Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you watch TV season sets?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: How do you watch TV series sets?
Watch a series all the way through or as far as available, one at a time
40.23%
Watch two or more series at a time, completely going through each series
13.79%
Pick through and watch favorite episodes
3.45%
Start a series, watch a few episodes, return to it sometime later (or not)
8.05%
Watch a season at a time, mixing up with other series
25.29%
Have a schedule, like a certain series on a certain day
1.15%
Other
2.30%
Who's got time to watch them? But I have them to watch whenever I want (whenever that may be)
5.75%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

How do you watch TV season sets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-10, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Re: How do you watch TV season sets?

If I've seen the show while it's on air, I will pick favorite episodes and listen to audio commentary tracks.

For example, I own every season of 24 and watched all of them while they aired, but if I'm ever in a 24 mood, I may pick a random season and watch a memorable episode.

If it's something I've never seen, I will watch it straight through 1 season at a time. If it's a 22-24 episode season, I usually have 3 hour marathons per night.
Old 12-11-10, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Typically I'll watch a season at a time and bounce around from one show to another. Though there are a few seasons I've started and stopped because the interest wasn't there or I got busy and haven't made it back to them yet.
I'm the same way. There are a lot of shows that I've started up and just haven't revisited again. Too much stuff to try and watch leads me to lose interest sometimes.
Old 12-11-10, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't have a schedule I sometimes watch a series all in a row over a few days but other times I mix and match ALOT. For instance last week I watched discs of Joey Season 1,New Adventures of Old Christine Season 2,and quite a few discs of Futurama. Like I've watched the 1st 12 and 4/5ths discs of Futurama but I sometimes need a break so I watch Disc 1 of Joey Season 1 and the last 2 discs of Old Christine Season 2,so no I really have it there to watch whenever I want and of course don't forget I have like 600+ titles unwatched on my shelfs which is ridiculous and that doesn't even take in the fact that TV Series have multiple episodes. I need to watch what I have instead of keep buying buying buying or renting renting renting....wait sorry for the rant,no I don't have any set rule for TV seasons.
Old 12-13-10, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watch my TV shows on a season-by-season basis but I'm usually juggeling 2 or 3 seasons at a time as I get bored easily watching the same genre over and over again. But I do try to finish every series I start unless the furture seasons are not available or the show becomes too dull. Depending on the length of the series it usually takes me about 6 months to finish an entire series because I'm watching multiple series...
Old 12-15-10, 12:32 PM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I'll typically watch in small batches of episodes -- getting through the season within a week usually.
Old 12-15-10, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I always have to finish a series once I start it. I never watch more then 1 genre at a time. For example, Right now I have been switching off between Deadwood and Home Improvement.

I quickly watched seasons 1-3 of HI, then took a break to watch the complete Deadwood series, then onto 24: Season 8 using Home Improvement as breaks.
Old 12-15-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Great thread....I do my best to try to watch shows I haven't watched yet even though have owned for some time now, (Voltron, Battlestar Galactica, The Real Ghostbusters, The Simpsons). I do my best to not get side tracked but it usually happens.
Old 12-16-10, 09:23 AM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

This time of the year I set my normal viewing aside and ferret out Christmas-Themed Episodes that are in my Collection. Once the Holidays are over I'll resume my regular programs.
Old 12-16-10, 05:40 PM

If I've seen the show while it's on air, I will pick favorite episodes and listen to audio commentary tracks.

If it's something I've never seen, I will watch it straight through 1 season at a time. If it's a 22-24 episode season, I usually have 3 hour marathons per night.
I usually do the same thing. I have on occasion revisited a favorite show and had a marathon. Or if its an older tv show that I didn't have access to on DVD at first.. I'll watch all episodes.
Old 12-21-10, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I enjoy spending a weekend and just devouring a season of a show (e.g. Sopranos, Deadwood, Mad Men, thirtysomething) going back and rewatching the show with commentaries before moving onto the next episode, and disc extras before moving onto the next disc.. Really love the DVD format!!!

Last edited by Jack Straw; 12-22-10 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-22-10, 04:45 PM

I'll have a few on the go, dipping in and out of them, but try to get them watched as fast as possible.

Like me and my mom (her first time watching it) started Lost in November and we finished it a few days ago, but on a re-watch of Voyager I stopped at season 5 or 6 a few months ago, but will get back to it.
Old 12-27-10, 02:41 PM

I don't have the attention span to go through an entire series before moving on to the next. I watch everything in order, but I'm continuously starting new things and trying to finish older stuff at the same time. That way I never get burnt out or bored from a particular series. Right now I'm going through 24, the X-Files, Stargate SG-1, Star Trek: TNG, Farscape, Dead Like Me, the West Wing, Veronica Mars, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Babylon 5, Angel, Battlestar Galactica, Penn & Teller's Bullshit, Dexter, the new Doctor Who, That 70s Show, How I Met Your Mother, Scrubs, Undeclared, Psych, the Sopranos, Oz, and Weeds.

I'm pretty good at keeping track of storylines, and I never get lost. Some stuff is taking forever though. X-Files, for example, I've been going through for over two years now and I'm only on Season 5. On the other hand, Stargate SG-1 I've been going through for only a year or so and I'm on Season 7. It's all about what I'm more interested in at the time I guess.
Old 12-27-10, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tend to watch TV on DVD over at a friends house. We tend to watch multiple seasons at a time. On a typical week, we'll watch 4 episodes. 2 Supernaturals, 1 Psych, & 1 Dexter. Sometimes, we'll mix up the amt of episodes of a seaon we'll watch. Serialized shows are much easier to watch multiple episodes in a row. While I like Psych, watching 3 episodes of that in a row tends to get me bored but I can watch the same amount of Dexter & want to see more.
Old 12-28-10, 12:43 PM
Cool New Member

Depends but have two examples. A show like LOST was one I got the DVD's and burned through them over a weekend because it was addicting. On the other hand, a show like the X-Files is one I take my time with. I picked up the complete series a couple years ago and I'm still working on Season 7. I didn't watch the X-Files growing up but it seemed like a cool show and it is but for me it's not as addicting as LOST.