Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I get rid of old DVDs I know I will never watch again?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Should I get rid of old DVDs I know I will never watch again?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Should I get rid of old DVDs I know I will never watch again?

Chances are if you havent watched them in ages.. you wont again.. but it can be hard to let go of them.

I sold about 50 to a local Blockbuster the other day and got about £0.20p a DVD.. not great!
Old 12-09-09, 06:14 PM

When I was young I loved Michael Jackson (insert lame joke here). When I got older I turned into a metalhead and wanted to get rid of my collection. The used CD store wouldn't take them and thank god they didn't. A few years later I pulled those out again and fell in love all over (insert lame joke here). I remained and am still a metalhead. Long hair and the works, but often you could see my driving around town blaring Dangerous or Blood on the Dancefloor.

The point is, there is always something to be gained from art and if it isnt taking up too much space, keep it around. Even if it is crap (like a lot of DVDs in my collection) there is still awesome stuff to be learned.
Old 12-09-09, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
You know, this is a good thread to ask this question. What do you think is th best way to sell off the titles at are only worth $1-2 at best? I ws thinking of selling them in bundles of 10-12.
Yard sale. My parents had one so I put some of mine in with theirs.

Sold 32/40 for $2.00 each. I'm talking like old versions too - Matrix snapper, Austin Powers 1 & 2 snappers, Dark City snapper, etc. I was thrilled to get that for them with no hassle. Probably would have sold them all but I was an hour and half late.

So, if you know someone who is in a decent area you may go that route or have one yourself if possible.

OP, get rid of 'em. If you're not going to touch them then what is the point in having them? I'm constantly selling DVDs and now Blu-rays for a profit, so I would probably still come out ahead if I sold the rest of my DVDs (145 of 'em) for $2 since I've made thousands in profit over the years from those I no longer wanted.

Just make sure before you start selling stuff you have boxes for them and know what the shipping cost will be. Good postage scales can be had on eBay for cheap.
Old 12-09-09, 07:05 PM

I agree with the majority of this thread - just sell the ones you know you're not gonna watch. It's better to go to FYE and unload them for $1 - $5 a pop than have them sitting there on your shelf collecting dust. You never know, there could be someone out there who is looking for a DVD you're wanting to get rid of. Plus if you get rid of them at FYE you can opt for store credit, where you'd get 25% more, which is really helpful when new releases come.
Old 12-10-09, 09:31 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

My experience has been that it is not worthwhile to sell most DVDs. Unless I'm going to make $30 or more per hour that I put into the listing, packaging, and driving to the post office, I'm not going to bother with it. And this is after all the ebay fees, amazon fees, paypal fees, and packaging costs of course.

Unless it's OOP and worth a bit, I just give stuff away.

Less hassle, and I make my friends and family happy.
Old 12-10-09, 10:31 AM

It`s sad that a lot of people spent thousands`s of dollars on dvds that they didn`t even watch but even sadder is getting pennies on the dollar for the investment. I hope people have learned thier lesson and don`t waste thousands of dollars on blu-ray. My brother spent 15,000 dollars on dvds since 2000 at best buy/circuit city and he be lucky to clear a few hundred dollars for his set.
Old 12-10-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Isny
If I can resell it for close to what I paid for it I usually resell it if I know I'll never bother with it again.

If it's resell value is peanuts though, I'd rather hold on to it.

I resell about 50% of what I buy after I've watched it and usually end up getting 90% of the value back.
Same here. You are practically giving them away with such low resell values. I rather enjoy having too much content to watch. One of the first big additions to my collection was the Alien Quadrilogy. That was several years ago, and I've only had time to watch it once.
Old 12-10-09, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeadMADMAN
When I was young I loved Michael Jackson (insert lame joke here)...
When I was young I loved Michael Jackson and he looooved me...

Anyway, back on topic, watch the ones you want to watch and then sell them on ebay. Love it or hate it, ebay is still the best place to sell items like DVDs. Or if you don't really want to do that, just give them to your local library and take the tax writeoff. Somebody will appreciate your donation.

I watched the Deadwood HBO series thanks to somebody who donated the three seasons to my local library.
Old 12-10-09, 11:42 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm with Trevor, its way to much work for no return. that being said i love taking advantage of others selling their collection on ebay and amazon
Old 12-10-09, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
My experience has been that it is not worthwhile to sell most DVDs. Unless I'm going to make $30 or more per hour that I put into the listing, packaging, and driving to the post office, I'm not going to bother with it. And this is after all the ebay fees, amazon fees, paypal fees, and packaging costs of course.

