DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 01:46 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume XI

Originally Posted by Aces_High
Oops one more thing-The Rise & Fall of ECW that was packaged with the R&F of WCW dvd at Best Buy, was it in anyway different from the original release?
Nothing new just exactly the same 2 disc amaray release of ECW R&F dvd,
dude if you're looking for some oddball wwe dvd's here another one that may interests you

(sorry for the blurry pic c/o of my iphone)

Anyways as for the Smackdown here are the pics for those who are intrigued w/ the 2-pack bundle.

Closer look of 2-Pack (Amaray rerelease of Raw X DVD)

thanks for looking!
Old 09-20-09, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by throwback
Anyways as for the Smackdown here are the pics for those who are intrigued w/ the 2-pack bundle.

thanks for looking!
What is the UPC#? Majority of FYE / T.W.E.C. stores near my area didnt stocked this.
Old 09-20-09, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by xage
What is the UPC#? Majority of FYE / T.W.E.C. stores near my area didnt stocked this.
The UPC # is 94814
Old 09-20-09, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone confirm if FYE is going to have a steelbook of SummerSlam 2009?
Old 09-20-09, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
Can anyone confirm if FYE is going to have a steelbook of SummerSlam 2009?
I thought it was exclusive to Europe, through Silvervision.
Old 09-20-09, 04:53 AM

Nothing new just exactly the same 2 disc amaray release of ECW R&F dvd,
dude if you're looking for some oddball wwe dvd's here another one that may interests you

(sorry for the blurry pic c/o of my iphone)

thanks for looking!
You would think that if they was going to put the Smackdown DVD in a bundle set with a Raw, they would have used the latest one. Even though they are both the 10th Anniversary sets of their respective shows, they would get more money buy using the 15th Anniversary Raw DVD becuase more kids will see Cena on the front of Raw and then look at Rey Mysterio on the Smackdown one and buy it...
Old 09-20-09, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by dillkid
You would think that if they was going to put the Smackdown DVD in a bundle set with a Raw, they would have used the latest one. Even though they are both the 10th Anniversary sets of their respective shows, they would get more money buy using the 15th Anniversary Raw DVD becuase more kids will see Cena on the front of Raw and then look at Rey Mysterio on the Smackdown one and buy it...
The Raw 15th set is still a big seller after all this time while the 10th ann. is probably excess stock that they are burning off.

K-Mart has SummerSlam 2009 for $9.99, I don't know if that's a misprint or what.
Old 09-20-09, 11:54 AM

is that raw 10th anniversary dvd any good, was there a raw live show like they did for the 15th anniversary or is it just a clip dvd, can anybody tell me whats on it and what they all did for the 10th anniversary
Old 09-20-09, 12:05 PM

According to Mike Johnson of PWInsider.com work is still continuing on the Jeff Hardy DVD (as of Friday) in Stamford, CT; however if the set is to be pulled then the most likely replacement will be Chris Jericho match compilation.

I don’t suppose we will hear any more on this situation until after September 30th.

They also could just bury Jeff in the set: Self Destruction or Rise and Fall style!
Old 09-20-09, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by chuckliddell
is that raw 10th anniversary dvd any good, was there a raw live show like they did for the 15th anniversary or is it just a clip dvd, can anybody tell me whats on it and what they all did for the 10th anniversary
It was just like the old Slammy Award shows held in what was by then know as The World in Times Square (You probably remeber it better as WWF New York), and I think it was held on a Tuesday Night. It was quite a terrible show actualy, becuase there was know Stone Cold, Rock, Mick Foley etc who was supposed to be accepting the awards. The awards were like Best diva, Biggest Raw superstar etc. The moments are most probably ALL on the Raw 15 dvd and are probably just clips and not full. I would avoid unless you are trying to com plete the collection
Old 09-20-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

