Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-09, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Darkgod
Yeah someone quit and it wasn't because of Edtheripper or I.
I'm quitting because of you.
Old 10-23-09, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

he's just mad cause he got cyber called out and took his toys with him. is not like he couldn't watch anything he wanted and talked about it. No movie for me last night as I went to see Costa-Gavras and his latest film plus a couple of lectures he was giving.
Old 10-23-09, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by JOE29
A lot of the Universal titles are like that. Except for the original Dracula, Frankenstein & Wolfman movies, there isn't a whole lot after that.
I love most other 30's Universal's, that's why I find it strange.

I think there are a lot of great Universal 30's horrors, The Black Cat, The Raven, Murders In The Rue Morgue, Dracula's Daughter. In fact it's my favorite time period for horror period.
Old 10-23-09, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

If you're still following along, JerryKILL, come on back! I'm disappointed that he jumped out so quickly, considering he was an active participant. Earlier in the thread, he commented on something from my list from the other thread.

There's something to be said about horror challenge participants. With so much free time spent watching horror films, surely it has an impact on one's emotional well-being. We all probably act (and react to things) a little differently in October.
Old 10-23-09, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
If you're still following along, JerryKILL, come on back! I'm disappointed that he jumped out so quickly, considering he was an active participant. Earlier in the thread, he commented on something from my list from the other thread.

There's something to be said about horror challenge participants. With so much free time spent watching horror films, surely it has an impact on one's emotional well-being. We all probably act (and react to things) a little differently in October.
You take that back before I stab you!

The one big difference for me is that I'm starting to get more run down. Last night was the second night in a row that I fell asleep with only about 10 minutes left in a movie. Now, I understood the falling asleep thing while watching Captivity, but when you crash out during the last segment of Black Sabbath, something is wrong.

Speaking of which, I'm trying to decide whether I should save the recording I made of Black Sabbath from MGM-HD. Any opinions on the current DVD, which I've never seen? Is it just the original Italian version? And the Italian version doesn't have Karloff's own voice in his segment? I just started looking into the differences between cuts. It's confusing! Someone needs to release a definitive version with both cuts. Maybe for the eventual Blu-ray ...
Old 10-23-09, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Ghoul
I love most other 30's Universal's, that's why I find it strange.

I think there are a lot of great Universal 30's horrors, The Black Cat, The Raven, Murders In The Rue Morgue, Dracula's Daughter. In fact it's my favorite time period for horror period.
I like the 30s also. In fact, I'm so tired(woke up at 3am because I can't sleep since I'm sick), that I did a bar graph of my horror titles sorted by movie release year. Probably missing a couple hundreds of titles but it shouldn't skew it that badly with them not in it.

Sorry for not cropping and whatnot, but man am I tired. Shrinking it down also made the years hard to read.
Old 10-23-09, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes. Arise from the dead, JerryKILL. Arise and KILL!

Old 10-23-09, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I can relate to an extent. I've definitely found myself getting more aggravated over simple and stupid things. I've always had a bit of a temper but I found myself ready to punch two ladies in the face for taking through The Stepfather the other day.
Old 10-23-09, 09:37 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
Trevor - I should have asked if you were going to the AFI - I might have joined you.
It was sort of a last minute decision, and my first time to the AFI. Great theater! I became a member, so I'll have to go at least once a month now to get my money's worth.
Originally Posted by Giles
it's too bad the recommended 'Shaun of the Dead' viewing is not this weekend since both Landmark E. Street is doing a midnight screening (Fri/Sat) and the AFI Silver is presenting it along with the Silver Spring Zombie Walk on Saturday at 10pm
I would so be there if I wasn't already committed to the festival in Fairfax. 100+ horror fans dressed as zombies doing the walk for a few blocks? Awesome!
Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
That's how I felt too. I heard all the hype and was like, "Yeah,I'll watch it someday." It really amazed me.
I saw the trailer when it was first out in limited release and was instantly sold. Never found it until it's release on DVD, but this was one instance where the trailer did not let me down. What a freaking great film.
Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
Just watched Let's Scare Jessica to Death for the first time and now I'm kicking myself for having never seen it before. Lots of beautiful imagery, complimented by a great score and sound design. Such an amazingly well done film. I will be recommending it to people for years to come.
I was 5 when this was released, and remember being 'scared to death' by the trailers. Have always meant to see it, but never have iirc. A Jessica broke my heart a couple years back, so I'll probably cry while watching it, and maybe root for the 'bad guy(s)'.
Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Yes. Arise from the dead, JerryKILL. Arise and KILL!

