Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Cataloging - What Program Do You Use?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: What Cataloging System Do You Use?
DVDProfiler
44.30%
DVDAficionado
26.16%
DVDPedia
3.38%
Delicious Library
2.95%
Microsoft Word/Excel
6.75%
Other
9.70%
None At All
6.75%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

DVD Cataloging - What Program Do You Use?

Old 04-19-10, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: DVD Cataloging - What Program Do You Use?

dkedvd: Really - you just write it like you talk? You must talk kind of funny - did you even proof read your faq page or did you write it at 3:00 AM? I don't know anybody who talks like your very first sentence on the FAQ page: "In 2001 I was collection PEZ dispensers" I would say "In 2001 I was collecting PEZ dispensers". That's the very first sentence in the page.

Next: "...killed my joy of PEZ collecting". Maybe I would say "..killed my joy of PEZ dispenser collecting" I don't think PEZ is a thing people can even collect - they CAN collect the dispensers though.

I don't want to continue because I don't want to read that faq page again.

How about the spelling - do you spell like you speak too? Oops - I checked the page with the spelling errors and they have been fixed, so I guess you DO recognize that there is only one correct way to spell a word, even though more than one kind of grammar is okay!

Last edited by danwiz; 04-19-10 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-19-10, 09:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
dkedvd: Really - you just write it like you talk? You must talk kind of funny - did you even proof read your faq page or did you write it at 3:00 AM? I don't know anybody who talks like your very first sentence on the FAQ page: "In 2001 I was collection PEZ dispensers" I would say "In 2001 I was collecting PEZ dispensers". That's the very first sentence in the page.

Next: "...killed my joy of PEZ collecting". Maybe I would say "..killed my joy of PEZ dispenser collecting" I don't think PEZ is a thing people can even collect - they CAN collect the dispensers though.

I don't want to continue because I don't want to read that faq page again.

How about the spelling - do you spell like you speak too? Oops - I checked the page with the spelling errors and they have been fixed, so I guess you DO recognize that there is only one correct way to spell a word, even though more than one kind of grammar is okay!
Wow, ever heard of a typo? Gezz. And yes "collection" should be "collecting". Again... Typo. It happens. The page is new, it still has to be combed over. I can't even begin to imagine what you might find in any of my reviews. And nobody calls it "PEZ Dispenser collecting" at least not anyone within the PEZ collecting community. You sure are getting pretty defensive over MY website. LOL.
And not to beat a dead horse but you can collect PEZ candy. Most PEZ Collectors (or as you would call them PEZ Dispenser collectors) do. There are many different flavors and packaging from all over the world.
I'm more than happy to take some constructive criticism but there is no need to be a dick over something that really should have no concern to you. You see a typo, cool, point it out and I will fix it. Don't tell me I talk funny because I hit a wrong key on my keyboard. I do proof read what I write but believe it or not I can still sometimes read over something that might be wrong. Unfortunately that is part of being human. Again, the site is new and I'm sure there is plenty to fix and in time it all will be. But in the mean time try and relax a bit. Or if this truly is the end of your world just don't visit the site and your problems will be solved.

Last edited by dkedvd; 04-19-10 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-19-10, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dkedvd View Post
Wow, ever heard of a typo? Gezz. And yes "collection" should be "collecting". Again... Typo. It happens. The page is new, it still has to be combed over. I can't even begin to imagine what you might find in any of my reviews. And nobody calls is "PEZ Dispenser collecting" at least not anyone within the PEZ collecting community. You sure are getting pretty defensive over MY website. LOL.
And not to beat a dead horse but you can collect PEZ candy. Most PEZ Collectors (or as you would call them PEZ Dispenser collectors) do. There are many different flavors and packaging from all over the world.
I'm more than happy to take some constructive criticism but there is no need to be a dick over something that really should have no concern to you. You see a typo, cool, point it out and I will fix it. Don't tell me I talk funny because I hit a wrong key on my keyboard. I do proof read what I write but believe it or not I can still sometimes read over something that might be wrong. Unfortunately that is part of being human. Again, the site is new and I'm sure there is plenty to fix and in time it all will be. But in the mean time try and relax a bit. Or if this truly is the end of your world just don't visit the site and your problems will be solved.
I'd just stop at this point, since the spelling in your posts aren't helping any. No offense. I have one PEZ dispenser in my collection and it's sitting on my desk. The Death Star
Old 04-19-10, 12:21 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 463 Likes on 306 Posts

Wow, did I miss the memo that this is Pile on Dkedvd Week?

