54.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

2010 TV on DVD Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: 2010 TV on DVD Challenge Discussion Thread

I'm currently watching 23 episodes of "Rocky Jones Space Ranger". This is a very fun series and is very well done. It's very much like the serials of the day as far as plot lines. Special effects are well done for a TV series of the mid-50's. According to Wikipedia this series was the first one to use automatic doors. The story arc I'm currently watching introduces a “cold light” device to hide the ship from view - what "Star Trek" would later call a cloaking device.
Old 01-06-11, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

With my wife out for most of the day, I took a break from House and popped in disc 1 of the Star Trek Fan Collective - Borg compilation. The first part of "The Best of Both Worlds" holds up very well. The second half feels more rushed and contrived, though it still has its moments.
Old 01-06-11, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Next year this is one challenge that should definitely have theme days. Before this year I'd only participated in the horror challenge and that's a niche genre so there's a clear focus on either cheese or terror. Since TV shows are so widespread optional theme days night help unify discussion.

I've been slowly making my way through Star Trek: The Next Generation and The Simpons; next I'm on for Matlock (the most under-rated show of all time).
Old 01-07-11, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Working my way through Mad Men season 2 and decided to look up the thread for "The Jet Set." Of course those words are too short to search for so I had to search for "Draper."
Old 01-07-11, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Next year this is one challenge that should definitely have theme days. Before this year I'd only participated in the horror challenge and that's a niche genre so there's a clear focus on either cheese or terror. Since TV shows are so widespread optional theme days night help unify discussion.
The problem with theme days is the same problem with a checklist: they make it all but impossible for viewers to really delve into a show. Would you be content having to squeeze in all of your Next Generation viewing to a single day? Is an episode or two sufficient, or would you rather be free to gorge on an entire season, or even the whole series? This is the nature of episodic television.

I suppose we could try a scaled-back weekly theme, which would allow for at least sufficient time for most participants to watch a season of their choosing. We might do "sitcom week," or "procedural crime drama week," that kind of thing. Which begs the question, now that we're on Day 7 of this challenge, if we had gone with a weekly theme, how do you think it would have affected your viewing thus far?

Would you have preferred to have some thematic structure to the challenge? Could you have watched enough of a given series or genre to have been satisfied with moving onto another one next week? Outside of this hypothetical, how many of you have been concentrating on specific series and would find a theme or checklist bothersome? Do you have any ideas, now that we're a week into this, how a theme or checklist might work best for you?

You don't have to have an answer to all these questions, but any feedback is always helpful. I also realize it may be too soon for a lot of you to have feedback, and that's okay.
Old 01-07-11, 01:46 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I've tried to start watching "Primeval" and "Louie". Didn't care for either and just stopped. Blazing through some "How I Met Your Mother" though! I'm gonna be sad when the 5th slap is over.
Old 01-07-11, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I really like about how this challenge is set up, is that I can take a break from a chosen show.

I'm currently into a season of Dallas but I find myself taking breaks every few episodes, just to break up the drama. In turn, I'll put in The Simpsons or Arrested Development. With theme weeks, I don't think that would be possible.
Old 01-07-11, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
The problem with theme days is the same problem with a checklist: they make it all but impossible for viewers to really delve into a show. Would you be content having to squeeze in all of your Next Generation viewing to a single day? Is an episode or two sufficient, or would you rather be free to gorge on an entire season, or even the whole series? This is the nature of episodic television.

I suppose we could try a scaled-back weekly theme, which would allow for at least sufficient time for most participants to watch a season of their choosing. We might do "sitcom week," or "procedural crime drama week," that kind of thing. Which begs the question, now that we're on Day 7 of this challenge, if we had gone with a weekly theme, how do you think it would have affected your viewing thus far?