That is perfect.
Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I can relate to an extent. I've definitely found myself getting more aggravated over simple and stupid things. I've always had a bit of a temper but I found myself ready to punch two ladies in the face for taking through The Stepfather the other day.
If thoughts could kill, I would be mass murderer of thousands of movie goers over the years.
Old 10-23-09, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
If thoughts could kill, I would be mass murderer of thousands of movie goers over the years.
I'm not used to obnoxious theater goers because my wife and I usually hit the theater for morning showings on Wednesdays. Typically, it's either movie fans like us or not a soul aside from us. That's why I was so surprised to find this obnoxious pair. Two older ladies too, so they really should have known better. What amplified it was that it was them and us in the theater...just 4 people at the screening. On the way out, the older of the two commented that she'd managed to stay awake through the whole movie. I replied that it's tough to sleep when you're talking through the whole freaking movie. On the plus side, at least we scored 2 free passes so we're gonna hit Saw VI this morning for nothing.
Old 10-23-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ZOMBIEDAVE
I ordered Fear Itself and Masters of Horror on Tuesday thru Amazon and will get it today with 2 day shipping (I Hope).

I've never heard of Fear Itself until seeing it here and MOH was expensive but is more affordable then the BD.
You're just looking at the wrong time. The Blu-rays of MOH are frequently on sale at Amazon. I know I got all 4 volumes for about $10 each when I purchased them.
Old 10-23-09, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by clckworang
You're just looking at the wrong time. The Blu-rays of MOH are frequently on sale at Amazon. I know I got all 4 volumes for about $10 each when I purchased them.
There was a sale at some point giving all four 4 blu-rays (13 films) for $20 total.
Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
On the plus side, at least we scored 2 free passes so we're gonna hit Saw VI this morning for nothing.
Sweet, except for the Saw part.

In between the Festival films, I think I'm going to catch Zombieland and Paranormal Activity tomorrow.
Old 10-23-09, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by JOE29
I just had a Ingrid Pitt double feature last night. Countess Dracula & Vampire Lovers.

Two gothic movies which Vampire Lovers seems to be the better of the two.
I would agree with this. Countess Dracula is good, but Vampire Lovers really showcased everyone's talent, especially that of Pitt. Plus the story had a better flow. It was a pretty edgy movie for its time.

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
Just watched Let's Scare Jessica to Death for the first time and now I'm kicking myself for having never seen it before. Lots of beautiful imagery, complimented by a great score and sound design. Such an amazingly well done film. I will be recommending it to people for years to come.
I have to rewatch this sometime. Everyone seems to like it, but I wasn't impressed, which surprised me because I usually love this sort of film. Maybe I just looked at it in the wrong light.
Old 10-23-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There was a sale at some point giving all four 4 blu-rays (13 films) for $20 total.

In between the Festival films, I think I'm going to catch Zombieland and Paranormal Activity tomorrow.
Maybe that was the sale I used ... Can't remember for sure, but they can be had for quite cheap.

I enjoyed both of those films at the theater. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun watching them. I just hope you get a good audience for Paranormal Activity.
Old 10-23-09, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Best part is, we watched Saw for free and then as we were leaving the theater I was handed an envelope with two more passes. Score!
Old 10-23-09, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue
I would agree with this. Countess Dracula I have to rewatch this sometime. Everyone seems to like it, but I wasn't impressed, which surprised me because I usually love this sort of film. Maybe I just looked at it in the wrong light.
I just watched it this month, and I wasn't impressed at all. I have seen it on more than a couple lists of the 100 best horrror movies/scariest movies or whatever. I just couldn't get into it at all, maybe I'll check it out again next year and have a completely different experience.

I just updated my blog with my thoughts on 33 more movies. I am at 25 pages in the word document I've been writing in, and will hit 15,000 words with the next movie I watch.
Old 10-23-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Speaking of pages...we're over 800 posts. About time for a new thread.
Old 10-23-09, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Currently watching the Night Of The Living Dead remake w/ commentary by Tom Savini. The movie is an old favorite of mine and it helped get me into horror at a young age. The commentary track from Savini is decent so far.
Old 10-23-09, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
...and so the Challenge claims its first victim. How many more must die before you stop this madness, Chad?
My threads tend to have that effect.

