Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 4th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (2/7 - 3/7)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 4th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (2/7 - 3/7)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 06:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The 4th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (2/7 - 3/7)

I know this was mentioned two years ago (not sure about last year), but AMC is doing their best picture showcase again this year. Since there are 10 films this year instead of 5 it will be held on 2 consecutive Saturdays. I've gone the past two years, and deciding this year if I want to go both days or not. Its really fun, if not a bit crazy, the hardest part is trying to avoid the movies you think will be nominated beforehand (or hopefully like the movie enough to see it again). http://www.amcentertainment.com/bps/.
Old 02-05-10, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
the "In Memorium" doesn't seem very fair, the actor might not have had any nominations or wins, but a Academy recognition and 'honor' award isn't valid - hmmmm.... I don't agree, an example would be like Harold Lloyd or Satyajit Ray film. If you allow only say, four Wild Cards including the "In Memorium" that seems like a fair inclusion - it'd be interesting to see what folks would watch and include on their lists.
I understand, but this was discussed already. When you take a filmmaker who was given an honorary award and open up their entire filmography is a ton. I understand the limiting it to 4 or whatever but having 2 wild card options is a bit ridiculous. I'm not trying to put down your idea, the reason the "In Memorium" wild card option came up was because of the large amount of celebrity deaths last year, and they always do the "In Memorium" part of every Oscars show so it seems like a good idea. It was brought up during the Holiday Challenge and I completely agreed. But again, we don't need constant wild card options here, I was a little reluctant to add a wild card to this one anyway because there are so many movies available to watch without the wild card option, but I think the "In Memorium" is a unique one.
Old 02-05-10, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets see, I noticed that "the Last Picture Show" is playing as a revival this week at the Charles in Baltimore. Go, or hope it either comes on TCM or hope i can find the dvd cheap? Yes, i have never actually seen it
Old 02-05-10, 08:20 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

^ Yeah, I see the 'argument', but agree that we already have a ridiculous amount of options of what to watch. Even without the wildcard we have at least 5,000 features to choose from I think, and maybe 500 shorts.
Old 02-05-10, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I love the In Memorium option. It's a cool little way to honor the person. I don't think it should matter if they ever were nominated. It's a nod to their contributions. Restricting it to 10 and only a film from each makes it very balanced, IMO.

One question. We can post comment right in with our lists right? I was just looking through some old threads and didn't notice many reviews and comments there. I sure hope to read some though!
Old 02-06-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone else going to try to watch something just after midnight tonight? I think I'm going to because tomorrow I'll be at a Super Bowl party all day.
Old 02-06-10, 12:32 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
Anyone else going to try to watch something just after midnight tonight? I think I'm going to because tomorrow I'll be at a Super Bowl party all day.
I'm stuck at work because of the Snowpocalypse, possibly until Monday night. Can't even open our office front door right now due to 25+" of snow against it.

Depending on my nap schedule, I'll be watching either The Conversation or Inglouriuos Basterds at midnight.
Old 02-06-10, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by indiephantom
I love the In Memorium option. It's a cool little way to honor the person. I don't think it should matter if they ever were nominated. It's a nod to their contributions. Restricting it to 10 and only a film from each makes it very balanced, IMO.

One question. We can post comment right in with our lists right? I was just looking through some old threads and didn't notice many reviews and comments there. I sure hope to read some though!
The person in question for the "In Memorium" wild card option doesn't have to have been nominated, anybody as long as they died some time during 2009. You can even watch "Thriller" to honor Michael Jackson.

And yes you can post comments/reviews about the movies you watch in your list, however if you want to discuss the movie you watched with other people that goes in this thread.
Old 02-06-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
I was going to try but I'm pretty pooped from cleaning out my grandmother's attic. I'll be at a Superbowl party tomorrow as well. I'll probably start the challenge on Monday night, if I can.
Old 02-06-10, 11:21 PM

I'm totally starting in 40 minutes! I hate football so tomorrow is an open day to watch whatever I want. I'll be home alone so I'll pick some good audio wise movies and use the full potential of the home theater!
Old 02-07-10, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

I hate football too, but I'm gonna enjoy the free food that comes with my movie-breaks!
Old 02-07-10, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I hate football too, but I'm gonna enjoy the free food that comes with my movie-breaks!
Maybe I'll go out and get some food to eat while watching movies!

