Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will the Monkees season sets ever be re-released?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-11, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been thinking a lot about this show lately...it's on Antenna TV and the Monkees are reuniting for a tour and the Biography channel aired their biography the other night. It seems they are as popular as ever...so I go shopping for the seasons on DVD and they are out of print.

So...what are the chances they will come out again? I just wondered if there were any music rights issues that are at play here or what the deal is.
Old 03-09-11, 07:29 PM

Re: Will the Monkees season sets ever be re-released?

Glad I got them about 7 years ago before the prices became obscene. Probably one of the first TV collections that went OOPS.
Old 03-09-11, 07:36 PM
Banned

Wow I didn't realize the were OOP! Glad I bought mine years ago as well-
Old 03-09-11, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been wanting re-releases for a long time now. I bought them years ago for $50 and $80 respectively, then sold them when I grew tired of them. BIG MISTAKE... I really wish I hadn't sold the season sets because now they are each $100, if I'm lucky. Sony(?) re-released Transformers and G.I. Joe which were originally owned by Rhino, why can't someone else re-release The Monkees? Rhino is ridiculous when it comes to prices on TV shows.
Old 03-10-11, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sent Rhino an e-mail about this last year but never recieved a reply. I never did buy the bulky sets that came out years ago. I also read a lot of negative reviews about the quality of the sets and the 5.1 remixes Rhino stuck on there.
Now would be a good time to re-release this series with better a/v and packaging. I still have the complete series on VHS from Columbia House which i burned to DVD-R. I would upgrade if a better set came out.
Old 03-11-11, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

I have season 1 but I never got around to buying season 2...would love to see them re-release the series.
Old 03-11-11, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also definitely be in for a re-release of The Monkees. I delayed on buying the original release because of the price, inconvenient packaging, and generally negative reviews of the content, but still planned to pick them up someday if I could ever find them on sale. I didn't realize that they had gone OOP.

Hopefully someone like Shout Factory can pick this up and release a reasonably priced set, because I think that would sell at least as well as Leave It to Beaver or some of their other vintage releases.
Old 03-11-11, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would hope if they ever do rerelease it they can somehow include that Criterion Edition of Head that's part of the other boxed set that's out there.

That would make me buy the whole thing wholeheartedly.
Old 03-12-11, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Last I saw these sets, they were at Borders (the remaining ones staying open) for a hefty price of what little they had left but if you do happen to find them, be prepared to shell out some dough for these box sets. They wont be cheap.
Old 03-12-11, 09:00 PM

I too would like to see the Monkees re-released on DVD. Never got around to buying them the first time around because they were so expensive, plus I didn't care for the way the discs were packaged in those bulky boxes that represented vinyl record players. I don't know if Rhino still own the DVD distribution rights. If they don't, then it would be logical for Sony to release DVD sets someday since Sony is the distributor of the television airings (as shown following the closing credits on AntennaTV).
Old 03-13-11, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I believe Rhino OWNS the Monkees brand.

The band's legacy was strengthened by Rhino Entertainment's acquisition of the Monkees' franchise from Columbia Pictures in the early 1990s. The label has released several Monkees-related projects, including remastered editions of both the original television series and their complete music library, as well as their motion picture Head.
Old 03-13-11, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Criterion has Head as part of their America Lost and Found: The BBS Story that they just put out a few months ago.
Old 03-17-11, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow
Criterion has Head as part of their America Lost and Found: The BBS Story that they just put out a few months ago.
Which means that Rhino is at least open to licensing them out to other labels. And since its sounds like they do own the rights, not sure why the original sets would go OOP, unless they are planning some kind of (hopefully better or more consumer-friendly priced) re-release.
Old 03-17-11, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
Which means that Rhino is at least open to licensing them out to other labels. And since its sounds like they do own the rights, not sure why the original sets would go OOP, unless they are planning some kind of (hopefully better or more consumer-friendly priced) re-release.
Or Rhino's license has expired and Criterion picked it up. Either way, in this market, do not expect another release.And it certainly won't be better than Criterion's
Old 03-17-11, 11:02 PM

I wish Shout Factory could get ahold of the rights to this show. That would be awesome!!
Old 03-18-11, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I agree! I wish this would be re-released. At the time they came out, I couldn't afford to buy the box sets and it's the one DVD buying regret I really have. I have Head and the Favorite episodes disc, but it's just not the same as having all of them to watch.
Old 03-20-11, 07:55 PM

Holy shit! I stopped by a used DVD store today and what did I happen to find?

I couldn't believe it! I almost didn't even stop by I felt like stopping in on my home from work. I was looking through their box sets and low and behold I saw both seasons, and I couldn't believe how much they were asking... $46 each! I literally just looked these up on eBay and Amazon on Thursday and they were $150 at the lowest price! That was $150 each! I paid $100 for both of these together. I am so happy, I didn't really have the money for them but I couldn't pass them up, I would have been pissed if I had missed them!

The box for the 2nd season is kind of beaten up on the back, but other than that they are in good condition and all the discs appear to be in good condition. I am so happy I found these!
Old 03-21-11, 01:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Holy shit! I stopped by a used DVD store today and what did I happen to find?

I couldn't believe it! I almost didn't even stop by I felt like stopping in on my home from work. I was looking through their box sets and low and behold I saw both seasons, and I couldn't believe how much they were asking... $46 each! I literally just looked these up on eBay and Amazon on Thursday and they were $150 at the lowest price! That was $150 each! I paid $100 for both of these together. I am so happy, I didn't really have the money for them but I couldn't pass them up, I would have been pissed if I had missed them!

The box for the 2nd season is kind of beaten up on the back, but other than that they are in good condition and all the discs appear to be in good condition. I am so happy I found these!
Lucky find!
Old 03-21-11, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by VikingsSooners
Lucky find!
VERY lucky find
Old 03-21-11, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Monkees
VERY lucky find
I am going to look around for the Monkees sets and hope I can find them for cheap!
Old 03-21-11, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not lucky...a GREAT find! Nice going! As long as the discs aren't damaged and they play properly, you got a hell of a deal there.
Old 03-21-11, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by rmw650
Not lucky...a GREAT find! Nice going! As long as the discs aren't damaged and they play properly, you got a hell of a deal there.
Give us a review when you get the chance to watch a few episodes. I'm curious about the a/v quality of the set.
Old 03-21-11, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveM4964
Give us a review when you get the chance to watch a few episodes. I'm curious about the a/v quality of the set.
DVDTalk SEASON 1 and SEASON 2 reviews from 2003.
Old 03-22-11, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by DaveM4964
I had these sets back in 2005/06 and the video quality is great, the 5.1 audio is awful. I didn't have a home theater set up back then but I thought it sound bad on my regular TV. When I put the discs in and selected 5.1 just to hear it, it was horrible. Sounds like everything is in a museum or something, everything is very echoy and just sounds terrible. The 2.0 sounds great though!
Old 03-22-11, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^Why did you get rid of them when you initially had them? I have the sets, but never watch them, to me the biggest draw back was no "play all" function, and from what I remember navigating the menu was a bit of a pain... I like the music, but the show never really clicked with me.... If it had play all I probably would have watched more episodes & become more of a fan...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.