Would you have preferred to have some thematic structure to the challenge? Could you have watched enough of a given series or genre to have been satisfied with moving onto another one next week?
For me, it would not affect it at all. I'd ignore any theme day/week of which I have little or no interest. Of course I also ignore general "theme days/weeks" in other challenges as well for the reason mentioned. And no, it would not necessarily bother me to move onto a different one in a day/week. I rarely watch a full season in a week, preferring to stretch it out with 2-3 hour programs and 3-4 1/2 hour programs in the mix at all times for variety. I'll often times watch a full disk of a program to avoid being slowed down by all the mandatory and frequently unskippable "crap" (FBI/Interpol/Interview disclaimers - I'm talking about YOU) but once that disk is done I'll put in something different.

Outside of this hypothetical, how many of you have been concentrating on specific series and would find a theme or checklist bothersome? Do you have any ideas, now that we're a week into this, how a theme or checklist might work best for you?
I like the idea of a checklist even *if* I were concentrating on a single series, which I'm not at this point. Even if I were concentrating on a single series I'd take a break between seasons with something different. Either a completely different genre or a different program. It's how I tend to watch anyway and I'd not change much just for this challenge as this one is a "natural" for me since 75% of my viewing is TVonDVD. A checklist would help me choose something to break up the pattern a bit.

I typically use the checklists to discover "unknowns" in my collection (i.e. - didn't know actor x starred, didn't worry about or particularly notice the location/time/season). Occasionally I'll use a checklist to discover something "new" but only if it fits my tastes in general. For example, I do not care for most crime/police shows and if that were on the checklist I'd either look for something I own that would qualify, just ignore that item, or use a wildcard.

I'm still looking at "stealing" your checklist from earlier and using it. Right now I'm concentrating on getting through that massive Sci-Fi TV set and when it's completed I'll probably try a few of your checklist items to see how I truly feel about one.

You don't have to have an answer to all these questions, but any feedback is always helpful. I also realize it may be too soon for a lot of you to have feedback, and that's okay.
Hope any of that helps!
Old 01-07-11, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well... I did it... stuck a "test checklist" in my listing.

On the subject of "test checklist" items I'm looking for suggestions for character actors. I've found this page and the wikipedia page which are great starts. Do you know good candidates not listed on either?

Also, does anyone know of movie stars who made multiple guest appearances on different programs. That is, they appeared on multiple shows, not necessarily multiple times on a single show.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 01-07-11 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-07-11, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I don't really like themes [although I can see the point behind Horror and Holiday theme challenges]. Usually when I start watching a TV series, if it's any good, I watch it a season at a time. The most diversity I have is a half hour program in the small dvd player, and in the changer, an hour long show, a half hour comedy show, a half hour cartoon, a half hour other, and a show to watch with my boy.

Plus I just don't like some types of show. I bought DVDs because I either like the content or thought I would, and that's what i want to watch. I don't care enough about checking off a checklist to watch shows I don't like, and definitely not to purchase them to fill in the blanks.

I could see some interest in a checklist at a high enough level, but I almost think the checklist would be more illfitting in a TV challenge than a movie challenge.
Old 01-07-11, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

The problem with theme days is the same problem with a checklist: they make it all but impossible for viewers to really delve into a show...

I suppose we could try a scaled-back weekly theme, which would allow for at least sufficient time for most participants to watch a season of their choosing. We might do "sitcom week," or "procedural crime drama week," that kind of thing....

Would you have preferred to have some thematic structure to the challenge? Could you have watched enough of a given series or genre to have been satisfied with moving onto another one next week? Outside of this hypothetical, how many of you have been concentrating on specific series and would find a theme or checklist bothersome? Do you have any ideas, now that we're a week into this, how a theme or checklist might work best for you?.
I don't think a theme is worth setting up mid-challenge, just a thought for next year.

From there I'm with Bob O'Links that if there was a theme it would be optional so people could skip over if they wanted. I like MiniLShaw's idea of having maybe a general 7 day theme to keep things a little more coherent.

I agree that having the freedom to watch what you want is good but often the point of the challenges is to encourage us to watch what we might not have normally ("I can finally catch up on Madmen"). Personally I'm not concentrating on a specific series so varying things would make little difference.

