Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I get rid of old DVDs I know I will never watch again?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only collect TV shows DVDs, and after year and a half of pretty much snagging every deal that came out I have a huge backlog and even a bigger collection that I won't touch once I watch them.

If I know I will never touch them again should I just get rid of them? I kind of came to the realization with PS2 games I need to unload that there is no point to collecting them as there will just come a day when you need to clear some room and you won't even get a $1 for all of them.

What would be the best way to unload them? I know ebay, but I don't want to waste lots of time making auctions when all I get is like $5-$10 (btw how much do DVDs typically resell for?)

Thanks
Old 12-08-09, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Should I get rid of old DVDs I know I will never watch again?

Sure, why not? As long as you know you'll never have interest in watching them. I did that recently with a few titles I'll never miss.
Old 12-08-09, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Like you said, you're not going to get a whole lot for them. Are you absolutely certain you'll never want to watch them again? Not even revisit an occasional episode/story arc? If you really do want to get rid of them, the easiest way is half.com. Just list them and you only have to occasionally update your inventory to keep it active. Sometimes I go in and randomly raise or lower the price a nickel just to keep it active.

And if you really want to get rid of them, you could donate them to a library or charity, or heck, even a relative. I've done this when I upgrade to a newer version sometimes.
Old 12-08-09, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I'll echo the thoughts of others in saying if you're not going to watch them again, you should unload them. Another option is to sell them via the exchange forum (or offer them up for trade). The thing to remember with that option is you must list prices.
Old 12-08-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Or give them away to family, friends, charity, bums...
Old 12-08-09, 10:52 AM

I find this to be a good practice, otherwise the damn things start to overrun your living space. I regularly trade in DVD's at a local record/DVD store for credit and this helps out tremendously on new release Tuesdays. Also, there is no shame in gifting your old discs for the holidays.
Old 12-08-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

If they're movies you're really never going to watch again, I would just get sell them while they're still worth something.

I sold many of my VHS tapes in the late ninties and was heartbroken I only got $2-$3 each after paying as much as $30 a pop. In hindsight I'm lucky I got that for them. It's impossible to give them away now.
Old 12-08-09, 11:05 AM

Sell them. However, your not going to get nowhere nearly as much as you originally paid.
Old 12-08-09, 11:48 AM
Banned

Weird question. LOL! It really all depends on what kind of collector you are. Or even if you are a collector. I must have hundreds of titles that I know I will never in my entire life watch again. Not because they are bad but because with the list of movies that I enjoy enough to watch over and over + the constant release of new movies + the finding of other titles I have never seen before = me never having the time even if I tried. But as a collector that doesn't matter to me. My goal as a collector is to own every title I enjoy. So it really just all depends on you. Everyone will have a different answer.
Old 12-08-09, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orangerunner
I sold many of my VHS tapes in the late ninties and was heartbroken I only got $2-$3 each after paying as much as $30 a pop. In hindsight I'm lucky I got that for them. It's impossible to give them away now.
Really? I consistently sell VHS. I've always been amazed at the titles I'm able to move, while DVD versions of the movies are readily available.

But yeah, sell what you won't watch. I just put up another batch of 15 DVD's the other day and can't wait to get rid of them.
Old 12-08-09, 01:19 PM
Banned

wow so far i'm the only one to say "keep them". lol.
Old 12-08-09, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are not going to watch them, then get rid of them
Old 12-08-09, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

How do you KNOW you'll never watch them again?

Biggest reason why I keep everything is that in the 70s I had almost every Sesame Street record ever put out. When I decided I was too old for them, I sold them all and my other kids' records at a garage sale- don't remember what I did with the money, but now I want the records back!
Old 12-08-09, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You know, this is a good thread to ask this question. What do you think is th best way to sell off the titles at are only worth $1-2 at best? I ws thinking of selling them in bundles of 10-12.
Old 12-08-09, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
How do you KNOW you'll never watch them again?