Dkedvd, your website is gorgeous, your typos/grammar are no worse that the average person's, and I hope the negative comments don't stop you from continuing to contribute here.
Old 04-19-10, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post

Dkedvd, your website is gorgeous, your typos/grammar are no worse that the average person's, and I hope the negative comments don't stop you from continuing to contribute here.
^ This.
Old 04-19-10, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dkedvd, I was curious as to what you use to generate the site, as in the movie entries. Not sure if you posted how already.

Please don't say it's by hand.
Old 04-19-10, 03:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
Dkedvd, I was curious as to what you use to generate the site, as in the movie entries. Not sure if you posted how already.

Please don't say it's by hand.
Yep, by hand. Every one had to be put in manually. It sucked to do but now that it is done it was well worth it. And it is easy to keep up with. I use Dreamweaver to build my pages.

Last edited by dkedvd; 04-19-10 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-19-10, 03:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post

Thank you, and nahhh... That wont steer me away from DVD Talk. This isn't the first forum I've been on. Every forum has nice people and non so nice people. Thankfully most people are nice and its the nice ones that make it worth staying.
Old 04-19-10, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, by hand. Every one had to be put in manually. It sucked to do but now that it is done it was well worth it. And it is easy to keep up with. I use Dreamweaver to build my pages.
Ah, so don't have an excel file or something you're copying it from? I think starting any collection from scratch always sucks, even if you have something that pulls data from the web, like amazon and imdb.
Old 04-19-10, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

I was (I thought) quite friendly in my first post - offering what I thought was constructive criticism. You came back like a tiger with "I happen to like my grammar so deal" and like that, so I tore into you. Now you say it's merely typos.

It's a nice site which shows a LOT of work, it would be even nicer for the average reader (2 of us have pointed out that we had difficulty in getting through the faq page) if you proofed and spell checked everything BEFORE putting it up live. I know that I proofread every word on my site before putting it up live - and an occasional type still sneaks by me.

So, please don't get so very defensive, but just say "I have not finalized things yet, I know I should have read everything before I putting it up live, but I was just so excited that I wanted to get it up. I WILL check everything as I get time."

Keep up the fine work.
Old 04-19-10, 08:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
I was (I thought) quite friendly in my first post - offering what I thought was constructive criticism. You came back like a tiger with "I happen to like my grammar so deal" and like that, so I tore into you. Now you say it's merely typos.

It's a nice site which shows a LOT of work, it would be even nicer for the average reader (2 of us have pointed out that we had difficulty in getting through the faq page) if you proofed and spell checked everything BEFORE putting it up live. I know that I proofread every word on my site before putting it up live - and an occasional type still sneaks by me.

So, please don't get so very defensive, but just say "I have not finalized things yet, I know I should have read everything before I putting it up live, but I was just so excited that I wanted to get it up. I WILL check everything as I get time."

Keep up the fine work.
Didn't mean the "I happen to like my grammar so deal" to come off rude. I was being sarcastic. But I guess sarcasm doesn't come through too well in text. And I do proof read everything before I put it up. The typos still slip through here and there, but as far as the grammar... That's probably not changing. Again, that's just how I wright. If it doesn't come through well there is not to much I can do about that except for not wright at all. I have had plenty of other people read my reviews and top 10 lists and tell me how they liked them so I guess it comes through ok to some and not others. Not too sure what to do about that...

Last edited by dkedvd; 04-19-10 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-22-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I just write like I talk. It's the only way I know how. Otherwise I fell what I'm writing isn't me.
Since I'm guessing you looked, what did you think of the collection layout?
Don't get me wrong, I think you have a great collection. I liekd the layout of your list so much, that I am considering doing something similar myself.

