Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Freaks and Geeks Yearbook to be re-released?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Freaks and Geeks Yearbook to be re-released?

Old 06-23-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Just as I don't feel bad for people that buy iPods 15days before a keynote. Or people that buy any type of electronics when a new one is around the corner.
I would not expect you to. That's because you're not selling them those iPods or other electronics at a ridiculously inflated price.

Hmmmm.... what could be the point of failure with your analogy?

Old 06-23-08, 12:16 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
I would not expect you to. That's because you're not selling them those iPods or other electronics at a ridiculously inflated price.

Hmmmm.... what could be the point of failure with your analogy?

My point was if a customer is not going to research something before they drop major change on it, its not my problem.

I'm a fan of many movies and TV Shows. Does that mean everyone here should sell their rare, OOP DVDs to other members for less then the original MSRP because were movie fans? No, of course not. There going to get as much as they can.
Old 06-23-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a fan of many movies and TV Shows. Does that mean everyone here should sell their rare, OOP DVDs to other members for less then the original MSRP because were movie fans? No, of course not. There going to get as much as they can.
Your new scenario has almost nothing in common with this one.
Old 06-23-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the YBE also, but don't mind a re-release -- as long as they put a distinction in there, like a different colored binder (original was green). keeps everyone happy, especially to those that supported the show back when the set was first released.
Old 06-23-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I too have the YBE and am kinda peeved that this is getting re-released. I was hurting for money when I bought it a few years ago, I justified it by knowing that it was a true collectors piece that I could sell if I ever ran low on money again. I'm glad others get the chance to own this amazing set but it does diminish the value of mine.
Old 06-23-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If people want to resell the yearbook, what’s the problem? They paid for it, and they can choose to sell it. If I'm shopping for sneakers and I go to Foot Locker and pay $79.99 for the pair only to, afterwards, discover that I could’ve purchased the same pair fo $39.99 at Kohls due to a sale, I can't get upset at Foot Locker. My lack of due diligence resulted in me overpaying for the product.
Old 06-23-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My point was if a customer is not going to research something before they drop major change on it, its not my problem.
Agreed

Same way the minute I hear about a Blu-ray release the DVD goes out the door before it devalues any further.

BTW: I've seen this same angry reaction to a re-release of a rare game - Atlus was famous for this (SMT: Nocturne, etc). I don't get it. You still have your DVD set? What does it matter if someone else can buy it now?

If you bought it as a collectable for its monetary value, there's normally plenty of time to ebay it Gizmo style before most folks know there's a reprint coming out.

If you bought it because you love the show, then you still have it, what's the issue if others can buy it now? YOUR version is now less special or collectable? Please.
Old 06-23-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts
Who does the yearbook "belong to" in the context of the packaging? By that I mean, who are the people signing the messages to? Lindsay?
Old 06-23-08, 06:20 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Who does the yearbook "belong to" in the context of the packaging? By that I mean, who are the people signing the messages to? Lindsay?
They're written to Sam. Most characters have something written, even the teachers.
Old 06-23-08, 07:07 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
Agreed

Same way the minute I hear about a Blu-ray release the DVD goes out the door before it devalues any further.

BTW: I've seen this same angry reaction to a re-release of a rare game - Atlus was famous for this (SMT: Nocturne, etc). I don't get it. You still have your DVD set? What does it matter if someone else can buy it now?

If you bought it as a collectable for its monetary value, there's normally plenty of time to ebay it Gizmo style before most folks know there's a reprint coming out.

If you bought it because you love the show, then you still have it, what's the issue if others can buy it now? YOUR version is now less special or collectable? Please.
Those games were not released with Atlus saying "This is it. We are making x amount of copies and that's it. Never again will these be reprinted. We will be destroying the mold. You have a true collectible. I swear it". The yearbook, however, was sold to many of us with something very similar to that. Keep in mind those games were allocated to nearly every store when they first came out. The yearbook was only available online for those that knew when and where to order it (Though a few slipped through to Suncoast stores by accident). BIG difference there.
Old 06-23-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Those games were not released with Atlus saying "This is it. We are making x amount of copies and that's it. Never again will these be reprinted. We will be destroying the mold. You have a true collectible. I swear it". The yearbook, however, was sold to many of us with something very similar to that. Keep in mind those games were allocated to nearly every store when they first came out. The yearbook was only available online for those that knew when and where to order it (Though a few slipped through to Suncoast stores by accident). BIG difference there.
The difference being, apparently, that you should now take out your hostility against Atlus on another fan of the show? I still don't get it.

