Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Trevor
I was excited for that and planning to watch it at 10, but just saw the trailer and it didn't sell me at all. Think I'll just stick to the theme now.
I'm tuning in for The Walking Dead based entirely on the recommendation from a friend who's been reading the comic book it's based on. He's not big on the horror/zombie genre, so for it to win him over suggests there's something there.
Old 10-31-10, 09:05 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I'm tuning in for The Walking Dead based entirely on the recommendation from a friend who's been reading the comic book it's based on. He's not big on the horror/zombie genre, so for it to win him over suggests there's something there.
Oh, the comic book is fantastic. But the trailer is boring imo. I'm watching it for now, my theme streak is broken.
Old 10-31-10, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Finished off the challenge with Hammer's Revenge of Frankenstein at 56. Another great year of horror movie watching for the month of October. Sorry to see it go, but it will be back soon enough next year. Thanks again for the challenge it's been a lot of fun every year that it's been running.
Old 10-31-10, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm watching it for now, my theme streak is broken.
I kinda wished I could stay with only the themes each day, but I just did at least one for each day, and worked on the checklists at the same time.

So now I'm watching The Midnight Hour, which really is one of my fav Halloween movies.

Incidentally, The Midnight Hour, and Night of the Creeps were filmed on the same back lot (the town square) at WB Studios that Gilmore Girls was filmed (and Gremlins, Dukes of Hazard, a bunch of other stuff).

I bring this up because when I went to WB Studios and toured the back lot, we spent a lot of time touring the square as Gilmore Girls was the only show set up and shooting on the lots at that time. It's cool to see the places I walked around in many of my favorite films.
Old 10-31-10, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Capping it off at 142 this year, 11 above my goal.
Happy Halloween, all, and see you next year!
Old 10-31-10, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Capping it off at 142 this year, 11 above my goal.
Happy Halloween, all, and see you next year!
What? You're going to ignore us all for the next 11 months?

I just had more of your Booberry btw.
Old 10-31-10, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

This month has been a real blast; I appreciate everyone for the discussion and Chad for slapping together the challenge.

I'm trying to figure out what viewings to wind down this year with... I just finishing up Return of the Living Dead after Rosemary's Baby. I think I'm going in for personal favorites Brainscan and Lifeforce (but will probably randomly change my mind due to unwatched pile overload).

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Photoshop something later and just convince the kid you went trick-or-treating. No one remembers jack from being two...
Nice! That's almost as bad as me lying about half my list this year. As an aside I ended up taking the spawn trick r' treating but pickings were sparse, one or two houses per block. I suspect all my neighbors are shut in cramming horror movies for this challenge (but after 125 horror movies I've come to question my own grasp of reality).

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-31-10 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-31-10, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How are people counting commentaries on films you've already seen, but are new to the commentary?

For example, I've seen Evil Dead many times, but watched it with commentary for the first time this year. Should I count that as a first watch?
Old 10-31-10, 10:07 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell from my tired eyes right now that I'm not going to make it all the way to dawn. Maybe just a few more, but I have about 15 films that take place on Halloween and am having trouble deciding which ones to watch.
You know you want to stay up watching horror till dawn, then be the first one at Barnes and Noble in the morning for the fresh stock of Criterion's.
Old 10-31-10, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

179 total for me.... My ocd is kinda kicking in that I should've made it to 180, but eh... it's 11:20, so there's no way I can fit another flick in before midnight.

Going to sleep through November now.
Old 10-31-10, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I have no idea how you guys manage to watch so many films.

Between work, 3 College Classes, friends and spending time with my girlfriend, I'm surprised at my total this year.

97% of it was giving up sleep, so I was averaging 3-5 hours of sleep a night (minus weekends).
Old 10-31-10, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
How are people counting commentaries on films you've already seen, but are new to the commentary?

For example, I've seen Evil Dead many times, but watched it with commentary for the first time this year. Should I count that as a first watch?
I'm marking it as a first time viewing (listening).
Originally Posted by bse
You know you want to stay up watching horror till dawn, then be the first one at Barnes and Noble in the morning for the fresh stock of Criterion's.
Curse you for that reminder! That's tomorrow? I still haven't organized from the last sale, lots of unopened B&N bags all over the condo, been too busy in Challenge-mania since then.

And actually, leaving the house for lunch today my car barely started. Last oil change they told me my original battery was almost gone and I didn't believe them, should have listened I guess. So I might not be going anywhere tomorrow.
Old 10-31-10, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts

It's only 8:21pm out here, but it looks like the Trick or Treatin' has flat-out ended. I guess this will allow me to check out my last most-wanted movies without interruption, but at the same time, I'm saddened to not feed the lil' kiddies I feel guilty for not handing out more of those fat Reese's Pieces I got earlier. Instead I gave out a whole bunch of nasty lil' Hershey bars.

