Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-09, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

The only time I can really remember an experiment like that was on Project Greenlight (pretty sure). Each director was given the same very vague script and was asked to film it whether way they wanted. I guess it's not exactly the same thing.

Herschell Gordon Lewis' commentaries are always entertaining. I listened to quite a few last year. His films are always such a hoot. The opening of Gruesome Twosome is just so nutty!
Old 10-22-09, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Trevor
He was a lot of fun. Introduced the film, answered questions after, even sang the theme song with us, all verses.

I really enjoyed it, knew it would be campy and low budget, but there were more real quality bits of it than I thought. Audience really enjoyed him, and we got to see the trailer of his new film coming later this year.

Only my first or second exposure to his films (think I saw Bloodfeast), but I enjoyed it enough to make sure that my mainly unwatched Something Weird collection has a few of his films.
I like Two Thousand Maniacs! more each time I watch it. The first time I saw it was back when Joe Bob Briggs had his drive-in show on The Movie Channel (I remember he showed Blood Feast too). I'd heard of the films but never had a chance to see them before that.

I have three unwatched H.G. Lewis films I picked up recently that I'm trying to save for the B movie challenge (if I can wait til then).

Originally Posted by clckworang
Herschell Gordon Lewis' commentaries are always entertaining. I listened to quite a few last year. His films are always such a hoot. The opening of Gruesome Twosome is just so nutty!
Is that the one with the wig dummy heads?
Old 10-22-09, 08:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

it's too bad the audio recording sound levels for the 'Two Thousand Maniacs!' commentary is a tad inconsistent, some of the participants sound like they are in adjacent room. but on a whole it's a great commentary noting that the town where they shot is now part of the DisneyWorld complex and obviousily no longer there.
Old 10-22-09, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Is that the one with the wig dummy heads?
That's the one.

Here it is for the uninitiated:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AZeM5SW0gzg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AZeM5SW0gzg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by clckworang; 10-22-09 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-22-09, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy have I been busy at work the last couple days. I just checked in and things went crazy!

- JerryKILL quit?
- In-depth sperm and cum discussion? Really?
- Trevor met HGL? COOL!

- And for the record, Nightmare 2 has been established in the past that it was made and intended to be a homo-erotic film. I didn't get that when I was younger, which is probably a good thing. I also love all of the Nightmare films. Best boxset I ever bought. But I'm a child of the '80s, and Jason and Freddy were gods in mine and my friends eyes. Those films rule.

I'm missing the boards a bit, but it looks like a lot (not quite all) of us are having great fun! I'll try to hit my list hard this weekend.
Old 10-22-09, 08:45 PM

Trevor - I should have asked if you were going to the AFI - I might have joined you.
Old 10-22-09, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
it's too bad the audio recording sound levels for the 'Two Thousand Maniacs!' commentary is a tad inconsistent, some of the participants sound like they are in adjacent room. but on a whole it's a great commentary noting that the town where they shot is now part of the DisneyWorld complex and obviousily no longer there.
I think most of those Something Weird commentaries were recorded in the director's house or apartment or a hotel room. I know I've heard outside traffic and telephones ringing in the background of some of them. It adds to the charm of the low budget movies.

Last edited by Dimension X; 10-22-09 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-22-09, 08:52 PM

it's too bad the recommended 'Shaun of the Dead' viewing is not this weekend since both Landmark E. Street is doing a midnight screening (Fri/Sat) and the AFI Silver is presenting it along with the Silver Spring Zombie Walk on Saturday at 10pm

Last edited by Giles; 10-22-09 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-22-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Death Bed: The Bed That Eats - DVD - Dir: George Barry. Cast: Demene Hall, a killer Sealy Posturepedic.

** - This is just one of those movies. It seems totally ridiculous but it's just a whole lotta fun. I laugh like a school girl from the Philippines every time I watch it. It's a great party film. Although, I must admit I did stab my mattress 9 times after viewing this. Ya'know, just in case..

I just noticed this picture, and it made me very proud. Oh, and I still love the thought of you stabbing your mattress...
Old 10-22-09, 09:17 PM

Well, I'm finally getting some days off (don't have to work until Monday). Only had one day off in the last 31 days, so that's really limited my viewing. Hopefully, I can catch up a bit now, but there's no way in hell I'll be hitting 100 this year.
Old 10-22-09, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You die when you cum.

But that never stops the dudes from doing them in the butt.
I haven't checked this thread all day, so when I went to the last page on this thread from my CP (page 20) this was the first post and I was.... completely speechless.