It was just like the old Slammy Award shows held in what was by then know as The World in Times Square (You probably remeber it better as WWF New York), and I think it was held on a Tuesday Night. It was quite a terrible show actualy, becuase there was know Stone Cold, Rock, Mick Foley etc who was supposed to be accepting the awards. The awards were like Best diva, Biggest Raw superstar etc. The moments are most probably ALL on the Raw 15 dvd and are probably just clips and not full. I would avoid unless you are trying to com plete the collection
Ahhh, I remember eating there a couple of times. Best part was the random superstars that would wander around. The last time I was there Big Show went up to the table next to us, and asked, "May I join you?" and sat down with them.
Old 09-20-09, 01:00 PM

Oh yeah, Raw X show was a complete let down. The only good thing is it brought Shane back to TV (at a time when he was sorely missed) and it started the Austin return angle, which Eric Bischoff promising the return of Austin at the next PPV.

If you're buying the SD dvd, get the bundled one...it's worth the extra 3-4 bucks. If you're not, don't go out of your way to get it just for the Raw X dvd.
Old 09-20-09, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by sliccric2006
The UPC # is 94814
Thanks sliccric2006, but it looks like more of a SKU

Marketing standpoint (In My Opinion) - It just doesnt fit nor match if you bundle a "15th" anniversary with a "10th" anniversary. besides let it stand that personal grandeur of the 15th anniversary RAW DVD was the now "RARE" 4disc Walmart Exclusive. Dillkid, you have that?

Originally Posted by JeremyM
The Raw 15th set is still a big seller after all this time while the 10th ann. is probably excess stock that they are burning off.
RAW X show maybe a complete letdown (as what Aces High stated, which I definitely agree) but correction to Jeremym, its Not an excess stock. The 1st print of RAW X has long been discontinued (this is packaged in a slick Slim DIGIPACK ) while the one bundled with the FYE exclusive was a re-released regular amaray case.

Last edited by xage; 09-20-09 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-20-09, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyM
It looks like the 10th anniversary DVD is in an Amaray instead of the digipak it was in...
Old 09-20-09, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

I see, shows what I know! I do remember that show was pretty lousy and Vince accepted the award for Steve Austin after watching the whole show just to see him show up.
Old 09-20-09, 09:20 PM

xage Did you ever get to do your write up on the Blockbuster Exclusives WWE PPV line? Been waiting like a year and a half for that thing LOL. Seriously, though, do you have it?
Old 09-20-09, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finally got around to watching the Cornette Guest Booker DVD. Great DVD and well worth the money though I must say that I enjoyed his stories about the wrestling business in general more than the stuff specifically about rebooking the invasion angle.

Glad to see the love in this thread for ROH, PWG, and Chikara. I love all 3 but what puts PWG on top for me is the commentary (though the sound could be better). Excalibur and the revolving door of guest commentators are hilarious.
Old 09-20-09, 10:38 PM

i too love the PWG commentary. PWG is great in general. i can't wait for DG USA to start dropping DVDs.
Old 09-21-09, 12:04 AM

K-Mart will have Summerslam for $9.99
Old 09-21-09, 01:00 AM

Marketing standpoint (In My Opinion) - It just doesnt fit nor match if you bundle a "15th" anniversary with a "10th" anniversary. besides let it stand that personal grandeur of the 15th anniversary RAW DVD was the now "RARE" 4disc Walmart Exclusive. Dillkid, you have that?
Yes I do, the 4th disc with the first episode of Monday Night Raw? If so, then I have it. I think all of them have the extra disc here in the UK.
Old 09-21-09, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Aces_High
xage Did you ever get to do your write up on the Blockbuster Exclusives WWE PPV line? Been waiting like a year and a half for that thing LOL. Seriously, though, do you have it?
Sorry if it that post didnt took place, sharp memory there.

As for the rest, some of you might know about it already but here is the origin of that WWE/Weinstein "tag team exclusivity"

http://corporate.wwe.com/news/2006/2006_10_17.jsp

Genius Products and World Wrestling Entertainment Form New Tag Team
McMahons and Bob and Harvey Weinstein Form a Powerful Entertainment Partnership

October 17, 2006
SANTA MONICA, CA -- Genius Products, LLC. has entered into a multi-year agreement with World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. (WWE), to be the exclusive home entertainment distributor of all WWE DVD titles, effective November 1, 2006, a partnership that lays the foundation for a "Smackdown" on the entertainment industry.

