Print Wikipost

"Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-20, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: "Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
I floated an idea in the Criterion discussion thread, and wanted to cross-post it here. I've been wondering of late whether maybe it would be worth considering revamping that challenge as a wider Boutique Distributor Challenge. Because we accept content that has been selected to stream on the Criterion Channel, that's more or less what it has become by default now anyway. A lot of the Channel content has been licensed from distributors such as Arrow Video; Cohen Film Collection; Kino Lorber; Milestone/Oscilloscope; Scream/Shout Factory; and the defunct Twilight Time, as well as the Sony Selects and Warner Archive Collection MOD programs. (If we voted now, I'd be against including Sony and Warner carte blanche because those are large enough to exceed the intended smaller scope of the challenge.)

I bring this up because as much as I love the Criterion Challenge, participation is easily the lowest of all the challenges. Always has been, and is damn near barely alive by now. Some of that has to do with the community itself disintegrating, but the Horror Challenge is alive and well so our fellow forum members do still remember their login credentials. I feel like there are a lot of forum participants who collect and watch all kinds of content that's eligible for the challenge as it already stands, but abstain because their perception is that if it isn't Bergman, Fellini, or Kurosawa that they're shut out. I hate that, because you could also be watching and talking about Anna Biller, Jackie Chan, MGM Musicals, or movies with scores by Quincy Jones. None of those themes come across from the words "Criterion Challenge".
Could we vote on and add only 1 a year? Make it special, like the R&R Hall of Fame. Not flood the challenge with new distributors all at once but add a new worthy one each year. Just a suggestion.
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (09-09-20)
Old 09-09-20, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
Could we vote on and add only 1 a year? Make it special, like the R&R Hall of Fame. Not flood the challenge with new distributors all at once but add a new worthy one each year. Just a suggestion.
The problem is that Criterion has effectively already done this via the Channel. Suppose we voted to induct Arrow Video in 2021. Well, a ton of Oscilloscope content is still going to be eligible anyway as it's already been on the Channel. What would we accomplish by withholding formal recognition of Oscilloscope? Also, if these distributors have been deemed worthy of inclusion on the Channel, oughtn't that be good enough to determine worthiness for our challenge?

We could stop allowing content that has previously streamed on the Channel and only accept content actively there. That would be tidier, but I would argue it would also be antithetical to the spirit of the challenge.
Old 09-09-20, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

If the goal is to increase participation, I don’t think adding one boutique label is going to move the needle much.
Trevor (09-09-20)
Old 09-09-20, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

The problem is that Criterion has effectively already done this via the Channel. Suppose we voted to induct Arrow Video in 2021. Well, a ton of Oscilloscope content is still going to be eligible anyway as it's already been on the Channel. What would we accomplish by withholding formal recognition of Oscilloscope? Also, if these distributors have been deemed worthy of inclusion on the Channel, oughtn't that be good enough to determine worthiness for our challenge?

We could stop allowing content that has previously streamed on the Channel and only accept content actively there. That would be tidier, but I would argue it would also be antithetical to the spirit of the challenge.
Originally Posted by davidh777
If the goal is to increase participation, I don’t think adding one boutique label is going to move the needle much.
Ya, good points. You're right
Old 09-10-20, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here are the distributors whose content I know has appeared on the Criterion Channel and is already eligible for the challenge:

Arrow
Cohen Film Collection
Kino Lorber
Olive Films
Oscilloscope/Milestone
Shout! Factory/Scream Factory
Twilight Time

They've also hosted stuff from Lionsgate, Sony Selects, and the Warner Archive Collection. My feeling is that those might be large enough to go outside the scope of what the challenge is about, but I can be persuaded otherwise.
Old 10-16-20, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

November Comedy Challenge list thread has been posted.
Trevor (10-16-20)
Old 12-10-20, 12:14 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

We are coming up on the new year and I am interested in what challenges will be run for January thru April. Can someone let me know what they are?
Old 12-10-20, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Barring any more changes, the Oscar Challenge will run March 15 - April 25
The following 2 users liked this post by lisadoris:
Giles (03-01-21), popcorn (02-19-21)
Old 12-10-20, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by orlmac
We are coming up on the new year and I am interested in what challenges will be run for January thru April. Can someone let me know what they are?
Unless something has changed, the calendar is:

January: TV on DVD* [begins New Year's Eve]
February: Romance, Music & Musicals
March: Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery
April: Drive-In/B-Movie/Exploitation
May: Make Your Own
June: Historical Appreciation
July: Science-Fiction & Fantasy
August: Animation
September: Criterion [proposed expansion to Boutique Label for 2021]
October: Horror [with an unofficial warmup phase starting in September]
November: Comedy
December: Holiday [begins week of Thanksgiving]

And as Lisa noted, the Oscar challenge is on its own schedule.
Old 12-10-20, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Romance Music Musicals was an experiment for last year, but when the Oscars were moved, it seemed to make sense to run it again in 2021. I’m fine with that plan unless others disagree (but anyone can always skip a challenge that they don’t care for).
Old 12-10-20, 10:19 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

OK, thanks, that is just what I was wondering about.
davidh777 (12-11-20)
Old 12-11-20, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Romance Music Musicals was an experiment for last year, but when the Oscars were moved, it seemed to make sense to run it again in 2021. I’m fine with that plan unless others disagree (but anyone can always skip a challenge that they don’t care for).
I'm entirely in favor of bringing it back! That theme was a great idea that I feel completes the lineup. I can come up with several movies that aren't eligible for any other challenge. Documentaries, war movies, and westerns are all covered by Historical Appreciation. Film noirs and courtroom dramas are implicitly covered by Crime/Mystery.

