Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

terminator salvation 12/1

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-09, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: terminator salvation 12/1

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Same thing was said about DVDs, tons of space for special features, subtitles in tons of languages, audio tracks in tons of languages, etc. My wife comes from another land, so the subtitles in her language would be nice but 99% of the time they aren't her language. Then there's the odd movie like Them that will have it.
Yup, DVD features settled into a predictable pattern of commentary, deleted scenes, a few featurettes, and Eng, Fre, and Spa subtitles (at best).

My concern, as someone who is about to jump into BluRay is that the same thing will happen again.

I see this dumbing down of DVD features as a way to make sub-par BluRays look better. If the DVD looks like shit and has 0 extras, suddenly a BluRay with decent picture and a few extras seems awesome. And that is not what I'm looking for if I'm gonna get a new player, TV and video library.
Old 09-10-09, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
This is just the natural progression of technology. Studios want you to buy the newest form of media that is not as devalued as dvd is now. Seriously, just go Blu-ray, or if you don't want to, your bitching is falling on empty ears.
yes i agree, but i think part of the dvd devaluations comes from studios releasing bad barebones releases like warner has been doing with
many dvd releases long before bluray showed up.
this discs end up in the wallmart bins so fast, because customers realize they
simply don`t have more value in terms of content

and seriously, i wish it would be so simple to just go blu! dilemma is, that
bluray is not always the best release, many blurays still don`t have nice collectors packaging yet, some are barebones, etc, etc.
for example i just bought friday the 13th part 7&8 deluxe editions with nice
lenticular slipsleeves. the bluray versions for earlier parts didnt come with
sleeves and 7&8 are not even scheduled for release on blu! i also just got an american werewolf in london full moon edition with a nice sleeve, bluray didnt have one. anyhow no format wins in all aspects.
it is not so simple to just switch, because each format still has its advantages.
all these comments like "just buy a bluray player for 200 bucks" make me think: geeee...why didnt i just think of that
if i would switch than i would switch completely and only purchase blu, but in my present situation there would still be many disadvantages.
just because terminator has the better blu version is definitely not enough
incentive for me to make changes.
i should be able to live with a 5 dollar trash bin terminator barebones theatrical version dvd
just money saved on a not so great movie
however i still feel warner is making a dumb move and it wouldnt have hurt them to release the dc on dvd. i highly doubt this decision will increase
revenues
Old 09-10-09, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
Thanks for the pointless post. Please stick to the thread topic.
Um, the thread topic is about Terminator Salvation and somehow turned into a DVD vs. Blu pissing match. The thread topic is long gone. Lighten up Francis.
Old 09-10-09, 08:53 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by cerial442
Um, the thread topic is about Terminator Salvation and somehow turned into a DVD vs. Blu pissing match. The thread topic is long gone. Lighten up Francis.
It never was as evident by the very first post.
Old 09-10-09, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I was Blu at this point, I would be grateful to be able to have the director's cut. But I would also still view this as an apparent slight by Warner to the DVD-only crowd. I suppose it is "just business," but that doesn't alleviate the sting.

(As others have mentioned, though, certain Blu-ray releases have also gotten the short end: Where are the special features for Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2, the unrated cut of Live Free or Die Hard?)

Yes, I could pick up a BD player for around $100, but I'm always very careful about the hardware I purchase. I buy the brands I trust and the machines that get solid reviews, not any old player because it happens to be ultra cheap.

I will not be getting the DVD of Terminator Salvation. And if this is the new trend in home video releases, I may have to rethink future DVD purchases.

--THX
Old 09-10-09, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just find it hard to believe that people have a problem with people having a problem about this.

I don't understand why anyone cares unless you are a DVD consumer.
Old 09-10-09, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clckworang
...you know what will probably happen? The movie will be released again, but this time as the director's cut edition. I have no doubt that the DC will eventually be released on DVD, but DVD customers' habits have also shown a willingness to repurchase titles...
i concur. im guessing a complete (for now lol) boxset might be in the works along with a 3-disk sd release sooner or later.

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
...Seriously, just go Blu-ray, or if you don't want to, your bitching is falling on empty ears.
i believe chris, as well as maybe a few others, are attempting to thwart your assumption. as in, if enough people complain loud enough, sd releases will be better at the least. and at the most, maybe blu-ray will die off. just a guess though.
Old 09-10-09, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
I just find it hard to believe that people have a problem with people having a problem about this.
Agreed. Backing Blu-ray and the advancement of technology is perfectly fine. I envy those who have it, and look forward to the day I finally get it.

But the BD crowd can't expect the DVD crowd to be happy as they're excluded from the director's cut of a movie. They have to know there are going to be many upset people.

--THX
Old 09-10-09, 11:00 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
Agreed. Backing Blu-ray and the advancement of technology is perfectly fine. I envy those who have it, and look forward to the day I finally get it.

But the BD crowd can't expect the DVD crowd to be happy as they're excluded from the director's cut of a movie. They have to know there are going to be many upset people.

--THX
I don't think 3 mins can save a movie unless it was huge ass pivotal answer to something in the film. I heavily doubt TS can be saved by 3 mins. To me personally it'd be about the features...not the 3 mins of something filmed by McG.
Old 09-10-09, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your first link doesn't work, I got this:
ADODB.Recordset error '800a0e7d'

The connection cannot be used to perform this operation. It is either closed or invalid in this context.

/harris_poll/index.asp, line 129
The second one says 6/1 not 9/1 as you stated. Also, the vast majority of those I know with Blu-Ray are using their PS3s, if it makes a difference.
Old 09-11-09, 05:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mod note: I don't have time to sort through it now but this thread is looking like a disaster. I'll see if I can clean it up later but maybe it's just better to kill this one off and let a new one start as the release date gets closer. I know it is going to get harder and harder NOT to do it as more and more things are released on the two formats w/ different specs... but please try to keep the blu v. standard "debate" to a minimum.