But before my head exploded, I did realize that LickTheABCs wrote this, so it became more of a "oh...now I understand..." moment
Old 10-22-09, 09:43 PM

^ I have no idea what LickTheABC's was referring to, but it sounds very Lynchian 'Blue Velvet thing to say.
Old 10-22-09, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I think most of those Something Weird commentaries were recorded in the director's house or apartment or a hotel room. I know I've heard outside traffic and telephones ringing in the background of some of them. It adds to the charm of the low budget movies.
The commentaries involving Henenlotter (As interviewer) tend to do this. BTW, I've never realized just how many Something Weird DVDs have commentaries!

Another "BTW", Another Angels/Yankees game is preventing me from watching horror movies.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 10-22-09 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-22-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Numes
But before my head exploded, I did realize that LickTheABCs wrote this, so it became more of a "oh...now I understand..." moment
Old 10-22-09, 10:50 PM

Am I the only one who is lukewarm on Werewolf Of London? I haven’t watched it in a few years and thought I’d revisit it for the challenge and while it has it’s moments I pretty much find it a bore. A 30’s Universal werewolf flick should be right up my alley but I never really get into it.
Old 10-22-09, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chad
Well, I must be in the minority because I always make a concerted effort to get in a healthy mixture of every decade ...especially the older stuff. Practically anything post 1990 an eyebrow is raised and extra research goes into it before watching.

But many of the 2nd and 3rd tier titles from the Universal sets are living proof that being older doesn't necessarily make it a classic. One thing that's always bothered me is how they'd infuse too much comedy in the '30s - '50s films. For example, in "Horror Island" Fuzzy Moran does the same 'ol stuttering 'buh, buh, buh' routine in his role as the goofy sidekick just like the guy from Freaks did. And overall the comedic routines take up a good chunk of the film's one-hour running time. Apparently audiences were easily amused back then ....today it's just obnoxious.
I think Horror Island is pretty fun for what it is, a light-Old Dark House flick, nothing amazing but fun. I do tire of the comic stuff in the a lot of the 30's horrors.
Old 10-23-09, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I just watched Let the Right One In for the first time tonight. Wow. I'm disappointed in myself for not checking it out earlier. Really just a great movie.
Old 10-23-09, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryKILL
Don't have to worry about my contributions anymore.
...and so the Challenge claims its first victim. How many more must die before you stop this madness, Chad?

You die when you cum.

But that never stops the dudes from doing them in the butt.
I finally found something worthy of a signature.
Old 10-23-09, 03:04 AM

Just watched a dozen zombie movies since last night.

I pulled all of my blu-rays out of my garage last night (I moved recently so all my stuff is still in boxes), and figured I would try to get through all my Blu horror. Most of it has never been watched. So right now I am watching some Masters of Horror episodes, that have been shrink wrapped since I bought them a long time ago.
Old 10-23-09, 07:03 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Ghoul
Am I the only one who is lukewarm on Werewolf Of London? I haven’t watched it in a few years and thought I’d revisit it for the challenge and while it has it’s moments I pretty much find it a bore. A 30’s Universal werewolf flick should be right up my alley but I never really get into it.
A lot of the Universal titles are like that. Except for the original Dracula, Frankenstein & Wolfman movies, there isn't a whole lot after that.
Old 10-23-09, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Yeah someone quit and it wasn't because of Edtheripper or I.
Old 10-23-09, 07:07 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I just had a Ingrid Pitt double feature last night. Countess Dracula & Vampire Lovers.
Two gothic movies which Vampire Lovers seems to be the better of the two.
The good thing is I just surpassed my all-time high total of 51 which I hit last year.
I have been able to increase my total with every passing year.

Isn't there a new Countess Bathory movie comming out soon to theatres?

Last edited by JOE29; 10-23-09 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-23-09, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
- And for the record, Nightmare 2 has been established in the past that it was made and intended to be a homo-erotic film.
Interviews with the director say it wasn't anything he was aware of until other people told him.
Old 10-23-09, 07:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just watched Let's Scare Jessica to Death for the first time and now I'm kicking myself for having never seen it before. Lots of beautiful imagery, complimented by a great score and sound design. Such an amazingly well done film. I will be recommending it to people for years to come.
Old 10-23-09, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I just watched Let the Right One In for the first time tonight. Wow. I'm disappointed in myself for not checking it out earlier. Really just a great movie.
That's how I felt too. I heard all the hype and was like, "Yeah,I'll watch it someday." It really amazed me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.