I am not sure I favor a checklist, just a theme encouragement; I've never been a favor of checklists.
Old 01-08-11, 12:20 AM

Would you have preferred to have some thematic structure to the challenge? Could you have watched enough of a given series or genre to have been satisfied with moving onto another one next week? Outside of this hypothetical, how many of you have been concentrating on specific series and would find a theme or checklist bothersome? Do you have any ideas, now that we're a week into this, how a theme or checklist might work best for you?
First, I think you're more likely to get some legit feedback during the challenge than after because this thread will slide into obscurity and we'll be on to the Academy Award Challenge.

I'm torn about checklists for the challenges, in general. I honestly feel like it is both a hindrance and a place for inspiration, I feel obligated to work on them, except for the overly-daunting Horror Challenge Checklist, but they also help me explore things I wouldn't normally explore.

I think that this challenge doesn't really have a place for a checklist for the same reasons that you have mentioned. I'm using this challenge as a venue to watch seasons of shows that I own. Looking at most lists it seems as though many are wading through unwatched/revisit piles rather than watching a random episode of the Office.

People are already placing their own goals in the lists thread and I think that serves the purpose well enough for a challenge with this type of content.

Most of the checklists we have are rather long and I think a checklist here would just be a listing of genres and, if I'm remembering correctly, there has been frustration with genres in other checklists, not to mention the bickering it causes (e.g. - "is that drama, comedy, horror, suspense?").

If it we had a checklist for this challenge, I would likely ignore it altogether and just keep working my way through those seasons that I want to watch.

On a totally different note, I think it's funny that this challenge will probably land as my greatest participation, but I've got Mad Men (almost finished), three seasons of Dexter, and, if time permits, I'm going to start from scratch on Entourage, with Season 1, and then move through the 4 seasons that I haven't yet seen.
Old 01-08-11, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I like the idea of concentrating on a single show at a time though I can't say I'd be adverse to the idea of a checklist. Once the challenge is finished we can all discuss what works and what doesn't.

As far as shows are concerned, I was happy to see that Alien Nation holds up quite well after all these years. I probably won't get to The X-Files as I forgot the Oscar Challenge is going to overlap. Decisions, decisions.
Old 01-08-11, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I finished all 23 episodes of "Rocky Jones Space Ranger" on the set. This was good/fun enough that I'd like to see the entire run (I'm not sure that's currently possible). I'm suprised I never saw this as a kid as there was a station in my area that would run some of the older (pre 1960) "kiddie" type TV programs.

If you're a fan of the serials from the 30's/40's and early kid-friendly sci-fi TV programs you should watch a few episodes.
Old 01-08-11, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We just finished Disc Four of House, M.D. Season Five. It's been a somewhat uneven season; at times it felt like the show was just kind of going through the motions. Maybe it's because the emphasis was on smaller story arcs instead of season-dominating ideas this year. Disc Four has two of the standout episodes, though. "Locked In," in which Mos Def plays a patient who is immobilized and incapable of communication, so he is mistaken for being just this side of dead, is compelling TV. The next episode, "Simple Explanation," features the suicide of a principle cast member and shows the rest of the characters dealing with it, while also handling a married couple, both of whom appear to be knocking on death's door.
Old 01-08-11, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Trivia Questions, Round Two

Same rules as before: You must respond with correct answers to all three questions to be eligible for the random drawing. Previous prize winners are ineligible. I will accept responses until midnight Sunday (9 January), and draw for the winner on Monday (10 January). This time, you're trying to win:

Steven Spielberg Presents Amazing Stories - The Complete First Season

1. Which television series featured the first on-screen lesbian kiss?

2. Who was Family Feud's original announcer?

And, tying into the prize...

