Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

WB and The Blind Side...SD screwed Again!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

WB and The Blind Side...SD screwed Again!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-10, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: WB and The Blind Side...SD screwed Again!

Originally Posted by Groucho
This is exactly how it should work. BD is a premium product, for discriminating collectors and lovers of cinema.

I love the idea of someone using words like 'discriminating' and 'cinema' in a thread about The Blind Side.

I stopped buying dvds altogether about a year ago, and it was the studios greed/arrogance/stupidity that did it for me.

One minute they're charging nearly $100 for a single season tv boxset, then a year or two later they're selling complete series sets of the same show for $79.95 (the same goes for movies 19.95 > 3.98). Basically letting you know that their product has little value and they've been fcking you over for years.

Why don't they just spit on you and call you a moron while you're checking out?
Old 03-21-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
And would you like to buy those with less money than you a new TV and Blu-Ray player?
I'm actually considering purchasing a Blu-ray player and I don't have an HDTV. You really don't need one.

My older SDTV that I bought almost 5 years ago has COMPONENT inputs and I'd be satisfied watching that for the time being. I'm not saying I'd never upgrade to HDTV but players are coming down in price as are BDs.

You can get only the player for now if special features are that important to you. I know they are to me. I've let some incredible BD bargains pass me by -- Wizard of OZ (Emerald Ed.), but I may just pick that up soon.
Old 03-21-10, 02:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheato
I took Trevor's "durable" to mean "longlasting," a secondary definition of the word, and I applied that to the concept of the technology being supported longer in the future. However, this is an awesome point, too. I love the fact that none of my PS3 games or my (small number of) Blu-rays have any scratches whatsoever. And I can feel very confident when buying something used that it will be scratch-free.
No, I meant the durable as in scratch resistant.

I actually think that DVDs will outlast BDs, as a marketed format.

That said, there is little to no reason for a DVD lover to not buy a BD player.
Originally Posted by kintnerboy
One minute they're charging nearly $100 for a single season tv boxset, then a year or two later they're selling complete series sets of the same show for $79.95 (the same goes for movies 19.95 > 3.98). Basically letting you know that their product has little value and they've been fcking you over for years.

Isn't that how the free market system has worked for every consumer product for hundreds of years?

How the heck do you expect it to be any other way?

Love the Jaws reference btw.
Old 03-21-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Tell me, where can I pick up any of Sony's recent film noir sets on Blu-Ray. Best Buy doesn't seem to be carrying it.
You mean the same sets that are in my sig? You do realize that it is legal to still buy DVDs once you own a Blu-Ray player? And even more crazy, they do actually play on Blu-Ray players. Its like the best of both worlds, pretty sad that you & others limit yourselves to only having one choice. The lack of features on some discs is only another of the myriad examples of why DVDs are inferior, even pro-DVD people here are bitching about it, yet you & others still spend a small fortune on them showing you have money to waste.

I love threads like these, they are hillarious.
Old 03-21-10, 02:30 PM
Banned

I don't have an HDTV and I've had a blu-ray player for two years. Even without an HDTV, the difference between regular dvd and blu-ray is amazing. If the dvd or blu-ray has features the other doesn't, just get the blu-ray for the great picture quality of the movie and wait until the dvd's price goes way down and you can find it for cheap.
Old 03-21-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Speaking of the free market, I assume Warner has some in-house bean counters who would be saying, "Hey, we've analyzed the market and our past releases and we're missing out on millions of $ by not putting more features on the SD." Even though the features have already been produced for the Blu, I'm sure there'd be expenses involved in producing a separate two-disc release or putting more stuff on the one-disc (I assume this would be the cheaper route).
Old 03-21-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
And if you were watching BD you wouldn't have to worry about that.
That's not the issue. SD is perfectly fine for 90% of the stuff I would watch; no one should have to worry about a transfer being "gimped" so a studio can push something else.