Seriously though, I hope he decides to rejoin the festivities.

I've always imagined this as a relaxed atmosphere where you're just hanging out and kicking back with a six pack while discussing the unhealthy amounts of horror films being watched. Sometimes emotions run high and (not that it took place here) a little ball busting occasionally takes place. What I'm getting at is you're severely affecting the stats, man!

Originally Posted by ParadiseVendors
I just watched it this month, and I wasn't impressed at all. I have seen it on more than a couple lists of the 100 best horrror movies/scariest movies or whatever. I just couldn't get into it at all, maybe I'll check it out again next year and have a completely different experience.
I've always felt it was one of their lesser efforts. That's why I'll be doing a The Vampire Lovers / Lust for a Vampire double-feature.

Originally Posted by ZOMBIEDAVE
The only thing that has made me angry is the Netflix slowness.
That, and the orders from the various Halloween sales being backordered are slowing me down. In fact, a good chunk of this year's viewings are from orders placed last October that didn't arrive until after Halloween.

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Speaking of pages...we're over 800 posts. About time for a new thread.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll try and get a new one up tonight.
Old 10-23-09, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is why I don't frequent the Alamo Drafthouse very often. The food servers have a knack for asking you if you need anything right when a vital line is being spoken. And all these cool festivals that they put on end up sucking for me since 90% of the time they play a film on DVD. That's how I wanna spend my Saturday night, watching Lost Boys at movie theatre, as a washed out, poorly projected DVD...

Should have turned part of that last line into a R. Dogs line I guess.
Old 10-23-09, 07:09 PM

So how many of us are jumpers?

I'll admit that I'm a wimp and jump/flinch at almost all the jump scares in any movie. Just had a particularly effective one at the beginning of End of the Line, but I'll bring that to it's thread.

I imagine that is the principal reason we all watch these films, right? The psychological impact of being scared is what we crave.
Old 10-23-09, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I nearly jumped out of my skin last night watching Quarantine. I'd seen it before(and the original, for that matter) so I knew what was coming. I think it was the fact that it was about 1am and I was watching it on the computer. Not used to being that close to the screen.
Old 10-23-09, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My co-worker is. In fact after watching 13 Ghosts, if that's the one with the house full of glass or mirrors, he said jumped and let out a little scream after he got up when it was done and caught a glimpse of his reflection in his sliding glass door.

On the other hand, I'm not. I grew up watching scary stuff at a really young age because I was into monsters. I also read UFO, Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, and ghosts books. The only thing that really bothered me, and still does to this day, are the Grays(small gray aliens with large heads and large almond shaped eyes).

Unless it's a really bright and sunny day and I have some other people with me, I'll avert my eyes if I'm watching something like a documentary and they throw an image of them up. The alien from Xtro 3 is similar and the first time I watched it, it was at night in bed and the rest of the family had gone to Japan. Watching that movie sucked but I wasn't about to turn it off and I did look away when the alien showed up.

I have one other bad memory from that bedroom. A few years ago, I was 28 or something, and on the other side of the room was a remote control truck sitting on the dresser. I wake up at around 3 am to a noise as if someone was gently swatting the antenna over and over, same motion as dribbling a basketball. If you've ever had a remote control car or something, you know the sound.

Eventually it stops and then there was a gentle knocking sound on the wall that very slowly, and over the course of a few minutes, went up the wall, across the ceiling towards me, to just a foot down on the wall from the ceiling right above my head.

I have no clue what it was, I kept my eyes shut as I just listening to it and didn't move a muscle. I could've been the brave guy that reached over and fumbled trying to get the lamp on but I was perfectly content with being a coward that's playing dead.

Ghost movies don't scare me at all but that did.
Old 10-23-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I spit my coffe out during a scene from The Descent. I'm sure it was all sound-FX driven. Darn Ascends...

There's also a couple good jump scenes in Halloween. I always forget where they are, and I like that, so I always get the pay off.
Old 10-23-09, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the scene where leatherface comes out of the record room in TCM2 always gets me...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.