Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Old 04-15-13, 01:46 AM
  #276  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,113
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Trevor, if you got the funds you can rent a getaway apartment and store all your stuff there.

As I said before, i went with slim CD jewel cases and have been very, very happy with that decision. It's hard at first throwing out the cases but it gets easier the more you do it and actually feels liberating. DVD cases are space hogs.

I've done the binder thing and it really does compress the collection. Still, binders are hard on DVDs, especially flippers which can get scratched up. If you go with binders make sure that a DVD fits comfortably in the sleeve as they are thicker than CDs. I quickly gave up on binders and tried and permanently switched to slim CD jewel cases.

I would probably do a mix. Look through your collections and all the "lesser" titles should immediately go into binders or given away if you prefer. Keep the primo titles in their original cases.

Your marriage is more important then a DVD case or 10,000 of them.
Pizza is offline  
Old 04-15-13, 11:38 AM
  #277  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 43
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Trevor, if you got the funds you can rent a getaway apartment and store all your stuff there.

As I said before, i went with slim CD jewel cases and have been very, very happy with that decision. It's hard at first throwing out the cases but it gets easier the more you do it and actually feels liberating. DVD cases are space hogs.

I've done the binder thing and it really does compress the collection. Still, binders are hard on DVDs, especially flippers which can get scratched up. If you go with binders make sure that a DVD fits comfortably in the sleeve as they are thicker than CDs. I quickly gave up on binders and tried and permanently switched to slim CD jewel cases.

I would probably do a mix. Look through your collections and all the "lesser" titles should immediately go into binders or given away if you prefer. Keep the primo titles in their original cases.

Your marriage is more important then a DVD case or 10,000 of them.
The idea of using CD cases could not work with my OCD. I wouldn't have any problem trashing the cases but cutting up or trashing the original artwork would disturb me too much.

One question, how do you find anything specific? Do you keep a list of all the titles in your collection and what shelf they're on or are they alphabetized and you just flip through all of a particular letter until you find the title in question?

@bobert3: I guarantee I'll have pictures or a video of my collection in due time(in the process of replacing my camera).
Moviefan02 is offline  
Old 04-19-13, 11:49 AM
  #278  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,113
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Moviefan02 View Post
The idea of using CD cases could not work with my OCD. I wouldn't have any problem trashing the cases but cutting up or trashing the original artwork would disturb me too much.

One question, how do you find anything specific? Do you keep a list of all the titles in your collection and what shelf they're on or are they alphabetized and you just flip through all of a particular letter until you find the title in question?

@bobert3: I guarantee I'll have pictures or a video of my collection in due time(in the process of replacing my camera).
broken down in genres and alphabetized. I have no problems quickly finding a disc. Probably quicker than if they were still in their original cases.
Pizza is offline  
Old 07-05-13, 12:32 AM
  #279  
Emeritus Reviewer
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,893
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

I should have known when I had the shelves built in the game room that they wouldn't be enough (12' high, two deep on titles, across a very large wall) but I'm hoping for some tips by the more organized out there. Between mainstream and porn, I have a pretty sizable collection of movies. I'm still working on adding my CD's to my Collectorz database but I've managed to keep up with the movies after spending a lot of time.

I currently have all my titles on shelves in their cases. Using slim lines would help delay the problem but I want to keep my library as I watch a lot of movies and every once in awhile, having titles comes in handy (a recent lawsuit against John Stagliano regarding his Stretch Class series brought up questions of what he did or didn't do, having access to the movies dispelled the lies easily). I'm leaning toward putting the discs in those spindle cases that hold 100 discs and then placing the covers in binders. With the amount of space I have, I could consolidate all the movies to the shelves, maybe even get my CD's there, if not the games too.

At very least, going this way with the porn would save me tons of space, over 12k titles and the spindles are cheap when bought in bulk, I just haven't found any binders I really like to display the covers easily and will allow me to cheaply add new titles without rearranging things all the time. Beside the usual, get rid of stuff suggestions, have any of you other collectors had success with mass storage?
Houstondon is offline  
Old 07-05-13, 12:41 AM
  #280  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

A simple spreadsheet in chronological order listing everything I've ordered/bought.
My entire collection of 3000+ titles is within reach of where I am sitting right now in front of this computer without my having to get up or move my chair.
Nathanmann is offline  
Old 07-05-13, 05:19 AM
  #281  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 328
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Houstondon View Post
I currently have all my titles on shelves in their cases. Using slim lines would help delay the problem but I want to keep my library as I watch a lot of movies and every once in awhile, having titles comes in handy (a recent lawsuit against John Stagliano regarding his Stretch Class series brought up questions of what he did or didn't do, having access to the movies dispelled the lies easily). I'm leaning toward putting the discs in those spindle cases that hold 100 discs and then placing the covers in binders. With the amount of space I have, I could consolidate all the movies to the shelves, maybe even get my CD's there, if not the games too.
What is this "Stretch Class series" you mentioned ???
jimmaxmed is offline  
Old 07-05-13, 11:12 AM
  #282  
Emeritus Reviewer
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,893
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by jimmaxmed View Post
What is this "Stretch Class series" you mentioned ???
It's a series of adult movies where no sex takes place, the director just has the ladies do certain things to satisfy his fetish. Any more graphic than that, you'll have to DM or email me.
Houstondon is offline  
Old 07-05-13, 09:40 PM
  #283  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,290
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

