Unwatched Movie Pile: June 08

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Unwatched Movie Pile: June 08

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-08, 06:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Movies To Watch:(since June '08) 247 This number might go up in the next few days, I don't think I have all my movies in dvdspot

Movies Watched: 6
  • Feast of Love
  • The Girls Next Door: Season 2
  • Arrested Development: Season 2
  • Semi-Pro (Blu)
  • Arrested Development: Season 3
  • Married With Children: Season 1
  • Married With Children: Season 2 (15/22)

New Movies Bought: 19
  • Smallville: Season 6 (Blu)
  • Semi-Pro (Blu)
  • The Patriot (Blu)
  • Life of Brian (Blu)
  • Damages: Season 1 (Blu)
  • Married With Children: Season 2
  • Family Guy v. 5
  • Family Guy: Blue Harvest SE
  • Mork & Mindy: Season 1
  • Weeds: Season 3 (Blu)
  • Bruce Almighty (HD)
  • Laverne & Shirley: Season 1
  • That 70's Show: Season 2
  • 24: Season 1 SE
  • 24: Season 2
  • 24: Season 3
  • 24: Season 4
  • 24: Season 5
  • 24: Season 6

NF Watched:4

This Month's Net Change: +13

Total Net Change : +13

Last edited by HyperWeather; 06-30-08 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-08-08, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tscott
If I buy the DVD, but haven't watched the DVD then it counts as unwatched. It doesn't matter how many times I've seen the actual title. I've recently bought the Aliens, Indiana Jones and Back to the Future boxsets on DVD but have seen most of the movies at least 3 or 4 times each already. I'm keeping track of when I watch them, because if I buy them on DVD, but never watch them on DVD what's the point of my buying them again in the first place?
I never really thought about it that way, just knew I had a lot of movies I had never seen and owned to get through. But I think from now on I will count them this way (I seriously can't remember which of my dvds I've watched and which I haven't so will count them this way from today forward)... making the total even higher...
Old 06-08-08, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
That's the way I look at it too. If I watched the movie on TV or in the theatre, but buy the DVD and never watch it, it's wasted money. A possibly interesting statistic would be percentage of "blind buy" titles--I've seen every episode of the Simpsons, and most of Buffy, and all of Futurama, but still bought the DVDs (and checked them off only after watching the DVDs). Some shows I've seen enough episodes to know I like it enough to buy the series (Get Smart, Red Dwarf), others were total blind buys, some good (Arrested Development), some bad (Spawn the Animated Series, Sliders S3). Same for movies--that movie The Specials I knew nothing about other than the plot synopsis, but it was actually quite good for a low budget superhero satire (and for three bucks). Checking for defects isn't a priority for me, unfortunately, by the time I watch a title or all the disks in a package, the return period has run out and I'd have to hassle with the manufacturer (the one time I've done that, with Disney, it worked out quite well, however).
Old 06-08-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by dtcarson
If I watched the movie on TV or in the theatre, but buy the DVD and never watch it, it's wasted money.
I agree with this also. If I get something, it's to watch. It's not a memento to the time I did watch it. If I wanted that, I'd get a shirt.
Old 06-11-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Movies To Watch this Month: 177

Movies Watched: 5
weeds, season 3.
elizabeth HD DVD
all the president's men.
john from cincinnati.
the tudors, season 1.

New Movies Bought: +8
weeds, season 3.
john from cincinnati.
come drink with me DD.
heroes from the east DD.
be kind rewind.
the tudors, season 1.
invisible target, DD.
elizabeth: the golden age HD DVD.

June Net Change: +3

Total Net Change: +22

Movies to watch at beginning of challenge: 158

Last edited by dpz301; 06-29-08 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-18-08, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bump.
Old 06-25-08, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Those of you with hundreds or thousands (!) of unwatched titles--how do you look at that? I've been reviewing my collection, both watched and unwatched (but trying to focus on unwatched) and weighing the odds of my watching each title--if it's a "meh" and I can at least break even on selling/trading it, I'll try to sell the title, rather than having hundreds of unwatched disks staring at me, laughing at me. While I like DVDs, if I spend more than 2-3 hours or so a day watching them, I feel like I've wasted time (even if I do really enjoy the movie/program), and while I haven't done it recently, the last time I did the "unwatched minutes" count, I had literally years of content waiting on me. There will be times in my life where I have more time to watch DVDs, and times when I have very little time to watch DVDs, but barring some mega unforeseen circumstances, I think it's physically impossible for me to watch all my current unwatched content (and of course i still occasionally buy new content). So sometimes it feels a bit like tilting at windmills. And that's not even considering the cost--I'm not too broken hearted if I take a while to watch a three dollar movie, but an unwatched expensive megaset, for instance, taunts me.
Anyway, anyone else get this sense sometimes? How do you mentally deal with a massive backlog and all the other real-life demands on your time and energy, most of which are probably more important?
Old 06-25-08, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Excellent question.

I have 1313 total titles (in reality 1214 if you don't count box sets, sold items, etc...) Of those, I have 628 titles to watch.