I can't wait to watch Amadeus tomorrow, it's my favorite movie. The BD is awesome. Watched it back in October when I got my wisdom teeth out. I'm watching Wall Street right now, never seen it before. I'm planning to follow it with Of Mice & Men (1939), never seen that either, but got it from Netflix.
Old 02-07-10, 12:53 AM

Also, I'd like to add a thing to the checklist:

Watch a movie that is nominated THIS year
Old 02-07-10, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Also, I'd like to add a thing to the checklist:

Watch a movie that is nominated THIS year
Nice! I'll certainly be doing that. Another thing I thought might be cool (perhaps for next year) is watching all nominees in a particular category from any given year. Like all the art direction nominees for 1990, for eg.

I'll be watching my first film in the morning right after breakfast.
Old 02-07-10, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just rewatched Blade Runner. It's a crime that score didn't even get an Oscar nomination. Worse yet, E.T.'s score won that year.
Old 02-07-10, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Worse yet, E.T.'s score won that year.
brilliant score!
Old 02-07-10, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, the Academy Award Database shows Snow White, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, and Toy Story as Animated Feature Film Winners. Obviously the award didn't exist yet, but they did receive Oscars. What does everyone think about using those films as "counting" for the checklist?
Old 02-07-10, 10:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ yes they should count, they were recognized and awarded by the Academy - it's fair game IMO.
Old 02-08-10, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
So, the Academy Award Database shows Snow White, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, and Toy Story as Animated Feature Film Winners. Obviously the award didn't exist yet, but they did receive Oscars. What does everyone think about using those films as "counting" for the checklist?
Where do you see that? I just checked those and BEST ANIMATED FEATURE is not listed for any of those movies.

There are special awards, but they don't say Animated Feature.
Old 02-08-10, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

I made a boo-boo earlier. Rented Jigoku expecting it to be a Best Foreign Film winner. Instead I got it mixed up with Jigokumon. Thought they were the same movie! Oh well.

BTW, (Kind of a haunting irony) after I watched the movie, I went to IMDB to rank Jigoku (A movie about hell) and it just so happened that I cast the 666th vote.
Old 02-08-10, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do you see that? I just checked those and BEST ANIMATED FEATURE is not listed for any of those movies.

There are special awards, but they don't say Animated Feature.
I think he's talking about the fact that if you do a search here, choose Animated Feature Film under Award Category, and check the Winners Only box, the search results list the three films he mentioned. Personally, I'd say they don't count, but I never bother with the checklists, so it really doesn't matter to me either way.

Rob
Old 02-08-10, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by RobCA
I think he's talking about the fact that if you do a search here, choose Animated Feature Film under Award Category, and check the Winners Only box, the search results list the three films he mentioned.

Rob
Rob, thanks for clearing that up for me; that is exactly where I'm coming from. I mean, I know it doesn't really matter. I just thought I'd get other people's perspective.

I don't think watching non-Oscar nominated films (wild cards) should count, but people are going to count them anyway.

I guess I was just seeing what others thought about the inclusion. For me, logically, if the Academy Award Database includes it, that's good enough.
Old 02-08-10, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
Rob, thanks for clearing that up for me; that is exactly where I'm coming from. I mean, I know it doesn't really matter. I just thought I'd get other people's perspective.

I don't think watching non-Oscar nominated films (wild cards) should count, but people are going to count them anyway.

I guess I was just seeing what others thought about the inclusion. For me, logically, if the Academy Award Database includes it, that's good enough.
The animated feature film shouldn't count, because it only comes up if you search in a special way. Plus it's special achievement awards that don't say Best Animated Feature Film. However I guess it's just the checklist and doesn't matter except for personal goals. Also, I wouldn't include any wild cards to count towards the check list either. Those are mostly for winners.
Old 02-08-10, 01:31 PM

The animated feature film shouldn't count, because it only comes up if you search in a special way. Plus it's special achievement awards that don't say Best Animated Feature Film. However I guess it's just the checklist and doesn't matter except for personal goals. Also, I wouldn't include any wild cards to count towards the check list either. Those are mostly for winners.
I think I understand both sides. Same goes with the wild card stuff (although that to a lesser extent). Ultimately, it's all about personal goals and this forum just helps push me to watch things that I haven't watched in a long time or that I haven't seen yet.

Thanks for putting everything together with easy-to-use links. I, and I'm sure others, appreciate it.
Old 02-08-10, 04:55 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Though I'd toss my hat into the ring late this year, as I tend to use the month to catch up on the year's nominees and rewatch old favorites (upgrading the Best Picture collection to Blu-Ray!).

Doubt I'll get too crazy, but decided to have a list here s and g's....

Have fun, everyone!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.