Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 02:26 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I just checked out the original Wizard of Gore for the first time and though it was pretty good, but not great. It had nice gore (as it should with that title) but the story dragged a bit. Still enjoyable though. Though not even on the same planet of Suspiria as the movie Juno would like you to think
I just received Wizard of Gore and the Blood Trilogy (Blood Feast, 2000 Maniacs, and Color me Blood Red) today from Amazon, I'm going to marathon them later this week. I've had the Wizard of Gore remake here for well over a year, still sealed, might watch that also.
Old 10-13-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Just finished the last movie in the Frankenstein Legacy Collection...
Did you watch the short film, "Boo!"?
Old 10-13-10, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
Saw it when it was released. Nothing really memorable, but not a total waste of time either.

BTW, anyone know whose name is "whited out" on the poster image?
Other poster images show that the whited-out area has the MPAA rating placed there.

I saw it when it was released as well. It is one of the few times that I ever left the theater before the film it was over--I saw most of it, and what I did see was the most boring and unfunny film that I had ever tried to endure.
Old 10-13-10, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Same problem here. I've bookmarked my last few horror challenge lists and am checking them before watching a questionable title. A couple quick clicks and F3 searches refreshes my memory.
I have my old lists at hand, but I didn't think those films were "questionable." They didn't seem familiar until I actually started watching them.

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'd count it. Let us know if it's any good. Think I have it here somewhere. And it would satisfy the John Saxon check.
I'll probably watch it tomorrow, but I doubt I'll remember to post anything in this thread. Check my list and read my short description. If I hate it I'll say so. If I don't mention the quality (or lack thereof), it should be worth a look. I figure with John Saxon and Tim Thomerson it should be okay for one viewing at least.
Old 10-13-10, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Part 6 is very underrated. Could of used a couple of boobs though.
I think I read somewhere that Part 6 is one of the most heavily cut/censored films of the F13 series. It definitely shows in the final result. Then again I thought I maybe heard of this in the His Name Was Jason Documentary, where the Director said the final cut was not his cut of the film.
Old 10-13-10, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Ha, I picked up Wizard of Gore because of Juno too!
Old 10-13-10, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Last night I popped in the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead and absolutely loved it. It might be my favorite first time viewing for this challenge. It was pitch perfect, from the clever cinematography to the soundtrack. All the characters are recognizable people, too; I quickly related them to my own friends and family because I just know that in a zombie-infested world, I'd wind up with those people. And some of them are people you just know you're eventually going to have to kill for one reason or another.

Then my wife got home and we followed that with Creep Show. It was alright as an aggregate; the first two segments were pretty weak. I loved "Tide You Over" with Leslie Nielsen and Ted Danson. I know the movie was meant to be amusing, but I found this part genuinely disturbing.
As a kid, I remember being very disturbed by the ending of that segment as well. Then again, the cockroach one really gave me the willies, too. I have a couple of friends who refuse to watch that segment.

As for watching a movie over again, I did that once this challenge. I checked to see if it was watched in a previous challenge but couldn't find anything. Then about 20-25 minutes into the movie, I realized I had seen it and it wasn't very good. By that point, I figured I might as well stick through to the end.

