Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

and that's why I didn't get Powerpuff Girls S1

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-08, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by David Lambert
This isn't a great scenario, but it's a damn sight better than what HIT is doing with Fraggle Rock, after releasing 3 out of 4 (decently pricey) season sets and then making the 4th only available in The Complete Series (after announcing and then withdrawing the announcement of the fourth season sold separately, by the way).
That really blows. Talk about a rip off of those who supported the earlier sets.
Old 09-22-08, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats not too bad. I got it on release day for my daughter(which amused me greatly after my at that time 5yr old little girl came and told me about the whoop-ass girls, using those exact words) and she has watched it on many occasions. I'd be upset if, much like many of my other dvds, i bought it then it set on the shelf unwatched for a year and half then i had to re-buy it.
Old 09-22-08, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still mad about "The Larry Sanders Show" on DVD. One season, then a best of collection?

Even if you know that all the seasons will come out on on DVD (on current shows), they almost always always throw a ton of extra's and special features on the complete series box set. I'm intentionally holding off on buying any seasons of "Lost" for this reason.
Old 09-22-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I thought the first post would be something like, "I am a boy"
Hopefully changing the subject somewhat...

When I first head of this series, it was an ad in an alternative music magazine back in the late 90's. Believe it or not, when this show came out, it was marketed to the college crowd, much like Adult Swim is today. This cartoon had an edge to it when it first came out that had not been seen on Cartoon Network before. I think that if Adult Swim was around at the time, this series would have landed on their line up and it may have even retained the title The Whoop-Ass Girls.

Leave it to the marketing gurus at WB to decide if it's a cartoon about little girls with super powers that they should market the show to little girls. I think as the series progressed, it lost a little of it's edge, but the original fans remained true.

And I think that is why the movie pretty much flopped at the theater. This show and the movie had a college crowd appeal, yet they only showed the movie when it would be ideal for little kids to see it, and not when college kids would be going to the theater.

WB certainly made money off of merchandising and all marketing this to kids, no doubt, but don't forget the origins of the series. It aired pretty late at night on Wednesday when it first came out...it wasn't shuffled in with the earlier time slotted kiddie fare until later into the series.

I am a guy who loves alternative music, thus why I was reading that magazine, and was enthralled by this show when I watched it. Part of me became a bit embarrassed to mention I was a fan of the show later on when people began to associate it with a kid's show (and a girl's show at that) but shoot...it's a good show. I don't give a rat's ass how WB decided to market it in the latter seasons.
Old 09-23-08, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

A long time ago, I made two PPG music videos and they're up on youtube right now. If you look for username 'mzupeman', you can find them. If not I can post them later, I have to head to work but, they really showed off the 'bad-ass'ness of the PPG's. To hell with what other people thought
Old 09-23-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was going to buy season one, now there is no need. This and Duckman will look nice in my collection.
Old 09-23-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I'm 34 years old and my wife and I have always been fans of this show. I guess we always knew there was something of an edge to it that separated it from the "directly aimed at kids" stuff.

And honestly, if you really watch some of the episodes, it's not hard to see it wasn't really aimed for kids. The episode "The Rowdyruff Boys" is a little bit scary in it's operatic levels of violence. And the ending works on so many levels of course.
Old 09-23-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
They haven't done it to Superman but it's happened to other series with DC and other publishers.
I'm not sure why you're nitpicking this. Do you dispute my point that it damages the reputation of the company, and the trust of the consumers? And do you think it's a fair thing to do, if the reason is simply "sales?"

There are a tiny handful of miniseries that have been canceled in the middle of their runs from Marvel or DC. DC's been publishing for, what, 70 years, and Marvel (or its earlier forms, like Atlas) for about the same? I single them out because they are the only publishers with any kind of publishing reputation (in terms of consistency and longevity), and they both have deep pockets (although Marvel didn't always, and their bankruptcy is one of the reasons many series at *that* time were abruptly canceled). So they're the only two that can really compare to something like Universal, Paramount, Fox, etc.. For example, Mad Love's "Big Numbers" doesn't exactly qualify--both for the fact that it was published by a small independent company, and because it wasn't sales which killed it.

If it happens with a small company, there's usually disappointment, but rarely anger.

But if it happens with DC or Marvel, and the reason is "sales," you can bet that there are people who will get really angry about that, and that will affect future sales of other series, as well as current sales--piss somebody off enough, and they stop spending any money at all on your other products, too. And if they add insult by releasing a collection of the entire series and expect you to pay full cost for it, even though you already bought some of the contents, that's a further step in the wrong direction.

mzupeman2, sorry for the incorrect assertion about your name. After I wrote it, I thought "Hm...I don't know if I should have worded that so strongly--what if it *isn't* connected to Superman?"

Back to the PPG, I avoided it when it started, because I thought it was just a kids' show aimed at young girls. But I happened to catch part of Meet the Beat-Alls, where all of the dialogue is made up of Beatles' song names. And then there was an episode which had a part that skewered anime where Bubbles was talking to a rock (or it to her)--I wish I could remember the name of that one.

This show is like Looney Tunes. It looks like it's for kids, and they can enjoy it, but there's a level there aimed directly at adults, too.