their challenges as well.
Perhaps we might consider adding a "supplemental" section that doesn't count for your viewing total, but does allow for you to note such content. I've talked in the past about the Warner Archive Collection Podcast, which is a collection of vintage radio shows, nearly all of which were abridged radio dramatizations of Warner movies typically with at least some of the film cast reprising their roles. I could see how someone participating in this year's Historical Appreciation Challenge might enjoy taking half an hour to listen to the radio version of Young Abraham Lincoln, or one of the wartime movies.

I personally favor this more holistic view of a challenge. I think while you're gorging on movies that fit a specific theme is the perfect time to want to delve into making-ofs, commentaries, interviews, etc. The problem is that we have a lot of participants who feel that "it's supposed to be about the MOVIES" (they always feel the need to capitalize that word when making their argument) and would revolt against expanding the scope of the challenge. We've had quite a hard time just getting Horror Challenge participants to accept TV content!

I found out that May 26, 2013 will be the 100th anniversary of the birth of Peter Cushing, so I've already got my theme for the May 2013 challenge.
This is the centennial of Ronald Reagan and I've incorporated that into this month's Historical Appreciation Challenge. It adds a nice running theme. I don't know that I'll make a point of choosing something as specific as an actor's centennial each time out, but I definitely do think there's an appeal to organizing one's challenge around a particular theme. The trick is finding a theme for yourself broad enough that it still allows for making a run at the checklist, which I enjoy because it does nudge me into exploring things that I might otherwise have overlooked.
Old 06-08-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Perhaps we might consider adding a "supplemental" section that doesn't count for your viewing total, but does allow for you to note such content. I've talked in the past about the Warner Archive Collection Podcast, which is a collection of vintage radio shows, nearly all of which were abridged radio dramatizations of Warner movies typically with at least some of the film cast reprising their roles. I could see how someone participating in this year's Historical Appreciation Challenge might enjoy taking half an hour to listen to the radio version of Young Abraham Lincoln, or one of the wartime movies.
Don't all the Challenges have wildcards now? I doubt anyone would complain (much) if you used them to count radio shows (or other audio recordings).
Old 06-08-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dimension X
The three prize recipients (picked using Random.org) are:

aspects
Quack
kstublen

Congratulations, folks. Check your PMs for instructions.

Thanks to everyone who participated in the Challenge, and a big thanks to Hamilton Books and GoldenWheels for providing the free stuff.
I'm still waiting to hear back from aspects and Quack. It's been a week now. If you don't want to claim your free item from Hamilton Books, let me know. I guess I could always draw a couple more names if I don't hear something from them by Friday or so.
Old 06-08-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you PM them or emailed them and haven't heard back, just redraw.
Old 06-08-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
if you PM them or emailed them and haven't heard back, just redraw.
I sent all the winners PMs last week, and I sent the two who didn't reply another PM a few minutes before I made my last post in this thread. I'll draw again some time on Friday if I don't hear from them by then.
Old 06-10-11, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, let's try this again. The remaining two winners never contacted me, so those two prizes are back in play. The two new prize recipients (picked using Random.org) are:

AdamGott and BuddhaWake

Congratulations, folks. Check your PMs for instructions.

Thanks again to everyone who participated in the Challenge, and another big thanks to Hamilton Books and GoldenWheels for providing the free stuff.
Old 06-10-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

^ Curse you random.org!!!!!!
Old 06-10-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
^ Curse you random.org!!!!!!
Stick around, you may get another chance.
Old 06-13-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

BuddhaWake, your prize went out priority mail today. Please let me know if you don't get it this week.

Your pick in fact looked so good I brought home a copy for myself!
Old 06-13-11, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GoldenWheels, just wanted to let you know that I (technically) got the package today. I was actually in the process of moving back home from a different apartment and had it sent there instead of the apartment, for obvious reasons. They didn't bother to tell me that a package arrived, so it's actually been there for a while, lol. Anyway, thanks for taking care of it and I appreciate the extra goodies; looking forward to checking them out as well. Thanks again!
Old 06-13-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Your pick in fact looked so good I brought home a copy for myself!
It did look like a cool book. Which reminds me, I was wondering if kstublen and BuddhaWake would mind sharing with everyone what items they picked.

And I'm still waiting to hear back from AdamGott.

Last edited by Dimension X; 06-13-11 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-13-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was my pick:

Been wanting it for a while and never bit because the price wasn't right. Saw it was for sale on HamiltonBooks and figured this was the perfect time to pick it up.
Old 06-13-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

This challenge made me decide to buy less things at Big Lots. Thanks Dimension X!
Old 06-13-11, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dimension X
It did look like a cool book. Which reminds me, I was wondering if kstublen and BuddhaWake would mind sharing with everyone what items they picked.

And I'm still waiting to hear back from AdamGott.
I almost said what it was but figured there must be some prize-winner-confidentiality I need to respect!

Originally Posted by kstublen
GoldenWheels, just wanted to let you know that I (technically) got the package today. I was actually in the process of moving back home from a different apartment and had it sent there instead of the apartment, for obvious reasons. They didn't bother to tell me that a package arrived, so it's actually been there for a while, lol. Anyway, thanks for taking care of it and I appreciate the extra goodies; looking forward to checking them out as well. Thanks again!
Glad you got it! Enjoy!
Old 06-13-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I felt the same way since I didn't tell them that I'd announce what they picked (I almost went back and edited out where I said that it was a book).

Next year I need to try to remember to get people to note on their lists if they'll accept something for nothing (what's wrong with me that I can't give stuff away?), and that since we get to see what people win in most of the other challenges, what they choose will be announced in the discussion thread.
Old 06-13-11, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay, AdamGott just claimed the last prize (better luck next time, Darth Maher).

Thanks again to everyone who participated, and to GoldenWheels and HamiltonBooks.

See y'all next year.
Old 06-13-11, 07:00 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Thanks again Dimension X! And to all of you for the neat Challenges. But do me a favor everyone, no new ideas for the next 20 years or so, as my next 20 Mays are booked with your ideas.
Old 06-14-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Adam...your prize went out today. Please let me know if you don't get it within a week. And enjoy it, that's a nice set.
Old 06-15-11, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sorry for the late reply but I was away for 2 days. I actually picked out a book that was mention in the B-movie challenge.
SWEDISH SENSATIONSFILMS: A Clandestine History of Sex, Thrillers, and Kicker Cinema
http://www.hamiltonbook.com/hamilton...oducts/2612240

thanks again. (could a mod fix my link?)
Old 06-18-11, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
This challenge made me decide to buy less things at Big Lots. Thanks Dimension X!
Me too! I ended up watching a lot of crap that had been stacking up over the last few years, most of it from Big Lots.
Old 06-18-11, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Adam...your prize went out today. Please let me know if you don't get it within a week. And enjoy it, that's a nice set.
got it yesterday, thanks!