Blu-Ray for me, is for visually stunning movies, not for big budget made-for-tv quality stuff like "The Blind Side."
Old 03-21-10, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
That's not the issue. SD is perfectly fine for 90% of the stuff I would watch; no one should have to worry about a transfer being "gimped" so a studio can push something else.

Blu-Ray for me, is for visually stunning movies, not for big budget made-for-tv quality stuff like "The Blind Side."
I understand what you are saying, but the point remains. Drop $100 on a BD player and you no longer have to worry about a gimped transfer. I actually watched the SD version of Blind Side and it was fine upconverted, but the option was there for me to choose.
Old 03-21-10, 06:21 PM
Banned

I love the idea of someone using words like 'discriminating' and 'cinema' in a thread about The Blind Side.

I stopped buying dvds altogether about a year ago, and it was the studios greed/arrogance/stupidity that did it for me.

I imagine you get pissed at the entire auto industry, fashion, furniture, etc,. The fact is that most items depreciate in value every year and that includes most DVDs.
Old 03-21-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Jesus, it's not like The Blind Side has a 3 hour extensive behind the scenes documentary covering pre production, production and post production.

You should know that a movie like this would get some fluffy EPK featurettes with everyone kissing each others ass and saying how great the story was and how the director was an "Actors director" etc.
Old 03-21-10, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
I imagine you get pissed at the entire auto industry, fashion, furniture, etc,. The fact is that most items depreciate in value every year and that includes most DVDs.

This is possibly the worst attempt at an analogy I have ever seen.

What does depreciation (which relates to the value of USED items) have to do with anything?

You can go to Amazon right now and buy a brand new dvd for anywhere from $3 to $30. Is there another industry anywhere in the world where the EXACT SAME ITEM can have a 1000% difference in cost?

(if so, someone please point me to the auto dealer where I can pick up a brand new car for $2000).
Old 03-21-10, 11:04 PM
Banned

This is possibly the worst attempt at an analogy I have ever seen.

What does depreciation (which relates to the value of USED items) have to do with anything?

You can go to Amazon right now and buy a brand new dvd for anywhere from $3 to $30. Is there another industry anywhere in the world where the EXACT SAME ITEM can have a 1000% difference in cost?

(if so, someone please point me to the auto dealer where I can pick up a brand new car for $2000).
So a new 2008 Ford Explorer is worth the same in 2010? Depreciation is not only for USED items. As years go by, unsold inventory lose value most of the time.
Old 03-21-10, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

What were we talking about again?
Old 03-21-10, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
How The Blind Side DVD has roughly the resale value of a Chevy Aveo.
Old 03-21-10, 11:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by davidh777
People here that are still complaining because Blu-rays have extras DVDs don't and the fact that there is people annoyed that DVDs lower in value as time passes.
Old 03-22-10, 12:22 PM

Warners enjoys fucking over Blu-ray owners as well. Ever since adopting the BD/DVD/Digital Copy combo idea, their extras have becoming increasingly WEAK! They pretend as if the DVD copy and Digital copy a part of the extras so the actual BD features consist of crap like "HBO First Look", "Focus Points" and "Maximum Movie Mode". The latter is OK but I think I'd much rather have an excellent audio commentary than watch McG's ugly mug pop up every 5 minutes to spew crap from his mouth.
Old 03-22-10, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Doesnt surprise me that there are less features on the dvd than on the blue ray. Par for the course nowadays. What surprises me is that there are people that are concerned about it. It's The Blind Side people.
Old 03-22-10, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is exactly how it should work. BD is a premium product, for discriminating collectors and lovers of cinema. SD is for Joe Six Pack.
You know, not ALL lovers of cinema can afford a Blu-Ray and a TV bigger than the house. Ex. I will be buying Mr. Fox tomorrow, even though Fox gave the Blu-Ray all the worthwhile features and the standard DVD gets the fluff.