It sounds like you want a more permanent solution, but what I have done and it's eased the pressure a lot, is buy keep cases that can hold 4 discs (and they have ones that can hold at least 10). I've combined a lot of my series and the one I like the most is the same width as a single keep case, so converting, I can get 4 movies in the space of 1. I kept fancy cases and what not, but overall, I had a lot of cheap movies that I enjoyed but didn't need to keep the case for it. Plus, the case I bought has a plastic cover on the outside, so I was able to keep the artwork there. I get them on Amazon and if you want me to, I can look which one I buy up for you, just let me know.
LJG765 is offline  
Old 07-06-13, 01:03 PM
  #284  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,883
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

I'm at 16k titles now and while I have a ton of shelves, I also use large capacity binders. I'm up to #32 now.
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi is offline  
Old 07-06-13, 02:03 PM
  #285  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
Thread Starter
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 33,795
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi View Post
I'm at 16k titles now and while I have a ton of shelves, I also use large capacity binders. I'm up to #32 now.
MP, what binders do you use? And what do you do with the disc art and inserts?
Trevor is offline  
Old 07-06-13, 05:52 PM
  #286  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,883
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

These are the binders I've been using lately and I've liked them. http://www.amazon.com/Targus-TDP007U...targus+dvd+256
The only issue I ever have with them is sometimes one of the middle pages will get caught in the zipper when I'm flipping through it.

My theater room's walls go up for a couple feet and then angle inward, which means there's some decent space between the shelves and the wall that I can store stuff like inserts and disc art, boxes of VHS movies, and boxes of old game systems and their games.

On one of the sides, I can scare my kids because at the other end of one of these tunnels, there's a 1 foot tall door in the wall with a little doorknob. We were going through some tapes this morning and my oldest was asking why there's a little door with a doorknob?

"It's so they can open and close the door", I replied.

True story is that the guy that built the house had a cat and his wife was slightly allergic to it, so he made some accommodations so it could go around the house and somewhat being able to avoid her. If you go through that doorway, you'll go through the walls and find the other doorway in the closet of the master bedroom on the second floor. From there, if you were that cat, you could then go into the master bathroom, through the pet door of the screen and then walk down a ramp that connected down to the fence in the backyard.
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi is offline  
Old 12-19-14, 02:03 PM
  #287  
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

I know this is a very late reply to this post, but i have to as Dick Laurent, where did you get your shelves. I have a growing collection that i would like to tame. I have looked everywhere and have not found the "right" shelving unit. Looking through these posts for ideas, I ran across yours and they are just what i am looking for. Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly apprecaited!
sdrobert is offline  
Old 08-20-16, 04:29 PM
  #288  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
Thread Starter
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 33,795
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

I'm doing something now that'll make a lot of us cringe, and would have made me cringe not that long ago. While I still shelve and "preserve the packaging" of a good chunk of my collection, the bulk of my DVDs and BDs are slowly migrating into binders.

My scary movies are going into these binders pictured below. To fit the sleeve art, they have to be folded, but folding in half won't work, as the sleeves are just wide enough for one side. Initially, I was folding in one or both sides trying to avoid affecting the art or words, then folding in half. But this process created three folds in the sleeve art. So now, I'm actually cutting them in half, but at a fold so it doesn't really affect the art. I'm not describing it well, but the pic below should show it.
Trevor is offline  
Old 08-20-16, 08:53 PM
  #289  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,247
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
My scary movies are going into these binders pictured below. To fit the sleeve art, they have to be folded, but folding in half won't work, as the sleeves are just wide enough for one side. Initially, I was folding in one or both sides trying to avoid affecting the art or words, then folding in half. But this process created three folds in the sleeve art. So now, I'm actually cutting them in half, but at a fold so it doesn't really affect the art. I'm not describing it well, but the pic below should show it.
Ack! I dunno how feasible it would be for you, but I'd be more inclined to get a small filing cabinet and store the case inserts flat in a folder. You could either make a scan or some other stand-in page for the binder.
Travis McClain is offline  
Old 08-20-16, 09:37 PM
  #290  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 38,260
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I'm in the process of "tossing" a little more than half my collection, mostly DVDs but also good deal of blu-rays. By whittling it down from over 2K of stuff I like to just under 1K of stuff I love, I feel it'll be a collection even more specific to me.

And by "tossing" I mean giving away to friends, selling what's sell-able, and giving the rest to the library/goodwill.
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post

I'm betting you'll regret it.
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Why?