If I tripped on a crack in the floor that should have been fixed and broke my leg, I'd be pissed. If found out that I could erase my pain and suffering by taking a bat to somebody else's leg, I wouldn't. That's what you are doing, plain and simple.
Old 06-23-08, 10:31 PM

Its a good thing if more people can enjoy the contents of the Yearbook Edition. To those of you who are mad about the possible re-release, did you buy the Yearbook Edition to enjoy it or did you buy it to feel like you were part of a special club?
Old 06-23-08, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like the ones that missed out, I'm quite happy they are re-releasing the yearbook and all. But as a collector and someone that has jumped on certain limited run sets only to see them once again being produced, I feel your pain.
Old 06-24-08, 10:22 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Peep
The difference being, apparently, that you should now take out your hostility against Atlus on another fan of the show? I still don't get it.

If I tripped on a crack in the floor that should have been fixed and broke my leg, I'd be pissed. If found out that I could erase my pain and suffering by taking a bat to somebody else's leg, I wouldn't. That's what you are doing, plain and simple.
Whats with you and fans?

Please, let me know when you decide to sell some of your DVDs. I want to make sure you offer then at low, low prices regardless if they are OOP and rare. Ya know, cause this forum is a "fan" of DVDs and we should not have to pay anything more then MSRP for anything.
Old 06-24-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have never sold a rare or OOP title for a premium. I always look for another fan of the title. I'm not in the DVD collecting business to make money.

Regardless, I rarely comment on people who are.
Old 06-24-08, 11:26 AM

DVDs are not good investments. Its an anomaly if you can sell a DVD or a box set for profit. Buy them to be enjoyed, not to turn around for a profit later.
Old 06-24-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
Another owner of the Yearbook edition here. I have mixed feelings about this possible re-release. On one hand, I think it's great that the extra features will be available to more people, but I do find it a little upsetting that the mold wasn't broken like we were told.

I don't plan to ever sell my set. I love it and I love the show. But some of us scraped together money at the time of the original release, probably paid obscene shipping rates, too, just to buy this at the only place it was available. Now, many people are probably going to get better deals precisely because they waited. It actually wouldn't bother me if the discs were made available without the yearbook packaging.

The yearbook was supposed to be a reward for those fans who were loyal to a neglected show and who doggedly sought out its eventual DVD release. Without that rabid fan support lobbying for a DVD release, you think F&G would have even received the regular edition DVD it got (which is still a very good package)?

And comparing this to realizing there is a sale on shoes across town is ludicrous. The people who purchased this set went into it with full knowledge. And you know what else? I'll be the first to admit that having the F&G Yearbook edition was actually a source of pride. It was something I knew only a select few had and it showed our commitment to a great show.

And did I buy the set merely to "feel special" as others have suggested or just to have something that's collectible? No, I bought it to enjoy it because I loved the show. But as I said earlier, the set was really meant as a reward to those loyal fans that fought and lobbied for a really long time to get the show released on DVD. In that context, I think the Yearbook Edition takes on a little bit more meaning. And yes, I think that meaning is diminished by releasing it again.
Old 06-24-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm done commenting here. If somebody wants to open a topic for discussing the pros and cons of collecting for profit, please post a pointer and I'll gladly contribute.
Old 06-24-08, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm definitely excited about a re-release of this one!

Not the slightest bit surprised by the announcement, as they're simply trying to cash in on Apatow's stock while it's peaking.

On a related note, I'm still pissed about my "Limited Edition" numbered release of Army of Darkness I picked up in 1999 being re-released...about half a dozen times since then! LOL!
Old 06-24-08, 03:53 PM

I was a fan of Freaks & Geeks when it aired on TV.

I stuck with it when they were trying to get it on DVD.

When the Yearbook came out, I certainly wanted it, but could in no way afford it. In fact, I wasn't able to actually purchase the regular DVD until about a year after it was released.

