Reload this Page >

"Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Old 08-24-12, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

So I'm in the middle of getting all my new stuff, and the floaters, on shelves. I'm down to the M's and then realize I have a small pile of about 6 movies that I forgot to pickup. 4 of them are letters I passed, so I work my way back. Why is it that there always seems to be some box set at the end of a row, which turns me trying to fit in 4 movies into moving half a shelf, row to row, because I just need to add one movie but there's a 6 disc box set at the end? I don't seem to recall being able to add something new and have a nice big empty space to put stuff into. It's always the other way around.
Old 08-24-12, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And in a cruel twist of fate, I get to the 'S' section and pull out a box set containing a movie that starts with 'A', that I put in the 'A' section. At one point, moving that one movie had me shifting 10 DVDs along the shelves and it finally stopped at 'H'.
Old 08-25-12, 11:27 AM

This is the least of my worries. Due to time constraints because of my job and other life commitments etc. My collection does not come close to the mass collections some people have here. With these time constraints I use a lot of discretion in my purchases, mainly trying to fit them into my schedule for viewing. As much as I admire the large collections folks have here, the beauty with my situation is that there is PLENTY of room for expansion. Great ideas in this thread to plan accordingly for the future as my collection continues to grow.
Old 08-25-12, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have finally put every DVD on a shelf, not including some box sets that will go on top somewhere. I still have some of the discs out from those Mill Creek 50 movie packs I need to return to their sets. My next task will be to catalog my new blu-ray purchases and hopefully fit those on shelves. Than I need to walk the shelves and figure out what titles made it to the shelves before getting cataloged. I know there's a bunch, especially the kid stuff. I also need to remove the titles I've sold off or currently trying to get rid of, from my database. Finally, I need to clean up my binders and start putting new stuff in the spaces of things I've gotten rid of.

That's the order I plan on doing things but the closer to the end, the less of a priority it is for me. Doing 30 binders of 200+ discs in each one is going to be a pain.

When all is said and done, I'm probably just under 15,000 movies.
Old 09-03-12, 12:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I'm not sure what happened, but I've actually been working on getting my stuff cleaned out and organized the last couple of weeks. I had two storage sites near my old place in Virginia, and after 8 months of not visiting them, I did some major work. I took a car load of stuff to the trash, two car loads to Goodwill, and a car load to our house. With that and some major Tetris skills, I was able to consolidate the two storage sites into one. That $90 a month in savings will go straight into my midlife crisis sportscar fund.

I've also been working on completely changing my DVD organization. Let me get some pics together, back in a few.
Old 09-03-12, 01:16 PM

When I moved in with Jen, I made the largest wall in our bedroom my DVD wall. I put up ten or so random ratty old bookcases, stacked and poorly organizing a good chunk of my collection. Here are a couple of pics that accidentally showed a bit of my hodgepodge wall of DVDs.

I decided that this display was too ragtag for Jen to have too see every day, and moved the bookcases out to other rooms, mainly my "junk room" for my books and graphic novels and CDs. For the bedroom and my DVDs, I decided to bite the bullet and buy some Elfa shelving during The Container Store's 25% off sale. I'm the least handy man in the world, and discovered halfway though that my bedroom is a bit crooked; so to keep the standards off the floor trim I have one shelf slightly skewed. But overall, I did about as well as I could hope. I now have ~14' of floor to ceiling shelving; ten rows.

Took a break to post this, but now I'll go fill that 140' with BDs and DVDs. I hope it will fit about half of my collection, "the good stuff", with the remaining bulk titles going into binders perhaps.
Old 09-03-12, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Took a break to post this, but now I'll go fill that 140' with BDs and DVDs. I hope it will fit about half of my collection, "the good stuff", with the remaining bulk titles going into binders perhaps.
If it isn't "good stuff" why keep it?
I consider all my stuff "good." Like I said before somewhere, best decision I made was dumping the DVD cases and switching to slimline CD cases. Solved so many of my problems. I tried the binder thing, it really compressed the space the DVDs take but was hard on flippers plus difficult to rotate titles around the way I like. I knew I had to either go with some kind of numbering system for filing or start all over. I started all over and been happy.

Cute cat by the way.
Old 09-03-12, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
If it isn't "good stuff" why keep it?
I consider all my stuff "good." Like I said before somewhere, best decision I made was dumping the DVD cases and switching to slimline CD cases. Solved so many of my problems. I tried the binder thing, it really compressed the space the DVDs take but was hard on flippers plus difficult to rotate titles around the way I like. I knew I had to either go with some kind of numbering system for filing or start all over. I started all over and been happy.

