DVD Spot Shutting Down

Old 09-29-08, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the DVDSpot editors, samdvd1, has started a new forum here:

http://www.bulletpointreview.com/forum/
Old 09-29-08, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am soooo shitty about this,I wasted so much time on my page....
Old 09-29-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Delicious Library for the Mac. It automatically updates on my iPod (or iPhone) when it's plugged in, so I know what I have, even when I'm out.

= J
Old 09-29-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm shocked and saddened by this horrible news.

I hate DVDAF, and refuse to return to that circus, so it looks like I'll be going back to DVDProfiler.
Old 09-29-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by beesonosu
...but I don't want people to post uninformed opinions either.
Yes, there is some basic information, but more specific information is incomplete compared to the alternatives. This is why I consider it more of a film catalog (and I will edit the wording of my original post).

Run time
Sound track
Subtitling
Actor
Writer
Music
Video Format
Disc Format
Old 09-29-08, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
Ugh. It's gonna take forever to put all of my DVDs onto DVD Aficionado. I may just use the Exported file from DVDSpot and say to hell with online cataloging...
Same here. I may eventually get everything up on DVDAF, but for now I think I'm just going to take that Excel file and add onto it and do offline categorizing as my main for now on. Sucks.
Old 09-29-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
DAMNIT!

You know I really spent a lot of time on there making up different filters and whatnot. This really truly sucks ass!
Old 09-29-08, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, another thing I did was went to my owned DVDs, hit view all, and then copied and pasted the entire lot into a word file. The Excel file is kind of confusing and lacks the year the movie was made and the year the DVD was released, as well as fails to include the specific edition. This way, I have all that information as well. This is just a pain in the ass like none other.
Old 09-29-08, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I use Dvdaf more but I had Dvdspot as a backup, plus I liked their stats.
Exactly my situation.

Man, first Guzzlefish, then Profile moved to pay only for anything useful, now DVD Spot, DVD Af is the last of a dying breed. I hope we don't lose it.
Old 09-29-08, 07:22 PM

This bites. On the plus side, I KNEW maintaining four different databases was going to come in handy some day. So, essentially, I don't have any actual importing to do from DVD Spot to anywhere else. Plus, I save some time when I procure new discs...

Silver lining, I guess.
Old 09-29-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wish DVDProfiler was free.
Old 09-29-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
It doesn't export multiple viewings of a DVD either, just the most recent apparently.
That's the biggest loss for me ... I really liked tracking my multiple viewings, especially of tv on dvd, and keeping track of which commentaries I've watched. It's going to be a huge pain to go through and copy everything.
Old 09-29-08, 07:32 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Darn it. Tried to keep the Spot updated w/ a lot of exclusives, anyone know how the other sites handle those?
Old 09-29-08, 07:35 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Darn it. Tried to keep the Spot updated w/ a lot of exclusives, anyone know how the other sites handle those?
suckily.
profiler won't let you upload exclusives if it has same UPC as regular which many do. dvdaf seems to not have a lot of exclusive steelbooks anyway.
Old 09-29-08, 07:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts
luckily i kept updating Profiler which i did pay for and it is ok system, but i loved spot bc i could just have a filter with steelbooks and i was getting the knack for contributing. Profiler i can't even search on steelbook and get results. dvdaf seems to not have a lot of foreign steelbooks.
Old 09-29-08, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
I know that while I was at DVDAF, contributing titles wasn't much fun. I went to DVD Spot and actually found myself enjoying the process. I'll definitely miss that aspect of it.
Old 09-29-08, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So what's the best free online option out there? All I know of now is DVDAF.
Old 09-29-08, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
What crappy news

As everyone mentioned here, I might just stop cataloging my DVD's online. I might just keep track of them through Microsoft Excel or something.

The reason why I moved over to DVDSpot was because I hated DVDAF.
Old 09-29-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kstublen
I think we need a thread dedicated to the Pros and Cons of DVD Aficionado and DVD Profiler, because looking at them both they are entirely different than DVDSpot and I can't bring myself to pay for DVD Profiler unless I know for sure I will like it. Anyone that uses (or has used) both care to give input?
I'd also add software options that will never fail because a site decides to shut down. It's worked fine for me with my 2 online backup sites going down in flames. The software I use grabs the info from imdb, amazon, and dvd empire.
Old 09-29-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apparently CNET has something to do with this. I don't know much, but according to what the moderators and users on the DVDSpot Forum, the creator of DVDSpot sold it to CNET back in 2006, and for whatever reason they are now shutting it down. I would GLADLY pay a one-time fee to keep using DVDSpot.
Old 09-29-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know this won't help many people, if any at all, but Tellico looks promising for those of us who run Linux. It's a software for all collections, not just DVDs. It's very customizable so you can add or delete any fields you may want. You can also search title or UPC to import information directly from IMDB or Amazon, it can also import some of the information from the DVDSpot files. It's all offline, but it does have a lot of export options so it shouldn't be too difficult to generate an html list to post online if you so choose.
Old 09-29-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So I'm in the slow process of transferring my DVDs to DVD Aficionado, and it's pretty easy thus far. My only real complaint is that they don't have multiple listings for the same UPC; this sucks because there isn't the specificity that DVDSpot had in regards to store exclusives. Other than that, it's alright so far.
Old 09-29-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've been keeping simultaneous accounts on Spot and AF and I far prefer Spot. In fact, whenever I get a new title that isn't in either database, I only add it to Spot, thinking that it will always be there and I far prefer the layout. Which means that there are probably 50-70 DVDs in my Spot account that I'll now have to add to my AF account. This stinks.
Old 09-29-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
As we speak I am cataloging all of my DVD's offline. I know originally I posted that I would stop cataloging them but I figured having an inventory sheet offline wouldn't hurt.

Go Microsoft Excel!

I'm also noticing as I am putting my collection into Excel that there are handfuls of DVD's I know I inputted at DVDSpot, not showing up in my collection.
Old 09-29-08, 09:53 PM

Very upsetting news! DVDSpot was so easy to use and better looking then DVDAF but i guess i'll have to stick with DVDAF until a site just like DVDspot comes along again. Damn!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.