Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Anyone ever seen this one?

Old 10-13-10, 09:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Chad
The main attraction is without a doubt Kelly Preston's two topless scenes.
Don't think I've ever seen Kelly's prestons. May have to stream that one later.
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
My rule of thumb is: was I led to believe it would fit the theme of the challenge in the first place, and did I spend the time to watch it? For instance, I watched Circus of Fear because it was one of six movies collected in a two-disc compilation labeled as "Price/Lee Horror Collection." It's really just a whodunnit, and I'd be very hesitant to say there's much in the way of Horror to be found. But, I was led to believe it would fit the theme and I spent the time to watch it, so it went on my list.
That's pretty much how I feel. As long as I was led to believe that it was horror, and it's close, I'll count it.
Originally Posted by Dimension X
and a box of Choc-o-Lantern Pop-Tarts.
Those are great out of the freezer.
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Incidentally, for those who want to view the series in its complete sequence, here it is:

02/14/31 Dracula Dracula: The Legacy Collection
03/11/31 Dracula (Spanish Version) Dracula: The Legacy Collection
01/21/31 Frankenstein Frankenstein: The Legacy Collection
04/22/35 Bride of Frankenstein Frankenstein: The Legacy Collection
05/13/35 WereWolf of London The Wolf Man: The Legacy Collection*
05/11/36 Dracula’s Daughter Dracula: The Legacy Collection
01/13/39 Son of Frankenstein Frankenstein: The Legacy Collection
12/12/41 The Wolf Man The Wolf Man: The Legacy Collection
03/13/42 Ghost of Frankenstein Frankenstein: The Legacy Collection
03/05/43 Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man The Wolf Man: The Legacy Collection
11/05/43 Son of Dracula Dracula: The Legacy Collection
12/01/44 House of Frankenstein Frankenstein: The Legacy Collection
12/07/45 House of Dracula Dracula: The Legacy Collection
05/17/46 She-Wolf of London The Wolf Man: The Legacy Collection*

*Not part of the series proper, but are included in the collections.
Curse you. Now I'll never be able to watch them box by box again.
Originally Posted by ParadiseVendors
Picked up Death Proof where I fell asleep last night. That car chase sequence is up there in my favorite movie sequences of all time, and I like it more every time I watch it.
Really? The car chase scene was meh to me. Loved the first half of the film though.
Originally Posted by brainee
No way! That was one of the awesome things about Lepus. That, for some scenes, they'd get regular bunnies and have them hop (in slo-mo) through a miniature set. The slo-mo, the "stampede" sound effects, and the scary music are what make these scenes so terrifying As if bunnies weren't scary enough!
Ok, you guys have me convinced to finally seek out this "classic".
Originally Posted by Numes
Also viewed Session 9 on Sunday. That was a pretty interesting flick. Anything involving an insane asylum automatically puts me in a tense frame of mind. I will be looking forward to watching this one again in a couple years.
Been near the top of my watch pile for years. Insane asylums freak me out.
Originally Posted by Numes
Ok. I've had this link up on one of my Firefox tabs for a few days now and I don't know if I got it from this thread or just randomly. If someone else posted this already, my credit back to them (as well as my apologies for my laziness not checking.) If not, this is a quite interesting article called 20 Things you didn't know about The Exorcist. Some of it is fluff, but my favorite was the original teaser trailer that got pulled. Awesome.
Good stuff. Still the scariest film I've ever seen.
Originally Posted by clckworang
I was already planning on counting it, but I'll ask anyway. Anyone see a problem using a wildcard for attending a play or just as a regular entry? Evil Dead: The Musical is going to be at one of the nearby universities. I'm already planning to go with some friends. Should be fun!
I'm jealous. Will have to check to see where it's touring. I'd say count it.
Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Serial Killers are usually golden. I'd count it.
Yep.
Originally Posted by cardsfan111
It's truly horror when a spammer clutters up our challenge threads. Your post has been reported and we eagerly await your death scene.

Originally Posted by chuckd21

No, but searching now. Love David Niven.
Old 10-13-10, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I'm trying to watch films I haven't seen before, and both yesterday and today I started a movie only to realize a couple of minutes in that I had watched it during a previous Challenge.

I see that one of the films I borrowed from my brother to watch this week, War Wolves (2009), is listed as just Sci-Fi on IMDb, and allmovie doesn't categorize it at all. Will it upset anyone if I count it on my list? It's about werewolves.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Those are great out of the freezer.
I usually eat Pop-Tarts right out of the box, but I'll give that a try.
Old 10-13-10, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I just finished Freddy Vs Jason and really want to love the film but there's just something off about it. Although there needs to be a sequel asap. My thoughts (spoilered for length but spoiler free):
Spoiler:
The visuals are gold with the best cinematography of either series. You can't beat the scene with Jason on fire in a cornfield chasing victims. Once things get started it's great to see the titans fight. There are some great references to the prior films.