Sports movies are really all that seem left. I wrote those into Historical Appreciation and so far as I know, they haven't been removed from that. (I reasoned that sports movies tapped into the same machismo as war and westerns, and it was also inspired by the fact that almost every history teacher I had in middle & high schools were employed in that capacity to justify having them there to coach one team or another.) But even if sports are tossed out of HA, the individual films should still have a home somewhere. Just to take Kevin Costner's baseball movies, Bull Durham is a comedy that's also had a Criterion release and Field of Dreams is fantasy. That leaves For Love of the Game which is also...a romance, now covered!
The following 2 users liked this post by Travis McClain:
davidh777 (12-11-20), LJG765 (12-13-20)
Old 12-13-20, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I just wanted to let people know that I’m planning to post the discussion and list threads for the TV on DVD challenge this week sometime. Last week I got a new laptop, but it was shipped with a faulty power cord, so I had to order a new one.
LJG765 (12-13-20)
Old 12-13-20, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I just wanted to let people know that I’m planning to post the discussion and list threads for the TV on DVD challenge this week sometime. Last week I got a new laptop, but it was shipped with a faulty power cord, so I had to order a new one.
I was gonna see about returning as host this year, but I think you enjoy doing it more than me. If you want to take the year off, though, lemme know. In any event, I've got two Batman box sets that I'm eager to get into next month ('66 and TAS). I'll try not to make y'all completely sick of Batman. At least there'll be the Discovery season finale on the 7th, for those who don't mind talking through spoiler boxes.
Old 12-13-20, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I was gonna see about returning as host this year, but I think you enjoy doing it more than me. If you want to take the year off, though, lemme know. In any event, I've got two Batman box sets that I'm eager to get into next month ('66 and TAS). I'll try not to make y'all completely sick of Batman. At least there'll be the Discovery season finale on the 7th, for those who don't mind talking through spoiler boxes.
I have no issues at all with you doing it this year Travis. I’m feeling stressed out this year anyway, what with COVID going on. While I’m glad to participate, I don’t mind stepping down from running it.
Old 12-14-20, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

List and Discussion threads are up for TV on DVD*.
Old 01-02-21, 01:10 PM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts

I've been wondering of late whether maybe it would be worth considering revamping that challenge as a wider Boutique Distributor Challenge.....

I bring this up because as much as I love the Criterion Challenge, participation is easily the lowest of all the challenges. Always has been, and is damn near barely alive by now. Some of that has to do with the community itself disintegrating, but the Horror Challenge is alive and well....
I'd love to see the Criterion Challenge expand into a Criterion/Arthouse/Foreign Challenge. This would open up the theme to so many different options. And for Horror Challenge fans, they could get an early start in September by watching arthouse/foreign horror flicks.
Old 01-02-21, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I'd love to see the Criterion Challenge expand into a Criterion/Arthouse/Foreign Challenge. This would open up the theme to so many different options. And for Horror Challenge fans, they could get an early start in September by watching arthouse/foreign horror flicks.
We'll talk more in August but at this point, this is the plan. Criterion purists can still restrict themselves to Criterion and retain the challenge as they've always enjoyed it, so no one is losing anything by expanding.
Old 01-18-21, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have you decided about hosting RMM again this year, David?
Old 01-18-21, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Have you decided about hosting RMM again this year, David?
Thanks for the nudge! I had set a calendar reminder to create the discussion thread on January 9, then when it went off, decided that it was too early but neglected to change my reminder. Discussion thread is now live!
Old 02-09-21, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Don't know if someone is running the oscars challenge here this year, but tcm dropped their schedule.. https://assets.tcm.com/projects/31da...1-Schedule.pdf
Old 02-09-21, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Cool, thanks.

Oscar nominations will be announced on March 15 so I'll start the threads around March 5 unless someone else is itching to host the Oscar Challenge.
The following 3 users liked this post by lisadoris:
Darkgod (02-10-21), davidh777 (02-09-21), Mao (02-09-21)
Old 03-15-21, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Just announcing the return of the Drive-in/Exploitation challenge. It will be overlapping the Oscar Challenge. Feel free to participate in one, the other, or both.

Old 04-24-21, 05:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Is the May challenge going to happen this year? Just noticed next weekend is the 1st of the month.
Old 04-24-21, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
Is the May challenge going to happen this year? Just noticed next weekend is the 1st of the month.
I was hoping whoever took it over last year would do so again, but if no one else wants to do it, I will. I'll give it a couple of more days. I don't even have a challenge idea yet.

EDIT: It was BobO'Link. Maybe he wants to do it again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.