As for Wizard of Gore, I really liked the first one for what it was: just another bad, gory Herschell Gordon Lewis flick. I do enjoy seeing his films. As for the remake? I didn't really care for it at all, although I thought the casting of Crispin Glover was pretty inspired. I would have rather seen the Herschell Gordon Lewis movie with Crispin Glover in the lead. Now that would have been entertaining.
Old 10-13-10, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Just finished up 1964's THE GORGON from Hammer. I saw at least one other person with the film on their list on the same page in the list thread as I'm on that had the same feelings of the movie. Not bad, but no real explanation and crappy effects for the Gorgon itself. Still I find myself thinking its better than mediocre, just not great.
Old 10-13-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Juno says a lot of things. Most of it are things I make in the toilet from time to time. Some might say there's a kernel of truth to what's said in Juno and a different sort in my "creations"
Old 10-13-10, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Did you watch the short film, "Boo!"?
No, didn't watch that, but I suppose I could use a wild card for that couldn't I?
Old 10-13-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
No, didn't watch that, but I suppose I could use a wild card for that couldn't I?
Yep. Or combine it with other shorts to total an entry
Old 10-13-10, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Just finished up 1964's THE GORGON from Hammer. I saw at least one other person with the film on their list on the same page in the list thread as I'm on that had the same feelings of the movie. Not bad, but no real explanation and crappy effects for the Gorgon itself. Still I find myself thinking its better than mediocre, just not great.
The Gorgon was nothing like I expected it to be... sort of a slow mystery with barely any Gorgon. Mediocre is a great word for it. Even for a film about a creature with snakes for hair the story is way of out left field (which isn't always a bad thing but is so in this case). I think this is my least favorite Hammer movie so far but still worth seeing. It almost comedically includes all the Hammer hallmarks around a weak story.
Old 10-13-10, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is it going to be a problem for me to watch Count Dracula and His Vampire Bride without having seen any of the preceding Hammer Draculas? I ask because it's the only one I own, and it's the last feature on my Price/Lee Horror Collection 2-disc set I haven't watched.
Old 10-13-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Is it going to be a problem for me to watch Count Dracula and His Vampire Bride without having seen any of the preceding Hammer Draculas? I ask because it's the only one I own, and it's the last feature on my Price/Lee Horror Collection 2-disc set I haven't watched.
Not at all. For one thing each movie stands alone, so you won't need to have watched any of the preceding films to understand the story, and you won't have any points of comparison to the superior earlier films that would emphasize the glaring defects of Count Dracula and His Vampire Bride.
Old 10-13-10, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gobear
Not at all. For one thing each movie stands alone, so you won't need to have watched any of the preceding films to understand the story, and you won't have any points of comparison to the superior earlier films that would emphasize the glaring defects of Count Dracula and His Vampire Bride.
I suspected as much. I'm really just wanting to watch it at this point so I can finish off my "Price/Lee Horror Collection" 2-disc set. We watched House on Haunted Hill for the '09 Horror Challenge, and the other four films so far for this year's. It's the only thing left and it'll feel good to finish off that collection.
Old 10-13-10, 05:07 PM

You wouldn't believe how awesome Friday the 13th VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan is when watched immediately after Jason Goes to Hell, practically fine art.
Old 10-13-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
You wouldn't believe how awesome Friday the 13th VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan is when watched immediately after Jason Goes to Hell, practically fine art.
Comments like that really don't make me want to pickup the marathon I started with my wife years ago. That's where we need to start on.

Last Saturday I started Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde. It's somewhat lame but my wife got into it and wanted to finish so she could see who would end up winning. It was nice since she doesn't normally get into horror movies and is terrified of ghost movies, especially her Japanese ghost movies.

I forced her into the Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th marathons but then it gets to a point where you're so far into the series, you might as well just finish them to see what happens. She didn't know there was anymore after the last movie in the box set, so she figured she was done. I just hadn't bought the next movie until I found it cheap at Wal-Mart.
Old 10-13-10, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
So of course my Netflix DVD of The Blob 1988 is cracked.
I haven't had to deal with a fully-cracked Netflix disc for any of these horror challenges yet. But I've already had a few tiny dents that causes me to skip a chapter. This last happened with Mark of the Devil:
Spoiler:
I never got to see how Albino died

But today, the victim was Baron Blood. The damage occured between the scenes where Ava first takes Joseph Cotton to the castle and the gathering at the doctor's office. But thanks to Peter's recap, It was mentioned that BB attacked Ava. But did BB kill anyone else in between? I need this for my bodycount.