One of my pet peeves is that the script beats you over the head idiot proofing the plot by having each character narrate/explain events repeatedly so dialog and plot progression don't seem natural but force-fed. Director Ronnie Yu excels at action scenes and the arterial sprays are really nice but the film needs more tension (maybe a few chase sequences, toying with characters). Replace Kane Hodder, really?!? The ending was a bit of a let down for me too.

This film begs the question, can fire fueled by everclear be extinguished with beer?
Old 10-13-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I just finished Freddy Vs Jason and really want to love the film but there's just something off about it. The visuals are gold with the best cinematography of either series. You can't beat the scene with Jason on fire in a cornfield chasing victims. Once things get started it's great to see the titans fight. There are some great references to the prior films.

One of my pet peeves is that the script beats you over the head idiot proofing the plot by having each character narrate/explain events repeatedly so dialog and plot progression don't seem natural but force-fed. Director Ronnie Yu excels at action scenes and the arterial sprays are really nice but the film needs more tension (maybe a few chase sequences, toying with characters). Replace Kane Hodder, really?!?

This film begs the question, can fire fueled by everclear be extinguished with beer?
Isn't domestic beer really watered down anyway?
Old 10-13-10, 11:17 AM

I'm trying to watch films I haven't seen before, and both yesterday and today I started a movie only to realize a couple of minutes in that I had watched it during a previous Challenge.
Same problem here. I've bookmarked my last few horror challenge lists and am checking them before watching a questionable title. A couple quick clicks and F3 searches refreshes my memory.
I see that one of the films I borrowed from my brother to watch this week, War Wolves (2009), is listed as just Sci-Fi on IMDb, and allmovie doesn't categorize it at all. Will it upset anyone if I count it on my list? It's about werewolves.
I'd count it. Let us know if it's any good. Think I have it here somewhere. And it would satisfy the John Saxon check.
I usually eat Pop-Tarts right out of the box, but I'll give that a try.
All the chocolate based ones are good cold. Even advertise that on the boxes now.
(spoilered for length but spoiler free)
Two tiny paragraphs are length? Does our world have that short an attention span now? (says the man with the shortest attention span on the planet)
Old 10-13-10, 11:32 AM

Two tiny paragraphs are length? Does our world have that short an attention span now? (says the man with the shortest attention span on the planet)
Well mainly to keep my film based rant to those who wanted to discuss that film. ...wait, what were we talking about again?
Old 10-13-10, 11:33 AM

Hellraiser III out of print, why? (profanity)
Old 10-13-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just checked out the original Wizard of Gore for the first time and though it was pretty good, but not great. It had nice gore (as it should with that title) but the story dragged a bit. Still enjoyable though. Though not even on the same planet of Suspiria as the movie Juno would like you to think
Old 10-13-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
Isn't domestic beer really watered down anyway?
It doesn't have enough alcohol to burn, thats for sure.
Old 10-13-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

By the way I just tallied up the scores I've give all movies I've watched so far and the average score is 5.77/10... I need to watch some better stuff over the next 18 days.
Old 10-13-10, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I just checked out the original Wizard of Gore for the first time and though it was pretty good, but not great. It had nice gore (as it should with that title) but the story dragged a bit. Still enjoyable though. Though not even on the same planet of Suspiria as the movie Juno would like you to think
I always thought it was odd/annoying that Diablo Cody would write that into her script. They are two completely different directors with two completely different styles. Name dropping? (Which makes sense for that film I guess)

I was about to say the R2/UK version is still in print, but looking on Amazon UK, looks like it's OOP too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hellraiser-3...6988519&sr=8-1

Weird

Last edited by asianxcore; 10-13-10 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-13-10, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jmsmath
Just finished up with The Strangers (2008) and WOW, what a movie!!! Starts out a little slow, but the intensity kicks in around the 20 minute mark and never lets up. Very creepy and disturbing due to the fact it's based on a true story. Of course, everyone knows what that means, so I'm going to have to do a little research after the challenge to find out more details on this case.
Unfortunately, "Inspired by a True Story" leaves a whole lot of wiggle room. But the stuff that that movie is inspired by is pretty nuts.
Old 10-13-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I was thought it was odd/annoying that Diablo Cody would write that into her script. They are two completely different directors with two completely different styles. Name dropping? (Which makes sense for that film I guess)
Couldn't agree more.
Old 10-13-10, 12:10 PM

What do you think needs to happen for there to be a direct sequel to Jason X?
Old 10-13-10, 12:25 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Just passed my goal of 31 today, and I've already done better than in the past two years!

I'm trying to do my best to watch things I haven't seen before, and just started on the Nightmare on Elm Street sequels. Also, just checked out Behind the Mask, which was a lot of fun.
Old 10-13-10, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

People look at me like I'm crazy when I say my favorite F13 is part 2 or 6... they get part 2... they don't get part 6. I love it.
Part 6 is very underrated. Could of used a couple of boobs though.