I tend to forget about the stuff I get rid of.
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Because I've known several people who did similar things with their DVD and CD collections. They ended up buying back many of the things they let go. If you don't have the collector DNA in ya, then you'll be fine. Maybe.
Well, 4 years later, and I don't regret it at all - in fact, I've clean forgotten what I've tossed, mostly since I still held on to so much better stuff. Also, it made room for the shit I've bought in the last 4 years, which hasn't been a lot, but I might want to do further pruning some time in the next year or so.
slop101 is offline  
Old 08-20-16, 11:47 PM
  #291  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
Thread Starter
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 33,795
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Travis McClain View Post
Ack! I dunno how feasible it would be for you, but I'd be more inclined to get a small filing cabinet and store the case inserts flat in a folder. You could either make a scan or some other stand-in page for the binder.
No reason to not cut them up to make them fit. I'm never going to sell anything, much more likely to just throw all inserts and packaging away actually.

But mostly, I have to use these binders because I bought them, and need to consolidate/make space. I have enough of these type to fit about 1500 discs, so it should fit my horror collection with room for moderate future growth.
Trevor is offline  
Old 08-21-16, 10:05 AM
  #292  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 12,684
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

I tried the binders for a while but I couldn't stand not seeing my collection on the shelf. Unfortunately I did cut up a few of the artworks so I've got a handful still in the binder but I've put most of the rest back in cases.

One thing I will do is combine series into multi disc cases. If studios can do it, so can I.
milo bloom is offline  
Old 08-21-16, 12:10 PM
  #293  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Greg MacGuffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Formerly known as "Jeffy Pop"/Denver
Posts: 2,919
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

I invested in two cases from DiscScox, one for my Blus and one for my DVDs. I keep my box sets, TV series, and Criterions still on a shelf, but everything else goes in a sleeve and is then filed in the chest. I had a slight moment of hesitation at first, but felt a huge weight lift off of me literally after putting the first disc in a sleeve. My collection was growing and growing, despite my efforts to winnow it down, but DiscSox has solved a lot of my problems. Highly recommend them. Their stuff is pricey, but worth it, and it looks great and is easy to use.

http://mmdesign.com/cd-dvd-blu-ray-storage.php
Greg MacGuffin is offline  
Old 08-23-17, 10:01 AM
  #294  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
nando820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,109
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

This thread needs more pictures!!
nando820 is offline  
Old 08-23-17, 01:45 PM
  #295  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 485
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

First time I've heard of DiscScox and I'm definitely going to have to buy some. As I've been converting everything to Blu I was wondering what I was going to do with my 1000s of DVDs. It will certainly make moving much easier.

Edit: Wow Viper, that is a lot of Xbox games!
mallratcal is offline  
Old 12-16-18, 03:24 PM
  #296  
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 2
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

FYI first time ever seeking help through a forum such as this. I am trying to organize my collection, heck just trying to get my arms around it. All of your space suggestions are helpful. Tried Alpha order, but additions proved a problem.

I am deciding to go with a catalog numbering system, using Binders for the Artwork (just page protectors with Card Stock backing of the artwork opposite side for insert material), and Tyvek Sleeves for the discs in Storage Boxes (Sterilite 1962). (100 Discs about 11 inches). If you see a flaw in this process send suggestions.

I have about 1,000 titles.

What I need suggestions on is Software. Does anyone have a preference of DVD Profiler or Movie Organizer or All My Movies or something else?
I would like to use a UPC capture device and be able to download to Excel (pdf or WORD) basic info
Title, Director, Actors, Year release, and DVD Edition Release Year,

Any Suggestions. Thanks
Zucc is offline  
Old 12-18-18, 04:36 PM
  #297  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
coyoteblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,238
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Zucc View Post
FYI first time ever seeking help through a forum such as this. I am trying to organize my collection, heck just trying to get my arms around it. All of your space suggestions are helpful. Tried Alpha order, but additions proved a problem.

I am deciding to go with a catalog numbering system, using Binders for the Artwork (just page protectors with Card Stock backing of the artwork opposite side for insert material), and Tyvek Sleeves for the discs in Storage Boxes (Sterilite 1962). (100 Discs about 11 inches). If you see a flaw in this process send suggestions.

I have about 1,000 titles.

What I need suggestions on is Software. Does anyone have a preference of DVD Profiler or Movie Organizer or All My Movies or something else?
I would like to use a UPC capture device and be able to download to Excel (pdf or WORD) basic info
Title, Director, Actors, Year release, and DVD Edition Release Year,

Any Suggestions. Thanks

I use Dvd Profiler and libib.com. I use this handheld scanner from amazon. Works well and isn't too expensive:

Brainydeal Wired Handheld USB Automatic Laser Barcode Scanner Reader With USB Cable Brainydeal Wired Handheld USB Automatic Laser Barcode Scanner Reader With USB Cable

Mine worked right out of the box. I think Dvd Profiler will dump to a comma delimited file, but there are hoops to jump through to get it to work.
coyoteblue is offline  
Old 12-19-18, 12:54 PM
  #298  
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 2
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Thanks for the input!!! And the handheld suggestion.
Zucc is offline  
Old 12-19-18, 02:07 PM
  #299  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
b2net's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,899
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Collectorz is another option. They offer PC app, Phone app, and web app (each for a fee) and you can scan using you phone or tablet as well.
b2net is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.