Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Censored DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-09, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Censored DVDs

A lot of the Mexican sex comedy movies are edited. Buenos Y Con Movidas is edited more than the television edit, although the back of the box says contains nudity, no dice...
Old 01-16-09, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

The extra songs in Stop Making Sense were added for the first video release- the DVD shows it the way it was in theaters, with the extra 2 songs as separate material.

One that's always bugged me is Scary Movie omits the line from the loudmouth in the movie theater saying "Brad Pitt's ex-girlfriend is a real freak!" Brad Pitt and said ex-girlfriend objected to that, so they took it out for the video release.

The first video release of Big omits Jon Lovitz saying "She's our company Welcome Wagon" after the real Welcome Wagon objected. Wall Street alters a line that was originally "The only things moving around here are the cockroaches and the Puerto Ricans". Don't know if these have been fixed for the DVDs.
Old 01-16-09, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Revenge of the Nerds cuts out an entire sequence where they find their house because the real estate sign had a real phone number on it.
Old 01-16-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

That REALLY pissed me off since it's one of my favorite movies. The older editions of that movie aren't cut.

I actually saw "Bruce Almighty" in the theater, and the pager with God's phone number had a real number on it. I heard that was changed to a 555 number for the DVD.
Old 01-16-09, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

The Grizzly Man DVD is news to me (I did see it in theaters), but it doesn't really alter the film, in my opinion.

The thing that boils my blood is when TV shows get altered. Family Guy, as noted above, was done because the joke was in bad taste after 9/11. That I can fully understand. But releasing WKRP without any of the songs...that isn't right. Sad thing is, there are many TV shows out there that have been altered and the uninformed consumer (and the total lack of this being mentioned on the packaging...or the lame ass Paramount version) is the one who gets the shaft. Personally, I believe if a studio wants to alter something, they should inform the buyer about what is being altered. I don't think we need to know the why, only the what.
Old 01-16-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by macnorton
The Grizzly Man DVD is news to me (I did see it in theaters), but it doesn't really alter the film, in my opinion.

The thing that boils my blood is when TV shows get altered. Family Guy, as noted above, was done because the joke was in bad taste after 9/11. That I can fully understand. But releasing WKRP without any of the songs...that isn't right. Sad thing is, there are many TV shows out there that have been altered and the uninformed consumer (and the total lack of this being mentioned on the packaging...or the lame ass Paramount version) is the one who gets the shaft. Personally, I believe if a studio wants to alter something, they should inform the buyer about what is being altered. I don't think we need to know the why, only the what.

See I think the exact opposite of you. Nothing should be censored for content, regardless of if people think something in in bad taste or not, that's the show, that's how it aired, it happened, if you don't like it don't watch it.

In relation to music rights, that's a money issue, that makes sense, if you can't release a show and make money on the release (because you've spend more money on music rights than the show will make in sales) then you have to makde some edits or not release it at all. Studios don't cut music because they don't like it or are jerks, it's all down to money.
Old 01-16-09, 01:26 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
See I think the exact opposite of you. Nothing should be censored for content, regardless of if people think something in in bad taste or not, that's the show, that's how it aired, it happened, if you don't like it don't watch it.

In relation to music rights, that's a money issue, that makes sense, if you can't release a show and make money on the release (because you've spend more money on music rights than the show will make in sales) then you have to makde some edits or not release it at all. Studios don't cut music because they don't like it or are jerks, it's all down to money.
I am saying I understand why it was removed. That particular instance makes sense...Seth McFarlane was to be on one of the flights that crashed into the towers, and I am willing to bet that might have been a part of it too.

Music rights are a sticky one. Yeah I get it is a money thing, but when you the consumer have no idea that something has been altered until you buy it, that doesn't sit will with me. All the studio has to do is add in a paper insert detailing the changes...that is all I am asking for. I think that is doable, right?
Old 01-16-09, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Santa Clause has been edited to remove the line, "1-800-SPANK-ME? I know that number." I think someone called the number and got connected to an actual phone sex line. On TV it's replaced with "1-800-THE-POUND"; on DVD the scene is cut altogether. As far as I know, the original VHS release is the only way to watch the scene intact.