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
It's truly horror when a spammer clutters up our challenge threads. Your post has been reported and we eagerly await your death scene.
Damn. I take a brief hiatus and miss all the action. But kudos to the moderators for taking such swift action.

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Just finished One Dark Night, another great 80s flick that I hadn't heard of. For a PG rated film it delivers the jolts.
Why does everyone keep recommending films that are unavailable at Netflix?! That tally is approaching 25 now.

I seem to pull that boner every single year. This year's example is The Food of the Gods, which was viewed as recently as last year's challenge.

I just finished Freddy Vs Jason and really want to love the film but there's just something off about it. Although there needs to be a sequel asap.
The sequel is long overdue. But I wouldn't catch it unless Robert Englund reprises his role, which seems very unlikely at this point. I'll never accept the 5 foot 2 Haley as Freddy.
Old 10-13-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21

Saw it when it was released. Nothing really memorable, but not a total waste of time either.

BTW, anyone know whose name is "whited out" on the poster image?
Old 10-13-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Strangely enough, I have seen all the Hellraiser movies except this one. I passed it over again and again because it was R (was there even an unrated version?).
Old 10-13-10, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Strangely enough, I have seen all the Hellraiser movies except this one. I passed it over again and again because it was R (was there even an unrated version?).
How do you, or anyone else, do this? I can never watch a part 2 without seeing part 1. I just physically can't make myself sit and watch it. The few examples in my life where I've done it, do to family/friend circumstances or whatever factor that was out of my control, I was uncomfortable the whole film.
Old 10-13-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

How do you, or anyone else, do this? I can never watch a part 2 without seeing part 1. I just physically can't make myself sit and watch it. The few examples in my life where I've done it, do to family/friend circumstances or whatever factor that was out of my control, I was uncomfortable the whole film.
2 was on sale (VHS), then I liked it and saw 1. After that I saw 4 on TV and purchased 5 or 6 on DVD. This series is interesting but I have never been to compelled to complete it (at least it's not very high on my list). I would totally buy a box set if that ever happened though. Assuming it wasn't the R-Rated versions.
Old 10-13-10, 01:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen

Yes there was an unrated version. It runs 97 minutes and was released on VHS and laserdisc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hellraiser-III-3...item27b58b1fa7

I do have the Paramount dvd and it is not the R rated version! It actually is some sort of hybrid cut that contains all the uncut gore, and the uncut sex scene, but also has two awful soundtrack alterations and runs 93 minutes. The audio quality is awful as well as it shows up at only 96 kbps on my player,so it's not even 192 kbps like usual for most Dolby 2.0 mixes on dvd. It sounds pretty lifeless overall with no oomph to the mix. That I can't watch this dvd at all and may sell it sometime.

I also own the R rated VHS that runs 91 minutes and the unrated laserdisc. The laserdisc contains a couple extra characterization moments and I think the 97 minute unrated cut is the best version of the film. The sound quality on the VHS and laserdisc are far better than the Paramount dvd as well.

Also a little note for those interested. It appears HBO airs the unrated version despite claiming to be R rated before the showing. I don't know if it's the 97 minute or 93 minute version. But I did catch one scene from the film that is heavily cut in the R version and was surprised to see the gory scene intact. HBO usually airs the rated versions of films from what I've seen, but sometimes they slip up and air an unrated version despite claiming it's R rated.
Old 10-13-10, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Last night I popped in the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead and absolutely loved it. It might be my favorite first time viewing for this challenge. It was pitch perfect, from the clever cinematography to the soundtrack. All the characters are recognizable people, too; I quickly related them to my own friends and family because I just know that in a zombie-infested world, I'd wind up with those people. And some of them are people you just know you're eventually going to have to kill for one reason or another.

Then my wife got home and we followed that with Creep Show. It was alright as an aggregate; the first two segments were pretty weak. I loved "Tide You Over" with Leslie Nielsen and Ted Danson. I know the movie was meant to be amusing, but I found this part genuinely disturbing.
Old 10-13-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Just finished the last movie in the Frankenstein Legacy Collection and now it is time to begin on Friday the 13th. Interesting timing too, that I am starting the series on the 13th.
Old 10-13-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Juno says a lot of things. Most of it are things I make in the toilet from time to time. Some might say there's a kernel of truth to what's said in Juno and a different sort in my "creations".

The commentary for Wizard of Gore wasn't bad.

Originally Posted by exharrison
Unfortunately, "Inspired by a True Story" leaves a whole lot of wiggle room. But the stuff that that movie is inspired by is pretty nuts.
Dude! What Happened To My Car? is "Based on a True Story". I now know that those phrases mean absolutely nothing.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 10-13-10 at 02:23 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.