Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Freaks and Geeks Yearbook to be re-released?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Freaks and Geeks Yearbook to be re-released?

Old 06-24-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember liking the show, but honestly, didnt buy the yearbook, and havent seen an episode since it went off. I would like to see it again though, so although I would usually side on the mindset of not re-releasing it, this time I wouldnt mind.
Old 06-24-08, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by droidguy1119
As I've said, I don't see why Shout! Factory couldn't do a "Special Edition" release of the standard DVD with the two extra discs, and perhaps the "Yearbook" stuff downsized into a standard paper booklet, which would allow fans to get the content without devaluing something the creators of the show themselves promised the fans was special and worth paying the extra money for.
The value of the set is in the quality of the extra content and not in how rare it is.
Old 06-24-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by clckworang
Another owner of the Yearbook edition here. I have mixed feelings about this possible re-release. On one hand, I think it's great that the extra features will be available to more people, but I do find it a little upsetting that the mold wasn't broken like we were told.

I don't plan to ever sell my set. I love it and I love the show. But some of us scraped together money at the time of the original release, probably paid obscene shipping rates, too, just to buy this at the only place it was available. Now, many people are probably going to get better deals precisely because they waited. It actually wouldn't bother me if the discs were made available without the yearbook packaging.

The yearbook was supposed to be a reward for those fans who were loyal to a neglected show and who doggedly sought out its eventual DVD release. Without that rabid fan support lobbying for a DVD release, you think F&G would have even received the regular edition DVD it got (which is still a very good package)?

And comparing this to realizing there is a sale on shoes across town is ludicrous. The people who purchased this set went into it with full knowledge. And you know what else? I'll be the first to admit that having the F&G Yearbook edition was actually a source of pride. It was something I knew only a select few had and it showed our commitment to a great show.

And did I buy the set merely to "feel special" as others have suggested or just to have something that's collectible? No, I bought it to enjoy it because I loved the show. But as I said earlier, the set was really meant as a reward to those loyal fans that fought and lobbied for a really long time to get the show released on DVD. In that context, I think the Yearbook Edition takes on a little bit more meaning. And yes, I think that meaning is diminished by releasing it again.

I'd be perfectly fine if they released it in a boxset with the yearbook stuff in a small collectible booklet and all 8 discs. But to re-release what was suppose to be limited set (and then destroying the molds) just blows.
Old 06-25-08, 02:53 PM

I really don't understand the fuss here. I was too young to get into Freaks and Geeks when it aired, not to mention out of the country. I only got into the show a couple of years ago and since then I've become a huge huge fan. I see no reason why it would be a bad thing to allow a big fan like me to purchase a new copy of the yearbook.
Old 06-25-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Arrested Development was one show, and certainly wasn't a coming of age show in the vein of "Freaks and Geeks." Even so, "30 Rock" is a brilliant new comedy. Many love "The Office" and some would even throw in "My Name is Earl," so I don't see how your point has any merit.
When I read your post I guess at that time I felt you were making two points: a) not supporting a yearbook release was limiting the show's reach and b) this is the kind of thinking that prevents great shows like this from reaching the masses, achieving popularity, and becoming common. Looking at it now, maybe that's not what you were saying, but my point was that a) the standard set is widely available for any new would-be fans to pick up (and it would satisfy a great majority of them), and b) that the existence of other really great cult comedy TV shows has not increased the amount of them being made, yet.
Old 06-25-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Frozenhamster
I really don't understand the fuss here.
I bought the standard release when the choice was available and don't plan on rebuying, so I'm not even affected, but I can see where the upset current yearbook owners are coming from. Similiar comments have been made by owners of the Buffy complete set when it seemed to be long sold out and Amazon and other retailers kept "finding" copies months later.

The note seems to really set this situation apart, though. What originally reads as a nice thank you note and multiple promise of collectability is soured by a cash grab to capitalize on the Apatow crew's popularity.

Obviously Shout should maximize what they've got by getting a good F&G's set to possible new fans, but it'd be nice if they at least packaged it differently as has been suggested.
Old 06-25-08, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by dvd182
I bought the standard release when the choice was available and don't plan on rebuying, so I'm not even affected, but I can see where the upset current yearbook owners are coming from. Similiar comments have been made by owners of the Buffy complete set when it seemed to be long sold out and Amazon and other retailers kept "finding" copies months later.

The note seems to really set this situation apart, though. What originally reads as a nice thank you note and multiple promise of collectability is soured by a cash grab to capitalize on the Apatow crew's popularity.

