Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Second Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2011

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-11, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: Second Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2011

Caligula, I just noticed that you changed B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge to Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge. I like it better in that order too, but now my list banner looks screwy.
Old 03-24-11, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Second Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2011

I asked earlier but I don't think anyone answered. Does anyone know of any cannibal films without live animal killings? That's the one thing I can't stomach but I'll need one for my checklist.
Old 03-24-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by takingchase
I asked earlier but I don't think anyone answered. Does anyone know of any cannibal films without live animal killings? That's the one thing I can't stomach but I'll need one for my checklist.
Any cannibal film not set in South America will probably be a safe bet. Also I don't think that practice is near as common as you think it is. I can only come up with a handful that actually do it.
Old 03-24-11, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by takingchase
"Dr. Butcher, MD" is a hoot and the only thing killed is badly molded latex.
Old 03-24-11, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Part of me can't wait to put myself through a Guinea Pig Films/Men Behind The Sun Series gigantic marathon.

Old 03-24-11, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

caligula, you might want to post a link in the first post of the list thread to AMC's streaming B-movie site, located here, to give folks more viewing ideas.
Old 03-24-11, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Caligula, I just noticed that you changed B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-in Movie Challenge to Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge. I like it better in that order too, but now my list banner looks screwy.
Actually, it would suit it if I changed the name for each territory. Yeah, I realized when I wanted a short version, I liked "Drive-in challenge" over "B-Movie challenge". Plus, I get rid of a redundant "movie"

I updated the safe lists with links to IMDB. Not quite finished with the actors.
Old 03-24-11, 09:31 PM

Without a doubt, the greatest TV commercial EVER.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uzFLWYF5hQU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-24-11, 10:06 PM

howdy, y'all --

it has been forever and a day since i participated in a message board, so my etiquette is maybe outdated. but a quick google search about a something weird video 'drive-in classics' set (need to secure swamp girl) and i was smitten.

grindhouse, cult, sleaze and all manner 'sploitation are are my stock and trade, and to find a gaggle of like-minded viewers pleases me more than fulci and a distressed eyeball.

i am wicked excited to take part in the semi organized illumination of the trashier side of cinema.

(now i guess i'll go back and read the rules/faq to avoid any rank amateur mistakes. thanks)
Old 03-24-11, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by rekrapmnwahs
howdy, y'all --

it has been forever and a day since i participated in a message board, so my etiquette is maybe outdated. but a quick google search about a something weird video 'drive-in classics' set (need to secure swamp girl) and i was smitten.

grindhouse, cult, sleaze and all manner 'sploitation are are my stock and trade, and to find a gaggle of like-minded viewers pleases me more than fulci and a distressed eyeball.

i am wicked excited to take part in the semi organized illumination of the trashier side of cinema.

(now i guess i'll go back and read the rules/faq to avoid any rank amateur mistakes. thanks)
Welcome! If you have fun with this challenge you should try some of the others we have throughout the year.
Old 03-24-11, 11:24 PM

howdy, y'all --

Head on over to the list thread and reserve a spot. All discussion is in this thread and you list is in the other thread. You can continually update your list as you watch movies. We usually like to put our impressions of the movies (like mini reviews or just comments) after each movie, or not. It's up to you. Here's a link to last year's list thread so you can get the idea.

Welcome to the challenge.
Old 03-24-11, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just wondering as i will be using netflix for most of the challenge think itll be worth compiling a list of available titles on one of the first posts?
Old 03-25-11, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To bring up Dirty Harry again, since this challenge is about enjoyment and not necessarily numbers of movies watched, there's no reason someone couldn't watch it and then watch the imitations it inspired. The same could be done with other films and I think it could bring some added enjoyment.

I'm not advocating counting Dirty Harry but it could make the challenge more filling in a way.
Old 03-25-11, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by terrycloth
just wondering as i will be using netflix for most of the challenge think itll be worth compiling a list of available titles on one of the first posts?
I think someone listed a bunch of titles earlier and I'm going to put them in post #4 soon. If anyone knows of any other titles, let me know. I just got Netflix streaming and I'm having a devil of a time browsing for suitable titles that aren't Horror.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
To bring up Dirty Harry again, since this challenge is about enjoyment and not necessarily numbers of movies watched, there's no reason someone couldn't watch it and then watch the imitations it inspired. The same could be done with other films and I think it could bring some added enjoyment.