Biggest reason why I keep everything is that in the 70s I had almost every Sesame Street record ever put out. When I decided I was too old for them, I sold them all and my other kids' records at a garage sale- don't remember what I did with the money, but now I want the records back!
It depends on what you have.

When I look at some of my old VHS tapes I sold with titles like Funny Farm, The Great Outdoors, Sleepless in Seattle & Turner & Hooch, I can honestly say I KNOW I will not have any regrets that I ditched them!
Old 12-08-09, 05:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dkedvd
wow so far i'm the only one to say "keep them". lol.
Until now. I basically have the same attitude as you. I don't get any cable subscription and the reception for "free TV" sucks so bad that all I ever watch are DVDs + VHS. There are a few I've only seen once in my whole life, but since I paid for them and can't see getting that money back, I just keep 'em all. Even if I don't watch them, friends and family may still be interested.

If you do decide to get rid of your collection, try a garage sale or exchange forum before taking them to FYE or pawn shops. They give next to nothing for DVDs, whether it's OOP/rare or not.

Last edited by mike07; 12-08-09 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-08-09, 06:14 PM

If I can resell it for close to what I paid for it I usually resell it if I know I'll never bother with it again.

If it's resell value is peanuts though, I'd rather hold on to it.

I resell about 50% of what I buy after I've watched it and usually end up getting 90% of the value back.
Old 12-08-09, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I say if you have no interest in watching some of your stuff again, get rid of it.
Old 12-08-09, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes. If I didn't do that then my library would be -at least- 3X what it is now... When are you going to watch them?
Old 12-08-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally, I feel that whether you should keep them or get rid of them is something you need to decide for yourself, so I have no advice on that, but if you do decide to get rid of them, I highly recommend newtownvideo.com - their prices are great. I've sold them DVDs about a dozen times over the past two years, totalling well over a thousand dollars, and I've never had a problem.

Rob
Old 12-09-09, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Out of curiosity, OP, what are the titles that you are looking to unload? I'm not looking to buy, but I'm just curious what titles you know you will never watch again.
Old 12-09-09, 09:24 AM

If you do sell them just make sure to include postage costs.

Just a friendly reminder.

James
Old 12-09-09, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I do. The one's that I know I won't use anymore I try and trade them back in at the local store. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the movies that I trade back in.
Then I take the money and use it to buy other DVD's.
Old 12-09-09, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by R. Hilton
I find this to be a good practice, otherwise the damn things start to overrun your living space. I regularly trade in DVD's at a local record/DVD store for credit and this helps out tremendously on new release Tuesdays. Also, there is no shame in gifting your old discs for the holidays.
Really? There is no shame in giving loved ones used DVDs for the holidays?
Old 12-09-09, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
Out of curiosity, OP, what are the titles that you are looking to unload? I'm not looking to buy, but I'm just curious what titles you know you will never watch again.
Too many to list, all TV (or most of it) is half.com or ebay better way to go?

Some Include: Complete Series of Nip/tuck, Entourage (everything released on DVD so far I mean), Maybe Deadwood and Six Feet Under gift sets, Rome S1 and 2, Oz 1-6, 30 rock 1-3, probably dexter 1-3 once I watch S3, The Wire 1-5, Profit, Carnivale 1-2, Always Sunny in Philadelphia 1-4, Undeclared, Curb Your Enthusiam 1-6, Freaks and Geeks, Dead like Me 1-2, How I met your mother 1-2, Arrested Development 1-3, Da Ali G Complete Series, off the top of my head those are the ones I've watched, still have more but have a backlog, also have a bunch of single movie DVDs to sort through (I know I played nothing for most of these DVDs via Columbia house, eg Knocked up, Juno, are these even worth selling?)

I've always kept things for the sake of keeping them, but don't get what is the point since they just take up room and will become worthless down the line, and I really doubt I will ever watch any of these shows again.

Last edited by joecansee; 12-09-09 at 04:17 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.