Obviously Shout should maximize what they've got by getting a good F&G's set to possible new fans, but it'd be nice if they at least packaged it differently as has been suggested.
Except that I wouldn't see it as a cash-grab. I'd see it as a welcome and a thank you to all the new fans who are so dedicated to the show and have been clamoring to get the yearbook. I don't have the show on dvd because I've been waiting to get it for a good price on Amazon. I can wait longer, but if they re-release it i wont have to. I think it would simply be a nice gesture.
Old 06-25-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is it also known if Shout made back their money on the cost of the music rights for F&G?
Old 06-27-08, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

wow, i was just about to buy the dvd set on DDD during their sale - i guess i should wait then and buy this instead? any idea how much it will cost?
Old 06-27-08, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by atari2600
wow, i was just about to buy the dvd set on DDD during their sale - i guess i should wait then and buy this instead? any idea how much it will cost?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B73PTO?...89&camp=211189
Old 06-28-08, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yikes - thats expensive. how much was it when you guys originally bought it years ago?
Old 06-28-08, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 911 Likes on 589 Posts
$120.
Old 06-28-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
I'm in the "sort of offended" camp. I know titles, even "limited editions", sometimes get reprinted, and sometimes a store or distributor finds a case of a long-sold-out title and ships it out. That doesn't really bother me, especially if the reprints are physically different. But when the creator of the IP writes a big note "to the fans" about how this is a one time only, superspecial, never gonna do it again, thank you to the fans, then a rerelease is scheduled, that's a bit of an insult. Depending on who has the rights, I guess it just goes to show don't trust anybody, and even the most "independent" person isn't too independent when someone offers them a truckload of cash.
Well, at least the reprint isn't 60 bucks or so, that would *really* tick me off.
Old 06-28-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe they'll change it up by having Lindsay's yearbook instead. And she'll have inexplicably cut out huge, photoshopped looking photos of her good friends Daniel (James Franco), Nick (Jason Segal) & Ken (Seth Rogen) and glued them to the cover.
Old 06-29-08, 02:26 AM

I wanted to get this after I picked up the 6 disc set, but it was too expensive.

Looks like I'll be able to get it now!
Old 06-29-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Is it also known if Shout made back their money on the cost of the music rights for F&G?
Some of the music was in fact replaced with elevator-type music. They didn't license 100% of what was on on TV...maybe 60-70%. The important songs are there.
Old 06-30-08, 09:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rizor
Maybe they'll change it up by having Lindsay's yearbook instead.
That's a good idea, at least fans who bought the first release would have something unique.
Old 06-30-08, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Some of the music was in fact replaced with elevator-type music. They didn't license 100% of what was on on TV...maybe 60-70%. The important songs are there.
This info is incorrect. ALL of the music was licensed and is intact on the dvds as it was when it originally aired on tv.
Old 06-30-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm a fan that got into the show later on, so the opportunity to purchase this set is pretty sweet. I'm not sure whether or not I'll buy it, since I have the regular set, but it's nice ot know if I want it, it's there.
Old 07-02-08, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought two copies of the yearbook when it came out. Sold one later that year for not much more than I paid. Considering what it goes for on eBay, I think I'll sell the other one. I adore the show, but after watching the two extra discs last summer, I don't think it's worth hanging on to if I can get that much for it. The yearbook itself is a great feature, but I haven't really revisited it much in four years and am not likely to a whole lot down the road.
Old 07-02-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That's my only issue with the yearbook as well. It's brilliant and I love it, but how often will I open it up and enjoy it? Maybe once every 3-4 yrs?
Old 07-02-08, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
The yearbook is a great way of introducing new people to the series. I had it when I was in college and everybody asked why I had this yearbook from 1980, after I explained and forced them to watch the pilot, they were hooked.
Old 07-18-08, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Has anyone had an experience replacing defective discs with Shout Factory? Since the Yearbook is being produced again, what are the odds of them replacing the 2 bonus discs?
Old 07-18-08, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mountain Biker
Has anyone had an experience replacing defective discs with Shout Factory? Since the Yearbook is being produced again, what are the odds of them replacing the 2 bonus discs?
I can't speak for Shout Factory, but generally as long as you return the defective disc they are really good about it.

I've done it 3 times I can remember:
-Traffic Criterion, bonus disc was pixeling often, no problems Criterion very nice.
-Bourne Supremacy, crack in the inner shell, still replaced it although properly my fault.
-Planet Earth, again a skipping and pixelation problem with no scratches, BBC also replaced it no problem.

Now on topic:
SUPER EXCITED ABOUT THIS RELEASE!
Old 07-29-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And it's been announced.

Shout factory is a bunch of liars. They'll never seen another penny from me again. Break the mold and never release it again my ass.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.