DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Renting/Buying

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 07:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Renting/Buying

Originally Posted by Steve
I cancelled cable long ago..Still some far less money per month buying DVDs than I ever would getting cable.
I'm the opposite, I just subscribed to satellite (cable unavailable where I live) after a decade without it. Ever since I feel that my movie watching has decreased dramatically, except for a couple HBO/Showtime flicks here and there. I have just under 2000 DVDs (still about 100 in my unwatched pile) right now, and feel as if they don't get utilized as much.

I don't pay more than $5 for a single movie, and try to get TV shows for under $15 whenever I can. My local rental establishment closed down last year, so now if I want to rent I have to travel an extra 10 miles to the next closest rental outlet. There is a Redbox which is good for those new titles I want to see but don't want to buy, but I rarely ever use it (and I don't think many people around here do). Rural mail delivery is very slow so I wouldn't waste my money on Netflix or Blockbuster Online.

Not many options here and I doubt I could ever sell anything, as I would most likely wind up re-buying it at an higher price.
Old 07-03-10, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dvdaddict32
But after a year of Netflix, I realize that I've spent well over $100 bucks, and I have nothing to show for it. I could have taken that same $100 bucks and bought several dvds. It's all a matter of perception, I suppose.
You're correct, but the exact same thing could be said about seeing films at the theater, unless you're recording them, or cable/satellite, unless you're using a DVR and saving the content. Your argument only addresses ownership.

Like others have mentioned, I've replaced cable with Netflix, various streaming sites and occasionally Redbox. Television broadcasting is no interest to me. So I'm saving $30/month by using the 2disc rotation plan at Netflix.

These days I've cut purchasing way down and bargain hunt more than ever. Renting obviously works well within that parameter so I can weed out all the undesirables. For those that I can't rent I buy used or for the best price I can find when I get around to it. There is always so much to watch I rarely have an immediate need to buy anything any more, especially on release day.

But with all this said, I still enjoy having a decent sized collection (~1300) to revisit any time that I want. So it's always a constant battle between maintaining a collection of titles that I really need versus those that I don't.
Old 07-03-10, 01:27 PM
Banned

I haven't rented anything since '95. In the last 15 years or so, since they stopped carrying VHS (I'm a bit obsessed with VHS), most video rental stores just don't carry anything worth watching. Just about everything they have is the substandard, direct to video quality crap that makes your skin crawl. There's nothing interesting anymore. I buy dvds and blu-rays all the time, but it's hardly ever anything new. The last few I've gotten are Carrie, Child's Play, The Lost Boys, and Filmation's Ghostbusters. The last new thing that I bought that was recent was The Invention Of Lying.