DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Pink Panther: Ultimate Collection ----> 11/25/08

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-08, 07:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pink Panther: Ultimate Collection ----> 11/25/08

From thedigitalbits.com:

MGM has set a Pink Panther: Ultimate Collection box set for release on DVD on 11/25 as well (SRP $199.98). This 18-disc set contains a new The Pink Panther: Collector's Edition with over 60-minutes of all new special features (only available in this box set for the time being), along with 8 other feature films - A Shot in the Dark, Inspector Clouseau, The Pink Panther Strikes Again, Revenge of the Pink Panther, Trail of the Pink Panther, Curse of the Pink Panther, Son of the Pink Panther and The Pink Panther (2006) - as well as all 9 Pink Panther: Cartoon Collection volumes AND a new book (Pink Panther, The Ultimate Guide to the Coolest Cat in Town!) written by Jerry Beck. All of this is packaged in a furry pink collector's case.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents
Old 09-02-08, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I have the earlier box set that was released a few years ago. That's fine by me, no need for this one. Espescially for $200.
Old 09-02-08, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those of you interested, I have the full text of the press release and a currently-exclusive look at the packaging for this release.
Old 09-03-08, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When does Anchor Bay's home video rights to Return of PP expire? These incomplete collections just annoy me.
Old 09-03-08, 07:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hasslein
When does Anchor Bay's home video rights to Return of PP expire? These incomplete collections just annoy me.
Universal has the rights and they re-released the film on DVD back in 2006. It can be found very cheaply at several retailers.

http://www.amazon.com/Return-Pink-Pa...0446255&sr=1-1

Old 09-03-08, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Just another over-bloated box set. Cardboard sleeves ... I'm excited.
Old 09-03-08, 08:56 AM

Yes, that Universal release was on 1/10/2006, and is still in print per Uni's password-protected press site (I just checked) with a list price of $14.98. I bought my copy of that for $9.99 at Best Buy on street date.

I also have the previous DVD release from July 1999, which I had picked up from Wal-Mart's $5.88 bargain bin. It was put out by Artisan (not Anchor Bay).

The ownership is pretty well described at the WikiPedia entry for this film:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_of_the_pink_panther

Like the previous three Panther films, "Return" was released by United Artists. However, United Artists was not directly involved in the production of this film.

At the time of its release, UA sold their rights to independent company ITC Entertainment, which intended to make a Pink Panther television miniseries starring Sellers and Lom. However, early in pre-production, ITC made the decision to make a feature film.

Although UA continues to hold the copyright as well as theatrical distribution rights (as MGM currently holds theatrical rights to the ITC feature film library), they do not hold all other ancillary rights, including home video. This caused "Return" to enter litigation for a brief time, which is why MGM Home Entertainment did not include "Return" in a 2004 DVD box set of "Pink Panther" films or the 2008 "Ultimate" collection, and will not do so for future collections. MGM was also not given permission to include material from this movie in its 2006 publication "Pink Panther: The Ultimate Guide to the Coolest Cat in Town", although footage from the movie does appear in the ending credits of Trail of the Pink Panther, since due to theatrical distribution rights, they could include it in a feature film and consequently, that film's home video release.

The remaining rights to "Return" have reverted to Universal Pictures (via its Focus Features division), which recently assumed the video rights from Artisan/Lions Gate Home Entertainment.

The complete list of films in the series:
  1. The Pink Panther (1963)
  2. A Shot in the Dark (1964)
  3. Inspector Clouseau (1968)
  4. The Return of the Pink Panther (1975)
  5. The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976)
  6. Revenge of the Pink Panther (1978)
  7. Trail of the Pink Panther (1982)
  8. Curse of the Pink Panther (1983)
  9. Son of the Pink Panther (1993)
  10. The Pink Panther (2006; Steve Martin)

EDIT: Jerry Beck is reportedly amused that his 3-year-old "Ult PP" book is being included in this set, since "you can (now) buy a copy of (the) Pink Panther Guide for as little as 24¢ on Amazon"!

Last edited by David Lambert; 09-03-08 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-03-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
I read a completely different account once in a video business magazine. United Artists sold several films to ITC for television distribution, among them The Eagle Has Landed, The Cassandra Crossing, Capricorn One. Return Of The Pink Panther was thrown in to get them to take the deal. The carrot and the stick. United Artists DID produce the film just like the others. It appears in big letters during the main title animation sequence"Produced by United Artists". UA retained the other rights. most of them were released on video by CBS Fox who released all UA films to vhs before Turner acquired MGM and rolled all the pre-MGM/UA United Artists features into MGM/UA. It was at this time that Artisan got the video rights. Don't know the story behind that.
The Wikipedia story is wrong. IMDB has their facts wrong also. They have some of these films being released by Columbia and WB theatrically. If you look up a picture of the original U.S. movie posters you will see a big fat United Artists logo on them.

What pisses me off about this set is I have the film set, cartoon set and single disc of Inspector cartoons. This set has a second disc of Inspector cartoons not available seperately.

Last edited by rw2516; 09-03-08 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-03-08, 05:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hasslein
That saved me the question if the whole series is in this set.
Old 09-04-08, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I might get it, but it will have to be on pretty good sale.

I really wish MGM would give some love to the other films in the franchise, mainly the first sequel, A Shot in the Dark, which I think is far and away the best movie in the series.
Old 09-05-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They had better release that second set of Inspector cartoons separately, goddammit.
Old 09-05-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by droidguy1119

I really wish MGM would give some love to the other films in the franchise, mainly the first sequel, A Shot in the Dark, which I think is far and away the best movie in the series.
A Shot in the Dark is the best movie of the set. They did a good job on that movie in the original box set I thought.
Old 09-05-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I sort of see "A Shot in the Dark" as the first movie in the series. The Clouseau character and that trademark Pink Panther-style comedy really comes together for the first time in this one.

But my personal favorite is "Return." So many great moments, like the fight with Cato. Ironically, it's never included in these sets.