Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

SEVERAL StudioCanal Criterions going OOP: Le Corbeau, Fallen Idol, Alphaville, others

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

SEVERAL StudioCanal Criterions going OOP: Le Corbeau, Fallen Idol, Alphaville, others

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-10, 03:17 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: SEVERAL StudioCanal Criterions going OOP: Le Corbeau, Fallen Idol, Alphaville, ot

contempt and ran have been rereleased in blu versions by them but I havent heard how the quality is.

Last edited by g; 02-03-10 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-03-10, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: SEVERAL StudioCanal Criterions going OOP: Le Corbeau, Fallen Idol, Alphaville, ot

Originally Posted by Brent L
Yep, I bought it then when they said that. It may not have been 3 years ago, but they did say something like that a while back.
Yeah I remember the first time these went "out of print"...many years ago. I think they just make these announcements to boost sales.
Old 02-03-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by g
contempt and ran have been rereleased in blu versions by them but I havent heard how the quality is.
Ran looks terrible. Criterion not getting to release this properly on Blu-ray is a crime.
Old 02-03-10, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have the kind of money to buy all the titles I want until next month. Will they stop making them in late March? Or should I buy them now and get it over with?
Old 02-03-10, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you must want a bunch of those CC films.
Old 02-04-10, 03:18 AM

I wonder if Lions Gate realizes that this will be the only time many of those titles will be available on DVD?

I just don't see them releasing Port of Shadows or Peeing Tom- ever.
Old 02-04-10, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Neeb
I wonder if Lions Gate realizes that this will be the only time many of those titles will be available on DVD?

I just don't see them releasing Port of Shadows or Peeing Tom- ever.
I'm not sure about Port of Shadows, but Lionsgate's running affection for the horror genre should push Peeping Tom out.
Old 02-04-10, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd think Peeping Tom would be rather high in priority among that list. There is a Blu-ray being prepared for the UK.
Old 02-04-10, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zombeaner
I'd think Peeping Tom would be rather high in priority among that list. There is a Blu-ray being prepared for the UK.
Meaning we should expect it stateside in a few months. Neeb, however, was looking for Peeing Tom, the R. Kelly production.
Old 02-04-10, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Meaning we should expect it stateside in a few months. Neeb, however, was looking for Peeing Tom, the R. Kelly production.
Made this a few years ago. Criterion never got around to releasing it....
Old 02-04-10, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
you must want a bunch of those CC films.
Nah, just Peeping Tom and Pierrot, but I'm a college student and I get about $150 a month. I always spend $75 on things that I "want" and save the rest for things that I need throughout the month, and I just made my Amazon order before this was released haha.
Old 02-04-10, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by doob
does Lionsgate ever release films like these?? I got curious and went to their website and all I see are like.. Barney movies..
Lionsgate is currently releasing a number of classic and art films on Blu-ray as part of their new "Studio Canal Collection". They're all direct ports of the discs that Studio Canal previously released in Europe.
Old 02-04-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Didn't Criterion announce that Le Corbeau was going out of print like 3 years ago?
Le Corbeau and Port of Shadows did go OOP for about 6 months...but they were able to reacquire the rights - it was when Variety Lights went OOP as well - and oddly they've only been able to sell the Essential Art House version since then and the regular CC edition has stayed OOP.

StudioCanal is trying to get their own boutique label going, with the first blu rays coming out this month: Ran, which is a pile of crap apparently, Le Mepris (Contempt), and Ladykillers. But it took them a year to get those out, so who knows which of these titles will get redone. If I had to guess, I'd imagine Peeping Tom and Grand Illusion are most likely to get blu ray treatment. But it's really hard to guess...and I imagine quite a few of them will never get rereleased, or at least not for the next few years.
Old 02-05-10, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JerryKILL
Yeah I remember the first time these went "out of print"...many years ago. I think they just make these announcements to boost sales.
Yes, they really make a killing by selling the few hundred remaining discs they have in the warehouse and never ever being able to sell them again.

The four titles that went OOP a few years ago is one of the very very few times they were able to reacquire the rights to 3 of the 4 titles months later. But now that Studio Canal is trying to get their own thing going here in the U.S. you can expect all of the titles they have licensed to Criterion to go away sooner rather than later. I would guess it's just a matter of the rights expiring.

Ran and Contempt were supposed to be among the first blu rays released by Criterion, but after they had been announced they were mysteriously pulled - which we later found out was because SC took them back to make them the first releases of their new "Studio Canal Collection". First reports of Ran are very bad:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/FILM/DVDCompare2/ran.htm

But Contempt is apparently a nice upgrade...so we'll have to wait and see. Peeping Tom is likely to get a blu ray release in that line along with Grand Illusion...maybe Tales of Hoffman (which is George Romero's favorite film of all time...go figure) and the Godards....after that which titles they decide to redo is anyone's guess. They have to know the primary customer base for such releases will largely already have the CC discs, so they will need to do some serious work to make it worth the upgrade - not to mention working against the MASSIVE brand identity Criterion has built up over decades of tireless devotion to putting out the best product possible. The Ran debacle is not a good start.

