Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XIII

OMG DVD & Blu-Ray Insert for anyone who's interested: http://t.co/Q9XPIeI
Old 08-24-11, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by md2810
Thanks Mark! fantastic inserts as always.
Old 08-24-11, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am shocked they are including the match between Katie Lea and Beth Phoenix because

1) they are acknowleging OVW, which was their development territory once

2) To even include Katie Lea, who now works for TNA

3) that they will admit a girl wrestler whom they jobbed out and turned to a valet actually can work a match, and also came off better than their Glamazon? (so now WWE fans can see what could have been with Winter?)

I thought WWE loves revisionist history, so this comes out as a major surprise!
Old 08-24-11, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by md2810
Just printed them Mark...thanks again!
Old 08-25-11, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by salamander2
I am shocked they are including the match between Katie Lea and Beth Phoenix because

1) they are acknowleging OVW, which was their development territory once
I thought it was strange when they included on Batista's DVD, a match with him and one of the Basham Brothers of all people from OVW.
Old 08-25-11, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's official, Summerslam 2011 on Blu-ray is cancelled in North America

WWE SummerSlam 2011 on Blu-ray is cancelled for North America. As you may have been following, it was abruptly removed from the schedule we use.

Today Silvervision confirmed the “Region A” cancellation. However, SummerSlam will make it to Blu-ray in Europe (get yours). It’s to be a single disc release with the following extras:

Monday Night Raw 25th July, 2011
Triple H relieves Mr. McMahon of his duties

Monday Night Raw 8th August, 2011
Triple H has a special announcement

John Cena vs. Jack Swagger

CM Punk vs. Alberto Del Rio

John Cena & CM Punk SummerSlam Contract Signing

Monday Night Raw 15th August, 2011
CM Punk confronts Kevin Nash

http://www.wwedvdnews.com/summerslam...trailer/16489/
That sucks…if it’s being released in Europe, at least it should be available in North American as well. But i guess to be fair Over the Limit 2011 blu was canned in the UK and only available in the US. But doesn’t seem like a fair trade.
Old 08-25-11, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They moved too fast too soon. WWE released only WM and SS in 1999, the year that DVD really started to pick up. By 2000 it was the big four, and after NWO in 2001, every event was released on DVD.

The difference, though, is that despite the price advantages, people haven't immediately switched over to blu simply because the format probably came out too soon. People were just starting to aquire massive DVD collections, and aren't ready to switch to a new format.

WM in 2008 and 2009, and the big four in 2010 was a good pace. Instead, they released Hell in a Cell '10, Bragging Rights '10, Elimination Chamber '11, Extreme Rules '11, and worstly, Over the Limit '11. They should have just stuck with the big four in 2010 and 2011, honestly. Instead, they released a bunch of events no one even bought on DVD (especially OTL), and as a result they're afraid to release any more ppvs on blu.

The sad irony is that MITB and SummerSlam are perfect examples of ppvs that fully deserve the blu treatment. MITB I wasn't holding my breath, but they released SS on blu last year, and should have been consistent.

One of the reasons I bought a PS3 was to play blu-rays, namely WWE blu-rays, but aside from the nine I own, it looks like I won't get to take advantage of that for a while.
Old 08-25-11, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
They moved too fast too soon. WWE released only WM and SS in 1999, the year that DVD really started to pick up. By 2000 it was the big four, and after NWO in 2001, every event was released on DVD.

The difference, though, is that despite the price advantages, people haven't immediately switched over to blu simply because the format probably came out too soon. People were just starting to aquire massive DVD collections, and aren't ready to switch to a new format.

WM in 2008 and 2009, and the big four in 2010 was a good pace. Instead, they released Hell in a Cell '10, Bragging Rights '10, Elimination Chamber '11, Extreme Rules '11, and worstly, Over the Limit '11. They should have just stuck with the big four in 2010 and 2011, honestly. Instead, they released a bunch of events no one even bought on DVD (especially OTL), and as a result they're afraid to release any more ppvs on blu.

The sad irony is that MITB and SummerSlam are perfect examples of ppvs that fully deserve the blu treatment. MITB I wasn't holding my breath, but they released SS on blu last year, and should have been consistent.

One of the reasons I bought a PS3 was to play blu-rays, namely WWE blu-rays, but aside from the nine I own, it looks like I won't get to take advantage of that for a while.
I agree, the big 4 were a good start along with compilations and maybe an occasional ppv that received overall great reception (Elimination Chamber, Extreme Rules and Money in the Bank are perfect examples of ppvs that were praised).

But at least they're releasing Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels, Ladder Match 2 and Steve Austin which all look great.

No content is released yet for Steve Austin, but i'm confident this will be an amazing set, especially now it's 4 disc dvd and 3 disc blu-ray, along with Austin confirming over 3 hours of blu-ray exclusives. Looks like a must buy regardless.
Old 08-26-11, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by sg2386
I agree, the big 4 were a good start along with compilations and maybe an occasional ppv that received overall great reception (Elimination Chamber, Extreme Rules and Money in the Bank are perfect examples of ppvs that were praised).

