Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

All Star Family Feud

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All Star Family Feud

I thought I had seen a thread on this before, but all I could find in a search were threads on Match Game and Price Is Right DVD releases. So if there was a thread I missed in my search, please merge this to that.

I just got Family Feud in the recent Deep Discount sale and quickly buzzed through disc one. Man, what a disappointment in video quality. The episodes look pretty poor, considering the quality of episodes we've seen on the game show Network. A couple episodes have an image that kind of jumps back and forth through the entire episode, and it's very annoying. You can't expect me to believe they couldn't fix some of these issues with digital editing.

I don't expect Star Wars DVD type restoration here, but taking a little extra care to find better quality source tapes would have greatly improved my enjoyment of the set.

Another complaint: the lack of chapter stops and the hour long episodes are divided into three "episodes." Again, very annoying...I wish the hour long episodes appeared as one and with chapter stops.

This release is something I would have tolerated back in 1997 or 98, but this late into the game I would hope for better.

That said, the episodes are highly enjoyable and I find time passes by fast when watching them. It's good fun to see the casts of some of these old shows that aren't on DVD (such as Real People!)

One note on the creepy side, did anybody catch Gordon Jump's response to the question at what age is a woman's figure the best? He said, "Any age over TWELVE!" Maybe the creepy pedo he played in Diff'rent Strokes was a little too close to home!

But watching this is making me nostolgic for old time 70's TV! I have my Love, American Style set I also got from Deep Discount I am ready to rip into but now I am actually contemplating picking up some Love Boat DVDs!!!

Last edited by calhoun07; 06-30-08 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-01-08, 10:02 PM

I didn't purchase the Family Feud DVD set (I never really cared much for Richard Dawson, except for the 1994-1995 syndicated episodes which were pretty good, just not as good as the Combs episodes), but this is not the first time I've heard that the video quality is poor. On the flipside, the video quality on the Match Game and Price Is Right sets (which I own both) is excellent. Maybe it has something to do with Family Feud being an ABC show while Match Game and The Price Is Right are CBS shows? Maybe CBS took better care of their video library? In any event, I'd love to see a Ray Combs Family Feud DVD set released, highlighting the six years (1988-1994) that he hosted the show on CBS and in syndication.
Old 07-01-08, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There were a few episodes of the Match Game that showed their age.

I used to wonder why the Price is Right set cost more than the other two...now I guess I understand why: they must have spent the money in acquiring the best copies of the episode and actually made the effort to make them look good for DVD.

I would have sprang an extra ten bucks out of my wallet for a better quality Family Feud set.