I'm not advocating counting Dirty Harry but it could make the challenge more filling in a way.
Officially, I think we should allow Dirty Harry. To fully appreciate the challenge, I suggest watching Dirty Harry ripoffs instead.
Old 03-25-11, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

howdy, y'all --

One of us! One of us! Gooble gobble gooble gobble! One of us!
Old 03-25-11, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

How about changing the checklist from:

MST3K (or Cinematic Titanic) version of a film

To:

MST3K/RiffTrax (or Cinematic Titanic) version of a film
Old 03-25-11, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Hosted By People Who Make Fun If It
(MST3K/RiffTrax/Cinematic Titanic/The Film Crew/Elvira/Canned Film Festival/It's Alive/Wolfman Mac/Others?)
Bonus Points for whoever can watch one film by the most different hosts.

The Canned Film Festival: Robot Monster (1/8) on YouTube

The It's Alive Show: First Spaceship On Venus (This week, it'll probably be something different buy the 31st!)
Old 03-25-11, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
I think someone listed a bunch of titles earlier and I'm going to put them in post #4 soon. If anyone knows of any other titles, let me know. I just got Netflix streaming and I'm having a devil of a time browsing for suitable titles that aren't Horror.
Ya, it's going to be a pain to find stuff. I remember none of the stoner movies being on that list. You can find most of those under the late night comedies section. A couple I remember not being on the list;

Pervert!
Smiley Face
Sex Galaxy
Nice Dreams
The Stoned Age
Friday
Old 03-25-11, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Without a doubt, the greatest TV commercial EVER.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uzFLWYF5hQU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Anyone recognize the car chase footage in that commercial? It looks familiar enough that I should recognize it, but it's been so long since I've seen it that all those great '70s car chases that were shot in cities other than New York have all kind of blurred together in my memory.
Old 03-25-11, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
How about changing the checklist from:

MST3K (or Cinematic Titanic) version of a film

To:

MST3K/RiffTrax (or Cinematic Titanic) version of a film
OK. Keep in mind, RiffTrax for "appropriate" films. Rifftrax does a lot of mainstream films. Dark Knight doesn't become safe just because there's a RiffTrax for it.

I added Ozploitation for Australian films and Teen Sex Comedies under Sexploitation.
Old 03-25-11, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Less than a week away and I am getting really excited about this chalolenge. Dont know if I can hold off on watching any B movies until the challenge starts or not.
Old 03-25-11, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I still don't know how much participation I'll really give this, but I just had the small thrill of creating a list thread post and created an image for it from a childhood photo. One movie I may break down and order from Amazon using my wife's Prime membership is Alexander the Great, which was originally a TV pilot but it's been released as a movie. It stars not just William Shatner, but Adam West to boot! I hear it's pretty bad, but then I've also sat through John Wayne as Genghis Khan in The Conqueror so I suspect I'll dig it. (And if it doesn't pan out for use here, I can just wait till June's Historical Appreciation Challenge!)
Old 03-25-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Anyone recognize the car chase footage in that commercial? It looks familiar enough that I should recognize it, but it's been so long since I've seen it that all those great '70s car chases that were shot in cities other than New York have all kind of blurred together in my memory.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1070929AAs97FF

In the Geico commercial where the dog is chasing the cat in a car, what movie or tv show did Geico use?
4 days ago

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
It is from the movie Shadows in an Empty Room (Blazing Magnum) from 1976. You can watch the whole chase scene on Youtube.
Widescreen version:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I-mGNk9lLuE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Full frame version:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5fsOkD4acEg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-25-11, 02:03 PM

Kick ass! And it's Eurocrime, to boot. It will be mine.
Old 03-25-11, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Browsing the Netflix listings for possible Blu-ray rentals during the challenge, I came across a few possible titles that I'm unsure of. Blue Thunder was nominated for an Oscar for editing, but it looks like a silly, violent action film. Would it count? What about Dead Calm, Over the Top, Purple Rain, Omega Man, Billy Jack, The Deep or Manhunter?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.