And that was a great idea to play Shock Festival's Disc 2 (Horror trailers) while the kids were coming. There were a few trailers that I actually had on constant-repeat just because they sounded so good: The House By The Cemetary, Grizzly & Don't Look in the Basement. Some great background effects there!
Old 10-31-10, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ThePhantomGoat
179 total for me.... My ocd is kinda kicking in that I should've made it to 180, but eh... it's 11:20, so there's no way I can fit another flick in before midnight.

Going to sleep through November now.
Whatever you do, don't fall asleep (yet)! You have 'till dawn.. Get to 180! You can do it.
Old 10-31-10, 10:29 PM

;)

Originally Posted by ThePhantomGoat
But you have till dawn!

Come on, you can squeeze in a short one.

Edit to add/merge: Doh! DL beat me to it.
Originally Posted by asianxcore
I have no idea how you guys manage to watch so many films.

Between work, 3 College Classes, friends and spending time with my girlfriend, I'm surprised at my total this year.

97% of it was giving up sleep, so I was averaging 3-5 hours of sleep a night (minus weekends).
I freed up my schedule by talking a third of the month off work, telling my family "see you next month", and breaking things off with your girlfriend.
Old 10-31-10, 10:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I did such a bad job this year! Didn't even average 1 film a day! Ugh! Stupid full time job!
Old 10-31-10, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I freed up my schedule by talking a third of the month off work, telling my family "see you next month", and breaking things off with your girlfriend.
Whoa, you were dating asianxcore's girlfriend? What kind of board is this?
Old 10-31-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I was planning on just ending it with The Walking Dead (which I think is off to a solid start) but I feel like I can manage to squeeze in another before I totally crash...
Old 10-31-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished my list. My thanks to all who enjoyed the videos.
Old 10-31-10, 11:17 PM

And with (Rec), I'm done for this year. Thanks to Chad for running things. I just made my goal of 50 films, and all first-time-viewings this year. Highlights: Death Bed, The Devil's Bride, Night of the Creeps, House. Lowlights: Day of the Dead 2, Assault of the Sasquatch

Also, thanks to TCM for a great line-up this year, and to IFC for showing Dead Set, which rocked.

I still have a few leftovers in my queue and on my DVR to finish up. Then it's anything not horror for a bit.
Old 10-31-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

I'm finishing up a 30-minute TV episode to complete a TV entry right now. That could be it, but I'm debating whether to stay up to watch Halloween. That would be a great way to end the challenge; however, it's the first day at a new job tomorrow. Not sure if I should stay up that late ...

Still, even if I don't stay up for Halloween, 121 is the highest total I've ever had. It has been a very difficult month, but I've been really happy to have this challenge as an escape during that time. I know I haven't been nearly as active in discussion as the past couple of years, largely because of the trying times, but I have kept up with the discussion thread and really enjoyed hearing about everyone's viewing. I'm hoping next year I'll be able to be in a better position to be more active again. It has still been fun, though! Thanks to all the participants for the lively discussion and for keeping things civil this year. Now I still need to finish finalizing my list. That will be a lot of work, too.
Old 10-31-10, 11:35 PM

Finishing up with #63, Trilogy of Terror. I set my goal for 70 but hoped to finally crack 100 but alas, it was not to be. Oh well, I had a whole lot of fun with the challenge and will be back to fall short of my goals again next year.

Best new finds this year: Dead Snow, Frozen, Suck, and City of the Living Dead. I always thought I had seen City of the Living Dead but I had the wrong movie in mind.

Only two movies I watched and didn't really enjoy were ZMD: Zombies of Mass Destruction & The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue. I didn't hate them, but didn't really have a great time watching them either. My enjoyment of The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue was possibly hurt by me stupidly watching it after Rocky Horror.

Congrats to those who cracked 100 & thanks to those running the challenge. It was smooth as silk this year and thankfully without the usual snipping over the lists.
Old 10-31-10, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Whoa, you were dating asianxcore's girlfriend? What kind of board is this?
It's one of the premium member perks.
Originally Posted by SethDLH
I was planning on just ending it with The Walking Dead (which I think is off to a solid start)
Really? I found nothing at all even slightly original until maybe the last minute or so. Everyone seems to be raving about it, and I wanted to like it, but I thought it was boring and very derivative. Very disappointed.
Originally Posted by chuckd21
Finished my list. My thanks to all who enjoyed the videos.
Old 10-31-10, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm finishing up with Halloween: H20. I haven't watched it in years and figured why the hell not at this point? haha
Old 10-31-10, 11:52 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Although I got side tracked by the Criterion sale going live, I'm back to Halloween 5.

Looking at everyone's lists, I'm ashamed of my laziness, next year I have to put more effort into my list.

Speaking of next year, I'm going to be boxing up a bunch of horror dvd's that I didn't get to (mostly cheap $3 titles) that I'm pretty sure will stay in the closest until next years challenge.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.