Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

south park previous seasons, any chance for uncensored audio too?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

south park previous seasons, any chance for uncensored audio too?

Old 08-06-08, 04:15 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,263
south park previous seasons, any chance for uncensored audio too?

I was reading the review on here for the 11th season, and noticed that on that particular season, they don't bleep the bad words. i'd be willing to re buy the early seasons, if they didnt' have bleeps (the club houses episode is especially bad).

would anyone else here be interested in these?
Rypro 525 is offline  
Old 08-06-08, 04:16 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
pinata242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 30,155
I wouldn't rebuy just for that as there's charm in it being bleeped.

That said, I think I'd rather these be censored too, but it won't stop me buying them.
pinata242 is offline  
Old 08-06-08, 04:19 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,862
Originally Posted by pinata242
I wouldn't rebuy just for that as there's charm in it being bleeped.

That said, I think I'd rather these be censored too, but it won't stop me buying them.
And Matt and Trey agree with you. They SELF CENSOR the show. It is more funny with the bleeps in and they incorporate it into the script for the most part. I believe only the 11th season had some "uncensored" moments when they aired after the East Coast 10pm EST time presentation (because West Coast gets the same feed and would be airing the 10pm EST at 7pm which is a no-no).
rfduncan is offline  
Old 08-06-08, 04:33 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,263
i can see their point. i just remebered a joke from i think the clubhouse episode
'Hey back off BEEEEEP' 'Gasp, you just said the c word' (thinks to himself) 'did i?'
Rypro 525 is offline  
Old 08-06-08, 05:04 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Bluelitespecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,655
no, because in the case of South Park its a lot more funny hearing the bleeps included.
Bluelitespecial is offline  
Old 08-06-08, 05:17 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Detroit
Posts: 3,518
Some shows are actually a lot funnier with the bleeps. With that said, I wish there was a DVD audio option to turn them on and off. "Chappelle's Show," for instance, I found the bleeps to be just as hilarious if not funnier than the uncensored show, but I like having the option to hear it uncensored. "Arrested Development" features profanity on occasion, and while I would like to hear what some of Buster's obscene rants consist of, I also realize that the fact it's so bleeped makes it very funny. So give us a bleep track, DVD makers.
Kory is offline  
Old 08-06-08, 05:23 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,866
oh come on!!! wasn't part of what was so funny about the very first episode when Kyle laid the aliens with an explicit-filled rant that was completely bleeped out, so you have no idea what was said
nothingfails is offline  
Old 08-06-08, 06:17 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
hasslein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sunny CA
Posts: 2,600
I like the bleeps better as well. Family Guy I watch with the bleeps, rather than uncensored.
hasslein is offline  
Old 08-06-08, 07:34 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Posts: 3,905
It could go either way for me....depends on the joke. South Park works well censored, Family Guy not so much. I would prefer options for both, but I'll take what I can get.
macnorton is offline  
Old 08-06-08, 07:46 PM
  #10  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 890
This very reason is why I thought the movie sucked... With all of the cursing it just made it a vial piece of crap without the humor and charm the show had.
puddytay is offline  
Old 08-06-08, 08:55 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Mikael79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: IA Now, From MN
Posts: 5,907
Originally Posted by puddytay
This very reason is why I thought the movie sucked... With all of the cursing it just made it a vial piece of crap without the humor and charm the show had.
I thought the South Park movie was well done and wouldn't consider it vile at all.
Mikael79 is offline  
Old 08-07-08, 12:44 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
The Monkees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,983
You can see uncensored episodes on SouthParkStudios.com
The Monkees is offline  
Old 08-07-08, 01:29 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Very far away..
Posts: 4,487
Originally Posted by puddytay
This very reason is why I thought the movie sucked... With all of the cursing it just made it a vial piece of crap without the humor and charm the show had.
Cursing was the ENTIRE point of the movie man. It was what it was about.
Gunde is offline  
Old 08-07-08, 07:40 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Relocated to Bot-Hell
Posts: 10,226
Keep the bleeps!
rexinnih is offline  
Old 08-07-08, 07:53 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,862
Originally Posted by Gunde
Cursing was the ENTIRE point of the movie man. It was what it was about.
Besides, it doesn't hurt anybody...

Cartman: Don't call me fat, you fucking Jew!
Mr. Garrison: Eric, did you just say the F-word?
Cartman: Jew?
Kyle: No, he's talking about "fuck". You can't say "fuck" in school, you fucking fat ass!
Mr. Garrison: Kyle!
Cartman: Why the fuck not?
Mr. Garrison: Eric!
Stan: Dude, you just said "fuck" again!
Mr. Garrison: Stanley!
Kenny: Fuck!
Mr. Garrison: Kenny!
Cartman: What's the big deal? It doesn't hurt anybody. Fuck-fuckety-fuck-fuck-fuck.
Mr. Garrison: How would you like to go see the school counselor?
Cartman: How would you like to suck my balls?
Mr. Garrison: What did you say?
Cartman: I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Actually, what I meant to say was... [picks up a megaphone] HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO SUCK MY BALLS, MR. GARRISON?
Stan: Holy shit, dude.