--THX
Old 01-16-09, 08:36 PM

In the first episode of Heroes, "Genesis", the scene were Claire Bennet sticks her hand into a garbage disposal labeled "InSinkErator" has been edited. Emerson Electric Company sued NBC over the scene claiming that it showed one of their products in an unsavory light. All rebroadcasts of the episode and all dvd's containing the episode are the edited ones.

NBC, which is owned by Emerson's main competitor General Electric, and Emerson settled out of court.
Old 01-16-09, 09:24 PM

Are we talking about actual censorship in this thread, or are we really talking about alternate cuts of films? That's how it's reading so far.

To contribute:

Time Rider -
Spoiler:
Peter Coyote gets chopped up by helicopter blades in the theatrical cut, but survives in the DVD cut.

Maybe the "PG" version was the only print available to Anchor Bay, but I would give almost anything to see that scene restored.
Old 01-17-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, people have gotten pretty off-topic from what kind of censorship the OP was referring to. Legal edits and music rights aren't really what he meant, I think.
Old 01-27-09, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't know why these were edited, but the Robin Williams Live on Broadway dvd is slightly edited from the original hbo broadcast. Its like 30 seconds worth of lines. My guess would be improvs where he mentioned something that couldn't get cleared.
Old 01-27-09, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nezumi
Are we talking about actual censorship in this thread, or are we really talking about alternate cuts of films? That's how it's reading so far.

To contribute:

Time Rider -
Spoiler:
Peter Coyote gets chopped up by helicopter blades in the theatrical cut, but survives in the DVD cut.

Maybe the "PG" version was the only print available to Anchor Bay, but I would give almost anything to see that scene restored.
That's an odd switch. Didn't really like that scene much anyway as it looked so cheap.
Spoiler:
His two boots remaining on the rock.
Old 01-27-09, 06:53 PM
Banned

Is their a version of Mulholland Dr. Uncensored?
Old 02-01-09, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Waters
Is their a version of Mulholland Dr. Uncensored?
No. Regardless of what people say in this thread, Mulholland Dr. IS censored in the Theatrical version. I has seen in two times in the theater since the big "cooter blur" fiasco, and both times, I look specifically for the blur, and can see it.

I think the issues about this whole thing come from semantics of those quoted.

Lynch stated that the film was digitally censored (that doesn't mean that it was only for the DVD release, it could be for the film version too).

Herring has stated that Lynch and her made a deal that the scene would be censored when the film was released (that doesn't mean ONLY for the DVD, it could be for the film version too).

Like I said, I've seen the blur twice in the theatrical version. Once in Rochester, New York and once in Seattle Washington. I had to be looking for it though. So people who say it wasn't there, I think it was just so dark that they think it wasn't blurred out.
Old 02-04-09, 02:19 PM

Drive-In Cult Classics 4's version of Chain Gang Women is heavily edited.
Old 02-04-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The R2 of House IV is missing 7 seconds of blood running down a woman's breasts.
Old 02-04-09, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
Revenge of the Nerds cuts out an entire sequence where they find their house because the real estate sign had a real phone number on it.
Why didn't they just digitally alter the number?
Old 02-05-09, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Embryo (1976) , every version I have found has been heavily edited. Also Desert Warrior, starring Lou Ferrigno is edited. Every edition I've found of Zorro (1975) starring Alain Delon is a mess.
Old 02-05-09, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
That REALLY pissed me off since it's one of my favorite movies. The older editions of that movie aren't cut.

I actually saw "Bruce Almighty" in the theater, and the pager with God's phone number had a real number on it. I heard that was changed to a 555 number for the DVD.
776-2323, which was funny watching in a theater because that was a local number where I am.

edit: and a quick google search shows someone still has it. I remember reading a story in the paper saying it was some old lady's number. Not sure if it's the same one.