Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

why doesn't Godzilla vs Megalon have a proper dvd release?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-10, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sony released son of godzilla, godzilla vs the sea monster, vs mechagodzilla, vs hedorah, vs gigan all in widescreen with the english audio track as well as the Japanese audio track with subtitles. Why wasn't Godzilla vs Megalon apart of this? Yes the movie isn't so great but you would think it would of been released as well to cash in on Godzilla fans. It appeared on the sci-fi channel back in 2003 in a widescreen version. I highly doubt they would play anything like this on there these days. I think it was a rarity even back then.
Old 07-27-10, 09:16 PM

Re: why doesn't Godzilla vs Megalon have a proper dvd release?

The budget DVD sells quite well on Ebay. I've sold a few in the $20-30 range. The movies isn't that good but I'm happy with it until it gets a proper release.
Old 07-27-10, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pseudo
The budget DVD sells quite well on Ebay. I've sold a few in the $20-30 range. The movies isn't that good but I'm happy with it until it gets a proper release.
you mean the alpha video one? I'd be happy to get rid of mine for that price.

I just did a search on there and only an Australian disc and one that looks like a bootleg appear.
Old 07-27-10, 10:14 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

Just watched the MST3K version. It rocked!
Old 07-29-10, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know. It needs one. I've got it in OAR, but it's not an official release. I'm hoping that the new Godzilla pic Legendary is working on spurs some studios to get moving on new (Blu) Big G releases.
Old 07-29-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd love to have an official version. Would fill in one of the holes in my Godzilla collection anyway.

Surprised people are down on it as a movie....I last saw it as a kid 15 years ago on VHS so I may have a nostalgic haze over my eyes but I remember it being damn cool. I guess it used a lot of stock footage or whatever but...c'mon...Jet Jaguar!
Old 07-29-10, 02:56 PM

I think the monster fights in it are well above average for a Godzilla film, and the human story isn't too bad either, so I'm not sure why it gets slammed so often as one of or the weakest of the series. But I will admit that nostalgia and vivid memories of seeing it in the theater may explain my love for it.

Here's the wiki section on criticism of it:
Critical reception
Godzilla vs. Megalon was released theatrically in America on May 9, 1976, though the San Francisco Chronicle indicates that it opened there in June, and The New York Times indicates that it opened in New York City on July 11. New York Times film critic Vincent Canby, who a decade before had given a negative review to Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster, gave Godzilla vs. Megalon a generally positive review. In his review on July 12, 1976, Canby said, "Godzilla vs. Megalon completes the canonization of Godzilla...It's been a remarkable transformation of character - the dragon has become St. George...It's wildly preposterous, imaginative and funny (often intentionally). It demonstrates the rewards of friendship, between humans as well as monsters, and it is gentle."

Legacy
Godzilla vs. Megalon has attracted the ire of many Godzilla fans in the decades since its original release. The film contributed to the reputation of Godzilla films in the United States as cheap children's entertainment that should not be taken seriously.[4][5] It's been described as "incredibly, undeniably, mind-numbingly bad"[6] and one of the "poorer moments" in the history of kaiju films.[5]

In particular, the special effects of the film have been heavily criticized. One review described the Godzilla costume as appearing to be "crossed with Kermit the Frog"[5] and another sneeringly compared it to Godzilla vs. Gigan, stating that it did "everything wrong that Gigan did, and then some." However, most of the criticism is of the lack of actual special effects work, as most of it consists of stock footage from previous films, including Godzilla vs. Gigan and Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster, and a few pieces of effects work has garnered praise, specifically a scene where Megalon breaks through a dam and the draining of the lake.[4]

The other aspects of the film have been similarly skewered. The acting is usually described as flat and generally poor, and as not improving, or sometimes, worsening, the already weak script.[4] One part of the film, on the other hand, has garnered almost universal praise: Godzilla's final attack on Megalon, a flying kick. It has been called the saving grace of the film[6], and was made famous by the mock exclamations of shock and awe displayed on Godzilla vs. Megalon's appearance on Mystery Science Theater 3000 (Through the end of season three to the middle of season five, that clip would be shown at the opening of each show). Despite all this, the film is also one of the most widely seen Godzilla films in the United States — it was popular in its initial theatrical release, largely due to an aggressive marketing campaign, including elaborate posters of the two title monsters battling atop New York City's World Trade Center towers, presumably to capitalize on the hype surrounding the Dino De Laurentiis remake of King Kong, which used a similar image for its own poster.[4]

Despite the criticism that the film has taken over the years, Godzilla fans consider the film a cult classic and at times enjoy the film despite its cheesiness. Jet Jaguar himself has a cult following placing him among the ranks of fellow kyodai heroes, such as Ultraman and Zone Fighter, with fans demanding for his return to the Godzilla series, if not, a stand alone spin-off.
Old 07-29-10, 03:08 PM

There are more than a few Godzilla films that don't have a proper DVD release and since the many films are owned by multiple companies in the United States, don't expect one either.
Old 07-29-10, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by kenichi tanaka
There are more than a few Godzilla films that don't have a proper DVD release and since the many films are owned by multiple companies in the United States, don't expect one either.
Yeah, I got tired of waiting for the 4 or so films that have no region 1 release to speak of, and ordered them from another region/possible boot. I'd love to rebuy them all in Classic Media editions someday.