I understand that the Yearbook was released for the fans, but there seems to be this almost elitist tone that fans who were able to buy the Yearbook when it came out are more deserving of the extra material than fans who may be just as loyal yet missed the initial opportunity.

It feels like people are griping that any schmo could now get what was exclusively for fans, but keep in mind...now FANS who missed their chance, who did not want to pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars after the fact, now will have their own chance to buy the set. And it will be at a price point that many consumers would balk at for 18 episodes, especially if they keep the current set in circulation.

A new release does not devalue an individual's enjoyment of the show. It's just a DVD for crying out loud.
Old 06-24-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,287 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by clckworang
Another owner of the Yearbook edition here. I have mixed feelings about this possible re-release. On one hand, I think it's great that the extra features will be available to more people, but I do find it a little upsetting that the mold wasn't broken like we were told.

I don't plan to ever sell my set. I love it and I love the show. But some of us scraped together money at the time of the original release, probably paid obscene shipping rates, too, just to buy this at the only place it was available. Now, many people are probably going to get better deals precisely because they waited. It actually wouldn't bother me if the discs were made available without the yearbook packaging.

The yearbook was supposed to be a reward for those fans who were loyal to a neglected show and who doggedly sought out its eventual DVD release. Without that rabid fan support lobbying for a DVD release, you think F&G would have even received the regular edition DVD it got (which is still a very good package)?

And comparing this to realizing there is a sale on shoes across town is ludicrous. The people who purchased this set went into it with full knowledge. And you know what else? I'll be the first to admit that having the F&G Yearbook edition was actually a source of pride. It was something I knew only a select few had and it showed our commitment to a great show.

And did I buy the set merely to "feel special" as others have suggested or just to have something that's collectible? No, I bought it to enjoy it because I loved the show. But as I said earlier, the set was really meant as a reward to those loyal fans that fought and lobbied for a really long time to get the show released on DVD. In that context, I think the Yearbook Edition takes on a little bit more meaning. And yes, I think that meaning is diminished by releasing it again.
Very nice post
Old 06-24-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang

The irony of your post is that the same fanbase of F&G that was so loyal was also very small. That same small but loyal fanbase watched the show die an early death because a larger audience wasn't present.

Now that more people have discovered this show and love it like you do--and no doubt would have supported it's initial NBC run and given the show a better chance for survival--you want to not allow these fans an opportunity to experience one of the best DVD sets ever created because you feel less special?

The truth is that more people knowing and loving this show means more dvd sales. And more dvd sales could in turn help get quality coming of age shows like Freaks and Geeks and The Wonder Years greenlit. And if more are greenlit, more have a better chance of survival.

And we all win.
Old 06-24-08, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Now that more people have discovered this show and love it like you do--and no doubt would have supported it's initial NBC run and given the show a better chance for survival--you want to not allow these fans an opportunity to experience one of the best DVD sets ever created because you feel less special?
This is a pretty ridiculous statement. The existence of Arrested Development on DVD hasn't resulted in an influx of quality comedy, and neither will an expanded "deluxe" release of a show that is already readily available in a standard set on DVD for the public to enjoy. As I've said, I don't see why Shout! Factory couldn't do a "Special Edition" release of the standard DVD with the two extra discs, and perhaps the "Yearbook" stuff downsized into a standard paper booklet, which would allow fans to get the content without devaluing something the creators of the show themselves promised the fans was special and worth paying the extra money for.
Old 06-24-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Arrested Development was one show, and certainly wasn't a coming of age show in the vein of "Freaks and Geeks." Even so, "30 Rock" is a brilliant new comedy. Many love "The Office" and some would even throw in "My Name is Earl," so I don't see how your point has any merit.
Old 06-24-08, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
As I've said, I don't see why Shout! Factory couldn't do a "Special Edition" release of the standard DVD with the two extra discs, and perhaps the "Yearbook" stuff downsized into a standard paper booklet, which would allow fans to get the content without devaluing something the creators of the show themselves promised the fans was special and worth paying the extra money for.
And that very well could be the plan. As far as I know, all we have is an Amazon listing for an 8 disc "Yearbook" set. That's it.

I think we can probably assume it's the same 8 discs, but we know virtually nothing about the packaging.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.