They have a line of releases in the UK though which is apparently well regarded. But Lionsgate has a terrible track record, so i'm not optimistic.

As for recommendations: Fallen Idol is a great flick - it's Carol Reed's follow up to The Third Man - so if you liked that, get Fallen Idol. Other must haves imo:

Le Corbeau
Quai Des Orvevres
Grand Illusion
Peeping Tom

and the Orphic Trilogy is absolutely essential and a set I can't imagine Lionsgate ever re-releasing. Of the entire list, I think this is most likely to get insanely expensive - followed by Peirrot le Fou blu - which has only been out a few months.
Old 02-05-10, 12:38 AM

So, can anyone answer my question: should I get these ASAP or is it safe to wait until the end of March?
Old 02-05-10, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It seems that most every major etailer got hammered with orders, but Criterion has said they will continue to offer these until the end of March. I suspect they are going to print more of everything to handle the demand, so I don't see why you shouldn't be able to wait, but it's a gamble in the end. If there is any of them you REALLY want, I would try to get them asap. It sucks that this came right now, I had been saving for the rumored 50% off sale at B&N in the spring...but I didn't want to risk not being able to get those that I really wanted still....so they'll cost a bit more, but at least you know you have them.

The real danger is some of the older or less 'popular' releases like Diary of a Country Priest - a GREAT film, but already to the dreaded "ships in 1-3 weeks" status on Amazon. I'm sure Criterion will devote their time to getting more copies of Peirrot Le Fou to satisfy the demand rather than the Orphic Trilogy...which is why I think the latter will become very scarce - I think Criterion will retain rights to one of the three Cocteau's, making the re-release of a new box impossible. It's also got a lot of great extras, and prior to Rossellini's War Trilogy had a good case for Crown Jewel of the collection.
Old 02-05-10, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDuke
So, can anyone answer my question: should I get these ASAP or is it safe to wait until the end of March?

I think they would be safe to buy until the end of March, but I am also thinking about merchants on Amazon as well.

My problem is that I am hoping for another B&N sale, but I have no idea when it will happen (or if it will happen). I had to pick up copies of 6 titles (including the Orphic Trilogy) this last week at a higher price that I want to pay, but at least I know I am safe. Now if the B&N sale does happen and these are available, I can always pick them up again and eventually sell my copies for at least as much or more than I paid for them.
Old 02-05-10, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by brizz
As for recommendations: Fallen Idol is a great flick - it's Carol Reed's follow up to The Third Man - so if you liked that, get Fallen Idol.
Actually it's the other way around. The Fallen Idol in '48 followed by The Third Man in '49.

The reason why Graham Greene wrote the screenplay for The Third Man was because he and Carol Reed got along so well (and successfully) on The Fallen Idol.
Old 02-05-10, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by biglou114
Actually it's the other way around. The Fallen Idol in '48 followed by The Third Man in '49.

The reason why Graham Greene wrote the screenplay for The Third Man was because he and Carol Reed got along so well (and successfully) on The Fallen Idol.
ah, thanks for the correction...I always thought it went Odd Man Out - Third Man - Fallen Idol...but you are correct

incidentally, I am assuming this means we can kiss the hope of getting Odd Man Out in a Criterion set good bye. That's been long rumoured - as has The Man Between - but both are probably gone now too.

Last edited by HistoryProf; 02-05-10 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-05-10, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ugh... It happened.

I have too many fucking DVDs.

So, I look at this list and say to myself "Fallen Idol? I *love* that movie. Better grab it before it goes OOP."

It arrives in today's mail and I go to put it into the collection. Yep, you can see where this is going... I already have it.
Old 02-05-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brizz
I am assuming this means we can kiss the hope of getting Odd Man Out in a Criterion set good bye.
There's a solid R2 SE for only £7.48 from Amazon.
Old 02-05-10, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Ugh... It happened.

So, I look at this list and say to myself "Fallen Idol? I *love* that movie. Better grab it before it goes OOP."

It arrives in today's mail and I go to put it into the collection. Yep, you can see where this is going... I already have it.
Damn, when you're dealing with Criterions that's not a mistake you want to make too often.
Old 02-05-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those concerned about not getting something, Criterion posted the following assurance on their website:

Just an update on the soon-to-be-out of print StudioCanal titles—many are listed as sold out on our website due to the huge response from all of you, but they'll be back in stock soon, and we'll honor all orders placed through the end of March.
They did knock $5 off the price of every one of them, making the EHS titles $10 and change, so not bad there.

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/1366
Old 02-05-10, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Ugh... It happened.

Did you hear "BAINES BAINES BAINES!!!!!!!!!!" from behind you when you noticed it?
Old 02-05-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

oh, and don't feel bad bboisvert, I did the same thing last xmas - bought my wife Wild Strawberries as she is a big Bergman fan....turns out I had bought it for her the previous year already

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.