Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there anyone here (Christmas present notwithstanding) still using DVD?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 03:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Throwing out cost, wouldn't you want to see your favorite films in the best possible way?
Hypothetically speaking I can't see why anyone wouldn't but it wasn't asked as a hypothetical question. In the real world everyone has to make choices, some more difficult then others.

Take komsik's comments above for example. He obviously puts a much higher importance on film content then the highest video quality available. Therefore, he may choose a possible 3 to 1 ratio of having more SD DVD content then BR content. I would contend that such a choice emphasizes how much of a cimephile he might be because he stresses having more content over video quality.

Now this doesn't put him above someone that can just as easily have both with no sacrifice but it doesn't minimize his appreciation because he chooses not to.

Also, why stop at BR vs SD. Content is only part of the experience, you still have to maximize the use of the content. So if someone doesn't have a commercial theater capable projector or a 7.1 speaker setup of B&W Nautilus speaker or a 5+K BR player or the best external video processor available or a professionally designed and acoustically treated room, does that mean they aren't cinephiles because they aren't going for the very best available. Where does it all stop.
Old 12-04-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I buy both. I would say that 95 % of what I watch is TV on DVD. Usually, I'll only watch an episode once...so for me that just doesn't justify the purchase of a Blu-Ray version for alot of additional money. However, if I get a feature I'll almost always go with Blu-Ray (sole exception of mega deals on something I might only watch once).

But I will say that if a Blu-Ray player didn't come with my PS3 I would probably never have upgraded to the format.
Old 12-04-08, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
If you are a DVD Collector then by all means you should stay with DVD and continue to collect the plastic discs.

If you are a cinema aficionado, who desires the best possible quality for his favorite films, then Blu-ray is the only and natural supplement. It really comes down to whether you are collecting DVDs or films, and how you distinguish the two.
Upgrading to a Blu-ray is one thing. Swearing off dvds is another. Do you still purchase dvds? I bet you have hundreds in your SDVD collection that will never make it to Blu-ray. I think the true film fan would want to actually watch the movie wherever availible rather than holding out for a blu-ray and never watching the damn movie.
Old 12-04-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally, I'd like to see them in a big dark theater with an audience of other passionate film fans.

-beebs
Old 12-04-08, 07:10 PM

This is an interesting topic. With Christmas approaching, I contiplated whether to ask for movies on Blu-Ray or DVD. I still think my DVD looks pretty good on my 32' HDTV; I decided stay with DVD for a little bit more. Last year I truly thought and still think that HD-DVD was a better product. I bought an HD-DVD player, which I still enjoy. Now that the format is dead and my bitterness has dispated, I am certainly open to buying into Blu-Ray. However, I'm going to wait to see if Blu-Ray will be around (Once bitten, twice shy.) I also will wait for the price to go down and/or one of my other DVD players die.

Last edited by wakwak007; 12-04-08 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-04-08, 07:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Upgrading to a Blu-ray is one thing. Swearing off dvds is another. Do you still purchase dvds? I bet you have hundreds in your SDVD collection that will never make it to Blu-ray. I think the true film fan would want to actually watch the movie wherever availible rather than holding out for a blu-ray and never watching the damn movie.
Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

I'm into sci-fi/horror and do you really think that most of the older films will ever be put out onto BD???

10 years plus and some are still not on DVD and quite a few never even made it to LD!!!

I only double dip on BD if it is indeed an improvement. Case in point, I love the new "Planet of the Apes" but the BD version at MPEG2 was hardly a step up from the SDVD version...so no double dip.

I have 15 SDVDs coming in the next week and I want to see them in my lifetime...not my grandkids lifetime!!!
Old 12-04-08, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have the money to waste on a Blu-Ray player and I mainly collect wrestling and TV season DVDs. There's been a grand total of ONE stinking BR WWE DVD released and half the stuff I buy wouldn't benefit from being/wouldn't be a Blu Ray release (Simpsons, South Park, Scrubs and older TV shows).
Old 12-04-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Demand typically arrives when there is innovation, progress - a better product. This is what BD has brought to the scene: better. If improvement wasn't offered then you would see a peak and consequently decline. This is what is happening with DVD, it is a capped format. With other words, no one is arguing that DVD is a poor product. It is a great product that did wonders for the industry and enthusiasts like us. What I am trying to point out to you is that now there is a better product - which happens to be growing while its predecessor is declining. That is all.
Honestly, I didn't go through and read all the posts in the thread. Is BD the best possible option for every movie, if available? In almost every situation, yes.