Over the past 3 years (since I kept some old stats), my trend has been slowly increasing on the percent of titles watched. (2005 = 47%, 2006= 48%, 2007 = 50%, current = 52%)

Although my total titles to watch has gone up, I have continued to watch 1-2% of the titles I have every year. If you ignore the fact that in order to increase the percentage, I have to watch more every year, then I can finish all my titles in 25-35 years. I'm only 30 years old, so that is reasonable.

Of course I may be kidding myself because in 20 years I will probably own 1000+ more DVDs/Blu-Rays/Holo-Rays. Regardless, in my mind I do imagine myself having an unwatched DVD pile of 0.

Do I ever want to actually hit zero, though? Well, not really. As I have mentioned in many other threads, I treat my collection as more of a library than anything else. I *like* having movies or TV shows on my shelf that I haven't watched. It gives me options every time I take a look for something to watch. If I turned to my collection I had seen everything, it simply would not feel right.

To answer your other question about weighing titles based on cost or content, I really try not to think about that. Yes, it's gong to take me 4-5 times as long to finish Fight Club with all the special features and 4(!) commentaries, but that is no different to me than Planes, Trains, and Automobiles that is barebones. You can start overthinking too much if you look at it that way. Once you start treating your collection as a burden, then you have failed the whole reasoning for collecting/watching movies and TV shows on DVD.
Old 06-26-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I also consider my collection as a library.

I also refuse to sell any movies unless it's a duplicate. It's just a waste of money to do. If it's something that I don't care that much about I'll keep it because someone else might want to watch it.

I do try to avoid any blind buys to keep the bad movie count down. The problem I've had in the past is buying certain types of movies and continuing to buy them until I get around to watching them and then discover they really suck. The biggest offender would be Troma. Loved the old stuff like Toxic Avenger but the newer stuff sucks hard.

I also started keeping track of time spent watching because if I watch a season of a tv show, that could take awhile and only count as one title. If I add up the time watching it, then I feel I've accomplished a little more.
Old 06-26-08, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Those of you with hundreds or thousands (!) of unwatched titles--how do you look at that? I've been reviewing my collection, both watched and unwatched (but trying to focus on unwatched) and weighing the odds of my watching each title--if it's a "meh" and I can at least break even on selling/trading it, I'll try to sell the title, rather than having hundreds of unwatched disks staring at me, laughing at me. While I like DVDs, if I spend more than 2-3 hours or so a day watching them, I feel like I've wasted time (even if I do really enjoy the movie/program), and while I haven't done it recently, the last time I did the "unwatched minutes" count, I had literally years of content waiting on me. There will be times in my life where I have more time to watch DVDs, and times when I have very little time to watch DVDs, but barring some mega unforeseen circumstances, I think it's physically impossible for me to watch all my current unwatched content (and of course i still occasionally buy new content). So sometimes it feels a bit like tilting at windmills. And that's not even considering the cost--I'm not too broken hearted if I take a while to watch a three dollar movie, but an unwatched expensive megaset, for instance, taunts me.
Anyway, anyone else get this sense sometimes? How do you mentally deal with a massive backlog and all the other real-life demands on your time and energy, most of which are probably more important?
I’ve also had problems buying more than I can watch.

Like many of you I have an addictive personality. But, I’ve had to channel it, so instead of buying any DVD I see I usually set up a specific goal for collecting certain DVD.

I just got married, and I’m thinking in the future when I’m going to have kids. So right now I’m trying to build up my Disney (which also seem to be the best investmet DVD wise, because they never go below 10 bucks it seems)/animation dvds. I’m also on the look out for cartoons I watched as a kid, because I don’t want my kids watching the cartoons now, because they just aren’t as good. So things like Tail Spin, Duck Tales, and Gummi Bears would be something I’d buy and save for my kids to watch.

Another thing I’m trying to do is to just buy the Oscar nominated best pictures from every year. It’s fun to do, and it slowly builds my collection.

I also buy a lot of TV shows on DVD that I won’t watch because I watch them on TV. It seems weird I know, but on one hand I’d like to support the shows I like so they keep making more of them, and on the other hand, take Lost for example, I’m collecting each season so at the end I can go through and watch all of them and see if it all actually makes sense.

Lastly, I’ll agree with the people that consider their collection more of a library, or even a design piece for a room. I like to just sit and look at my collection sometimes, like some people look at fish tanks. It adds something to a room. You walk into a room full of books, and it has the same effect. Finding different ways to display and organize them is also fun. So to me it’s not all about watching them, but that’s most of it.
Old 06-28-08, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by redcat
This is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway: Do people normally count a DVD as "unwatched" if they've seen it before but they just bought the actual DVD?
I do because that's why I bought it, to watch...yeah I get behind but the intent is there.
Old 06-29-08, 10:06 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Can we have last month's stats? I fell way behind this month, but actually did ok last month, the first full month of my one-a-day minimum average plan.
Old 06-29-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
Can we have last month's stats? I fell way behind this month, but actually did ok last month, the first full month of my one-a-day minimum average plan.
I'll get it done today. It's been busy over here so I've been putting it off.
Old 06-30-08, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

july

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=534669
Old 07-01-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

June's over? No fair! I've been waiting for a dozen of my purchases to show up from the DeepDiscount sale. How was I ever supposed to catch up that way?!