Cute cat by the way.
Yeah, I think everything I own is good too, but with ~10,000 films/seasons, I can't possibly display it all. My hope is that between this 13.5' of shelving and a few other bookcases, I can display most of my 'subset' collections (MST3K, Godzilla, Criterion, Peanuts, Adult Swim, horror, Muppets, blu-rays, Disney, etc). Then the normal DVDs that don't belong to any subset, 40 bankers boxes labeled A to Z, can be bindered or something.
Old 09-03-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm in the process of "tossing" a little more than half my collection, mostly DVDs but also good deal of blu-rays. By whittling it down from over 2K of stuff I like to just under 1K of stuff I love, I feel it'll be a collection even more specific to me.

And by "tossing" I mean giving away to friends, selling what's sell-able, and giving the rest to the library/goodwill.
Old 09-03-12, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Trevor-you make my fingers itch to help you organize! I love to rearrange stuff and make it look nice. I don't have enough space to do it a lot with mine but I love figuring out how to place things and in what order to do it in. I odd, I know. Then, of course, that only applies to my collections (books, movies, music...) not the rest of my life. That big wall of shelves makes me want one of my own. I don't have near what you do-around 1,000-so it'd be good enough to shelve all of mine, I think. Been looking around for cheap ways to build shelves, but I don't have any money right now to play with.
Old 09-04-12, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My collection is not quite as extensive as a few of you fellas here. I probably have close to 3,000.

My OCD way of organising my collection is by genre. All the mobster films together, then cops/police action, to prison flicks. Also have a section for war movies, sci-fi, rom-com, etc. You get the picture.

I have it all set up like that so I can select something I'm in the "mood" for. Plus (to me) it's kind of cool seeing all my movies blended together and how they are all set up in separate genres and "related" to one another.

I also have a few binders of burned discs (movies burned from video tapes I've bought for a $1 or less at thrift store). If that movie is a "related" in some way to another, I'll match them together by putting the burned disc in a paper sleeve and putting it inside with the other DVD that is on the shelf. One of example I can think of on the top of my head is Nicolas Cage - "Leaving Las Vegas" and his "Honeymoon in Vegas". Or "EDTV" and "The Truman Show". There's plenty of others I've matched up.

Or I've burned DVDs that are part of "sets" of movies too.

You get the point. I know that sounds odd, but I like it.

Last edited by mickey65; 09-04-12 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-04-12, 11:10 AM

For those with the larger collections, how can you find the time to watch all of them? Again, I've got 1300 DVD's and I feel like that's too much because I'll never watch them all. At one a day, if I were to try to watch everything, it would take me 4 years to go through everything. As of now, I've purged everything that I can't see myself watching again. And anything I do buy is going to be something that I truly loved. So no more blind purchases, or even just buying stuff that I merely "like" on the cheap. So my collection ends up being truly good movies.

No disrespect intended or anything, but how can you manage this for collections of 3k-10k?
Old 09-04-12, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watch stuff as you get them, or at least shortly after. A large collection may also be the result of small purchases over a long period of time. I've been collecting movies for a couple of decades, so I've had a decent amount of time to amass a large collection.
Old 09-05-12, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I look at it as now I don't have to worry about something not being available when I want to watch it. I've also probably spent less buying than many people do renting. Plus, I'm not the only one watching, so if you compare that with how much you'd spend going out to a movie with staying home, I do a lot better money wise buying than anything else.
Old 09-05-12, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mattflix View Post
For those with the larger collections, how can you find the time to watch all of them? Again, I've got 1300 DVD's and I feel like that's too much because I'll never watch them all. At one a day, if I were to try to watch everything, it would take me 4 years to go through everything. As of now, I've purged everything that I can't see myself watching again. And anything I do buy is going to be something that I truly loved. So no more blind purchases, or even just buying stuff that I merely "like" on the cheap. So my collection ends up being truly good movies.

No disrespect intended or anything, but how can you manage this for collections of 3k-10k?
The horror challenge is coming up soon. Join in and burn through part of your collection.

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I'm in the process of "tossing" a little more than half my collection, mostly DVDs but also good deal of blu-rays. By whittling it down from over 2K of stuff I like to just under 1K of stuff I love, I feel it'll be a collection even more specific to me.

And by "tossing" I mean giving away to friends, selling what's sell-able, and giving the rest to the library/goodwill.
I'm betting you'll regret it.
Old 09-05-12, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by LJG765 View Post
I look at it as now I don't have to worry about something not being available when I want to watch it. I've also probably spent less buying than many people do renting. Plus, I'm not the only one watching, so if you compare that with how much you'd spend going out to a movie with staying home, I do a lot better money wise buying than anything else.
I can definitely understand and agree with that. But still, as the number of movies you genuinely enjoy grows, they start to take priority over one another. So if I'm going to rewatch a movie, I'm more inclined to rewatch something that I loved as opposed to something that I only like, so I think those movies naturally get pushed lower in the totem pole.