Does that make someone who hasn't moved onto Blu a "lesser" movie fan? If your answer is no, then we're in agreement.

I think things would be better if the anti-Blu crowd, instead of saying "there is no difference between upconverted DVD and Blu-ray/HD" simply said "that difference is not worthy investment for me"... that would cut down on about half of the arguments.
Old 12-04-08, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts
I'll go Blu when my current player breaks. Not enough money to supplement yet. When I do, I'll likely only double dip for my personal essentials.

I've read plenty of places that HD is irrelevant for those with screens smaller than 40" (of course I had just purchased a 37" 1080p screen when I started noticing these comments!) so I guess I'll just have to decide for myself if the difference is noticeable. FWIW the first OTA HD broadcast I saw knocked my socks off.

And, as always, my wife really determines when I can spend money on new tech, and in her opinion, a larger screen is out of the question - even if we happened to win the lottery. She thinks large screens are obscene.
Old 12-05-08, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I think that there are quite a few people here who didn't really take the time to read what is written:

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
...but saying that owning that equipment is required to prove you're serious about films is like saying you need box seat season tickets to prove you're serious about sports.
Who said that? Would you mind quoting the poster?

Originally Posted by Drop
You guys railing on Pro-B are still missing the point. You seem to think there's a choice that has to be made when there isn't. Pro-B is merely stating the film aficionado wants the best possible version. If the Blu-ray isn't available (or affordable) then the DVD is the next option, or the laserdisc, VHS or finally the bootleg.
Thank you for actually reading what is posted.

Originally Posted by bsmith
I'm not sure he has said that very thing nor do I think affordability has anything to do with it.
Allow me to help then:

If you are a DVD Collector then by all means you should stay with DVD and continue to collect the plastic discs.

If you are a cinema aficionado, who desires the best possible quality for his favorite films, then Blu-ray is the only and natural supplement. It really comes down to whether you are collecting DVDs or films, and how you distinguish the two.

Pro-B
Does referring to Blu-ray as supplement sound to you as: Blu-ray is the only option if you are a film collector, obviously, concerned with content and quality?

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Upgrading to a Blu-ray is one thing. Swearing off dvds is another.
I've quoted my initial post above. Simple question for you - if I was swearing off DVD why would I refer to Blu-ray as supplement, for now? Wouldn't I want to say that it is the only format a true film afficionado should adopt?

Originally Posted by The Bus
Honestly, I didn't go through and read all the posts in the thread.
Thank you for actually being honest and admitting it . Looks like there are other posters who did not read either, and started producing some very strange statements.And yes, as my posts reveal, we are in full agreement.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 12-05-08 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-05-08, 07:35 AM

Does referring to Blu-ray as supplement sound to you as: Blu-ray is the only option if you are a film collector, obviously, concerned with content and quality?Pro-B
I have read the whole thread and restating the extact same text doesn't clear up your stance, if it was or wasn't interpreted correctly the first go around. You continue to refer to content and quality in the same sentence with true film collector. You mention BR as a supplement to mean SD DVD's are acceptable in circumstances but it is not clear what the circumstances are in your definition of a true film collector.

Let me put it more simply. I know you have stated BR isn't the only option and that you are looking for the best quality available regardless of what the media that might be. Therefore, I would classify you as a film collector, videophile, and audiophile.

What this has turned into is a debate as to whether to be considered a true film collector one HAS to seek out the best quality media. I say no, a film collector is someone that has a deep appreciation for film regardless of the media quality they choose given what is available. It still isn't clear, in my mind, whether you agree with this or feel that one is not a true film collector unless they also seek out the best media available, in this case BR.
Old 12-05-08, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
And, as always, my wife really determines when I can spend money on new tech, and in her opinion, a larger screen is out of the question - even if we happened to win the lottery. She thinks large screens are obscene.
I feel your pain, brutha. For years, despite my best sales pitches, my wife was dead set against a big screen for the same reason. So I was stuck watching a 27 incher, at least until last year.

The fates aligned and we ended up with a 50" plasma, and now the woman who never liked to watch TV and rarely gave a crap about watching a DVD is hooked. She admits she was wrong, and can't believe how much different the experience is.

Be patient, and I wish you luck....
Old 12-05-08, 09:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My neighboor has a High-Def 50+ LCD and a blue ray player, and there is no doubt that the quality is there and dramatically so. Still though, standard DVDs offer sufficient quality for me, especially so on my 110 projector screen. I just can't justify the investment in equipement, and the 50+ movies I would be compelled to buy in the upgrade.
Old 12-05-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would say a true cinephile is one that appreciates quality of film content, while a true videophile is one who appreciates video quality, and an audiophile is one who appreciates audio quality. Someone can be all three or a variation of the three, but they don't have to be one in order to appreciate the other.