I completely understand writing like you talk, but alot of times spoken English isnt correct English. It makes it tough to read, and gives the reader the impression that the writer is not very educated. What I was speaking of, isnt necessarily changing your voice, just polishing what you write, to make it grammatically correct. Getting the same point accross, just in a correct manner.
Old 04-23-10, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's a site to list ur collection and what you have watched:

http://www.whatiwatch.net

i don't know if it's good or not.
Old 04-23-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by newginafets View Post
there's a site to list ur collection and what you have watched:

http://www.whatiwatch.net

i don't know if it's good or not.
Seems ok. First problem I noticed is that I own more movies than they have in their database.
Old 04-23-10, 11:50 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 463 Likes on 306 Posts

First problem I noticed is that I own more movies than they have in their database.
You can probably say the same thing about Amazon.
Old 04-23-10, 08:28 PM

Movie Collectorz
Old 04-23-10, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems ok. First problem I noticed is that I own more movies than they have in their database.
The first problem I noticed is that the site is in German
Old 04-24-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Monkees View Post
Click the English flag on the top right.
Old 04-25-10, 01:15 PM

Always been partial to DVD Profiler as my DVD cataloging program of choice
Old 04-28-10, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can submit the titles that they don't have
answered

|
|
V
Old 04-28-10, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

That doesn't do much. A lot of it is still in German.
Old 04-28-10, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That doesn't do much. A lot of it is still in German.
the only German:

Database probleem opgelost / Database problems resolved
In de nacht van woensdag op donderdag is de de webserver die What I Watch host gecrashed. Bij deze crash is de database beschadigd, wat donderdag 22 april voor veel problemen heeft gezorgd.
Uiteraard is er een backup van 21 april om 23.00 beschikbaar, maar ik heb deze backup niet in zijn totaliteit teruggezet maar heb in de plaats de problemen opgezocht en waar nodig gerepareerd (een volledige herstelactie is een ingrijpende, tijdrovende en risicovolle actie). Ik verwacht dat alle problemen nu opgelost zijn, maar voor de zekerheid kan het geen kwaad om de komende dagen even extra alert te zijn op rare zaken. Mochten dat er veel zijn, zal ik alsnog de backup van 21 april terugzetten.

Vragen of opmerkingen kun je het beste kwijt in het forum in de volgende thread: http://www.whatiwatch.net/forum.php?thr=1184.

Excuses voor het ongemak!
Bart

you don't have to understand those to use the site
Old 04-28-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

sprechen Sie Deutsches? ........... nein
do you speak German? ...... no

Gjør du snakker norsk? Ja.. stedet er fra Nederland og er norweigian.
do you speak norwegian? yes.. the site is from netherlands and is norweigian.

Thanks to Translations from Yahoo Babel Fish & Babylon.
Old 04-28-10, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 133 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by newginafets View Post
the only German:

Database probleem opgelost / Database problems resolved
In de nacht van woensdag op donderdag is de de webserver die What I Watch host gecrashed. Bij deze crash is de database beschadigd, wat donderdag 22 april voor veel problemen heeft gezorgd.
Uiteraard is er een backup van 21 april om 23.00 beschikbaar, maar ik heb deze backup niet in zijn totaliteit teruggezet maar heb in de plaats de problemen opgezocht en waar nodig gerepareerd (een volledige herstelactie is een ingrijpende, tijdrovende en risicovolle actie). Ik verwacht dat alle problemen nu opgelost zijn, maar voor de zekerheid kan het geen kwaad om de komende dagen even extra alert te zijn op rare zaken. Mochten dat er veel zijn, zal ik alsnog de backup van 21 april terugzetten.

Vragen of opmerkingen kun je het beste kwijt in het forum in de volgende thread: http://www.whatiwatch.net/forum.php?thr=1184.

Excuses voor het ongemak!
Bart

you don't have to understand those to use the site
That's Dutch, not German.

"On the night between Wednesday and Thursday the web server hosting What I Watch crashed. The crash damaged the database, which on Thursday 22 April caused many problems. Of course there is a backup from 21 April 23.00 available. I have not restored this backup in its entirety. but I have looked for problems and where necessary repaired them (a complete restore is a serious, time-consuming and risky action). I expect that all problems are now solved, but for security, don't be angry in the the coming days if some odd things cause extra alert. Should that happen, I will install the backup of 21 April. Questions or observations should be posted in the forum in the following thread: http://www.whatiwatch.net/forum.php?thr=1184 . Excuses for the mess!
Old 04-29-10, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^

Okay my bad, i just based on what The Monkees stated

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.