The announcement was made today by Bob and Harvey Weinstein, Co-Chairmen of The Weinstein Company, the majority owner of Genius Products, and Vince McMahon, WWE's Chairman, along with Genius Products' Trevor Drinkwater, President and CEO, Genius Products' Stephen K. Bannon, Chairman, and WWE's Shane McMahon, Executive Vice President, Global Media, and Donna Goldsmith, Executive Vice President, Consumer Products.

"Home entertainment is a major part of the WWE's business, and we believe we have found in Genius a company that understands our brand and will help us continue to drive our company's growth," said Vince McMahon. "Bob and Harvey Weinstein have a tremendous track record. We're excited about this partnership and its long-term potential."

WWE has successfully used its core businesses of live events, pay-per-view, and producing television content for broadcast and cable networks to establish a vibrant global brand with a presence in more than 130 countries. The company has significantly expanded its line of popular licensed consumer products, such as video games, toys, books and magazines, to territories around the world. WWE is focused on spreading its sports entertainment content to new media platforms, and has experienced success with subscription video on demand, broadband and mobile services, online advertising and ecommerce. It also has created a film division focused on the production of feature films, and other film and television projects.

Bob Weinstein noted, "WWE is not simply a brand; it is an American Icon. Harvey and I very much relate to Vince McMahon's entrepreneurial style and entertainment philosophy. We love what Vince has done in making WWE the leading sports entertainment franchise in the world, and we are very interested in expanding our relationship beyond DVD distribution to other facets of WWE's global entertainment empire. We view our relationship with WWE as a major alliance with great growth potential."

Shane McMahon added, "The entrepreneurial spirit of our two organizations is very similar. We look forward to the potential of working together on a wide array of future projects to include a line of co-produced direct-to-video movies."

WWE has seen particular success in offering its content in the DVD format, and its home entertainment business has successfully bucked the industry trend of flattening DVD sales. In 2006, 10 of WWE's DVD releases achieved the No. 1 position on the Sports DVD charts, according to Nielsen VideoScan. WRESTLEMANIA 22 debuted at No. 5 among all DVD releases in the U.S. and is now the No. 1 best-selling WWE DVD of all-time. Home entertainment revenue accounted for $42 million, or 10 percent, of WWE's revenues for fiscal year 2006, more than double from the prior fiscal year.

Under the terms of the multi-year agreement, Genius will be the exclusive U.S. distributor for all WWE DVDs. New releases will include content from WWE's 90,000-hour video library, the largest of its kind in the world, featuring content from RAW, SmackDown! and ECW (Extreme Championship Wrestling(tm)), pay-per-view events, including WrestleMania, and past and present Superstar profiles, among others. The deal was negotiated by Trevor Drinkwater and Mitchell Budin, EVP Sales for Genius, and Joel Satin, Senior Director, Home Entertainment and Publishing, for WWE.

Genius assumes distribution for WWE's titles on November 1, 2006. The first title to be distributed features one of WWE's greatest legends, BORN TO CONTROVERSY: THE RODDY PIPER(tm) STORY (November 14, 2006, street date). This will be followed by THE SPECTACULAR LEGACY OF THE AWAĆ (November 21, 2006, street date) and the RAW brand's pay-per-view, WWE CYBER SUNDAY(tm) 2006 (December 5, 2006, street date). Genius will release a minimum of 25 new titles in 2007, with additional plans to exploit WWE's DVD catalog of more than 100 titles.

In making the announcement, Drinkwater noted, "The WWE has transformed sports entertainment into a cultural phenomenon through broadcasting, live events and the Superstar icons they create, which are brands unto themselves. We are honored to be associated with a global brand such as WWE. The company continues to expand its presence in the marketplace through creative programming and brand-building, which, in turn, helps provide for unique, high-quality DVD programs."

Added Donna Goldsmith, "Our DVD titles continue to dominate the sports category and to grow in popularity. With Genius and its team of savvy, experienced industry veterans, we will continue this track record of performance and expand upon it."

