Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

SEVERAL StudioCanal Criterions going OOP: Le Corbeau, Fallen Idol, Alphaville, others

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

SEVERAL StudioCanal Criterions going OOP: Le Corbeau, Fallen Idol, Alphaville, others

Old 02-02-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Via Criterion's Newsletter:

Dear Criterion collectors,

Our three least favorite initials: OOP. Since we launched the Criterion Collection more than twenty-five years ago, we’ve endeavored to keep everything we’ve published in print. But despite our efforts to renew rights, we are losing a large group of titles from StudioCanal at the end of March, and we wanted to give you advance notice that our editions will be going out of print. Until we’re out of stock, we will be offering these titles at an additional $5 off on our website. The titles are going to Lionsgate, and we don’t know when they may be rereleased. As ever, we will continue to try to relicense the films so that they can rejoin the collection sometime in the future.

Here are the titles that will soon be out of print:

Alphaville
Carlos Saura’s Flamenco Trilogy (Eclipse Series 6)
Le corbeau
Coup de torchon
Diary of a Country Priest
The Fallen Idol
Forbidden Games (Criterion and Essential Art House editions)
Gervaise (Essential Art House edition)
Grand Illusion (Criterion and Essential Art House editions)
Le jour se lève (Essential Art House edition)
Last Holiday (Essential Art House edition)
Mayerling (Essential Art House edition)
The Orphic Trilogy
Peeping Tom
Pierrot le fou (DVD and Blu-ray editions)
Port of Shadows
Quai des Orfèvres
The Small Back Room
The Tales of Hoffmann (Criterion and Essential Art House editions)
Trafic
Le trou
Variety Lights (Essential Art House edition)
The White Sheik

Take note: this may be your last chance to pick up spine number 1 from the collection.

Happy viewing!
The Criterion Collection
Old 02-02-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: SEVERAL StudioCanal Criterions going OOP: Le Corbeau, Fallen Idol, Alphaville, ot

and with that i place my order for Pierrot le fou Blu-ray
Old 02-02-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: SEVERAL StudioCanal Criterions going OOP: Le Corbeau, Fallen Idol, Alphaville, ot

I've put off getting Grand Illusion for so damn long... I hate to jump on it now at a less than spectacular price when I've bypassed so many great BN deals.
Old 02-02-10, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn. Need to grab Le Trou, Le Courbeau and the Orphic Trilogy ASAP.
Old 02-02-10, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-02-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by jdpatri View Post
I've put off getting Grand Illusion for so damn long... I hate to jump on it now at a less than spectacular price when I've bypassed so many great BN deals.
I wouldn't be surprised to find some of these titles still around at the next BN sale. I had a few already but didn't go crazy and just now ordered 3 more from Amazon.
Old 02-02-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I could afford it, I would grab all of those.
Old 02-02-10, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

A lot of great titles going OOP...a real shame

Just ordered "Pierrot le fou" Blu-ray at Amazon.
Old 02-02-10, 11:31 AM

I'll have to grab Grand Illusion next paycheck
Old 02-02-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Picked up Pierrot le fou on Blu-ray today. I nearly waited too long on The Third Man Blu-ray before getting it and had to wait for Amazon to finally get it back in stock one last time.

I'm not too worried on the DVDs. I definitely want Fallen Idol and a few others, but will wait for a sale. A lot of these have been out for years and will probably not sell out for months or go way up in value on DVD. The Third Man DVD is still available at many retailers.

Last edited by darkside; 02-02-10 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-02-10, 02:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I grabbed Pierrot and Grand illusion this morning that is too many titles to be going OOP unfortunately
Old 02-02-10, 03:47 PM

I wonder what effect this will have on the Janus boxset?
Old 02-02-10, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"The titles are going to Lionsgate..."
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a Lionsgate release on any of these titles.
Old 02-02-10, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Luckily, I already have every title on that list, with the exception of the EAH discs. I'll have to Netflix those before they disappear.
Old 02-02-10, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These titles are also StudioCanal, and as a result are likely to go OOP as well:
A Woman is a Woman
Touchez pas au Grisbi
That Obscure Object of Desire
Hopscotch
Le Doulos
Le Cercle Rouge
Bob le Flambeur
Big Deal on Madonna Street
Paul Robeson: Citizen of the World
Mafioso
Kind Hearts and Coronets
The Milky Way
There may be others.
Old 02-02-10, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Didn't Criterion announce that Le Corbeau was going out of print like 3 years ago?
Old 02-02-10, 06:52 PM
Cool New Member

are you guys getting the real editions over the essential art house? I'm considering pulling the trigger on a few (grand illusion, last holiday) and also le fou.
Old 02-02-10, 07:00 PM

I just grabbed a copy of grand illusion from half.com for $12. I def would like to find a decently priced copy of peeping tom
Old 02-02-10, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sessa17 View Post
Didn't Criterion announce that Le Corbeau was going out of print like 3 years ago?
Yep, I bought it then when they said that. It may not have been 3 years ago, but they did say something like that a while back.
Old 02-02-10, 08:03 PM
Banned

until they announce another list. I won't buy any of the films till it's officially announced.
Old 02-02-10, 08:15 PM

At this point it seems pretty obvious that anything StudioCanal will eventually be announced. It's just a matter of reaching the ends of the various licenses for the remaining titles. That being said, there's certainly no reason to rush on anything that's not been announced. Until it has, Criterion can continue to manufacture more. Kind of makes you wonder if they aren't overproducing on some of these? Although there may be a hard date for removing product from distribution which would defeat the purpose of overproduction.
Old 02-02-10, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sessa17 View Post
Actually it was that one and 3 others from that list:
Deja Vu
Old 02-02-10, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well shit, there's too many titles for me to afford all at once. And naturally, the one title on there I do have (Pierrot Le Fou) is one I haven't upgraded to Blu yet.

Old 02-02-10, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Personally, I'd start with the blu-ray. My guess is that'll be the first to disappear and/or most expensive to pick up down the road.

But, yeah, given your situation... shit.
Old 02-03-10, 02:46 AM
Cool New Member

does Lionsgate ever release films like these?? I got curious and went to their website and all I see are like.. Barney movies..

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.