Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 4th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (2/7 - 3/7)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 4th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (2/7 - 3/7)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-10, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: The 4th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (2/7 - 3/7)

Originally Posted by Trevor
One interesting thing about this month is that we'll all likely see more overtures and intermissions than the 11 other months combined.
Yep, I've fast forwarded through a few intermissions already. I wonder why they stopped using them? I remember watching Return of the King in the theater and wishing for an intermission.
Old 02-15-10, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Is anybody watching any President-themed Academy Award movies today in honor of President's Day?
I hadn't thought of it, but after reading your post I decided to watch 1776
Old 02-15-10, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was off to a bit of a slow start, but I am picking it up a little bit. I, like many others, am trying to pick movies that I wouldn't normally pick to watch or movies I haven't watched in a while. It's going to be hit and miss for the rest of the challenge, though with the Olympics, working weekends, and then vacation the first week in March.

I've found that one thing that is keeping me a bit more motivated is adding an "on deck" list. It is especially useful if I'm reviewing someone else's list and see a I title that piques my interest.
Old 02-18-10, 12:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Numes
I've found that one thing that is keeping me a bit more motivated is adding an "on deck" list. It is especially useful if I'm reviewing someone else's list and see a I title that piques my interest.
Same here pretty much.

For the last few months, I've been setting qualifying films in a pile. I should be through that pile in the next week, so then I plan to search everyone's list for ideas.
Old 02-20-10, 08:54 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Before joining the challenge I had already decided to watch all of the Best Picture winners that I hadn't seen. I have about 8 left and I'll have seen them all.

I watched "Around the World in 80 Days" for the first time and have to say I didn't like it very much. Too many scenes of landscapes and I hated Phineas Fogg. Very boring film.
Old 02-20-10, 09:08 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Watched Fight Club... any challenge that allows me to watch Fight Club is a friend of mine.
Old 02-20-10, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
Watched Fight Club... any challenge that allows me to watch Fight Club is a friend of mine.
First rule of watching Fight Club for the 4th Annual Academy Award Challenge is you do not talk about watching Fight Club for the 4th Annual Academy Award Challenge.
Old 02-20-10, 12:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
Before joining the challenge I had already decided to watch all of the Best Picture winners that I hadn't seen. I have about 8 left and I'll have seen them all.

I watched "Around the World in 80 Days" for the first time and have to say I didn't like it very much. Too many scenes of landscapes and I hated Phineas Fogg. Very boring film.
I watcehd a couple of scenes from the DVD, and I thought the transfer looked a bit shoddy, like it was out of focus, near objects in relationship to the background, needless to say it was visually distracting in my mind.
Old 02-20-10, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
I watched this for the first time during the challenge and didn't care for it either. I swear it felt like the movie lasted for 80 days.
Old 02-21-10, 01:10 PM

For those of you with iPhones/Touches, there is a pretty cool app that is free today (only?). It's called Oscar Movie Challenge or something close, and is basically a database of all winners and nominations.

Organized by year or award, with a search function too. I'll be using it a lot as I browse my shelves.
Old 02-21-10, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

For those of you with iPhones/Touches, there is a pretty cool app that is free today (only?). It's called Oscar Movie Challenge or something close, and is basically a database of all winners and nominations.

Organized by year or award, with a search function too. I'll be using it a lot as I browse my shelves.
Grrr... I just bought something called "And the Oscar Goes to..." for $3!
Old 02-21-10, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Grrr... I just bought something called "And the Oscar Goes to..." for $3!
Not to get too far off topic, and you probably already know all of this, but there lots of good tools to track the 100+ apps that go free for quick sales every day. Apps, websites, facebook pages.... I think that almost every app I've ever even considered wanting has been free at least once.
Old 02-21-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, thanks!
Old 02-22-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I the only one that's all but forgot about this challenge because of the Olympics? Every time I should watch a movie I end up watching hockey or curling instead.
Old 02-22-10, 10:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

In my mind movies always come first before sports (and alot of other stuff inbetween the two )
Old 02-22-10, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
Am I the only one that's all but forgot about this challenge because of the Olympics? Every time I should watch a movie I end up watching hockey or curling instead.
meh, what can you do? curling is so damn cool.
Old 02-23-10, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Since it's been brought up, I've never seen so many people THIS JAZZED about The Winter Olympics before.
Old 02-24-10, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Since it's been brought up, I've never seen so many people THIS JAZZED about The Winter Olympics before.
I've noticed this too. I thought maybe because of Facebook, it seems that way. I never knew what people watched most of the time. But a lot of my FB friends are talking about it left and right. Maybe people were watching the Olympics all along... I just never heard about it.

As for my end of the challenge, I'm having a blast. I'm not watching as many movies as I'd like, but I'm happy with the stuff I have watched. Mostly new stuff that I've never gotten around to seeing.

And watching some of those have inspired me to watch others. For instance, I had only heard about The Apartment but knew nothing about it. So, when somebody pointed out that a few of Billy Wilder movies were going to be on, I DVR'd three of them figuring I might just watch The Apartment. But I liked that so much that I moved on to Irma La Douce which I had never even heard of. I also have The Fortune Cookie on there that I hope to get to. I still have to watch Gone With The Wind and Casablanca as well. Those two have been goals of mine for years.
Old 02-24-10, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Actually, you're right. I don't know why everyone is so into it this year. I've always loved the winter games, but usually no one else seemed to care.

On the plus side, I finally managed to watch a movie yesterday. In Bruges.
Old 03-01-10, 08:31 AM

Bingo!
Old 03-01-10, 08:39 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't want to start a whole new thread, but has the annual DVDTalk Oscar predictions thread been started yet? I scrolled through briefly both here and over in Movie talk but didn't see anything, unless I missed it.
Old 03-01-10, 10:43 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm a huge sports fan (football, basketball, baseball) yet I have little interest in the Olympics (save for the hockey). So I have had plenty of time to watch movies. What's funny is some of my friends that never watch sports love the Olympics... go figure (skate).
Old 03-01-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It totally killed it for me. I was very into this at the start and then the hockey started, and I got into a bunch of the other stuff, too. The coverage was great from CTV so I just surrendered to it. Plus my girlfriend has been visiting me and she's here for another week. Not looking like I'll see much more. Too bad, I'll probably even miss the Oscars.
Old 03-01-10, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

<marquee><blink>Congratulations, Darth Maher! You FINALLY watched CASABLANCA!!!</blink></marquee>

It's about time!!!
Old 03-01-10, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

^ Congrats.

At first, then I realized just how unwatchable NBC's abysmal tape-delayed and fluff-ridden coverage really was. And to add insult to injury, the majority of online content was unavailable due to the fact that my cable company wasn't in partnership with NBC Olympics. But, damn if that 100 hours of Curling coverage wasn't addictive, so, yeah, it definitely put a major dent in it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.