The momentum behind the WWE further strengthens Genius' rapidly growing library of sports and entertainment content. Over the past year, Genius has been strategically expanding its position in the industry through the introduction of new brands and strategic content provider partnerships across key power alleys such as Sports and Fitness and Lifestyle, now complemented by WWE and ESPN.

Steve Bannon added, "Our partnership with WWE validates our thesis of building a company with major studio infrastructure/supply chain and independent studio attitude and aggressiveness. WWE has demonstrated its confidence in Genius' ability to achieve broad retail distribution with a 'best in class' philosophy. Partnerships with this caliber of company will enable Genius to deliver long-term shareholder value."

Unfortunately, the so called "Vision" of long-term partnership only lasted about a year???

Year 2007 marked as a year of opportunity for some die hard DVD Wrestling Collectors.

It was originally announced as "Rental Exclusives" but some Blockbuster stores (mostly Blockbuster Corporate stores) were able to stock 1 or 2 of this exclusives as brand new/sealed.

In a collection standpoint, its like a holy grail obtaining a "sealed" copy of these exclusives. Hunting a sealed copy was sure hard even during its release dates.

As months passed by and as soon as "Summer Slam 2007" was released, WWE DVD collectors were baffled and got this craving with yet again another DVD Hunting challenge. Blockbuster changed their strategy and went to "Strictly RENTAL ONLY" scheme for WWE Exclusive DVDs.

Amazingly, despite such "Strict Rental Only" policy, some WWE DVD Collector found loopholes just to obtain ownership of these releases.

Well, such things sometimes end and as far as WWE Exclusive goes... it lasted only about a Year.

I quoted Throwbackchampion from his post in a different thread with his indepth info on the exclusives

WWE 2007 Blockbuster Exclusive DVD's

WWE Royal Rumble 2007
Spine No: WWE94610
UPC: 6 5119194610 5

WWE No Way Out 2007
Spine No: WWE94611
UPC: 6 5119194611 2

WWE Wrestlemania 23
Spine No: WWE94613
UPC: 6 5119194613 6

WWE Backlash 2007
Spine No: WWE94614
UPC: 6 5119194614 3

WWE Judgement Day 2007
Spine No: WWE94615
UPC: 6 5119194615 0

WWE One Night Stand 2007
Spine No: WWE94616
UPC: 6 5119194616 7

WWE Vengeance: Night of Champions 2007
Spine No: WWE94617
UPC: 6 5119194617 4

WWE Great American Bash 2007
Spine No: WWE94618
UPC: 6 5119194618 1

WWE Summerslam 2007
Spine No: WWE94619
UPC: 6 5119194619 8
-Use to be rental only (not anymore)

WWE Unforgiven 2007
Spine No: WWE94628
UPC: 6 5119194628 0

WWE No Mercy 2007
Spine No: WWE94629
UPC: 6 5119194629 7

Aces_High, In a great manner of coincidence... Looks like this sets of exclusives from its RARITY and SCARCITY now turn into MORE RARE and MORE SCARCE

Why?

Blockbuster shuts down 960 stores -- if yours is closing post here

And for the Late WWE DVD Craving Hunters.. Who knows? You might get lucky getting it at a very very low price?

Blockbuster Store Closing Sale 2009
Old 09-21-09, 11:36 PM

Is there going to be a steelbook exclusive for Summer Slam? If so, will it be sold at FYE or Wal-Mart?
Old 09-22-09, 12:27 AM

im a longtime lurker on here, but my nearest blockbuster has just about all of these i think (id have to go check), and may be heading under. Should I pick them up as a worthwhile resell? They are the rental copies, but I always talk to a couple clerks there and I'm sure they wouldn't mind selling me the rental copies at a low price.
Old 09-22-09, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by deto
i can't wait for DG USA to start dropping DVDs.
The DG USA dvd will start shipping October 4th. $20 plus $5 shipping at their website. I put my pre-order in already
Old 09-22-09, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ecwfan
Is there going to be a steelbook exclusive for Summer Slam? If so, will it be sold at FYE or Wal-Mart?
It's the question no one seems to have the answer to.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.