Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TCM Lost RKO Collection: 1/1/09

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: TCM Lost RKO Collection: 1/1/09

Limited DVD-R runs are a great idea. It's a myth that they degrade quickly, especially the pro quality ones TCM likely would use. This way a studio doesn't lose a bunch of money that would prevent future new releases. I have self-made DVD-Rs from 2000 that used cheap blanks and they still work perfectly.

Many small labels like ReelClassicDVD.com and Grapevine Video have to use DVD-Rs out of financial necessity. I think both use simple B&W laser printer covers and simple text-only disc labels. However, the effort is put into the transfers and availability of rare titles.

Warner was supposed to start a service of made-to-order DVD-Rs sometime for titles that wouldn't justify a full scale run, so I hope the complaints don't prevent it. They have lots of obscure titles and 300+ silent films and while A-list titles like Greed and The Big Parade won't be difficult sells, DVD-R runs are going to be the only option for more obscure stuff like The Fire Brigade.
Old 01-08-09, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by kevin_y
I don't think these discs will sell even 500 copies. Also, TCM is apparently given a limited time to sell them due to copyrights and therefore it can't have too many copies in production.

The cost should also be reflective of how big a demand there is for the item. Low demand = higher price.
You're looking at the wrong thing here. Low demand equals low price; high demand equals high price, which is why gas prices go up when driving goes up.

What you are thinking about is the elasticity of demand. For some things, no matter how much they go up in price, the demand stays relatively the same. Water prices may go up a lot, but people still need water so they will still buy it. That is known as inelastic demand.

Other things when they go up in price a little, demand (and sales) drops a lot and vice versa. Put big screen TVs on sale and you see a big jump in demand.

The TCM DVD's have low demand, which would normally command a low price. But Turner obviously believes that the people who do want them really want them, which is why they will pay pretty much any price to get them, and that putting them on sale at a significantly lower price won't result in that many more sales. You could stick these in the dollar bin at Walmart and you wouldn't see a lot of people buying them.
Old 01-08-09, 05:29 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
You're looking at the wrong thing here. Low demand equals low price; high demand equals high price, which is why gas prices go up when driving goes up.

What you are thinking about is the elasticity of demand. For some things, no matter how much they go up in price, the demand stays relatively the same. Water prices may go up a lot, but people still need water so they will still buy it. That is known as inelastic demand.

Other things when they go up in price a little, demand (and sales) drops a lot and vice versa. Put big screen TVs on sale and you see a big jump in demand.

The TCM DVD's have low demand, which would normally command a low price. But Turner obviously believes that the people who do want them really want them, which is why they will pay pretty much any price to get them, and that putting them on sale at a significantly lower price won't result in that many more sales. You could stick these in the dollar bin at Walmart and you wouldn't see a lot of people buying them.
What I meant by "low demand" was "low number of people who want these discs". But those few people do demand them HIGHLY, and would pay for the high prices. So there is indeed a "high demand, high price" phenomenon that you described. But there just aren't enough people with a "high demand" -- hence, "low" demand.
Old 01-14-09, 08:01 PM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got mine - I had it sent to my parents in the states and forwarded on to me overseas. Not only do they not play on my region 1 Toshiba player, but both Rafter Romance and Double Harness (the two I was most interested in) freeze up at about 15:00. Nothing I do can get Rafter Romance past the 15 minute mark.

I was surprised by the amount of bonus features - and if the damn things would play - it would be a nice set. I've emailed tcm and Movies Unlimited (who ship these out for them) - but have yet to get a response.
Old 08-13-09, 05:05 PM

I bought all 4 of the Warner Film Noir Classic Collections as they were released. Usually because I knew some of the movies in the set as they were released. However, none of these companies who make burn-on-demand movies-TCM, Warner, will ship abroad. If they don't merit a general releaase in the U.S. you can be sure they won't ever be released here in Japan where I live and work. I haven't resorted to illegal downloaded editions off the Internet but if you want to see these movies here that is your only recourse. There are no TV channels here, including satellite and cable, that show lesser known older movies, especially those in black and white. Indeed, if they show any at all it is Hitchcock, Wilder, etc. I have tried to contact TCM to see if they will have a channel here in the future. No response at all. I know TCM has channels here in Asia but Japan? Not as far as I can determine. At least, now I know why there have been no more Noir boxes from Warner.