Unless it's OOP and worth a bit, I just give stuff away.

Less hassle, and I make my friends and family happy.
I've learned this too.

Selling that crap on Amazon on eBay has only led to headaches for me.

I've donated DVDs to the local library in the past.
Old 12-11-09, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've had a similar problem for awhile. Recently I've just been giving stuff away. I have several nieces and nephew's as well as friends and sisters that I usually just give sets away to once I buy complete series, blu-ray or decide that I don't need it in my library. I find that a lot of stuff doesn't have a whole lot of resale, so I might as well make new fans for TV shows I liked enough to purchase.
Old 12-11-09, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by bloopbleep
It`s sad that a lot of people spent thousands`s of dollars on dvds that they didn`t even watch but even sadder is getting pennies on the dollar for the investment. I hope people have learned thier lesson and don`t waste thousands of dollars on blu-ray. My brother spent 15,000 dollars on dvds since 2000 at best buy/circuit city and he be lucky to clear a few hundred dollars for his set.
I don't think many around these forums buy/collect DVD/Blu-Ray/VHS/LD because of future re-sell value. Many of us who pour our hard earned money into this hobby do so because we love Cinema.

To answer the OP, (like everyone else) I agree with selling off or giving away DVD's you don't watch anymore. I've been doing a lot of this over the past 2 years or so. The stuff I don't just dump locally at my local DVD shop, I give to my girlfriend or friends who I know want or will enjoy the DVD's.
Old 12-12-09, 08:37 PM

Would selling to Amazon/Secondspin be much better than ebay? From the look of things it would be much easier and less time consuming, also since this would be a big package, who pays for shipping? Can't find it on the FAQ.
Old 12-12-09, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by joecansee
Would selling to Amazon/Secondspin be much better than ebay? From the look of things it would be much easier and less time consuming, also since this would be a big package, who pays for shipping? Can't find it on the FAQ.
I stopped the eBay thing years ago... But, Amazon - for the most part - pays crapola. That said, I've sent in a box and it was a good experience. Had credit within a week of arrival and they cover the shipping cost. You need to print a shipping label at the end of the process.
Old 12-12-09, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Vlyger
I went to FYE a while back to sell back a used DVD set. It was the four disc "Best Of The New Scooby Doo Movies". I bought it at Big Lots this past summer for $6. The retail price is $65 new. The DVDs were all in perfect condition (no scratches or fingerprints), yet FYE was only going to offer me $3 cash. Can you believe that? I was expecting at least $10 back. So of course I kept it.

A week later I decided I would sell it on Half.com for $18. Within three days, it was sold. Boy, was I happy about the decision I made. I got 3X the amount I paid for it.

Lesson: Don't sell back used DVDs at FYE because they will rip you off big time.

FYE wasn't trying to rip you off. They recognized that folks were dumping Big Lots stock on them hoping to make a profit. I'm not saying that FYE has great buy-back prices, but to base that opinion on your example is ridiculous.
Old 12-12-09, 11:28 PM

Most of the Amazon price do look bad, but I was just looking at secondspin prices and some of them dont' seem bad, granted I don't know the resale value for these DVDs
Old 12-12-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Most of the Amazon price do look bad, but I was just looking at secondspin prices and some of them dont' seem bad, granted I don't know the resale value for these DVDs
The thing that's kept me from selling DVDs on amazon and ebay is the price point you stated and the fact that there are probably two dozen other people on either of those sites trying to sell the same DVD. Usually on ebay the sellers are selling the DVDs for $2-$3 and nobody's bidding on them. Amazon's a little better, but you're still not going to get that much. I've found that FYE and secondspin are decent places to trade stuff in to, even though other posters have said their trade-in prices aren't very good. I do agree their prices aren't great, although I don't think I would have done any better on amazon.
Old 12-13-09, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Too many to list, all TV (or most of it) is half.com or ebay better way to go?

Some Include: Complete Series of Nip/tuck, Entourage (everything released on DVD so far I mean), Maybe Deadwood and Six Feet Under gift sets, Rome S1 and 2, Oz 1-6, 30 rock 1-3, probably dexter 1-3 once I watch S3, The Wire 1-5, Profit, Carnivale 1-2, Always Sunny in Philadelphia 1-4, Undeclared, Curb Your Enthusiam 1-6, Freaks and Geeks, Dead like Me 1-2, How I met your mother 1-2, Arrested Development 1-3, Da Ali G Complete Series, off the top of my head those are the ones I've watched, still have more but have a backlog, also have a bunch of single movie DVDs to sort through (I know I played nothing for most of these DVDs via Columbia house, eg Knocked up, Juno, are these even worth selling?)

