DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   south park previous seasons, any chance for uncensored audio too? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/537242-south-park-previous-seasons-any-chance-uncensored-audio-too.html)

Rypro 525 08-06-08 04:15 PM

south park previous seasons, any chance for uncensored audio too?

I was reading the review on here for the 11th season, and noticed that on that particular season, they don't bleep the bad words. i'd be willing to re buy the early seasons, if they didnt' have bleeps (the club houses episode is especially bad).

would anyone else here be interested in these?

pinata242 08-06-08 04:16 PM

I wouldn't rebuy just for that as there's charm in it being bleeped.

That said, I think I'd rather these be censored too, but it won't stop me buying them.

rfduncan 08-06-08 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
I wouldn't rebuy just for that as there's charm in it being bleeped.

That said, I think I'd rather these be censored too, but it won't stop me buying them.

And Matt and Trey agree with you. They SELF CENSOR the show. It is more funny with the bleeps in and they incorporate it into the script for the most part. I believe only the 11th season had some "uncensored" moments when they aired after the East Coast 10pm EST time presentation (because West Coast gets the same feed and would be airing the 10pm EST at 7pm which is a no-no).

Rypro 525 08-06-08 04:33 PM

i can see their point. i just remebered a joke from i think the clubhouse episode
'Hey back off BEEEEEP' 'Gasp, you just said the c word' (thinks to himself) 'did i?'

Bluelitespecial 08-06-08 05:04 PM

no, because in the case of South Park its a lot more funny hearing the bleeps included.

Kory 08-06-08 05:17 PM

Some shows are actually a lot funnier with the bleeps. With that said, I wish there was a DVD audio option to turn them on and off. "Chappelle's Show," for instance, I found the bleeps to be just as hilarious if not funnier than the uncensored show, but I like having the option to hear it uncensored. "Arrested Development" features profanity on occasion, and while I would like to hear what some of Buster's obscene rants consist of, I also realize that the fact it's so bleeped makes it very funny. So give us a bleep track, DVD makers.

nothingfails 08-06-08 05:23 PM

oh come on!!! wasn't part of what was so funny about the very first episode when Kyle laid the aliens with an explicit-filled rant that was completely bleeped out, so you have no idea what was said

hasslein 08-06-08 06:17 PM

I like the bleeps better as well. Family Guy I watch with the bleeps, rather than uncensored.

macnorton 08-06-08 07:34 PM

It could go either way for me....depends on the joke. South Park works well censored, Family Guy not so much. I would prefer options for both, but I'll take what I can get.

DVDTalker002 08-06-08 07:46 PM

This very reason is why I thought the movie sucked... With all of the cursing it just made it a vial piece of crap without the humor and charm the show had.

Mikael79 08-06-08 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by puddytay
This very reason is why I thought the movie sucked... With all of the cursing it just made it a vial piece of crap without the humor and charm the show had.

I thought the South Park movie was well done and wouldn't consider it vile at all.

The Monkees 08-07-08 12:44 AM

You can see uncensored episodes on SouthParkStudios.com

Gunde 08-07-08 01:29 AM

Cursing was the ENTIRE point of the movie man. It was what it was about.

rexinnih 08-07-08 07:40 AM

Keep the bleeps!

rfduncan 08-07-08 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Gunde
Cursing was the ENTIRE point of the movie man. It was what it was about.

Besides, it doesn't hurt anybody...

Cartman: Don't call me fat, you fucking Jew!
Mr. Garrison: Eric, did you just say the F-word?
Cartman: Jew?
Kyle: No, he's talking about "fuck". You can't say "fuck" in school, you fucking fat ass!
Mr. Garrison: Kyle!
Cartman: Why the fuck not?
Mr. Garrison: Eric!
Stan: Dude, you just said "fuck" again!
Mr. Garrison: Stanley!
Kenny: Fuck!
Mr. Garrison: Kenny!
Cartman: What's the big deal? It doesn't hurt anybody. Fuck-fuckety-fuck-fuck-fuck.
Mr. Garrison: How would you like to go see the school counselor?
Cartman: How would you like to suck my balls?
Mr. Garrison: What did you say?
Cartman: I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Actually, what I meant to say was... [picks up a megaphone] HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO SUCK MY BALLS, MR. GARRISON?
Stan: Holy shit, dude.

rotfl

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 08-07-08 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
And Matt and Trey agree with you. They SELF CENSOR the show. It is more funny with the bleeps in and they incorporate it into the script for the most part. I believe only the 11th season had some "uncensored" moments when they aired after the East Coast 10pm EST time presentation (because West Coast gets the same feed and would be airing the 10pm EST at 7pm which is a no-no).

West Coast gets a west coast feed. It's never been on at 7pm here. It comes on at 10pm here, except for the 9:30 repeat.

SexualPudding 08-07-08 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
West Coast gets a west coast feed. It's never been on at 7pm here. It comes on at 10pm here, except for the 9:30 repeat.

Not if you have DirecTV (or Dish Net, I am guessing).

Rusty Nail 08-07-08 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by SexualPudding

Yes, I have Dish Network and SP comes on at 7:00.

milo bloom 08-07-08 03:28 PM

To expand on what the others said, not only is the cursing part of the plot of the movie, if they hadn't been censoring the the show for all the years before the movie was done, then the movie wouldn't have had nearly the impact that it did.

I'm actually a little disappointed that they're going to uncensored DVDs for two reasons:

A. I've always considered it a part of the art. Stone and Parker know the restrictions, and the dialogue is written so the bleep enhances, rather than detracts.

B. I simply don't like a lot of cursing. Too many times it's just lazy writing. As noted, the movie is an exception because it was the point. I like to be able to focus on the story Matt and Trey are telling without the language getting in the way.

I haven't checked the specs too closely, will the new DVD have both uncensored and the original track?

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 08-07-08 04:17 PM

I just have regular cable, not some fancy, magic tv with a dish.

Numes 08-07-08 05:11 PM

Chalk me up as one who most certainly thinks the "bleeps" are part of the show and wouldn't want to watch it "un-censored." They are not all there just to bleep out the bad words. I doubt the dialog would be the same if it was never bleeped.

They even did a show where they didn't bleep out the swear words (they had a counter at the bottom) to make that point...among others.

worrywort 08-07-08 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I believe only the 11th season had some "uncensored" moments when they aired after the East Coast 10pm EST time presentation (because West Coast gets the same feed and would be airing the 10pm EST at 7pm which is a no-no).

On cable, you can do whatever you want, whenever you want. It's self regulated so there aren't any "no-nos" as long as companies buy up ad time.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 08-07-08 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by worrywort
On cable, you can do whatever you want, whenever you want. It's self regulated so there aren't any "no-nos" as long as companies buy up ad time.

No, you can't. To broadcast, one needs a license and the FCC will fine broadcasters as well as television stations if they don't follow rules.

Alan Smithee 08-08-08 06:39 PM

The syndicated TV versions have more 'bleeps' than the regular versions- they'll make it longer if you can hear the beginning or end of the word, and they tend to bleep the "hole" part of "asshole" and "butthole" too.

The Christmas disc (which I got only because I'm a completist) has uncensored closed captions for the first 4 episodes even though the audio is bleeped.

Cheato 08-09-08 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
No, you can't. To broadcast, one needs a license and the FCC will fine broadcasters as well as television stations if they don't follow rules.

I haven't lived in the US for a few years, but I thought the FCC could only regulate "decency" on the public airwaves (AM/FM/VHF/UHF ranges, not cable, not satellite). Comedy Central doesn't use public airwaves, does it?