BR over SD DVD stress the videophile and audiophile in us but has nothing to do with the cinephile in us. A person can be a true cinephile regardless of the other two, IMO.
DVDTalk Forum Collector's Series.
Old 12-05-08, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by MrVette99
My neighboor has a High-Def 50+ LCD and a blue ray player, and there is no doubt that the quality is there and dramatically so. Still though, standard DVDs offer sufficient quality for me, especially so on my 110 projector screen. I just can't justify the investment in equipement, and the 50+ movies I would be compelled to buy in the upgrade.
You mean you have a 110" screen and don't have a BD player???

Boy, are you missing the whole "HOME THEATER " experience.

I saw my brothers 95" and watched a few BD movies on it...and I thought my 65" ISFed RPTV was great, boy was I wrong.

You already have the equipment, you just need the BD player. Once you see a movie on it, you'll be hooked!!!

A projector and screen for me if and when my RPTV dies!!!
Old 12-05-08, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by sparks
You mean you have a 110" screen and don't have a BD player???

Boy, are you missing the whole "HOME THEATER " experience.
I've been using a 92" screen for 5 years now. I feel the same "HOME THEATER" experience now as I did when I watched my first movie in it. BR is nice and I will add a player within the next year but lets not go overboard.
Old 12-05-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have read the whole thread and restating the extact same text doesn't clear up your stance, if it was or wasn't interpreted correctly the first go around.
Here is exactly the reason that this knowledgeble gentleman/woman is maligned by some folks. Don't even try to have an exchange or clarification with him/her, it's like trying to corner Black Adder in a lie.

-beebs

Last edited by beebs; 12-05-08 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-05-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sparks
I only double dip on BD if it is indeed an improvement. Case in point, I love the new "Planet of the Apes" but the BD version at MPEG2 was hardly a step up from the SDVD version...so no double dip.
Really? What kind of set-up do you have b/c I couldn't disagree with you more on the difference. The detail reproduction throughout the film is exceptional.
Old 12-05-08, 05:51 PM

When I bought my DVD player the only prerequisite I had was that it be region free. I will buy a Bluray player when they become region free as well.
Old 12-05-08, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Really? What kind of set-up do you have b/c I couldn't disagree with you more on the difference. The detail reproduction throughout the film is exceptional.
A ISFed by 2 of the best in the business Mitsubishi 65711 CRT RPTV.

Before I plunk down my hard earned cash for a double dip, I read the reviews. The reviews (one of them is on this site) say it's a crappy transfer and needs a do over.

I'm glad you find it good, but I'll wait. They'll redo it and then I'll double dip.
Old 12-05-08, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Most cinephiles I have encountered are interested in technical merits like lighting, shots, sound etc and not just the content of the film. Being a cinephile is about the whole experience in my opinion.
Old 12-05-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
I still buy Dvd because Blu is pointless to me I think the difference is nothing to go and clamor over just for a tiny bit better picture.And for 35 bucks a pop sometimes when I could get a couple of DVDs for that price is just stupid.
Though one day I will Eventually upgrade when the price dosent seem so stupid to me.
Old 12-05-08, 10:47 PM

I don't understand this question, Did a particular BlueRay release outsold a DVD release?

A better question would be:
Do you actually think the BlueRay Dark Knight would outsell the Dark knight DVD?

Old 12-05-08, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There have been video/audio reviews of HD-DVDs that have slightly better quality than the Blu Ray counterpart. There have been video/audio reviews of Blu Rays that have slightly better quality than the DVD counterpart.

If one really cares about the best possible version, why don't you buy the HD-DVDs that have better quality than the Blu Rays? Because HD-DVD is obsolete? It shouldn't matter, because you should buy the obsolete HD-DVD player if you want "the best possible video/audio" quality or "if you are true movie fan".

Blu Ray does not represent the best possible reproduction of a film, Blu Ray represents sucker consumerism and just another reason to rationalize out-of-hand movie media buying, especially when the ratio of buying more movies than able to watch them is out of hand...
Old 12-06-08, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by toddly6666
There have been video/audio reviews of HD-DVDs that have slightly better quality than the Blu Ray counterpart.
Could you list a few examples?

Thanks.

Pro-B

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.