I've always kept things for the sake of keeping them, but don't get what is the point since they just take up room and will become worthless down the line, and I really doubt I will ever watch any of these shows again.
You might start by putting your location in your profile.
Somebody could see that they are in the same city as you and offer to buy a lot of that stuff for a decent price.
Bing Bang Boom... You're Done!
Old 12-13-09, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by jiffy97
Really? There is no shame in giving loved ones used DVDs for the holidays?
I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
Old 12-13-09, 08:31 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Excuse me? I made a valid and logical point. How would FYE know I initially bought the DVD set at Big Lots? I never told them anything. They were going to give me $3 for something that is worth a whole lot more. It doesn't matter, because I sold it myself for $18.

Let me ask you a question, cardsfan: Would you have sold it to FYE for $3? If you would then you are the one who is ridiculous.
Calm down Vlyger. Cardsfan was 100% correct.

FYE was getting tons of the sets, and it would have been foolish of them to pay more than $3.
Old 12-13-09, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's one thing to offer people $3 bucks for something but then to turn around and resell it for $25-$30 or whatever they were reselling it for seems wrong to me.
If they were inundated with these sets then their resell price should of been $10 or $12.
After all if the market was flooded, why did they think there would be a demand for these sets in the $25/$30 range when people were dumping them after paying $3 ?
Old 12-13-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now when I sell off stuff I pack it up and send the Cd's /Dvds across the country to Second Spin. Here in the Boston area I have found that recently in the last year or so Newbury Comics has lousy buy back prices.

I will go down to one of the stores with a huge bag of stuff and they turn around and give me $20, I have found that I can double this amount by selling thru Second Spin.
It is pretty sad that i have to send this stuff all the way across the country but
Newbury really has become stingy.The other thing I don't like about Newbury is that they don't tell you what they are giving you for each Item.
Old 12-13-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I went to FYE a while back to sell back a used DVD set. It was the four disc "Best Of The New Scooby Doo Movies". I bought it at Big Lots this past summer for $6. The retail price is $65 new. The DVDs were all in perfect condition (no scratches or fingerprints), yet FYE was only going to offer me $3 cash. Can you believe that? I was expecting at least $10 back. So of course I kept it.

A week later I decided I would sell it on Half.com for $18. Within three days, it was sold. Boy, was I happy about the decision I made. I got 3X the amount I paid for it.

Lesson: Don't sell back used DVDs at FYE because they will rip you off big time.

How did they try to rip you off? You dont think you were the only genius that tried to sell that copy of Scooby Doo that they bought for $6 back to FYE, do you?
Old 12-13-09, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
How did they try to rip you off? You dont think you were the only genius that tried to sell that copy of Scooby Doo that they bought for $6 back to FYE, do you?
Also asking for cash when trading in the set as well.

Are people really surprised with how Trade-In Values/Prices work at places like FYE, Gamestop and other places? Many go by stock (if they have 30 copies of Lost: Season 1, why pay good money for MORE), some go by rarity/OOP status, and so forth.

Keep in mind these sort of places have to make some sort of money. Sure I paid $60 for a game that they'll give me $10 in credit for, but how long has that game been out? Is there a newer edition out? How many copies are currently in store, which have already been bought back?

Also why pay good money for a DVD you might not sell back to your customers? At that point you are compiling crap in your store. What if all was good in the world and you got $15-18 for your Scooby Doo set at FYE? You'd be happy of course, but what if FYE was unable to sell that set Used and it was just left to rot on their shelves? Not your problem, but as a business it's not good.

It's far from a rip-off, it's a business. Some people with more patience and care for how much they get back will individually sell things on Ebay/Amazon Marketplace. Some don't care and just dump it all in one go at $2-3 a disc. In the end it's their own personal choice.

Want to talk about Trade-In's been somewhat questionable store-to-store? Traded in a game to Gamestop for $9, which I got $12 in credit for after a special bonus offer. Found out days later than Toys R' Us was offering $25 in store credit for the same game, without bonuses.

So depending on your definition of being ripped off pertaining to this thread, I got ripped off. But anyone who is realistically thinking they will get close to what they paid for in trading in any item is being silly. Ever seen what dealers offer you when trading in your car towards a new purchase at a car dealership?
Old 12-13-09, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chances are you're going to get more selling it privately over trying to get $ from any secondhand store.

Craigslist would be a good starting point.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.