Old 10-16-08, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Thanks!

Damn you cardboard sleeves!
Old 10-16-08, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another release in cardboard sleeves, oh brother. Guess I am not getting this then. When did studios put out a survey that came back, "Yes, I as a consumer want dvd packaging that scratches my discs so I have to replace them often. In my spare time, I burn money."
Old 10-16-08, 05:48 PM

I already had Lifeboat S.E. & just picked up these 3:

Old 10-16-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ethan VanSciver
Aw hell. AMAZON sent me mine with the plastic casing cracked apart. Anyone else get a damaged one?
I received it today, 2 large cracks and its falling apart at the seams.

WTF! Amazon shipped it to me in Canada packaged inside a cheap bubble wrap mailer.

They've always used cardboard boxes in the past.

Last edited by J.P.V.; 10-16-08 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-16-08, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Stamina
I already had Lifeboat S.E. & just picked up these 3:

Don't you want The Lodger, for instance?
Old 10-16-08, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
I really wish the Lodger was available separately. I have no need to double-dip all the Criterions that I already have.
Old 10-17-08, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by J.P.V.
I received it today, 2 large cracks and its falling apart at the seams.

WTF! Amazon shipped it to me in Canada packaged inside a cheap bubble wrap mailer.

They've always used cardboard boxes in the past.
Yeah, this thing is beautiful, but impossibly fragile. It should be delivered by cupid on a feather pillow, not tossed inside an envelope and stomped on by an unhinged UPS employee. (Like mine is.)

Still, I did return it to Amazon, and within two days I had a new one that came undamaged, miraculously surviving the same bubble-package that you received.
Old 10-17-08, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by kefrank
I really wish the Lodger was available separately. I have no need to double-dip all the Criterions that I already have.
The extra features all seem to be exclusive to these discs though, and retain few if any of the Criterion special features. That, and the fact that it's such a beautiful package (the most attractive Hitchcock release to date, including that fuzzy maroon boxed set) means you should get it!

Plus, The Paradine Case. I had a copy, but it's a rare British import, and it's not framed very well.
Old 10-17-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank
Well I too have all the Hitchcock Criterions and I'm still getting the box, since they all have new extras, like new commentaries and other features.
Old 10-17-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cardboard sleeves = no sale. these things are worse than digital copies.
Old 10-17-08, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
cardboard sleeves = no sale. these things are worse than digital copies.
People say that, but I don't know why cardboard would scratch a dvd. I've had more trouble with stubborn "press tabs" that force me to literally bend a disc backwards to free it.

The recent Simpsons season 11 dvd release was problematic because it forced you to actually reach into a cardboard pocket and grab the DVD at the edge. There's no way to avoid finger prints on the surface, and if you happen to also be eating fried chicken like I always am, this causes damage.

This Hitchcock set is a fairly simple routine. Slide it out of a half pocket, and bang, it's ready to go. It'd be hard to damage the disc this way, unless you reinforce the sleeve with 7 or 8 staples. Which you'd be silly to do.
Old 10-17-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The "cardboard sleeves" are not a problem. They are a smooth, heavy paper that is NOT going to scratch the discs. I have the collection and the only thing I don't like about the packaging is that it doesn't fit on my DVD rack. Whose bright idea was that?
Old 10-17-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by jmj713
Well I too have all the Hitchcock Criterions and I'm still getting the box, since they all have new extras, like new commentaries and other features.
I hear ya, but at this point in my movie collecting, I just don't feel the need to double-dip strictly for different extras. I'm definitely tempted, because I want the Lodger, Young & Innocent and Sabotage and I think the packaging looks nice, but the current price is not worth it for only three discs that I really want. Realistically, if this gets a price drop in a few months, I will probably not be able to resist any longer.
Old 10-20-08, 10:41 AM
crs

Anyone buy this set and watched the discs yet? All my discs are completely fubar... some discs don't play at all, while some has severe playback problems at various running times.

I did a disc quality scan on all discs in a computer, error rates are through the roof after 3-4 GB on most of them.
Old 10-20-08, 11:57 AM

Mine all work so far.
Old 10-20-08, 12:08 PM
crs

Hmm, well people on Amazon had problems too... I suggest everyone check their discs, better safe than sorry I guess...

Rebecca and Notorious was two of the worst discs in the set, btw.

Last edited by crs; 10-20-08 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-20-08, 07:20 PM

First time poster. Four of the discs in my set will not even spool up and cause a tremendous racket in my player. Kudos to DVD Planet for immediately putting a new one in the mail to me.

Also, those of you debating the double dip should know that the extras on the Notorious disc are among the most banal I have ever experienced. The documentaries lack authority and say nothing new and the Truffaut and Bogdanovich audio interviews are accompanied by a blank screen! Why not insert the photo gallery into this feature? Stick to your Criterions! MGM... issue the Lodger as a stand-alone disc.
Old 10-20-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by crs
Anyone buy this set and watched the discs yet? All my discs are completely fubar... some discs don't play at all, while some has severe playback problems at various running times.

I did a disc quality scan on all discs in a computer, error rates are through the roof after 3-4 GB on most of them.
Wow that sucks.

I looked at the set over the weekend at a local DVD/CD store and almost picked it up. I was willing to look past the packaging and now I have to worry about disc issues?

Yikes
Old 10-20-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to hear more about disc errors as well...I have a set waiting on me...
Old 10-20-08, 07:35 PM
crs

My set was refunded... I think they simply thought re-shipping a new set was futile... apparently this isn't just on a handful of the sets, but quite a lot of them.
Old 10-21-08, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
I'd like to hear more about disc errors as well...I have a set waiting on me...
It is a manufacturing error in the discs themselves. On my player, after the disc is inserted a horrible rattling noise ensues and after multiple punches to the eject button the thing thankfully comes out. The last time I experienced this was with the Blue Underground box set of Jess Franco Christopher Lee films. I expect to have the same problems with the replacement set that's coming in the mail.
Old 10-21-08, 04:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Bought the new "Notorious" separately. I haven't had any problems so far. Listened to the first commentary. Very informative, though a little on the dry side. I hope the other commentary is more interesting. I agree with R. Hilton, that they should have had something on the screen (a shot of Hitchcock, a poster gallery, something) to accompany the audio interviews. The interview with Truffaut goes on for about 17 minutes!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.