3. Which Pixar director wrote and directed an episode of Amazing Stories?
Old 01-09-11, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I have a question for other participants, and this is in no way meant to be inflammatory. Granted this is a challenge so that can provide some motivator, but in the List thread, there are multiple people who watch half or a whole entire TV season in a day, or eight episodes of an hour long show, etc. And admittedly we started out with a holiday weekend, which is a great time to just relax and keep hitting Play.
But other than that, how are you people doing this? Are you watching in FF? Do you watch on your lunch break at work, or during a commute? Are you sick abed or taking vacation time [or unemployed]? I admit I'm a little limited to what I can watch when my boy is awake [no Tales from the Crypt for him], and I really don't like stopping an episode midway through, so that handicaps me, but still. I know other folks are in similar situations, and I'm just wondering how you find time to watch these episodes. I'm usually knock out one or two 1/2 hour episodes at night in bed, but much more than that is a struggle.
And for those who watch 2,4,6, or more episodes of the same program in a day, do you find that that detracts or enhances your enjoyment of the program? Some shows I could watch that many, but most I need to take a break from after a couple episodes [even if that break is just one day].
Old 01-09-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had a Crohn's flare begin a few days ago and had to go to an urgent care center for treatment yesterday. In fact, I left right after posting the trivia questions! Anyway, we got back around 7-ish and settled in with the last disc of House, M.D. Season Five. It's weird, looking back on that season and seeing how one smaller arc gave way to the next along the way but never really felt to me like a solid season. There were at least three great episodes, though, and most of the rest were average-to-good.

I was fairly disappointed in the bonus content, though. Out of 24 episodes, only one has a commentary track (the only feature I've not played yet). There are five small featurettes; one is on Disc Three, commemorating the 100th episode and the balance are on Disc Five. One is about the writing staff's efforts to be accurate and realistic that was somewhat engaging, but it felt like I'd already heard these remarks in bonus content from previous season DVD releases of the show. A second is built around Lisa Edelstein discussing Cuddy's storyline for the season, which I thought fit the definition of "fluff piece." The other two were decent; one is about the creation of one of the teaser sequences that was pretty thorough and interesting and the other is a rare bonus feature spotlighting the casting directors for the show. It wasn't particularly revolutionary, but it's an aspect of production that rarely gets attention outside of the industry itself.

On the whole, I'd give the season four stars (generously bumped on account of the strength of a few select episodes) and the DVD release two. I might have awarded a third star if there'd been at least one other commentary track, or the existing bonus content had been more engaging.

A final note: We scored this at Target on sale for a scant $14.99, which made my wife very, very happy. Their stupid clear security box, however, created divots so deep that it took me literally five minutes to finagle the slipcover off of the rest of the package. I will henceforth only buy something from Target that's in one of these cases when I'm saving $30+ to do so.
Old 01-09-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dtcarson
I have a question for other participants, and this is in no way meant to be inflammatory. Granted this is a challenge so that can provide some motivator, but in the List thread, there are multiple people who watch half or a whole entire TV season in a day, or eight episodes of an hour long show, etc. And admittedly we started out with a holiday weekend, which is a great time to just relax and keep hitting Play.
But other than that, how are you people doing this? Are you watching in FF? Do you watch on your lunch break at work, or during a commute? Are you sick abed or taking vacation time [or unemployed]? I admit I'm a little limited to what I can watch when my boy is awake [no Tales from the Crypt for him], and I really don't like stopping an episode midway through, so that handicaps me, but still. I know other folks are in similar situations, and I'm just wondering how you find time to watch these episodes. I'm usually knock out one or two 1/2 hour episodes at night in bed, but much more than that is a struggle.
Don't forget that an hour-long episode is generally ~45 minutes on DVD. Those eight hour-long episodes are therefore only taking six hours instead of eight to watch. It seems excessive, I'm sure, but you figure that the average TV viewer tunes in for three prime time hours (8-11). If you substitute programming of your own choosing in those three hours alone, you can knock out four hour-long episodes on DVD. I'm sure it's a lot easier for those without kids in the home, but that's true of all the DVD Talk challenges.

As for people's employment status, I'm not comfortable asking anyone to account for that. Some DVD Talkers regularly remark that their job affords them the chance to watch stuff on the clock, and others have lamented how depressing it is to find a job. No need to potentially remind someone they're out of work or disabled or whatever the case may be.

And for those who watch 2,4,6, or more episodes of the same program in a day, do you find that that detracts or enhances your enjoyment of the program? Some shows I could watch that many, but most I need to take a break from after a couple episodes [even if that break is just one day].
I personally favor that kind of gorging; to me, that's the greatest appeal of TV on DVD. (That, and the absence of on-screen graphics and commercials.) It's especially helpful for getting into--and staying into--a show with an ongoing story arc. A show like Lost, I would think, really shines in a marathon viewing session. Less so something formulaic like Just Shoot Me, though that's not say it's not still fun to flake out for a few hours at a time with a show like that.