Of course, whoever in their right mind would want to own this Oscar-thieving piece of shit should be embarrassed to call themselves a "lover of cinema."
Old 03-22-10, 08:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

For those who just joined us, here's a quick summary: the OP is outraged that people who pay more for something, get more.
Old 03-22-10, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For those who just joined us, here's a quick summary: the OP is outraged that people who pay more for something, get more.
actually, there are a lot of blu releases that are the same price as the special editions sd dvd counterparts. and some blus are priced even less than the sd dvd. so, your statement above could read:

"... the op is outraged that people who pay less for something, get more."

and so yep, that is outrageous
Old 03-22-10, 10:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

At Amazon, the Blu-Ray for The Blind Side is $22.99. The DVD is $16.99.
Old 03-22-10, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smurr05
I have absolutely zero reasons to switch to Blu-Ray! I have a collection of over 2700 dvd's,150 or so that are Criterions that I paid good money for,125 music dvds,1200 tv dvd's and an excellent Panasonic Vierra EDTV with 720 dpi and my dvd's look fantastic upconverted on it. I don't need 1080 dpi! I will NEVER switch formats at this point in my collecting. It just pisses me off that the majority of us collecting dvd's are SD buyers and the studios now punish us because of that when before BD we used to get some great SE DVD's with great bonus features and now we get screwed over!!!
This whole tirade is just insane. I am now even more retarted for reading it. You really need to read up on technology. Your arguement makes no sense. You could keep your collection and maybe enjoy it even more. What did you do with all your VHS tapes?
Old 03-22-10, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I don't understand this resistance from DVD collectors. Do you REALLY think you will have to cart your DVD collection to the dump if you get a Blu-Ray player? Take smurr05, for example...with a 720p TV I am willing to bet your DVDs would look just fine on your TV and you could start buying new titles on Blu-Ray. Obviously money is not the issue here...Blu-Ray players are not that expensive and if you wait for a good sale you can get the special editions of Blu-Ray titles cheaper than their DVD counterparts.

To me, SD people are only punishing themselves by not upgrading and continuing to whine about it.

It seems that I heard many of these same arguments from VHS collectors in the past, and eventually they upgraded as well. At least with Blu-Ray your DVDs will still play in the players and be upconverted. There is no need to worry about having to replace all your movies.

For me, I buy big event titles on Blu-Ray and if something comes out on DVD only I am happy to pick it up too if I want it. These things can live side by side together on a piano, oh why can't we?
Old 03-22-10, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
No, I meant the durable as in scratch resistant.
I was wondering why they don't use this scratch-resistant coating on regular DVDs. From Wikipedia:

"All Blu-Ray Disc media are required by specification to be scratch-resistant. DVD media are not required to be scratch-resistant, but since development of the technology, some companies, such as Verbatim, implemented hard-coating for more expensive lineups of recordable DVDs."

So, it sounds like DVDs could also be made scratch-resistant. I'm guessing the studios are not doing that on purpose, in order to keep this a selling point for Blu-Ray over DVD. A little devious, in my opinion, as is the whole format.
Old 03-22-10, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JerryKILL
I was wondering why they don't use this scratch-resistant coating on regular DVDs. From Wikipedia:

"All Blu-Ray Disc media are required by specification to be scratch-resistant. DVD media are not required to be scratch-resistant, but since development of the technology, some companies, such as Verbatim, implemented hard-coating for more expensive lineups of recordable DVDs."

So, it sounds like DVDs could also be made scratch-resistant. I'm guessing the studios are not doing that on purpose, in order to keep this a selling point for Blu-Ray over DVD. A little devious, in my opinion, as is the whole format.
Devious, or just planning to keep making money in the future.

Consumer goods have a built in life span. For DVD it's 4-5 years. Granted, most of us here have had DVDs last much longer, but the average household with children and people who just don't care about the care of DVDs...it's 4-5 years before they get so badly scratched that they have to be replaced. I forget exactly where I read this...it was in Home Media magazine, I think...a trade publication for video stores. But this keeps them sure that they will have people buying their products in the future.

Which makes me wonder...what did they put into the Blu-Ray discs to make them have a built in life span? A new form of laser rot?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.