So if you've got hundreds of A+ movies at your disposal, why would you ever watch a C- movie again? There are enough great movies to go around, so I figure flush the rest out of the collection. Even though that's my approach to my collection, I still have more movies than I know what to do with them.

It's a space thing and a money thing. If I only had a small collection, it might be worth it to buy something I'm not so into on the cheap. But at this point it's not worth spending anything on a movie, even if I find it for a dollar at a garage sale, if going forward it'll never get play in the future. Also at this point if I'm really aching to see it I can always Netflix the disc or pay $2 to stream it. But that's not worth buying an array of discs to have at my disposal IMHO.
Old 09-05-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm betting you'll regret it.
Why?

I tend to forget about the stuff I get rid of.
Old 09-05-12, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went thru the same process recently and its interesting because I'm actually liking my collection quite abit more since I've whittled it down 75%. It doesn't feel so overwhelming.
Old 09-05-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
I went thru the same process recently and its interesting because I'm actually liking my collection quite abit more since I've whittled it down 75%. It doesn't feel so overwhelming.
Totally agree. I went thru my collection several years ago and removed a ton of stuff. I still try to go thru my collection every so often and remove stuff that I am not watching. I definitely appreciate my smaller collection more than when I had a ton of movies and would sometimes see stuff and ask myself, "Why the hell do I own that?"

As someone else said above, it seems to make the collection more personal.
Old 09-05-12, 04:18 PM

Why?

I tend to forget about the stuff I get rid of.
Because I've known several people who did similar things with their DVD and CD collections. They ended up buying back many of the things they let go. If you don't have the collector DNA in ya, then you'll be fine. Maybe.
Old 09-12-12, 02:39 AM

Wow...this was a solid hour+ of reading. I've got a small 400+/- collection mostly in boxes in storage. I'm planning, when I get more space, to organize them on a few shelves by genre, alphabetically.

I'm like some of you, only moreso with books...I want to have at least a few dozen choices. Then, if the mood strikes, I'll always have an option. So I have boxes of books that just lie there. I think the handful of posters that say 'weed out your collection' are on to something, though. If I haven't read/watched something in a few years, maybe it's best to not let it sit there, collecting dust.

But good stuff, I'd love to see more pictures of people's collections.
Old 09-12-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Because I've known several people who did similar things with their DVD and CD collections. They ended up buying back many of the things they let go. If you don't have the collector DNA in ya, then you'll be fine. Maybe.
I've done that a couple times with music and games. Now I'm more picky about what I get and I tend to not get rid of things unless I'm upgrading.
Old 10-04-12, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mattflix View Post

For me it's a visual aesthetic more than a need to watch/re-watch. I enjoy looking over the spines, picking a title from the shelf and admiring the artwork, disc, notes, etc. I have a problem with sometimes never watching stuff I buy, but I still enjoy the presentation. It's like baseball cards from back in the day, I suppose.

I'm guilty of this, for me more with music, though. A couple years ago I implemented a rule to take pictures of items I sell or give away. That seems to have backfired, though, because if I happen to look at one of those pictures then I'm reminded of some really cool stuff I got rid of, and then I may become obsessed with obtaining it again. Sick, I know.

Also, since I just finished unpacking about 40 boxes of movies, and since packers NEVER pack items in a way that makes any sense whatsoever, I highly suggest to anyone moving to take the time to take pictures of EVERY shelf/section to guarantee proper re-filing. My titles aren't all alphabetized, so this saved me a lot of irritation. And I can open any box in any order; it's like a putting together a puzzle.

Originally Posted by neocheddar02 View Post
I'm like some of you, only moreso with books...I want to have at least a few dozen choices. Then, if the mood strikes, I'll always have an option. So I have boxes of books that just lie there.
I used to be like this with books, but with my last two moves I learned something VERY important: Books are heavy. So I decided to throttle back on the book collecting. Just movies and music for the most part now. Still a couple hundred books though. D'oh.
Old 10-04-12, 05:14 PM
Banned

I had just watched The Thing but couldn't find the case. I spent probably 30 minutes looking for it, only to find it on a stack of Gamecube games 2 feet away.
Old 12-31-12, 03:36 PM

Almost put an OCD-related post here, but it's not completely organization related so I started a new thread.

Help me. What am I forgetting to do that must be done before today ends? Or must be started tomorrow?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.