Last edited by rfduncan; 08-07-08 at 07:55 AM.
rfduncan is offline  
Old 08-07-08, 09:07 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,883
Originally Posted by rfduncan
And Matt and Trey agree with you. They SELF CENSOR the show. It is more funny with the bleeps in and they incorporate it into the script for the most part. I believe only the 11th season had some "uncensored" moments when they aired after the East Coast 10pm EST time presentation (because West Coast gets the same feed and would be airing the 10pm EST at 7pm which is a no-no).
West Coast gets a west coast feed. It's never been on at 7pm here. It comes on at 10pm here, except for the 9:30 repeat.
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi is offline  
Old 08-07-08, 11:57 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,326
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
West Coast gets a west coast feed. It's never been on at 7pm here. It comes on at 10pm here, except for the 9:30 repeat.
Not if you have DirecTV (or Dish Net, I am guessing).
SexualPudding is offline  
Old 08-07-08, 02:41 PM
  #18  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 67
Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Not if you have DirecTV (or Dish Net, I am guessing).
Yes, I have Dish Network and SP comes on at 7:00.
Rusty Nail is offline  
Old 08-07-08, 03:28 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 13,019
Originally Posted by puddytay
This very reason is why I thought the movie sucked... With all of the cursing it just made it a vial piece of crap without the humor and charm the show had.

To expand on what the others said, not only is the cursing part of the plot of the movie, if they hadn't been censoring the the show for all the years before the movie was done, then the movie wouldn't have had nearly the impact that it did.

I'm actually a little disappointed that they're going to uncensored DVDs for two reasons:

A. I've always considered it a part of the art. Stone and Parker know the restrictions, and the dialogue is written so the bleep enhances, rather than detracts.

B. I simply don't like a lot of cursing. Too many times it's just lazy writing. As noted, the movie is an exception because it was the point. I like to be able to focus on the story Matt and Trey are telling without the language getting in the way.


I haven't checked the specs too closely, will the new DVD have both uncensored and the original track?
milo bloom is offline  
Old 08-07-08, 04:17 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,883
Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Not if you have DirecTV (or Dish Net, I am guessing).
I just have regular cable, not some fancy, magic tv with a dish.
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi is offline  
Old 08-07-08, 05:11 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hawkeye Country
Posts: 2,415
Chalk me up as one who most certainly thinks the "bleeps" are part of the show and wouldn't want to watch it "un-censored." They are not all there just to bleep out the bad words. I doubt the dialog would be the same if it was never bleeped.

They even did a show where they didn't bleep out the swear words (they had a counter at the bottom) to make that point...among others.
Numes is offline  
Old 08-07-08, 08:54 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: All things 'GO
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by rfduncan
I believe only the 11th season had some "uncensored" moments when they aired after the East Coast 10pm EST time presentation (because West Coast gets the same feed and would be airing the 10pm EST at 7pm which is a no-no).
Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Not if you have DirecTV (or Dish Net, I am guessing).
On cable, you can do whatever you want, whenever you want. It's self regulated so there aren't any "no-nos" as long as companies buy up ad time.
worrywort is offline  
Old 08-07-08, 09:00 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,883
Originally Posted by worrywort
On cable, you can do whatever you want, whenever you want. It's self regulated so there aren't any "no-nos" as long as companies buy up ad time.
No, you can't. To broadcast, one needs a license and the FCC will fine broadcasters as well as television stations if they don't follow rules.
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi is offline  
Old 08-08-08, 06:39 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 8,444
The syndicated TV versions have more 'bleeps' than the regular versions- they'll make it longer if you can hear the beginning or end of the word, and they tend to bleep the "hole" part of "asshole" and "butthole" too.

The Christmas disc (which I got only because I'm a completist) has uncensored closed captions for the first 4 episodes even though the audio is bleeped.
Alan Smithee is offline  
Old 08-09-08, 07:00 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: closer than you'd like
Posts: 1,672
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
No, you can't. To broadcast, one needs a license and the FCC will fine broadcasters as well as television stations if they don't follow rules.
I haven't lived in the US for a few years, but I thought the FCC could only regulate "decency" on the public airwaves (AM/FM/VHF/UHF ranges, not cable, not satellite). Comedy Central doesn't use public airwaves, does it?
Cheato is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.