But in the meantime, at least I have them all on disc; over halfway through a marathon of all of them right now.
Old 07-29-10, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was only three at my last count out of 28:

Godzilla vs. Megalon
Godzilla vs. Biollante
Godzilla 1985

I can't say I was "expecting" a DVD copy of these anytime soon but I don't see why a company couldn't license them properly if they thought they could make some ching on them? Is there like an ongoing legal beef over the rights or something?

I would hope either Classic or Sony would pick them up some day.
Old 07-29-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yeah, I got tired of waiting for the 4 or so films that have no region 1 release to speak of, and ordered them from another region/possible boot. I'd love to rebuy them all in Classic Media editions someday.
That would be my preference over Sony for sure. Classic did a wonderful job with the ones they licensed.
Old 07-29-10, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Was only three at my last count out of 28:

Godzilla vs. Megalon
Godzilla vs. Biollante
Godzilla 1985
Yep, that's the list. Although a couple of the other releases are in full-screen only, a couple are English dub versions only iirc, and a couple are older releases a bit difficult to find, at least in stores.
That would be my preference over Sony for sure. Classic did a wonderful job with the ones they licensed.
They really did. There are 7 of them right? And all 7 have both Japanese and English versions, OAR, at least one commentary by film historians/Godzilla "experts", and at least one featurette.
Old 07-29-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

G VS. MEGALON was the only Godzilla film I saw in a theater in its initial release. It was on a double bill with Sonny Chiba's THE KILLING MACHINE. I remember the crowd loving it. But back then, a lot of the audience went to films like this in a somewhat "medicated" state.

I saw it on VHS a few years ago and it didn't hold up at all. The human characters were really annoying. And so was Megalon. Not a terribly interesting opponent.
Old 07-29-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, that's the list. Although a couple of the other releases are in full-screen only, a couple are English dub versions only iirc, and a couple are older releases a bit difficult to find, at least in stores.
They really did. There are 7 of them right? And all 7 have both Japanese and English versions, OAR, at least one commentary by film historians/Godzilla "experts", and at least one featurette.
Hadn't thought about some of them being only English dubs (which doesn't matter to me, though I know it does to many) or full screen (which does matter to me). Good point.

Classics stuff is top notch...there are indeed seven of them and they can be found damn cheap in that Godzilla box set most of the time--pretty sure I paid sub $40 for mine. The packaging alone blew me away.
Old 07-30-10, 11:41 AM

Actually, you guys are forgetting Godzilla 2000 (which doesn't have the original Japanese audio) as well as those Sony double features which didn't have widescreen presentation but rather full frame.

Godzilla and Mothra: Battle for Earth
Godzilla vs Destroyah
Godzilla vs Space Godzilla

and I cannot remember the fourth one ...
Old 07-30-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, you guys are forgetting Godzilla 2000 (which doesn't have the original Japanese audio) as well as those Sony double features which didn't have widescreen presentation but rather full frame.

Godzilla and Mothra: Battle for Earth
Godzilla vs Destroyah
Godzilla vs Space Godzilla

and I cannot remember the fourth one ...
Trevor did mention that problem. It's a good point from both of you but frankly I want the ones that aren't released period before the ones in "lesser" versions. (Though I would like widescreens, I could not care less about the dubs)

(Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah is the other df with Godzilla and Mothra)
Old 07-30-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Madman Entertainment from Australia has a good release in anamorphic widescreen with Japanese & English soundtracks and English subs. If you are region free, it is the way to go. They also have good editions of Godzilla vs Mothra: Battle for Earth, Godzilla vs Destroyah, Godzilla vs Space Godzilla and Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters.

I have all the Godzilla films. My Biollante and Godzilla 1985 are crappy non-anamorphic and are questionable Chinese releases. The rest are from Classis Media, Sony and Madman.

Last edited by Subgeniusguy; 07-30-10 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-30-10, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got anamorphic versions of Biollante and 1985. Just sayin'...
Old 07-30-10, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy
As a lifelong fan, I've still not done that.....looks like I have a long (fun) weekend ahead of me. Thanks for the idea!
Wow, let us know if you are successful. 29 in one weekend would be an all-time record for me. I've been watching them over the course of the month for the Sci-Fi Challenge, and may not finish. Watching all the alternate versions and commentaries too, so it's about 50 total for me, but I still have 10 or 11 to go and only 40 or so hours before the Challenge ends.
Classics stuff is top notch...there are indeed seven of them and they can be found damn cheap in that Godzilla box set most of the time--pretty sure I paid sub $40 for mine. The packaging alone blew me away.
Just making sure, but there is nothing exclusive to that box is there? The last disc was for a few months, but it's out now. But except for the outer box itself, nothing is exclusive to it I hope. No booklet or insert or bonus disc, right?
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Same here. I bought them in an auction, knew they were probably questionable, but these things are probably straight copies of Japanese releases. I hope to be able to rebuy legit versions someday, found both very entertaining, although I guess I'm easy when it comes to Godzilla.
Old 07-30-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just making sure, but [B]there is nothing exclusive to that box [B]is there? The last disc was for a few months, but it's out now. But except for the outer box itself, nothing is exclusive to it I hope. No booklet or insert or bonus disc, right?
I believe that is correct. Only thing you get extra is the cool outer box.

At one time the set was the only way to get two of the movies (I think) but they have since been released as singles.
Old 07-30-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
LOL, I'm not worthy. Actually, now that I look my Biollante is anamorphic. They are both Chinese releases from Universe Laser. Would upgrade them both if available. Are your editions readily available from any online resources? Feel free to send me a message via DVDTalk if you like.

Last edited by Subgeniusguy; 07-30-10 at 11:06 PM.