But at least they're releasing Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels, Ladder Match 2 and Steve Austin which all look great.

No content is released yet for Steve Austin, but i'm confident this will be an amazing set, especially now it's 4 disc dvd and 3 disc blu-ray, along with Austin confirming over 3 hours of blu-ray exclusives. Looks like a must buy regardless.
I have a good feeling about this new Austin Blu Ray, and I actually can't wait for Silvervision to get the listings out.
Old 08-26-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The song they used for the buffer between items on the OMG Top 50 release is just excruciating.
Old 08-26-11, 06:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
The song they used for the buffer between items on the OMG Top 50 release is just excruciating.
What do you mean buffer between items?
Old 08-26-11, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
I thought you might be exaggerating, but you were certainly not. Totally painful. and now, it's stuck in my head.
Old 08-26-11, 10:27 PM

Agreed on the song choice. Terrible, yet you get in stuck in your head
Old 08-26-11, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Aside from the song, I did enjoy the first disc of that set. They could have spent a bit more time on each segment, but overall, I thought it was pretty good.
Old 08-27-11, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by VikingsSooners
What do you mean buffer between items?
In between each of the 50 events on the countdown, this ridiculous song is played. Every.Single.Time. By #42, I was begging for it to stop.

The countdown itself was a blast to watch, and I love how they included so many full segments in the extras portion.
Old 08-29-11, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chocoboy87
Agreed on the song choice. Terrible, yet you get in stuck in your head
Lol, I was coming here to post about the same thing. OMG. over and over again. So lame. WTF where they thinking? Playing that same shitty song between every entry. It sounds like it was written and recorded by some rappers in a 5 minute session.

I feel like they rushed this one out the door too fast. We don't get any host for the countdown unlike other dvds, and most of the wrestler's comments are jobbers often talking about how they were in high school when such and such all went down.

A fun dvd, but almost everything shown can be seen multiple times on other dvd sets.
Old 08-29-11, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Next week, Orton's DVD come out.
Old 08-29-11, 09:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rmw650
Next week, Orton's DVD come out.
I already pre-ordered the Blu-Ray
Old 08-29-11, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by VikingsSooners
I already pre-ordered the Blu-Ray
Did you preorder from WWEshop? i read on another message board that WWE have started to ship it early.

WWEShop is known to ship certain stuff early. I remember couple years back i pre-ordered SDvRAW 2009 Collectors Edition (with Blu-ray) and it shipped about a week before release...was so psyched.
Old 08-30-11, 12:23 AM
Banned

Did you preorder from WWEshop? i read on another message board that WWE have started to ship it early.

WWEShop is known to ship certain stuff early. I remember couple years back i pre-ordered SDvRAW 2009 Collectors Edition (with Blu-ray) and it shipped about a week before release...was so psyched.
No, Amazon
Old 08-30-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More news on the Austin DVD/Blu-ray:

Silvervision.co.uk have today revealed that the documentary portion on WWE’s upcoming Stone Cold Steve Austin 4-Disc DVD runs over a whopping 2 and a half hours. They also revealed one match confirmed to be included on the set:

Stunning Steve Austin vs. Gentleman Chris Adams
(USWA – May 1990)

http://www.wwedvdnews.com/wwe-stone-...mentary/16606/
Keeps getting better and better...2.5 hour documentary sounds awesome, i'm getting the whole Rise and Fall of ECW feel to this.

As for ppvs on Blu-ray, looks like no Vengeance as well. We probably won't get a ppv Blu-ray til Survivor Series (if we're lucky) or possibly even Royal Rumble...if not, then definitely Wrestlemania 28.
Old 08-30-11, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd bet on Royal Rumble as the next PPV on Blu at this point. If they yanked Summerslam I can't see them doing Survivor Series.
Old 08-30-11, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More news on the Austin DVD/Blu-ray:

Keeps getting better and better...2.5 hour documentary sounds awesome, i'm getting the whole Rise and Fall of ECW feel to this.

As for ppvs on Blu-ray, looks like no Vengeance as well. We probably won't get a ppv Blu-ray til Survivor Series (if we're lucky) or possibly even Royal Rumble...if not, then definitely Wrestlemania 28.
I declare...if they (WWE) wante to do a Home Video release properly, they have a perfect example with this new Austin set and the Bret/Shawn one. They have enough material to really make a lot of their releases outstanding so if this sells well (which i believe will), then maybe the next Nitro set or whatever can be expanded upon to include more documentary and matches.
Old 09-01-11, 02:51 AM

Hey all. I still got an extra copy of the Walmart exclusive Kane DVD. Brand new and sealed. $10. Any takers?
Old 09-02-11, 07:43 AM
Banned

I went to Wal-Mart this morning and saw they have Bret Hart: Best There Is, Best There Was, Best There Ever Be set in the $5 bin, I would pick it up but I already have the set

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.