That said, I had to insist to my wife that once we finished House, M.D. Season Five late last night, that we move onto a season or volume of something else before continuing with Season Six. I think if Season Five had been a little stronger, I might have been more eager for more House, but it was quite sufficient for me for the time being. Then again, I watch it for the dark humor; she watches it because she's spent a decade-plus in the medical field and enjoys thinking along with the episodes. It resonates a lot more with her than it does with me.
Old 01-09-11, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I can't speak for others but I'm a teacher and classes don't start until tomorrow. My goal was to get as much done before Monday as possible since I'll be down to about 3 episodes per day after that. I don't like to stop midway through an episode either so if I don't think I'll finish it, I won't start it.

As for marathon watching, I think it depends on the program. I find that watching shows with a season-long story arc back-to-back-to-back enhances my enjoyment. It's easier to keep up with plot points when you watch a bunch at a time (which is why I burned through Fringe so quickly). If the episodes don't really have a connection, the binge watching can get tedious. It helps me to alternate between two shows if that's the case.
Old 01-09-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I am medically retired from the Army so don't have a job, but I still keep busy, that is why I cant sit down and watch an entire season in one day.
Old 01-09-11, 03:42 PM

Teacher here as well and it surprises me how many shows I can watch at one time. I hit the 'play all' button when I put in the disk and am amazed that it finishes so quickly. It also helps that I am under the weather and have been using this time to rest and can't do much but watch tv and sleep! Normal workdays, I probably couldn't get in as many as I have this week, but I'm enjoying being able to do it now.
Old 01-09-11, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally favor that kind of gorging; to me, that's the greatest appeal of TV on DVD. (That, and the absence of on-screen graphics and commercials.) It's especially helpful for getting into--and staying into--a show with an ongoing story arc. A show like Lost, I would think, really shines in a marathon viewing session. Less so something formulaic like Just Shoot Me, though that's not say it's not still fun to flake out for a few hours at a time with a show like that.
I do get tired of watching the same sitcoms back-to-back for long periods. I haven't really watched anything with an arc yet. In the past, I could sit for hours at shows with really good arcs (like Buffy). Most of the shows on DVD have been things I've been wanting to watch and have just put off. Lost In Space started out sloooowwwwwww and got a little better in S1 (though I've only watched 4 eps.). Alfred Hitchcock Presents was surprisingly good given that this is 55 years old. I was still a little surprised in many of the eps. and Alfred Hitchcock's intros are beyond funny at times. Haven't laughed that hard at most of the sitcoms I've watched.

BTW I sent a PM to MinLShaw for the Amazing Stories entry. Is that how you enter?
Old 01-09-11, 05:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I usually get home from work by 4 every day, so that leaves me several hours a day to take care of life stuff and read a little, then sit down and do the couch potato thing. Being single and child-free leaves me more free time to do these TV binges, as well.

I'm also one that enjoys long marathons of shows. I've found myself enjoying some seasons much more that way than I did when they originally aired, with all the scheduling interruptions to sit through. Arc-heavy shows especially benefit from the home video format. Alias, Lost, Buffy, BSG. All perfect for DVD marathons.

This month, I'm trying to finish up several seasons of TV. I tend to watch a couple of seasons each month, anyway, but as this is a challenge, I'm trying to get in 6, including 3 short ones.
Old 01-09-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's been brought to my attention that there was a problem with some PMs earlier. I've looked through my inbox and here is my list of respondents. If you're not on this list, you'll want to make sure to PM me to be eligible for the Amazing Stories box.

1. shadokitty*
2. dtcarson
3. KaBluie
3. Jeffy Pop
4. HyperWeather
5. terrycloth
6. That'sAllFolks
7. Fist of Doom
8. tarfrimmer

*There's a problem with one of your answers. I'm fairly generous by nature, so I'm telling you so you can correct it.

Drawing will be some time tomorrow.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.