While we're on Baron Blood, one of the little co-stars is an all-too familiar face that we're accustomed to seeing in early/mid 70's Italian Horror:

Did she ever get to team up with Bob in a movie? We're talkin' Clash of the Titans here!
Originally Posted by Chad
BTW, today's viewings were kind of a "Before They Were Stars" show. In Candyman-Farewell to the Flesh, I got to see Bill Condon's big-screen directorial debut (And as of this moment, this movie holds the record for most excessive use of "Cheap scares" that I've encountered in this marathon so far) Followed by Hugh Grant early in his career thanks to Lair of the White Worm, the 2nd Ken Russel film in a row that I've seen & liked!
Old 10-13-10, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Comments like that really don't make me want to pickup the marathon I started with my wife years ago. That's where we need to start on.
If you can get past the bump in the road that is Jason Goes to Hell then Jason X is paydirt (one of my guilty pleasures). Jason Goes to Hell isn't entirely without redemption, it's just inconsistent with the series and filled with early 90s attempts to be cool (some successful).

I'm working on the theory that Jason Goes to Hell was actually a discarded Halloween (Michael Meyers) script.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-13-10 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-13-10, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
If you can get past the bump in the road that is Jason Goes to Hell then Jason X is paydirt (one of my guilty pleasures). Jason Goes to Hell isn't entirely without redemption, it's just inconsistent with the series and filled with early 90s attempts to be cool (some successful).

I'm working on the theory that Jason Goes to Hell was actually a discarded Halloween (Michael Meyers) script.
I don't mind X but FvJ just went off in it's own direction. I don't care for it but it's not as bad as JGtH.
Old 10-13-10, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pardon the detour:

I just wanted to take a moment to share some thoughts I’ve been having lately (and I really don’t want to work on my OHMC list at the moment, seeing as I fell behind a couple days, so here’s my excuse not to…). Some of the films I’ve been revisiting (not necessarily watching) lately (The Craft; I Know What You Did Last Summer; Scream; Relic; Event Horizon; Thinner; and more titles of an even lower caliber), are all movies that I have a personal connection to.

During that time in horror movies I was the Head Projectionist/Assistant Manager for Regal Cinemas in Myrtle Beach, SC. The films I named above (plus other cool stuff like the SW re-releases/ID4) are ones that I personally spliced together reel by reel. I had such joy looking at the 35mm frames and speculating just what may be going on at that moment in the movie. The smell of the film, the feel of the platters, the clanking and heat of the projectors, and the soaking of oils that layered the air, was all a part of a hidden world that I was immersed in. And of course it was always a joy to bring my wife in at midnight to screen the prints for quality control, syncing, cues, etc, before the premier the following day. And there’s nothing like watching a movie when you have the WHOLE theatre to yourself (popcorn popper and all).

And now, though I reminisce fondly, I find it sad that with the advancement of technology, there’s no need for that troll in the top balcony of your theatre. Everything has become so automated, that (at least with Regal) there isn’t even a projectionist anymore, much less one to be in charge.

So this challenge has really hit me in a personal way, which I wasn’t expecting. This may not be the place to post my trip down memory lane, but it is horror related, and I just wanted to share a little bit and hopefully remind everyone that, as always, things just aren’t like they used to be. (or as the great Cusack once said: “You can never go home again.”)

Thanks for letting me go off-topic a bit.
Old 10-13-10, 07:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Nice story Dick, and very appropriate for the thread imo.

It gave me the nice memory of a girl I dated years ago. She was an assistant manager at a Regal and we once had a private midnight screening.
Old 10-13-10, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I agree with Trevor. Very appropriate. Kind of puts things in perspective.
Old 10-13-10, 08:07 PM

Wow Dick... that's a great reflection, it kind of makes me sad.
Old 10-13-10, 08:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
BTW, today's viewings were kind of a "Before They Were Stars" show. Followed by Hugh Grant early in his career thanks to Lair of the White Worm, the 2nd Ken Russel film in a row that I've seen & liked!
Cool, I'll have to look for that one. Saw my first Russell film earlier this month, Gothic, and need to see more.

Watching the end of Night of the Lepus now. Wow. Actually a halfway decent movie if you can get past the basic plot. But I can't. Killer rabbits? Really? What were Janet Leigh and Deforest Kelly thinking? Hopefully just paycheck movies for them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.